PEIinfo Logo
  Top Banner

Listings Coming Soon
 
Home
* FAQ
* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper Chicken and Ribs at The Factory Cookhouse & Dancehall for $19.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Thursday Lunch Specials at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.80 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Thursday Lunch Special at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.80 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Prosecutors Seek Extradition of Thorsen MMR/Autism Denmark
PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 6:04 pm 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: November 26th, 2006, 12:15 am
Posts: 3243
Interesting turn of events ,FINALLY .He's only been living in the US for 5 or more years. Why isn't this ALL over the news? Of course they can't splash it all over the news cause it might hurt the vaccine industry and we all know how much money they make.Booming vaccine industry (estimated revenues of more than $1 billion a year in the U.S. alone, up from $500 million in 1990


Quote:
US Prosecutors Seek Extradition of Madsen MMR/Autism Denmark Study Author for US$1m MMR & Mercury Autism Research Fraud
Reuters reports that US prosecutors have indicted and seek the extradition of Aarhus University, Denmark’s MMR/mercury & autism researcher Poul Thorsen 49, on 13 counts of wire fraud and nine counts of money laundering. This relates to monies paid to Thorsen by the US Centers for Disease Control including for research into the relationship between autism and exposure to vaccines. Thorsen used the stolen money to buy a home in Atlanta, a Harley Davidson motorcycle and two cars, prosecutors said.

Denmark scientist accused of stealing autism research money.[ATLANTA | Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:35pm EDT]

[Read more: Dane indicted for defrauding CDC | Atlanta Business Chronicle ]

The real question is when will US prosecutors investigate the fraudulent commissioning and funding by CDC officials of studies they knew would produce the result they wanted. An example is the Tozzi paper reported by CHS here: US Research Fraud, Tax Dollars And Italian Vaccine Mercury Study

Thorsen was a visiting researcher at the Atlanta-based CDC in the 1990s who obtained US$11m in research grants for two Danish government agencies. Thorsen was in charge of administering the research funds to study the relationship between autism and exposure to vaccines. It is alleged Thorsen submitted false invoices and arranged for Aarhus University where he was employed to transfer the funds to his personal account at the CDC Federal Credit Union in Atlanta. It is said the university thought it was transferring the funds to a CDC account.

Thorsen was an author of the now notorious US CDC funded New England Journal of Medicine Madsen study of 500,000 Danish children which was used worldwide to claim there was no relationship between MMR vaccine and autistic conditions. Thorsen was also involved in publishing studies claiming there was no link between the mercury additive thiomersal in vaccines, autistic conditions and developmental disorders in children.

Numerous irregularities were subsequently revealed in the Madsen study and rates of autistic conditions in fact rose in Denmark contrary to the claims of the authors of the Madsen study: A Population-Based Study of Measles, Mumps, and Rubella Vaccination and Autism Kreesten Meldgaard Madsen, M.D., Anders Hviid, M.Sc., Mogens Vestergaard, M.D., Diana Schendel, Ph.D., Jan Wohlfahrt, M.Sc., Poul Thorsen, M.D., Jørn Olsen, M.D., and Mads Melbye, M.D. N Engl J Med 2002; 347:1477-1482 November 7, 2002.

According to US vaccine safety organisation Safeminds some of the research Thorsen engaged in substantial numbers of diagnosed autism cases disappeared annually from the data Thorsen and colleagues relied on. Thorsen engaged in email correspondence with the US Centers for Disease Control about how to produce results which were showed a more favourable safety profile for vaccines. SafeMinds is calling for an independent federal investigation of these studies for data manipulation and scientific misconduct.

From August to October of 2003, three articles on the autism-mercury controversy were published in close succession, all of which used data from a Danish registry for psychiatric research to assess the relationship between autism trends and the use of thimerosal. SafeMinds accessed the registry at the time and reported that a large percentage of diagnosed autism cases are lost from the Danish registry each year and that most of those lost cases were older children. Since the studies were based on finding fewer older thimerosal-exposed children than younger unexposed children, the validity of their conclusion exonerating thimerosal in autism was questionable and likely a result of missing records rather than true lower incidence rates among the exposed group.

In addition, internal emails obtained via FOIA document discussion between the Danish researchers and Thornsen which acknowledge that the studies did not include the latest data from 2001 where the incidence and prevalence of autism was declining which would be supportive of a vaccine connection.

The emails also include requests from Thornsen to CDC asking that the agency write letters to the journal Pediatricsencouraging them to publish the research after it had been rejected by other journals.

A top CDC official complied with the request sending a letter to the editor of the journal supporting the publication of the study which they called a “strong piece of evidence that thimerosal is not linked to autism.”

