* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Should I come to PEI
Poll ended at September 25th, 2006, 2:01 am
Yes 59%  59%  [ 10 ]
No 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Go somewhere else in Canada 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 17
 Post subject: Immigration!
PostPosted: September 18th, 2006, 2:01 am 
Newly Created Account

Sorry might not be the right place to be posting.

I am an electrician living in the UK, both my wife and I want to move to Canada and PEI appeals.

I understand there is a bit of a problem with employment in PEI, is there much demand for Electricians?

How do Islanders feel about immigrants, in the UK there are some we like and others we don't (tend to prefer those who actually speak our language).

Just thought I would ask, as Toronto doesn't do anything for us. Vancouver is too expensive, Montreal is Nice but can't speak French and big city life is not what we are looking for.

Thanks

Last edited by andym79 on September 18th, 2006, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Immigration!
PostPosted: September 18th, 2006, 6:36 am 

andym79 wrote:
Sorry might not be the right place to be posting.

I am an electrician living in the UK, both my wife and I want to move to Canada and PEI appeals.

I understand there is a bit of a problem with employment in PEI, is there much demand for Electricians?

How do Islanders feel about immigrants, in the UK there are some we like and others we don't (tend to prefer those who actually speak our language).

Just thought I would ask, as Toronto doesn't do anything for us. Vancouver is too expensive, Montreal is Nice but can't speak French and big city live is not what we are looking for.

Thanks

You mentioned Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal. We are nothing near what big cities are.

Maybe get an Island buisness telephone book to check, and connect with Island electrical companies before you arrive? maybe you can line-up a job from there.

New Brunswick and Nova Scotia are also places you might like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18th, 2006, 7:31 am 
True Islander

ya i wouldn't think there is much more than half a dozen companies on the island.. if you are lookin for a small city look at halifax or moncton.. thats if the easy going east coast living appeals to you ... you don't make as much money as in a big city but life moves at 1/4 of the pace...

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18th, 2006, 7:52 am 
True Islander

There is a demand for people in the trades here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18th, 2006, 8:54 am 
True Islander

ya if you want to make less than 20 bucks an hour...

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18th, 2006, 8:58 am 
True Islander

the reason people are needed here is because alot of the trained guys got sick of makin atleast half of the income compaired to alot of the rest of the country... so they packed up and headed towards the money.. in alot of cases that is alberta... hell if you can make in alot of cases twice or if not more.. in a busy city then people will leave.. makin voids for the people that are trying to make a life on the island...

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18th, 2006, 10:26 am 
True Islander

Halifax may be more suitable, it's not small but not huge either the population is about size of Liverpool but probably not as spread out.

Charlottetown is about ten times (or more) smaller than Halifax we at about 40,000 versus about 400,000 for Halifax-Dartmouth.

Last edited by dhughes on September 18th, 2006, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18th, 2006, 11:46 am 

I'm not sure Halifax would be close to Liverpool in size. Halifax has a metro population of about 360,000. Liverpool has a metro population of about 1.7 million. Metro Charlottetown for comparison is roughly 60,000. If you are looking for a small town feel, any Atlantic Canadian city would suffice. However we (Charlottetown) are more than happy to welcome new citizens !

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18th, 2006, 2:34 pm 

The economy on PEI tends to be the shits, but I guess on the same token you value more the "laid back" lifestyle on the Island, to an extent I can appreciate that. Don't move to PEI though if you expect to make big money. Also, bear in mind that what you get job-wise has a lot to do with connections.

As for the climate, PEI is absolutely wonderful in the summer as you can pack off to a decent beach any ol' time you feel like it. The winter, especially from January on, can be a real bitch. Of course, anywhere in wintertime is a real bitch. PEI also has terrific natural scenery in the warmer months, not to mention the fall.

One thing you SHOULD be forewarned about, though, is the small town mentality that exists on the Island. Everybody knows everybody else, and they often can be quite hostile towards outsiders coming in. That is part of the reason why I'm no longer living there. Yes, they can be close knit but they can also be quite gossipy, and believe me, if one person hates you, the whole town hates you.

Truth be told, whenever a lot of people from another country hits the Island, after a while they say "to hell with it" and move on to richer pickings. Of course, not everyone does.

But if you want a laid back lifestyle without the big city stress and hustle, you can't do much better than the Island.

