Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Taco Bar at Chartwells UPEI for $4.99 [Remind Me]

Supper Martini Mondays at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $5.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Monday Lunch Special at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.80 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Jobs on this island
PostPosted: April 27th, 2005, 8:36 pm 
Newly Created Account

Hello all,

I'm looking at moving here at the end of next month and I'm here on the island for the week and I've been job hunting high and low in the accounting field and can't turn up squat. Also trying to find a DECENT apartment in Charlottetown using the Guardian's classifieds hasn't worked all that well. Any suggestions? Looking for a 2 BR apartment in a real quiet place that is walkable to the downtown.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 27th, 2005, 10:10 pm 
From Away

I always found best way to find an apartment was to just drive around...
as for the accounting jobs there should be some of those... most jobs in accounting are well any job on the isle is word of mouth.. but usually some posted in the weekend guardian...

could also try www.workopolis.com or www.monster.ca there are jobs posted on there or www.careerbeacon.ca is a good one as well..

good luck

you could always try places like bevan enterprises too for an apartment... they have lots all over town...

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 27th, 2005, 10:15 pm 
True Islander

Off the top of my head the CDP and Atlantic Lotto were looking for accountants, not sure if the positions are filled. The CDP had an ad in the Guardian paper a week or two ago and there was a job fair last Monday.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 28th, 2005, 2:24 am 
True Islander

There are 2bdrm apartments, nice ones, all over.... general pricing is $550-600 a month, with heat included....
I know there's a real nice 2bdrm apartment for rent on Upper Prince Street... 23 Upper Prince Street, I think it was.... it's an older building... looks like crap on the outside.. but inside, it's beautiful... a bit pricey, though, at $640 a month, heat included.... it's owned by a fellow named John Hughes, if you want to take a look... pm me and I'll get you the number...
Another one that I saw that was pretty nice was on Rochford street... it's upstairs... 2 bedrooms... very bright... and has a balcony... for $575 a month heated... I couldn't take that one, as nice as it was... I can't climb stairs...
As for jobs in the accounting field.. keep an eye on the Guardian.. and make yourself known at places you'd like to work... they may not have a spot for you right now, but they'll remember you when they do.. That's how I got my current job... in the meantime, take what you can get... and find out where the HRDC office and both food banks are located... you'll probably need them at some point...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Hi Welcome aboard
PostPosted: April 28th, 2005, 12:09 pm 
Almost an Islander

Hi thanks for posting here. I am not up on the accounting world. But I do know that this link will lead you too MRSB in Charlottetown. They set up just this past winter right downtown on the corner across from the confederation center. May be worth talking to them. http://www.mrsbgroup.com/about_dfk.cfm

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Thank you for the replies
PostPosted: April 29th, 2005, 6:12 pm 
Newly Created Account

Hello all,

Thank you for replying to my posting regarding job hunting. I've been on the island for the past few days searching for jobs before going home to pack up for our final move here as we now have an apartment on Grafton Street.

Right now I'm searching for working in accounting (yes, I've spoken to all the larger firms already in the area) and can do American personal income taxes (for those Americans who live or go to school here), but I can also repair and upgrade computers since I've spent 12 years in the IT industry across a broad range of companies in various markets. All things set aside, it looks like the job market is kind of tight here overall or is that an incorrect assumption on my part?

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 29th, 2005, 11:39 pm 
True Islander

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of variation...... you've got the 4 main ones... fishing, farming, government, and call centre.. then there's the seasonal tourism jobs.. but they go mostly to high school students... everyobody else works at crap minimum wage jobs.. some places pay more than that, but most don't...
You'd be better off starting up your own business... Lord knows I've been racking my brain trying to think of some kind of home based business for myself... but I haven't come up with anything.. well... at least nothing legal.... ;)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 30th, 2005, 1:53 am 

PEI should seriously look at diversifying its economy.

All too often the best jobs on PEI are in the government, and in many instances it's not even a question of how qualified you are to get them, but whom you know....

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." --Aesop

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 30th, 2005, 11:13 am 

stevebeairsto wrote:

All too often the best jobs on PEI are in the government, and in many instances it's not even a question of how qualified you are to get them, but whom you know....

That's how I got a government job a few years ago. During the interview, my employer learned my Aunt was a campaigner for the PEI PC party. He even mentioned her by first name basis, so he muct of knew her personally. Next day, I got a call telling me that I got the job. I was hardly asked any questions related to the job itself after about 10 minutes of talking. So there you go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 30th, 2005, 12:47 pm 
True Islander

stevebeairsto wrote:

snip....

I agree - lets bring in strippers. Of both sexes.

Philip W

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 30th, 2005, 2:14 pm 
True Islander

LOL Philip...ya got my vote.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 30th, 2005, 7:21 pm 
True Islander

Mine too.. WooHoo!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2005, 12:13 pm 
True Islander

Jobs do seem slightly lacking, unfortunately. With our transfer to PEI looming, I'm concerned about finding myself a job that even remotely compares in salary and work to what I'm doing now. Thankfully, I should be able to get a priority posting as a federal gov't employee...but even that's a long shot I think.

What is even more frustrating is that degrees don't get people anywhere these days...with a BSW (Social Work) I have had a hell of a time in Alberta finding something related to my education and have since been thrown into some terrific paper pushing jobs...thankfully these jobs are giving me experience that will hopefully help me find a social policy related job or something along those lines one day!!

Needless to say, I may enjoy taking a few months off when we first move and acclimate myself and our 2 year old daughter to Charlottetown and the rest of the island while my husband slaves away at work hehe. Mom & Tot's group, here I come!

Good luck on your job search.

Les