Further background information on these studies, the charges against Dr. Thorsen, and documents obtained through the Freedom of Information Act that support SafeMinds’ concerns are available on their website, http://www.safeminds.org.

http://childhealthsafety.wordpress.com/ ... mmr-fraud/

_________________
“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...” Leo Tolstoy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prosecutors Seek Extradition of Madsen MMR/Autism Denmark
PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 6:29 pm 
Offline
Junior Member

Joined: September 7th, 2010, 8:25 pm
Posts: 940
Unlike Wakefield, Thorsen's fraud had nothing to do with the actual research.

_________________
http://peicurmudgeon.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prosecutors Seek Extradition of Madsen MMR/Autism Denmark
PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 6:56 pm 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: November 26th, 2006, 12:15 am
Posts: 3243
regenerated wrote:
Unlike Wakefield, Thorsen's fraud had nothing to do with the actual research.

Well not according to the article
Quote:
Numerous irregularities were subsequently revealed in the Madsen study and rates of autistic conditions in fact rose in Denmark contrary to the claims of the authors of the Madsen study: A Population-Based Study of Measles, Mumps, and Rubella Vaccination and Autism Kreesten Meldgaard Madsen, M.D., Anders Hviid, M.Sc., Mogens Vestergaard, M.D., Diana Schendel, Ph.D., Jan Wohlfahrt, M.Sc., Poul Thorsen, M.D., Jørn Olsen, M.D., and Mads Melbye, M.D. N Engl J Med 2002; 347:1477-1482 November 7, 2002.
They will eventually get around to prosecuting for that too.

_________________
“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...” Leo Tolstoy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prosecutors Seek Extradition of Madsen MMR/Autism Denmark
PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 8:50 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: January 14th, 2007, 1:12 pm
Posts: 1032
Location: Oyster Bed Bridge
saherbal wrote:
regenerated wrote:
Unlike Wakefield, Thorsen's fraud had nothing to do with the actual research.

Well not according to the article


That "article" is a blog post.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prosecutors Seek Extradition of Madsen MMR/Autism Denmark
PostPosted: April 15th, 2011, 5:20 am 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: April 10th, 2006, 12:57 pm
Posts: 14266
Location: Charlottetown
as are most of saherbals links.

_________________
Never let logic and common sense interfere with a juicy conspiracy.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prosecutors Seek Extradition of Madsen MMR/Autism Denmark
PostPosted: April 15th, 2011, 8:53 am 
Offline
Junior Member

Joined: September 7th, 2010, 8:25 pm
Posts: 940
The anti-vaccine will grasp at anything that they think will bolster their delusions.

_________________
http://peicurmudgeon.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prosecutors Seek Extradition of Madsen MMR/Autism Denmark
PostPosted: April 15th, 2011, 10:54 am 
Offline
Junior Member

Joined: September 7th, 2010, 8:25 pm
Posts: 940
Another blog post that discusses this issue

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2011/04/tpoul_thorsen_vaccine_safety.php

_________________
http://peicurmudgeon.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prosecutors Seek Extradition of Madsen MMR/Autism Denmark
PostPosted: April 15th, 2011, 1:01 pm 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: August 23rd, 2005, 11:52 am
Posts: 11916
Location: Summerside
saherbal wrote:
Booming vaccine industry (estimated revenues of more than $1 billion a year in the U.S. alone, up from $500 million in 1990/

The US population increased by more than 61 million and inflation increased over 72% since 1990 , and the "booming" vaccine industry only managed to double revenue in that time?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prosecutors Seek Extradition of Madsen MMR/Autism Denmark
PostPosted: April 15th, 2011, 9:17 pm 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: November 26th, 2006, 12:15 am
Posts: 3243
linetwig wrote:
as are most of saherbals links.

Well then here is an article
Quote:
Dane indicted for defrauding CDC
A Danish man was indicted Wednesday on charges of wire fraud and money laundering for allegedly concocting a scheme to steal more than $1 million in autism research money from the Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The indictment charges Poul Thorsen, 49, with 13 counts of wire fraud and nine counts of money laundering. The wire fraud counts each carry a maximum of 20 years in prison and the money laundering counts each carry a maximum of 10 years in prison, with a fine of up to $250,000 for each count.

The federal government also seeks forfeiture of all property derived from the alleged offenses, including an Atlanta residence, two cars and a Harley-Davidson motorcycle.

According to U.S. Attorney Sally Quillian Yates, the charges and other information presented in court, Thorsen worked in the 1990s as a visiting scientist at the CDC Division of Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, when the CDC was soliciting grant applications for research related to infant disabilities.