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." --Aesop

Last edited by stevebeairsto on September 18th, 2006, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18th, 2006, 2:43 pm 
Almost an Islander

A quick glance at the phone book reveals at least 46 Electrical companies in PEI. There are likely quite a few companies who would not be advertising in the yellow pages either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18th, 2006, 2:49 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

stevebeairsto wrote:
and believe me, if one person hates you, the whole town hates you.

Truth be told, whenever anybody from another country hits the Island, after a while they say "to hell with it" and move on to richer pickings.

Are you flippin' serious about this post?? If you want to share your story and what happened to you - fine. But don't dare speak for "everyone" else!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18th, 2006, 3:01 pm 

Artemis....

I revised the post earlier. I meant to say a lot of people, not everybody.

Truth be told, whenever a lot of people from another country hits the Island, after a while they say "to hell with it" and move on to richer pickings. Of course, not everyone does.

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." --Aesop

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18th, 2006, 3:04 pm 
True Islander

ya really... ya seen a bit jaded....

and on the electrial companies.. i ment big ones.. not the ones that is buddie whats his name and his brother or son or nefew.. that only do fuse boxes and plugins...

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18th, 2006, 3:11 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

stevebeairsto wrote:
, and believe me, if one person hates you, the whole town hates you.

I was also referring to this statement. I can't believe that you would actually post something like this....and the fact that you probably believe it, boggles my mind even more!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18th, 2006, 3:12 pm 
True Islander

Quote:
One thing you SHOULD be forewarned about, though, is the small town mentality that exists on the Island. Everybody knows everybody else, and they often can be quite hostile towards outsiders coming in. That is part of the reason why I'm no longer living there. Yes, they can be close knit but they can also be quite gossipy, and believe me, if one person hates you, the whole town hates you.

But if you want a laid back lifestyle without the big city stress and hustle, you can't do much better than the Island.

You are with out a doubt the whiniest person I have ever seen on here. No wonder no one liked you in your town - you constantly walk around with a chip on your shoulder and belittle everyone who glances at you.

Your experiences are unique to you. And you really need to get over this bitterness - other wise you are not going to have a very pleasant life.

Any newcomer to anywhere has to find a niche to fit into. People from away are accepted here every day - and 99.9% fit in with out a problem or even a blink from their neighbours.

Price Edward Island is a wonderful place to live. And to raise a family. yes - work can be spotty and sometimes frustrating to find. However, trades people are in huge demand here - and very difficult to find to do even simple work.

You may want to look at your own contracting business here. I doubt you would ever be out of work.

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18th, 2006, 3:17 pm 
True Islander

as an imigrant any company that hires you could be able to get the goverment to kick in some of your wages and stuff... as they are promoting hiring people from away.. you should look into that too.. it may make you more marketable..

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18th, 2006, 3:57 pm 

You are with out a doubt the whiniest person I have ever seen on here. No wonder no one liked you in your town - you constantly walk around with a chip on your shoulder and belittle everyone who glances at you.

Your experiences are unique to you. And you really need to get over this bitterness - other wise you are not going to have a very pleasant life.

So the three years of utter abuse both at home and school was completely justified then? I'm glad you think so.

Remember folks, the abuse is ALWAYS the fault of the abused...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18th, 2006, 4:08 pm 
True Islander

Not once diod I say that what you went thru was justified or even your fault.

I said get over it already. I have said that to you before. You think you have a lock on a bad childhood and shitty parents? I bet we could share story for story on who had the worst father and you would be the one in tears by the time I was done.

You have a choice - you can spend the rest of your life bitter and fostering this "po po little me" on everyone you meet looking for sympathy or you can get a straw and suck it up.

Since you bring this up in every thread where some one asks about moving here - you seem to miss the primary point. I doubt even a single one of them are going to move into your home on PEI and experience your home life - or the life that resulted in the community because you had such asses for parents.

Really - it gets very boring quickly.

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Calgary
PostPosted: September 18th, 2006, 4:10 pm 
Newly Created Account

I just looked on MLS, and whilst I might be able to make $30hr in Calgary a like for like house is $240,000 'Vs' $90,000 Charlottetown so any extra money I would make is gone on mortgage payments.

The real question as an 'outsider' would be am I likely to find work as an electrician in PEI, is the market already saturated? Would I find enough work as a self employed electrician?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18th, 2006, 4:48 pm 

The houses here are mostly wood construction. Calgary area might be brick homes? there will be differences.