* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Bacon & Clam Chowder at Casa Mia Cafe for $4.95 [Remind Me]

Lunch The Great Canadian Hand Carved Sandwich at Chartwells UPEI for $5.99 [Remind Me]

Lunch Chicken wings & Chips at Casa Mia Cafe for $9.95 [Remind Me]

Supper WING NIGHT!!! at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $0.35 [Remind Me]

Supper Endless Baby Back Ribs at Hunter's Ale House for $22.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Beef Pot Pie or Veggie Pot Pie at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.10 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Moving to PEI?
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 1:27 pm 

I am new on this forum and thought this would be a good place to start.
My family; my wife, my son (6) and myself, are currently living in the Vancouver Area, in B.C.
We have been here for over 10 years and are planning to move next summer.
There are a few reasons for that; for one it is getting really crowded and very expensive here, we would like to have a more laid back lifestyle, more time for family and less stress.
PEI is our frontrunner in the maritimes, the only other option we are considering is the interior of B.C.
We own our home here and would be able to buy a home in PEI. I have my own business, which I can run from almost anywhere, as long as I have a phone and internet access.

I have done a lot of research online with regards to life in PEI but thought it's best to ask the people that are living there.
Of course as with any parent, my son is one of my biggest priorities.
How are schools in PEI?
I read that PEI has one of the highest small crime problems in the country and a high number of drug related problems.
However reading the statistics I always do so with a grain of salt.
Our plan would be to most likely buy a house in the Charlottetown area or Anne's Land.
However, I am quite flexible at this point.

How safe is PEI, especially when living a little outside the city or in the city.
I also read that there could be a serious flooding problem, especially in Charlottetown, since it is a very low lying area.
I live in a place that is at sea level righ now, surrounded and protected by a dyke, however we don't get the kind of storms PEI gets.

Talking about storms, how bad do the winterstorms get?
Both my wife and I are used to heavy snow falls and cold weather and that is not a problem for us.

Are there a lot of activities for children especially in the wintertime when it is getting quite cold?

These are just a few concerns and questions and some of them might sound really ignorant - my appologies for that.
This would be a really big move for us and we are planning to do a vacation trip out before we decide but if any of you have any advice, information or want to advertise :D why or why we shouldn't move to PEI, I would really appreciate that.
One more piece of information to finish this thread starter is that we are a multicultural family, which may or may not make any difference.
I was born in Europe, however am now a Canadian and my wife is Japanese and our son was born here.
Thank in advance for any respond, insides or informations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 1:39 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Welcome!

Here are just a few links to some discussions on moving to PEI. I am sure that others will answer your particular questions.

http://www.peiinfo.com/forums/viewtopic ... ght=moving

Good luck! :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 1:42 pm 

Thank you Armetis.
I put in a search before I posted and somehow didn't come up with the links you gave, really appreciate it - thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 1:44 pm 
Almost an Islander

As for the crime it is not that bad here. For the schools if you live just outside of the city they are good and safe. The outer areas are safe I live in the country and have had no problems in the years I have been living here. Last winter was a heavy snow and cold who knows what this winter will bring. We also have alot of mutliculurtal faimlies living here as well. As for the flooding that is more so just on some city streets which is not that bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 1:54 pm 
True Islander

Not to sound negative, but if i were of a minority, i'd probably not want to live here. It's getting better but it still is not a place that i'd wanna be...

I have never had the convo with anyone else about it, but when you mentioned that it made me look at it from someone elses perception.

Just something to think about .......others may have more insight tho..

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 1:59 pm 

Hello

I moved here myself from Surrey 4 years ago. We settled in Summerside, then bought an acerage a few KMs out of town two years ago. The change between BC and here is like night and day. It's peaceful and laid back here. The crime is, just as they say, petty. Nothing like the Lower Mainland. I can only describe the schools in and around Summerside, but they are great.

Things go at a much slower pace here. It's not rush, rush at all. You can let your kids go outside to play without worrying. There are a good deal of extra curricular activities like swimming, bowling, most anything you can find out there, you can find here.