Thorsen promoted the idea of awarding the grant to Denmark and provided input and guidance for the research. From 2000 to 2009, the CDC awarded more than $11 million to two governmental agencies in Denmark to study the relationship between autism and exposure to vaccines, between cerebral palsy and infection during pregnancy and between childhood development and fetal alcohol exposure.

In 2002, Thorsen moved to Denmark and became the principal investigator for the grant, responsible for administering the research money awarded by the CDC.

Once in Denmark, Thorsen allegedly began stealing the grant money by submitting fraudulent documents to have expenses supposedly related to the Danish studies be paid with the grant money. He provided the documents to the Danish government, Aarhus University and Odense University Hospital, where scientists performed research under the grant.

From February 2004 through June 2008, Thorsen allegedly submitted more than a dozen fraudulent invoices, purportedly signed by a laboratory section chief at the CDC, for reimbursement of expenses that Thorsen claimed were incurred in connection with the CDC grant. The invoices falsely claimed that a CDC laboratory had performed work and was owed grant money.

Based on these invoices, Aarhus University, where Thorsen also held a faculty position, transferred hundreds of thousands of dollars to bank accounts held at the CDC Federal Credit Union in Atlanta -- accounts that Aarhus University believed belonged to the CDC. The CDC Federal Credit Union accounts were instead personal accounts held by Thorsen, the federal government said.

After the money was transferred, Thorsen allegedly withdrew the fraud proceeds for his own personal use to buy a home in Atlanta, a Harley-Davidson motorcycle, and Audi and Honda vehicles, and to get numerous cashier’s checks.

Thorsen allegedly pocketed more than $1 million from the scheme.

Read more: Dane indicted for defrauding CDC | Atlanta Business Chronicle

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news ... g-cdc.html
Do you actually think a man tha would do this wouldn't stoop to altering data? Come on.

_________________
“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...” Leo Tolstoy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prosecutors Seek Extradition of Madsen MMR/Autism Denmark
PostPosted: April 15th, 2011, 9:42 pm 
Offline
Junior Member

Joined: September 7th, 2010, 8:25 pm
Posts: 940
Quote:
Do you actually think a man tha would do this wouldn't stoop to altering data? Come on.


Quite a comment from someone who supports Wakefield.

From what I have read, he wasn't in a position to alter data.

_________________
http://peicurmudgeon.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prosecutors Seek Extradition of Madsen MMR/Autism Denmark
PostPosted: April 16th, 2011, 7:51 am 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: November 26th, 2006, 12:15 am
Posts: 3243
regenerated wrote:
Quote:
Do you actually think a man tha would do this wouldn't stoop to altering data? Come on.


Quite a comment from someone who supports Wakefield.

From what I have read, he wasn't in a position to alter data.


And why did the Sunday times remove the article about Dr. Andrew Wakefield fixing data written by Brian Deer ? I'll tell you why Dr Brian Deer was the one that made the original complaint to the general medical council.That in itself is a conflict of interest. How do you report that someone made a complaint when it was YOU that made it? They had to remove ALL articles Dr. Brian Deer wrote. You must of missed that one. Not surprisingly. Another question when it was Dr Andrew Wakefield s turn to be heard and to have evidence heard form other people ,why did they have it in closed quarters? Seems like something fishy to me. Did you ever research who Brian Deer is related to.Prob. NOT.

Quote:
Due to this new evidence, the GMC case is falling apart at the seams because it has been revealed that the article MMR doctor Andrew Wakefield fixed data on autism by Brian Deer is little more than a pack of lies, to cast further doubt on Dr Wakefield professionalism. This has left the GMC red faced and with little real hard evidence to go on. Dr Wakefield has since made an extensive complaint to the Press Complaints Commission . Dr Wakefield has complained that the accusations of him ‘fixing data’ that Brian Deer had reported were in fact false and provided them with clear evidence supporting this. Dr Wakefield has also accused Deer of an undisclosed conflict of interest as he has not declared that he was the person who made the original complaint to the GMC.

The PCC that oversees journalism fairness has ordered the Sunday Times to take all articles written by Brian Deer on Dr Wakefield to be taken down from it’s websites .Sunday Times Ordered ‘Remove Wakefield MMR “Data Fixing” Story’

_________________
“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...” Leo Tolstoy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prosecutors Seek Extradition of Madsen MMR/Autism Denmark
PostPosted: April 16th, 2011, 8:42 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: January 14th, 2007, 1:12 pm
Posts: 1032
Location: Oyster Bed Bridge
saherbal wrote:
And why did the Sunday times remove the article about Dr. Andrew Wakefield fixing data written by Brian Deer ?


