Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Route #3 Eatery
PostPosted: June 24th, 2011, 8:03 pm 

New little restaurant that just recently opened in Vernon River, pretty much across the road from the post office (in the old German pottery building if you can remember back 15-20 years ago), and I must say it is delicious. My girlfriend and I grabbed some takeout from there tonight and don't have anything but good things to say.

Everything is home made, they have an awesome looking wood fired oven which most things are cooked in, the menu is small, but the food is delicious. Girlfriend had the pulled pork sandwich and fries (and coleslaw) and it was to die for. I had the meat lovers basket, which had pork ribs, beef brisket, and roasted chicken, along with fries and coleslaw, and it was delicious, especially the chicken. Fries are hand cut and absolutely delicious as well, the meat from what I can tell was all prepared in the wood fired oven.

While waiting to pay for our takeout I seen a couple people receive their pizzas that were cooked in the oven (which is in plain view when your standing at the cash) and I must say it is absolutely delicious looking, in fact I can't stop thinking about and will be there shortly after 11am tomorrow when they open to try it :)

If your passing through Vernon River please support this restaurant, I live right around the corner and want this little gem to stay open! :) Hours are 11am-7pm Thursday to Saturday and 10am-7pm Sunday. They do mention on the regular menu that there is a Sunday brunch menu but I did not see it, so not sure what it offers, might have to go up Sunday and find out :)

Post subject: Re: Route #3 Eatery
PostPosted: June 24th, 2011, 9:08 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Glad to hear that it has opened. Can't wait to try it! :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 24th, 2011, 9:47 pm 

You will not be disappointed!

PostPosted: June 25th, 2011, 7:07 pm 
Almost an Islander

Thanks for the review. We went for a drive today and next thing we knew we were past Ch'town so we headed to Vernon River for a bite at the Route 3 eatery. Small joint but the food is amazing - everything made from scratch.
I tried the meat (ribs, brisket, chicken) basket ($14.95) as well and it was very good - each piece of meat had it's own flavor and the fries were just as advertised - home cut and very tasty! This comes also with a good size portion of coleslaw made with apple cider vinegar.
My wife tried the Roast Chicken Sandwich, Fries and Coleslaw ($8.95) and said it was one of the best she has ever tried. The sandwich was served on toasted ciabatta bread with light dill mayo and lettuce . The sandwich thick and had a great crunch due to the toasted bread!
We didn't try the pizza - but they looked amazing coming out of the wood fired mud oven! In and out of the oven in 2 minutes. 2 pizza sizes - mini pizza $4.95 and the 10" for 10.95. I can't remember all the different pizzas but a couple were:

- chicken and spinach pizza
- pulled pork pizza (pork, bbq sauce, mozza)
- 3 cheese pizza (parmesan, feta, mozza, basil)
- neopolitan pizza (tomatos and mozza)

PostPosted: June 27th, 2011, 2:52 am 
Almost an Islander

:shock:

***drools***

Thanks for mentioning this - we rarely drive out that way and never would have known about it. I think I will twist my husband's arm (rubber arm!) to go for lunch tomorrow.

He would probably LOVE that meat basket!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 28th, 2011, 2:39 pm 
From Away

Went by there around 515pm yesterday and it was closed. Anyone know the hours of operation?

PostPosted: June 28th, 2011, 2:41 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Wynston wrote:
Hours are 11am-7pm Thursday to Saturday and 10am-7pm Sunday.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 28th, 2011, 6:39 pm 
Almost an Islander

Armetis wrote:
Wynston wrote:
Hours are 11am-7pm Thursday to Saturday and 10am-7pm Sunday.

Yeah, I finally paid attention to that detail today. Glad I didn't go all the way out there, hoping it was open. I can't wait to try it, though!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 29th, 2011, 10:54 am 

This place sounds great! Gonna have to try it this weekend maybe! :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 30th, 2011, 5:35 pm 
Tourist

It sounds good and very close. I just wish it was open past 7 as I don't even finish work until 6:30. On a weekday you would really have to get there quick if you worked a 9-5 in town. Hope it is open tomorrow.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 30th, 2011, 6:14 pm 
True Islander

Who's running it?

Used to be a lady out there who would open a restaurant at the drop of a hat - and man could she cook some home made meals.

You could phone ahead and put in a special order.

Will have to check it out.