I hope this helps a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 2:06 pm 
Almost an Islander

Welcome, I am sure you will love PEI. When you say that you and your wife are used to hard winters, it must be an experience somewhere else in Canada, because for sure B.C.,(other than the mountains) definitely don't have the winters that we have. When you read about crime rate here , it is more publicitized because we do not have gangs, gang shootings, or other things that are related. Yes, if have had a few home invasions, elderly people who don't lock their doors, nobody has been killed in these invasions. The only deaths todate, as far as I can remember, are domestic . There are lots of organized sports for both you and your wife and child. If you own your own home, you could probably get a pretty nice home within a 10km radius from Charlottetown, country (neighbours, but at a distance) but 5 minutes from the city. The kids are alot more open than the parents in most cases. Hope to meet you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 2:28 pm 

Stanhopegal wrote:
Welcome, I am sure you will love PEI. When you say that you and your wife are used to hard winters, it must be an experience somewhere else in Canada, because for sure B.C.,(other than the mountains) definitely don't have the winters that we have. When you read about crime rate here , it is more publicitized because we do not have gangs, gang shootings, or other things that are related. Yes, if have had a few home invasions, elderly people who don't lock their doors, nobody has been killed in these invasions. The only deaths todate, as far as I can remember, are domestic . There are lots of organized sports for both you and your wife and child. If you own your own home, you could probably get a pretty nice home within a 10km radius from Charlottetown, country (neighbours, but at a distance) but 5 minutes from the city. The kids are alot more open than the parents in most cases. Hope to meet you?

I'll start with responding to you as everyone has given good insides and things to think about.
The reason I mentioned that we are used to winters is that my wife is from the northern part of Japan which is cold and has harsh winters and I was born in Slovenia, a small alpine country with lots of snow.
However I grew up in Germany.
I did live for over a year in Alaska, including the whole winter, which I really enjoyed - I love snow.
With regards to crime - what you wrote is just what I thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 2:40 pm 

I have read through all of the threads Armetis listed.
There is so much information - wow.

There was one post that was a little scary. Someone who was born there moved back and had a really difficult time with the neighbours.
It was all about how they really were not accepted by them etc.
Of course I don't know the whole story and it's just one testimony with the others being mostly very positive.

Ideally we would like to buy a home in a more rural area, with a little bit of land, however I would be also just as happy to live in Charlottetown or Summerland, preferably in an "old' house, even if it needs a little bit of work but has character.

Another option I would be interested in would be to build our own "green" home but I don't know how costly it would be with regards to building materials etc.

Thanks again everyone for your great feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 2:42 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Everyone will have different experiences. I always feel that it's your attitude that makes or breaks things.

I've lived in New Brunswick and Ontario.....but would only want to call PEI home. I love it here.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 2:47 pm 

Sid wrote:
Hello

I moved here myself from Surrey 4 years ago. We settled in Summerside, then bought an acerage a few KMs out of town two years ago. The change between BC and here is like night and day. It's peaceful and laid back here. The crime is, just as they say, petty. Nothing like the Lower Mainland. I can only describe the schools in and around Summerside, but they are great.

Things go at a much slower pace here. It's not rush, rush at all. You can let your kids go outside to play without worrying. There are a good deal of extra curricular activities like swimming, bowling, most anything you can find out there, you can find here.

I hope this helps a bit.

I live in Richmond which you are probably quite familiar with.
We reallly like it here as we live in a part called Steveston Village but it's growing so dramatically that we feel it's time to move on.

I would also like for my son to grow up in a place where it's not all malls, video games and TV.
As you might have read in a previous post of mine, I would also like to buy a place with some land.
How did you find living away from the city especially during winter, did you ever feel stuck not being able to go out or did your kids get bored because of ongoing bad weather?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 2:55 pm 

Armetis wrote:
Everyone will have different experiences. I always feel that it's your attitude that makes or breaks things.

I've lived in New Brunswick and Ontario.....but would only want to call PEI home. I love it here.

Thanks Armetis. I wholeheartedly agree. Attitude is everything.
I have lived and travelled all around the world and that is one thing I have learnt a long time ago.
We have no illusion that if we move to PEI that it will be all wonderful and perfect.
Different people like different lifestyles. Having lived a kind of "rat race" life style for quite a long time our priorities in life have changed.
I spend quite a bit of time in Nova Scotia a few years back and have experienced the friendliness of the Maritimes.
That's how we started looking at PEI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 3:03 pm 
True Islander

I've lived in a number of parts of Canada, including BC.