This one? http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/public/news/article148992.ece

Quote:
MMR doctor Andrew Wakefield fixed data on autism
Brian Deer
Published: 8 February 2009

THE doctor who sparked the scare over the safety of the MMR vaccine for children changed and misreported results in his research, creating the appearance of a possible link with autism, a Sunday Times investigation has found.

Confidential medical documents and interviews with witnesses have established that Andrew Wakefield manipulated patients' data, which triggered fears that the MMR triple vaccine to protect against measles, mumps and rubella was linked to the condition.

The research was published in February 1998 in an article in The Lancet medical journal. It claimed that the families of eight out of 12 children attending a routine clinic at the hospital had blamed MMR for their autism, and said that problems came on within days of the jab. The team also claimed to have discovered a new inflammatory bowel disease underlying the children's conditions.

However, our investigation, confirmed by evidence presented to the General Medical Council (GMC), reveals that: In most of the 12 cases, the children's ailments as described in The Lancet were different from their hospital and GP records. Although the research paper claimed that problems came on within days of the jab, in only one case did medical records suggest this was true, and in many of the cases medical concerns had been raised before the children were vaccinated. Hospital pathologists, looking for inflammatory bowel disease, reported in the majority of cases that the gut was normal. This was then reviewed and the Lancet paper showed them as abnormal.

Despite involving just a dozen children, the 1998 paper's impact was extraordinary. After its publication, rates of inoculation fell from 92% to below 80%. Populations acquire "herd immunity" from measles when more than 95% of people have been vaccinated.

Last week official figures showed that 1,348 confirmed cases of measles in England and Wales were reported last year, compared with 56 in 1998. Two children have died of the disease.

With two professors, John Walker-Smith and Simon Murch, Wakefield is defending himself against allegations of serious professional misconduct brought by the GMC. The charges relate to ethical aspects of the project, not its findings. All three men deny any misconduct.

Through his lawyers, Wakefield this weekend denied the issues raised by our investigation, but declined to comment further.


Sure looks to be there to me. I guess when "They had to remove ALL articles Dr. Brian Deer wrote." the "ALL" didn't really mean "all" at all. Or perhaps your sources were wrong? Or maybe you didn't check them, you just believed whatever they said?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prosecutors Seek Extradition of Madsen MMR/Autism Denmark
PostPosted: April 16th, 2011, 11:21 am 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: April 10th, 2006, 12:57 pm
Posts: 14266
Location: Charlottetown
jypsy wrote:

Sure looks to be there to me. I guess when "They had to remove ALL articles Dr. Brian Deer wrote." the "ALL" didn't really mean "all" at all. Or perhaps your sources were wrong? Or maybe you didn't check them, you just believed whatever they said?

:lol: :lol: #-o

_________________
Never let logic and common sense interfere with a juicy conspiracy.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prosecutors Seek Extradition of Madsen MMR/Autism Denmark
PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 8:10 pm 
Offline
Site Admin (volunteer)
User avatar

Joined: November 1st, 2003, 7:55 am
Posts: 16815
Location: Brackley Beach / Lake Wales
jypsy wrote:
Or maybe you didn't check them, you just believed whatever they said?

P. T. Barnum's favourite type of person :wink:

_________________
Image
Website: http://www.amandajacksonband.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/amandajacksonband
Twitter: @Amanda_J_Band


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prosecutors Seek Extradition of Madsen MMR/Autism Denmark
PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 8:32 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: January 14th, 2007, 1:12 pm
Posts: 1032
Location: Oyster Bed Bridge
along that line....
http://www.badscience.net/2011/03/why-dont-journalists-link-to-primary-sources/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prosecutors Seek Extradition of Madsen MMR/Autism Denmark
PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 8:57 pm 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: November 26th, 2006, 12:15 am
Posts: 3243
jypsy wrote:

Kinda sounds like Brian Deer leaving out pertinent facts of the Wakefield case also.

_________________
“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...” Leo Tolstoy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prosecutors Seek Extradition of Madsen MMR/Autism Denmark
PostPosted: April 20th, 2011, 6:05 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: January 14th, 2007, 1:12 pm
Posts: 1032
Location: Oyster Bed Bridge
saherbal wrote:
jypsy wrote:

Kinda sounds like Brian Deer leaving out pertinent facts of the Wakefield case also.

were you going to link to primary sources for that claim?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prosecutors Seek Extradition of Madsen MMR/Autism Denmark
PostPosted: April 20th, 2011, 7:48 pm 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: November 26th, 2006, 12:15 am
Posts: 3243
Quote:
For years some parents and scientists have raised concerns about vaccine safety, including a possible link to autism and ADD. Many independent experts have sided with government officials and other scientists who say there's no possible connection. But how "independent" are they? CBS News investigative correspondent Sharyl Attkisson shares here's what she found.
They're some of the most trusted voices in the defense of vaccine safety: the American Academy of Pediatrics, Every Child By Two, and pediatrician Dr. Paul Offit.

