* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special steak & fries at outriders for $5.49 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Why this American loves PEI !!!
PostPosted: March 15th, 2005, 6:43 pm 

Hey all, new to the board here.

I've been checking out the forum and it seems really cool. Hope you don't mind having non-islanders aboard too. :)

I've been reading a few posts talking about PEI and how some think it may suck, but I just love it here.

I grew up in the South, Kentucky to be exact. I began vacationing up here since I was 14, I am 26 now and am living here while going to school. Everyone has been so good to me and kind. Yeah of course, I get the George Bush jokes, but that's to be expected, I totally agree with them, being that I voted for Kerry myself...lol

There's something special about PEI, you should think yourselves lucky to live here. I hope to permanently, that is if I can get my dual citizenship when my visa runs out.

I have many friends here, sadly a few of them have had to leave the island in search of better jobs. A guy I was seeing had to relocate to Alberta just so he could make money to start building a house back here on PEI. The job market isn't kind to many people here. Many of the younger population do want to get off the island as soon as they get out of highshool, but I think that as they get older, they will realize they had a good thing going while here. Every place has it's ups and downs.

I lived in a big city before coming here, it's where the Kentucky Derby and horse racing elite come to each year. The area that is known for producing many celebs, Johnny Depp, Ashley Judd, Woody Harrelson and George Clooney to name a few. There were tons of jobs there, many things to do and places to go. However people don't really care about eachother there like they do here. If you were to break down on the highway, it's likely that noone would stop to help, here, I'm sure someone would within 10 minutes. Islanders have this sense of pride about them. They are aware of their roots and where their families come from.

I've traveled around to other parts of Canada and I gotta tell you. Some of the other places I've been to have been just terrible. I was recently stuck at the Montreal airport for 6 hours, where they were rude and thought basically if you didn't speak French you were beneath them. I had a roomie from Quebec a bit ago, who would tell me that islanders were uncultured and uneducated. It seemed like to me that she was the ignorant one.

Be proud of this little island, there's alot to be thankful for. Everywhere you look in the warmer months looks like it could be straight off of a post card. The people know their heritage and are proud of it. Also, there are no finer people in Canada than islanders. Their hard work ethic and pride mixed with their laid back ways could a very good lesson to other parts of Canada.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2005, 6:58 pm 

Many of the younger population do want to get off the island as soon as they get out of highshool, but I think that as they get older, they will realize they had a good thing going while here. Every place has it's ups and downs.

I didn't have much of a good thing going at all when I was living back there. Not unless you want to call unrelenting small town hostility, pettiness, bullying and ostracism a good thing. I've found Islanders on the whole to be EXTREMELY rude and ignorant, and I was SOOOO glad when I left and headed out west at the tender age of 20. The Island is a great place in the physical sense, but the society/culture stinks!

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." --Aesop

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Why this American loves PEI !!!
PostPosted: March 15th, 2005, 7:09 pm 

[quote="SAPPHIRE_PHOENIX"]Hey all, new to the board here.

Troll?

Gee a Kentucky Belle! Do you wear one of those big dresses without panties? Watched Deadwood from HBO two nights ago, were you there?

Calico, trying to spice things up..

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2005, 7:26 pm 

LOL....no I am not a troll or nor do I wear those crazy "Gone with the Wind" style dresses....I stumbled upon this forum while doing a search on comparisons of Eastlink and Aliant internet service. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2005, 7:30 pm 

One thing I will say about PEI, as far as I know it has never practiced slavery or forced labor with people of other skin colors, unlike some other parts of the world I could mention. But then, we've never had any plantation cash crops either, so who's to say...

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." --Aesop

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2005, 7:58 pm 

well, Kentucky was neutral in the whole issue....just in case you didn't know....

Kentucky was one of the "border states" in the Civil War, both geographically and politically. It was situated on the dividing line between the northern and southern regions of the United States. And it was one of only a few slave states that opted to stay in the Union. Though the Commonwealth was officially neutral, its citizens were deeply divided over the issues that caused the Civil War, and over the war itself -- a division symbolized by the fact that both Civil War presidents, Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis, were Kentucky native sons.

When President Lincoln (who is a native Kentuckian as mentioned above) issued the Emancipation Proclamation in January of 1863, all slaves in the Confederacy were legally set free.

But yeah I see what you mean I guess. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2005, 8:13 pm 

Welcome to the board. Pay no heed to Steve - he gets like that when his Prep H wears off. So you're in school here? AVC I assume?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2005, 8:22 pm 

Thanks for the welcome Hagar. :) You are close. I am trying to get into AVC, I am in my last year of undergrad at UPEI currently. I am 26 but I am late on finishing up because I spent 3 years in the US Army.