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 1st, 2011, 7:28 pm 
Tourist

Went there today around 3ish. The owners are very friendly and the food was quite good. Our party of three had a "Neopolitan " pizza, a mini three cheese pizza, and 2 Greek salad and an order of fries between. The pizza was very nice with very fresh ingredients and a nice thin crust. If you are expecting a pizza like you had in Naples then you are out of luck, but it was the best pizza I have had in PEI. The Greek salad was very fresh and good but could've done without the dried parsley or whatever it was around the edges of the plate. That sort of pointless embellishment took me right back to the late 70s. A bit of fresh herbs would of been nicer, ie Greek oregano for example. The superfluous herbs and the eight mosquito bites I got while eating inside were the only drawbacks to the meal.
They have a great wood burning oven and make the most of it. They were also absolutely brilliant with our well behaved 8 year old child. They have a nice oven and as they master and develop their skills with it over time I expect some great things from them. I would've liked to see some fresh mozza on the pizza but as time passes I expect them to work their sourcing out. I don't want this sound like a negative review in any way. The food was the best of its category I have had on PEI. The fries were in the top 2. I will go back to eat there and look forward to trying other items on the menu and that is the highest praise I can give to any establishment. They hope to be open year round and I sincerely hope they make it.
For reasons of pure selfishness I would like to urge others to give it a go, well at least enough people to keep it running but not so many that I cant get in. The phone number for them is wrong in the yellow pages as of today but they expect it to be corrected soon. Their number is 651-2539. I am in no way related to the owners or have any commercial relationship with them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2011, 8:49 am 
From Away

Had supper here on friday, husband had smoked meat pizza,daughter had cheeseburger combo, and I had pulled pork sandwich combo.Everything was excellent, fries are close to best I have had, pork was tender and pizza was so good done in wood fired oven.I think this will be our new favorite place to eat, and not too far away is always a bonus!

Post subject: Route 3 Eatery: Worth the Trip!
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2011, 10:29 pm 
Newly Created Account

We happened upon this wonderful restaurant on our way to Panmure Island.

We started off just wanting a snack, and tried the mini Neopolitan pizza. The Pizza is perhaps the best we have had on this island, and I gave into temptation and tried the ribs. What a GOOD idea that was! The hand cut fries were cooked with authority and were seasoned just right.

We are looking forward to trying the pulled pork sandwich and several more of the pizzas. The biggest disappointment: It's a 40 minute ride from home! Oh, well... we can always sell the house...

Wishing Route 3 Eatery a long, prosperous and delicious run... Well Done!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 5th, 2011, 5:39 pm 

A woman I worked with owns it :) Her name is Jocelyne Martine!

philipw wrote:
Who's running it?

Used to be a lady out there who would open a restaurant at the drop of a hat - and man could she cook some home made meals.

You could phone ahead and put in a special order.

Will have to check it out.

Phil

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 6th, 2011, 3:32 pm 
Tourist

Very good food close to home!! My daughter and I had the cheese pizza mmm I am wanting there food right now witch i didn't work so late so i could make it happen. We went the 2nd weekend it was open. I really hope they stay with us for a long time it so nice to have a good tasty spot so close.
We also had the fires The best fires I have had on the island sooo far!!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 13th, 2011, 12:28 pm 
Almost an Islander

Is there any way a menu can be posted on here? Prices are irrelevant.

Do they have any dishes that include gravy, and if so, is the gravy made from scratch?

PostPosted: July 14th, 2011, 8:22 pm 
Almost an Islander

My husband and I finally stopped to eat a late lunch there, today - it was fantastic!

Jocelyne, the lady who took our orders, cooked for us and served us, was very friendly too.

I had the pulled pork sandwich - it was absolutely delicious, the bbq sauce in it was sweet and tangy, the pork had the perfect fall apart texture, and the bread was a fresh ciabbata bun that was chewy and perfect. The fries were cooked just right, and the coleslaw that came with it had a unique taste - I think they used an infused olive oil in it, and it was so delicious that I think I'll be craving it now.

My husband had the smoked brisket pizza - they smoke the brisket right there! I had a bite and it was soooo good - I could taste the wood smoke in the crust from the stone oven, and there was so much cheese on it. We will definitely be back =D>

Highly recommend.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 25th, 2011, 1:17 pm 
Tourist

So glad to read all of these positive reviews now I cannot wait to go there :wink: . We pass by on our way to Charlottetown quite regularly but usually grab a bite in Town or at Red's Corner on the way home, it is so nice to have another choice for a great place to eat. Not even that far from home that we would not make a special trip.

From all the posts I already know I want the pulled pork sandwich :oops: .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 31st, 2011, 3:16 pm 
Tourist

Today was the day! I had the pulled pork sandwich and it was everything already said about it, my first time ever and I had to take most of it home with me, it was HUGE ;)

Fiancee had barbecue pork ribs that just fell off the bone, fabulous sauce and said that they were the best he has ever eaten in a restaurant on PEI.

Friendly service, fantastic food and only about 25 minutes from home, love it. :wink:

Profile E-mail