But CBS News has found these three have something more in common - strong financial ties to the industry whose products they promote and defend.

The vaccine industry gives millions to the Academy of Pediatrics for conferences, grants, medical education classes and even helped build their headquarters. The totals are kept secret, but public documents reveal bits and pieces.

A $342,000 payment from Wyeth, maker of the pneumococcal vaccine - which makes $2 billion a year in sales.

A $433,000 contribution from Merck, the same year the academy endorsed Merck's HPV vaccine - which made $1.5 billion a year in sales.

Another top donor: Sanofi Aventis, maker of 17 vaccines and a new five-in-one combo shot just added to the childhood vaccine schedule last month.

Every Child By Two, a group that promotes early immunization for all children, admits the group takes money from the vaccine industry, too - but wouldn't tell us how much.

A spokesman told CBS News: "There are simply no conflicts to be unearthed." But guess who's listed as the group's treasurers? Officials from Wyeth and a paid advisor to big pharmaceutical clients.

Then there's Paul Offit, perhaps the most widely-quoted defender of vaccine safety.

He's gone so far as to say babies can tolerate "10,000 vaccines at once."

This is how Offit described himself in a previous interview: "I'm the chief of infectious disease at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and a professor of pediatrics at Penn's medical school," he said.

Offit was not willing to be interviewed on this subject but like others in this CBS News investigation, he has strong industry ties. In fact, he's a vaccine industry insider.

Offit holds in a $1.5 million dollar research chair at Children's Hospital, funded by Merck. He holds the patent on an anti-diarrhea vaccine he developed with Merck, Rotateq, which has prevented thousands of hospitalizations.

And future royalties for the vaccine were just sold for $182 million cash. Dr. Offit's share of vaccine profits? Unknown.
There's nothing illegal about the financial relationships, but to critics, they pose a serious risk for conflicts of interest. As one member of Congress put it, money from the pharmaceutical industry can shape the practices of those who hold themselves out to be "independent."

The American Academy of Pediatrics, Every Child By Two and Dr. Offit would not agree to interviews, but all told us they're up front about the money they receive, and it doesn't sway their opinions.

Today's immunization schedule now calls for kids to get 55 doses of vaccines by age 6.

Ideally, it makes for a healthier society. But critics worry that industry ties could impact the advice given to the public about all those vaccines.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/07/ ... 6175.shtml
Quote:
For years, members of Congress have been investigating financial ties between pharmaceutical companies and the government, doctors and researchers, research hospitals, colleges and universities. Sen. Charles Grassley, who has most recently been digging into money links between drug companies and the American Psychiatric Association, puts it this way: "I have come to understand that money from the pharmaceutical industry can shape the practices of nonprofit organizations that purport to be independent in their viewpoints and actions."

In a letter to its members, the APA says it supports complete transparency and plans to provide Grassley with the information he's requested: "a complete accounting of APA revenues, except from advertising in our journals, from pharmaceutical companies, starting in 2003." The APA notes: "We are not alone; recent public focus on relationships between medicine and the pharmaceutical industry is a challenge for the whole field of medicine."

Indeed, the APA is not alone in being the subject of public focus and scrutiny for its relationships with the pharmaceutical industry. Tonight, on the CBS Evening News, we dig into the allegations of financial conflicts of interest among some widely-quoted "independent" voices in the debates over vaccine safety. We weren't as lucky as Grassley: The groups we approached refused to provide us with a full accounting of their financial relationships. Although two of the groups receive tax benefits for their non-profit status, they are not required to file such details with the IRS and would not provide them to us, either.

In the case of a prominent vaccine specialist who is routinely offered up as an "independent" voice to speak on vaccine safety, he, too, was unwilling to disclose to us how much remuneration he's received from the vaccine industry.

