* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper 25 Cent Wings at Hunter's Ale House for $0.25 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Moving to PEI!
PostPosted: April 14th, 2006, 2:42 pm 
Newly Created Account

Hi everyone, this is my first time here, so I thought I would say hello. I've been searching the web and looking up everything on PEI for the last year or so. As I have returned to UNI to train as a teacher, funds don't allow a visit unfortunately, however, I have sent my brother and sister on pioneer trips on my behalf. My brother is a city boy and was pleased to be on his way again, however my sister loved the place and we regularly talk about the possibility of us moving out in the future. We are from the UK and all three of us have been seriously considering moving for some time now. My sister is a cardiac and A & E nurse so in demand, however I never see anything indicating a teacher shortage. My career was in IT and I'm training in Maths/ICT secondary school age. Does anybody know if the apparent shortage of maths teachers has hit the island yet? The USA doesn't appeal. Australia and New Zealand are tempting, but the low crime, safety aspect for the children and the endless tales that I hear from my sister have sold me to PEI. To cap it all, my brother in law is an aerospace engineer! I was the one who found PEI after many hours of searching the Internet for a possible new life and it looks like I might be out of luck. I'd appreciate any feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 14th, 2006, 2:49 pm 
Welcome to the fourm welshscouser. PEI is a wounderful place to live and the people are friendly. The Island has the amenities of the mainland with a laid back country feel to it.

It is advisable to begin your job search efforts now, before moving to the Island. If you land a job in the IT sector or as a high school teacher you will enjoy living on PEI. If you do not find a job, you will most likely find many problems or complaints with the Island.

In either case, hope to see you around the board often. Enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 14th, 2006, 2:54 pm 

You ruled out aussie Country?....nice and warm...Kangaroos...

(...sigh!)

Here you will be an Off-Islander.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 14th, 2006, 3:04 pm 
Newly Created Account

I'm too pale to be an Aussie, don't think I could take heat! Plus the house prices are too close to here to accomodate a major relocation and safety net.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 14th, 2006, 3:07 pm 
Living in the land of Oz is a dream many Canadians have thought of at least once. Warmer weather, nicer beaches and the water won't freeze a brass monkey. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 14th, 2006, 3:15 pm 
True Islander

Welcome aboard.

There are so many Brits on this forum looking to move here that you should all get together and charter a plane when it is time to come. Be cheaper.

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 14th, 2006, 3:38 pm 
Newly Created Account

It's because we can't afford to live here any more.... let alone our kids when they grown up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 14th, 2006, 8:14 pm 
Almost an Islander

A Brit invasion indeed 8) The people are friendly here and the information extremely insightful and useful, so stick around!

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 14th, 2006, 9:04 pm 

i don't know a thing about the job prospects in that field, but i wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum welshscouser :D

(and from what i've heard from a good friend who lives in london, you're not kidding about the cost of living over there!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 14th, 2006, 11:09 pm 
True Islander

hey m8.. ya rip of england eh.. well pei is a lot colder have you looked at that aspect.. all my friends from the uk hate to visit in winter.. lol Well i am sure you will find something to do in pei even if for the mean time.. till you get on your feet.. welcome aboard

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 15th, 2006, 8:54 am 
Newly Created Account

Thank you all for your welcome. I just hope I can make it there soon. For now it's exams and less daydreaming!