* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper 25 Cent Wings at Hunter's Ale House for $0.25 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Okay - I've Arrived.
PostPosted: August 30th, 2005, 9:01 am 
True Islander

Hello everyone - I've talked with a couple of you a few times about my moving woes...but I have finally arrived and everything is actually going quite well.

For those who don't remember or don't know, my husband and I have relocated to PEI (Charlottetown) from Alberta for my husband's work. He's going to be managing a new store that's opening up in a couple months.

Anyway, the move was like the week from hell...lots of mix ups and a very tired two year old on an eight hour plane ride (argh)...but with all that mess aside, we made it, got into our house, and are slowly getting settled.

Brian's been doing a lot of travelling for work while we wait for the store to get ready to go...so he's in Moncton a lot and doing interviews for employees, etc...

My daughter and I are doing what we can to get involved in the community - baby steps, of course. We've started going to this great play group 2X a week and that's been a godsend for her and I to meet some new people. She's so used to daycare, but until my transfer comes through (not likely as there does not seem to be many public service jobs around), she is stuck with me and well, I apparently can get boring??!! :roll:

So..I guess the short of it is the island is beautiful and I am finally finding my way around Charlottetown (took a bit)...we're having a good time thus far!

Thanks for asking Lanc :)

Les

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2005, 9:09 am 

Location: hmmm handle says from Souris, but in Ch-town........sounds like a toughie
its good to hear u made it safely...and just in time too....seeing as we are planning the next m&g

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2005, 9:10 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Welcome to the Island, Les!

Hopefully, you and Brian will be able to make it to one of our Meet & Greets and get to meet a few of the weird assortment of characters that patronize this discussion board :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2005, 9:17 am 
True Islander

Welcome to the Island, Les!

Lol Kreskin. Weird characters? And here I thgought we were just opinionated blowhards. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: welcome
PostPosted: August 30th, 2005, 9:18 am 
True Islander

Welcome to the Island - you'll enjoy the summer/fall/spring but hate the
winter - that's for sure.

Take care.....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2005, 9:19 am 
Almost an Islander

welcome to the island! I might check out the chances program on Thursday, maybe we'll meet then. Good luck with the unpacking!! Take your time, I was told I had at least two years to unpack all my boxes. :)

-g

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2005, 9:40 am 

Welcome to the Island. I know you will love it here. Even though people bitch and complain there is nothing to do on the Island, you are smart by taking the babysteps. There is lots to do, if you open your mind up, and try new things. Our meet and greets are fun, even though I haven't been to the last few, but it is a great place to meet the board members here. Great bunch of people. So unpack one box at a time, and go out and explore the Island. We welcome you with open arms! :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2005, 10:26 am 

Yes, welcome to the Island and hope to meet you at the meet and greets.

Don't worry about unpacking. I still have boxes in the attic that I haven't unpacked from our last move 30 years ago. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2005, 10:28 am 
True Islander

Welcome aboard.

Philip W

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2005, 10:44 am 

They are right about islanders being so nice and welcoming....it's true, I came here 2 yrs ago from Kentucky. No finer people in the world than the island folk. ;) Welcome to PEI and enjoy. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2005, 2:45 pm 
True Islander

Thanks for the welcomes! :) Yes I was thinking I would try to make it to a meet & greet sometime...so we'll see what happens.

We've had really good experiences so far on the Island, granted today would definitely be an exception. What the heck is it with car dealerships and crappy service??? We have had our car at the dealer since 8 AM for an inspection and windshield replacement and they keeps saying "half hour more" "another forty-five minutes". Good lord, the car is going to be obsolete by the time they get their stuff together. It's absolutey ridiculous. This isn't isolated either as our original appointment was for yesterday which they canned because they were 15 cars behind...terrible.

Anyway, hopefully they call soon or I'll tear a strip or two off of someone! :evil:

Cheers!!

Les

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2005, 3:18 pm 
Almost an Islander

Welcome to THE Island. We've been here 15 years now - the longest we ever stayed in one place - and we still love it. As for your car troubles - I can sympatize - as an old Islander once told us - all you get is "pfrommises" = horses hot air. Better get used to it - relax and enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2005, 3:21 pm 
True Islander

Yes - Island time.

When I came home in '89 - Island time drove me around the bend until I got used to it again.

When someone tells you Tuesday at 10 make sure they specify exactly what week they mean - and expect them at 2pm the following Tuesday.

Philip W

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2005, 5:23 pm 
True Islander

Nooo...oh lordy Island time will be something to get used to that's for sure. I'm anal rententive (shhh don't tell anyone) when it comes to punctuality so of course it drives me absolutely MAD when everyone else doesn't follow suit. That's okay - something to adapt to...I can manage!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2005, 5:24 pm 
True Islander

so, um.. is your car done yet???

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2005, 5:36 pm 
True Islander

Haha - ohhh boy is it done. Took a couple phone calls to a couple places but I managed to get it back. The sad thing is, it was done at 2:00...and we had called at 1, 2, 3, 4 to see if it was done always being told "another half hour". Then I called the windshield place who said it had been done for two hours already...

I called the dealership and they said they didn't have enough "help" to call us and thusly it sits in the parking lot. GOOD GRIEF!! Now I get to call tomorrow to see why they overcharged us from the quote provided...sigh...someone shoot me.

So long story short, we got it back and it works well...if not for a few headaches and missed appointments during the day... :shock:

Les