And the vaccine companies we asked? They said they would not, or could not give such information as: financial support they give to educational institutions, physicians and research projects; a list of outside physicians who are on the payroll as researchers, speakers, advisors or consultants; and an accounting of funding provided to non-profits, medical organizations and government entities such as IOM, NIH, CDC and FDA. With all of those refusals, you might be surprised to find we had enough information to put together a story for tonight's CBS Evening News. But you might be more surprised at what we did find. And we'll show you tonight.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-500803_162- ... 00803.html
ya, lol I'd say they were independent ,ON THE MONEY. lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:
The Sunday Times last weekend resumed its witch-hunt against Andrew Wakefield, the gastro-enterologist who warned against the possible risks to children of the MMR vaccine following a paper he wrote in the Lancet in 1998. In this paper, he described a new childhood syndrome which he called autistic enterocolitis, which suggested a connection between a new type of bowel disease and autistic spectrum disorder and reported the fact that some of the parents of the children in the study thought there was a connection between these symptoms and the MMR vaccine. The titanic furore which subsequently engulfed Wakefield, in which virtually the entire medical establishment turned on him, effectively forced him out of Britain and has resulted in his being investigated by the General Medical Council for serious misconduct.

The campaign against Wakefield in the Sunday Times has been led by journalist Brian Deer. Last weekend, the paper published a two-page ‘investigation’ and a front-page spin-off story alleging that confidential medical documents and interviews with witnesses have established Wakefield had changed and misreported results in his research, creating the appearance of a possible link with autism...amidst various other lurid charges. Deer claimed that his ‘investigation’ was confirmed by evidence presented to the General Medical Council

What the Sunday Times did not report was that the GMC investigation into Wakefield was triggered by a complaint from...[color=#0000FF] Brian Deer, who furnished the allegations against him four years ago.[/color] He has thus been reporting upon the hearing into his own complaint. Since when has a reputable paper published a story by a reporter who is actually part of that story himself -- without saying so – and who uses information arising from the disciplinary hearing which he himself has instigated and which is investigating allegations he himself made in the first place?

Wakefield has issued a detailed refutation of Deer’s allegations, reported here. I reproduce his response below in full ( for clarity, I set out Wakefield’s responses to Deer in bold type and identified by the letter W).

W: Below is a list of the allegations made by Brain Deer against me, received on Friday 6th February 2009, 2 days prior to his publishing in the UK’s Sunday Times newspaper.

Dear Dr Wakefield,

I'm directed by editors managing my investigation of the MMR matter for The Sunday Times to inform you that we intend to publish further on this topic, and particularly on your role in it. It is now some five years since I first sought to discuss with you your work, and I've made numerous attempts to do so. As you will appreciate, the safety of children by means of vaccination is an unparalleled issue of public interest and concern.

As you will know, not least as a result of our concurrent attendance at the General Medical Council fitness to practise hearing into your conduct, I'm now extremely familiar with the precise medical histories, diagnoses and so forth of the children enrolled for your study, published in the Lancet on 28 February 1998. Based on this knowledge, and other sources of information, including the cooperation of families enrolled in your research, I must put to you, for your response, a number of serious matters.

(1)That you repeatedly, and without justification, changed and misreported findings from those children for publication in the Lancet.

I cite, for instance, three children who you represented as having regressive autism, who in fact had Asperger's disorder, or in one of those cases PDAS, which are not regressive and involve no loss of language or other basic skills. You claim that the paper is a series of "previously normal" children, but medical records - which you had a duty to read and understand - show that some five of the 12 children were subject to concerns prior to vaccination, and were not "normal". Other children, who you claimed to have suffered their first "behavioural symptoms" within days of vaccination, in fact had none for months. In the cases of some 8 children - two thirds of the total - you changed normal histopathology results to abnormal results, in a so-called "research review", despite claiming that the series was merely a clinical report.

W: The diagnoses reported in the Lancet were accurate based upon the information provided to the clinicians and review of the available records. (I) Where there was considered to be a pre-existing developmental problem, this was accurately reported in the Lancet paper. (II) This is not the place to get into a detailed discussion on developmental regression which is still a subject of debate

experts in child development and is certainly not something about which Deer has any expertise.

It is a matter of fact that I did not play any part whatsoever in making the microscopic diagnoses of inflammation on any biopsy from any child investigated at the Royal Free Hospital. Intestinal tissues were examined, and the children’s pathology documented, by two doctors (not me) employed in the Department of Histopathology who were experienced in bowel disease, using an agreed protocol to ensure rigor and consistency . These doctors were co-authors on the paper. The same tissues were reviewed by Professor Walker-Smith and his team. I merely entered the documented findings into the Lancet paper. I did not “change” any findings as alleged. The paper was then reviewed by the relevant authors prior to submission to the Lancet in order to confirm that the diagnoses were correct. The findings reported in the Lancet are, in the opinion of the relevant authors, correct. This is a matter of record at the GMC.

(2) That, without justification, you omitted parental links to MMR in the case of one quarter of the children, in order to reach your unsubstantiated claim in the paper that problems came on within days.