I came up here for 2 reasons, AVC and thinking that I had found love. (We can all say Awwww at once now lol) ...well, the love part didn't work out but I loved PEI so much I stayed to finish my schooling after all. :)

Love your signature by the way. "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "HOLY s#!t! WHAT A RIDE!" So very true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2005, 8:46 pm 
True Islander

Yeah welcome and thanks for the comments about the Island.

26 and where you are now is nothing to worry about. (Try 35 and just starting! ...sort of)

Watch out for those horses and their front legs!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2005, 8:49 pm 

Thanks for your kind words David. :)

Oh trust me I'll be careful, the front legs can hurt, but the back legs if they get you just right, can easily break bones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2005, 9:00 pm 
True Islander

You're welcome.

I thought the front were worse. I'll have to watch out for all four. Not that I'm around horses much anyway! :P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2005, 9:36 pm 

Well just think of it as "learning something new everyday" and that's usually a good thing, right? ;) LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2005, 10:36 pm 

I've run into some Canadians, especially from the big cities, who think that Islanders are a bunch of yokels. However, the perception with most people that I meet (and I meet a lot of them given my line of work), is that we are a friendly and welcoming province of people. It's not too often I run into extremely rude people here.

I don't think we are as uncultured and backwards as those in other provinces think. Perhaps some years ago when the average Islander thought that travelling to Moncton was a big trip. More Islanders are getting out more, travelling around the world and studying/living in different areas. Most eventually come back and bring their extended knowledge with them.

Post subject: Re: Why this American loves PEI !!!
PostPosted: March 15th, 2005, 10:41 pm 
Almost an Islander

Location: Currently trapped deep within the recesses of my mind
Welcome to the Island, S_Phoenix (a beautiful bird that phoenix). Have you received your complimentary lobster, potato, and Anne of Green Gables license plate yet?

SAPPHIRE_PHOENIX wrote:
I have many friends here, sadly a few of them have had to leave the island in search of better jobs. A guy I was seeing had to relocate to Alberta just so he could make money to start building a house back here on PEI. The job market isn't kind to many people here. Many of the younger population do want to get off the island as soon as they get out of highshool, but I think that as they get older, they will realize they had a good thing going while here. Every place has it's ups and downs.

That's all part of the Island tradition. I myself trekked across Canada after completing high school here and spent a few years in Calgary ALB before waking up and finding myself back here one morning. I "lovingly" refer to the Island as the Harlem of the maritimes. You get stuck here, you get nowhere and can't afford to leave, but it's always home.

Almost every islander grows up here dreaming of living away, then moves away as soon as they can, then whines and complains to their new neighbors how much they miss the island and end up moving back here. I came back pretty early myself three years ago at 23 (that love thing will indeed get you into strange binds) but remain a perpetual dreamer, dreaming of living back out west where everyone's a maritime emmigrant pretending to be a cowboy.

Bear witness for I shall shake the very heavens and topple gods with my rapacity
as I devour the future!
"

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2005, 11:02 pm 

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone.

StevenBee,
How did you like Calgary AB? That seems to be where you hear most islanders going off to. That's exactly where my ex went off to to work. lol Good break for him, a bad one for me I guess. lol...He wanted me to go but I couldn't so I guess it's partly my fault too.

Anyway, it's good to talk with Islanders of the same area. Maybe we could all get together and hang out sometime. There's not too much to do other than Myron's etc. I'm 26 , I feel like I am getting too old for that scene. I don't even like going with friends anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2005, 11:07 pm 

Maverick,

I totally agree with you. It's sad to say but many times someone will walk up to me and ask me something relating to current events in my own country and I will have no clue as to what they are talking about it. I go to class and work so I have rarely any free time, atleast none to turn on a TV these days. Sad huh?

Islanders seem VERY intuned to worldly events I've noticed. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2005, 11:13 pm 

Location: hmmm handle says from Souris, but in Ch-town........sounds like a toughie
myron's?? myron's !!!!
ick!!
ack!!!!

Its been awhile since i went to that kiddie ranch

Usually we hit breakers or velvet as its called now

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2005, 11:23 pm 

Location: hmmm handle says from Souris, but in Ch-town........sounds like a toughie
$2 dollar drink wednesdays
~LOL~ they'll be the death of me and jmweb

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2005, 11:25 pm 

I've heard some people say bad things about Breakers...but is it a pretty good place? I've never been in there actually. The only bars I've been to have been Barry's, Myron's, Jr's and Old Dublin. Oh, and I have been to the Wave and St. James Gate too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2005, 11:27 pm 

Is this on beer? I am a bit of a Southern Comfort or Jack Daniels girl. ;)