Contrary to your claim that the parents of 8 of 12 children linked MMR to their child's problems, in fact the parents of 11 of the children made this connection whilst at the Royal Free. The additional, unreported, children are Child Five, Child Nine and Child Twelve. Their parents said that problems came on between one and four months after MMR, and their hospital records, which you had access to (and in one case wrote), show this. Through the device of their omission, you contrived to create the appearance of a clearcut temporal link between MMR and autism, when there was none such. Furthermore, by their omission, you contrived to create the appearance that these children were routine clinical cases passing through the hospital, when in fact, as you knew, they were recruited, marshalled and referred in collaboration between you, JABS and a solicitor. As such, they were bound to blame MMR when they came to the hospital.

W: This is a particularly tortuous argument that reflects Deer’s grasp (or lack of it) on both the scientific process and the evidence. Parents of 8 of the 12 children made the link between MMR vaccination and onset of symptoms contemporaneously. Other parents made the link retrospectively, that is, some years later. We reported on those 8 who made the link at the time of their child’s deterioration and excluded those who made the link later in order to remove any bias associated with recall that may have been prompted by, for example, media coverage. To have done otherwise would have been potentially misleading.

In fact, when all of the medical and parental records were made available via the GMC many years later, it became apparent that one further parent had made the link with MMR contemporaneously, but had remained silent on this at the request of her husband because it had led to doctors dismissing their concerns about their child’s medical problems on the basis that they were “just looking for something to blame.” This in itself is a telling indictment of how a possible cause risks being overlooked because of the prejudice of some physicians.

The second part of this allegation, which is dependent upon the fallacy in the first part, is nonsense. The route by which the children came to the Royal Free was one driven by clinical need and had nothing whatsoever to do with the lawyer Richard Barr. The facts of this matter and in particular the route by which the children came to be seen by Professor Walker-Smith, have been reported to the GMC. This allegation – one which Deer has rehashed in spite of the evidence – has no basis in fact.

It need hardly be stated again after so many occasions in the GMC but the leading, primary and principal reason all twelve children ended up at the Royal Free, was that they had bowel or 'stomach' problems. The matter of vaccination was brought up by parents because they thought that it was relevant to the clinical diagnosis.

(3) That the paper you wrote and published in the Lancet was a device, assisting you in obtaining money from the Legal Aid Board.

I draw to your attention your prior contractual undertaking with Mr Barr, and your joint undertaking to the Legal Aid Board to attempt to find a "new syndrome". This latter undertaking was entered into before any of the children were admitted to the Royal Free, or you could ever have known of any syndrome. Eighteen months later, you would declare that you had found precisely such a syndrome, based on the 8/12 temporal link, and an alleged coincidence of regressive autism and inflammatory bowel disease. The records show that neither of these are valid. Without the public ever suspecting, the route by which you reached this claim required the wholesale changing and misreporting of data. Following your claims, to which you attached the reputations of 12 other, generally unwitting, doctors, you successfully extracted substantial sums of money from the legal aid fund, not least for the business Unigenetics, of which you were a director, and for yourself personally. We have previously reported that the Legal Services Commission says that you pocketed more than £435,000, plus expenses. The amounts you received increased as the scare you created continued: the grossest possible conflict of interest.

W: Deer is wrong on all counts. The purpose of the contract with Mr Barr was to conduct a scientific study to look for measles virus proteins in the bowel of children (initially those with Crohn’s disease and later, to include those with autism and intestinal symptoms (such as abdominal pain and diarrhea) that required endoscopic examination and biopsy. On the other hand, the clinical basis for the investigation of the autistic children has been established by my pediatric colleagues – two of the most experienced pediatric gastroenterologists worldwide - beyond any reasonable doubt.

Deer has completely missed the point; the “syndrome” that we have accurately and reproducibly described is the combination of autistic regression, swelling of the lymph glands in the last part of the small intestine (ileum) and inflammation of the colon. Any association of this syndrome with MMR vaccine remains to be confirmed and, in contrast with Deer’s claim, the syndrome does not require any temporal link to MMR vaccination at all. This has been made clear to the GMC.

The children who turned out to suffer from the “syndrome” were referred as early as May 1995, long before I had ever heard of Richard Barr or vaccine litigation. Deer is aware of this fact.

Any payment that I received over the course of working for more than 7 years as a expert to the UK courts in the MMR litigation – substantially less than the sum Deer claims – was donated to an initiative to build a new center for the investigation and care of patients with inflammatory bowel disease at the Royal Free. This matter is described in more detail in a forthcoming essay by Bill Long, access to which will be posted in due course at http://www.drbilllong.com/index.html.

I resigned from Unigenetics and was not involved in the dealings of this company with the Legal Aid Board.

Finally, I did not “create” a scare but rather, I responded to a scare that parents brought to my attention. To have ignored their concerns would have been professional negligence.

(4) That, additional to the above, in recent years you have reviewed your changes and misreportings in the Lancet, and yet you have neither withdrawn your claims in the paper, nor sincerely and publicly apologised for your conduct, as you should have done.

As a result of the GMC hearings, you have been supplied with all the documentation, and, indeed, were last year taken by counsel through the changes and misreportings. There can be no question that you know the precise details of these children. Particularly given outbreaks of measles, widely reported in UK media most recently today, and the appalling burden of guilt laid on the parents of autistic children who believe it was their own fault for vaccinating their child, you had an absolute duty to come forward at the earliest opportunity and make the position clear. You have not done so, but indeed continue to display the paper's claims on your website, and to campaign against MMR.

W: The evidence presented by me to the GMC described precisely and accurately the basis of the findings reported in the Lancet. The absence of any ‘misreporting’ is a matter of record both in my oral testimony and in that of my clinical colleagues. There is absolutely nothing either to withdraw or to apologize for in this matter. It is, however, a tragedy that the continued misrepresentation of the facts has had a negative impact on the ability of affected children to get access to the care that they so desperately need.

(5) That, overall, you created the appearance of a possible link between MMR and autism, when you knew, or should have known, that there was no reasonable basis for this in the histories of those children, and, as a result have caused immense and growing harm, unnecessary concern and waste of public money.

In summary, not one of the 12 children is free of serious doubt as to the manner in which their case has been reported by you. Indeed, there is no real evidence that any of the children were as you reported in the Lancet. When lack of evidence of previous normality, lack of evidence of regression, lack of evidence of inflammatory bowel disease, and lack of any temporal link as you describe, are taken into account, there was no basis in the records for your claim to have discovered any new syndrome at all.

W: Based upon the parental histories of regression in their children after MMR vaccine, the known link between measles and brain damage including autism (III)and the findings in the children, there was and continues to be every reasonable basis for suspecting a possible link between MMR vaccination and autistic regression.

The reporting of the children in the Lancet paper is an accurate account of the clinical histories as reported to Professor Walker-Smith and his clinical colleagues. The normality or otherwise of the children’s development was evident in the medical history taken by these clinicians, and backed up by the Health Visitor’s (IV) contemporaneous record of the respective child’s development. The claim to have detected a possible new syndrome was valid and, in contrast with Deer’ false claim, is supported by confirmation of the original findings by others. (V)

As you will see, the issues we raise with you are not the same as the charges you face before the GMC, although the fitness to practise hearings have, as expected, yielded important insights and evidence. It is clear that, particularly in the context of measles outbreaks in the UK, US, Europe and now Australasia, it is important that the public be urgently informed of the true position at the earliest possible date.

W: On the contrary, the issues raised by Deer are, in many respects, identical to those raised by him on previous occasions. One can only imagine that, as the evidence has emerged at the GMC, the fallacy of Deer’s original allegations has become clear. The timing and content of Deer’s latest allegations and the published article, his behavior at the GMC hearing (See “The Incident” by Martin Walker (VI) ), and recent admissions of failings in the area of vaccine safety by the US National Vaccine Advisory Committee, suggest a degree of desperation on the part of Deer and those with whom he is working.

Measles outbreaks are preventable, immediately, by offering to parents with entirely valid concerns about the safety of MMR vaccine, a choice of single measles vaccine; not to do so is unethical and puts the vaccine policy, “our way or no way”, before the wellbeing of children.

There is absolutely no question of the continuing investigation and treatment of these children coming to a halt because of this or any other kind of subversive tactic.*

http://www.spectator.co.uk/melaniephill ... ield.thtml
Another Question i have, how did Brian Deer get hold of Medical documents that even Andrew Wakefield and his Co- authors didn't and couldn't have gotten until years later?

_________________
“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...” Leo Tolstoy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prosecutors Seek Extradition of Madsen MMR/Autism Denmark
PostPosted: April 21st, 2011, 5:18 am 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: April 10th, 2006, 12:57 pm
Posts: 14266
Location: Charlottetown
Quote:
Give up PLEASE,PLEASE ,your NOT going to convince me,

_________________
Never let logic and common sense interfere with a juicy conspiracy.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prosecutors Seek Extradition of Madsen MMR/Autism Denmark
PostPosted: April 21st, 2011, 6:37 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: January 14th, 2007, 1:12 pm
Posts: 1032
Location: Oyster Bed Bridge
The concept of "primary sources" appears to be totally lost on saherbal.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group