Crime here tends to be property crime and generally minor. We have lower rates of violent crime then most parts of Canada.

Yes. Drugs are considered a problem here but probably far less then most parts of Canada. We have a couple of hundred crack and cocaine addicts on the island, and they are the main reason for the property crime problems.

If you look at PEI and compare with cities across Canada, you'll find that our per capita hard drug addicts is lower then almost any urban area. There is almost no organized crime other then in the drug market. Our schools are relatively safe. Our cost of living is comparatively low.

It's a pretty damn good place to live.

That being said, I wouldn't buy a house on the shore. PEI is going to be hit by Climate change more then most. As for flooding, that hasn't been a major issue, but will be more significant in 20 years. Even then, it will only be in select low lying areas.

Winters here are actually pretty tame. There are many maritime areas that have far more severe winter weather then PEI.

There are some that will tell you PFA's (People from away) are not welcomed here, but they are in the minority. I grew up here and in honesty, I'd never met an Asian or Black until I was a teen and travelled off Island. Today, we are multicultural and have have a fair representation of all cultures, races and religions and the majority are like myself. Skin colour or religion don't matter at all to me. I judge people by what is inside and not by their race or religion. You may find some of the older population that hasn't caught up with the world, but that is a minor problem.

If you are living in BC now, coming here will award you with a standard of living that you can't experience there.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 3:09 pm 
Almost an Islander

You would have a hard time finding Rat Race on PEI. We think there is a traffic problem when we have to wait for 2 lights. Summer is the busiest time on the roads here, but after Labour Day, things totally die down. I don't know of any other Capital City in this country, that you can be 20 km outside the city, live in the Country, have a few acres of land, and be into work in the morning, with , tops, a 20 minute drive. We may lack alot of what you are used to, like opera, good concerts, gangs, gang land shootings, you know that kind of stuff. It's not like there are not drugs here because they are,but because we are such a close community you will definitely know if your children get on them. PEI is my home, and as you have probably already figured out, I LOVE PEI, there are alot of other provinces in this great country of CANADA that probably offer the same kind of living, but all I know is PEI. I hope you move here and decide in 5 or 10 years that it was the best thing you did....

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 3:22 pm 

Move to Charlottetown.

I live there and have grown up there and it's a perfectly safe, yet accessible place to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 4:03 pm 
True Islander

high small crime rate probly cause it is only small crime that happens for the better part.. you will not read about a gang from souris doing a driveby in montague over gang turf.. the only gangs are like the chess club lol i have moved off pei but when i lived in my house there i never locked the door even if i went away for a weekend or more. left keys in the car in the driveway even over night. if your on the side the road someone will stop to help not rob you. you don't need AAA or CAA cause if you break down or get stuck in the snow people will stop to help you out and get you going again. maybe a bit less then in the past but it still happens. pei is a great spot to live and raise a family now only if there was more work that would keep islanders from having to leave and have more people come to enjoy the island.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 6:09 pm 
True Islander

I have lived in Calgary twice, in london ontario for 10 yrs, moved back here when i finished highschool . Couldnt get here fast enough , planned it for the 10yrs i was in London, lol, went there when i was 9 and came back when i was 18. Anytime i go off island, whether it be London, out west, or Moncton, i always think to myself ...why would anyone want to live here (no matter where ive been) when they could be living in PEI?? It is like there is a "feeling" about PEI that i have never felt anywhere else ive been. Even tho there is probably less to do here, especialy in the country, i still want to live here....i love islanders, born or grafted, lol. Where else can you meet strangers on the street and they smile or say hello, open the doors for you , offer to help if they can, store clerks etc are usually so nice, friends are wonderful....like today...i come home from work and a beautiful card is stitting on my table from a friend who got married on Sat , and already she was thanking me for being their friend and makeing up vases of flowers from our gardens and helping at the reception. and i didnt even do much....i couldnt move away unless i took everyone on pei with me...lol, strange thing is i hate the winters here, summer is too short and sometimes too rainey,,haha , not enough jobs, etc ...but ....why wouldnt you want to live here????????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 7:25 pm 
True Islander

Suzy Q wrote:
I have lived in Calgary twice, in london ontario for 10 yrs, moved back here when i finished highschool . Couldnt get here fast enough , planned it for the 10yrs i was in London, lol, went there when i was 9 and came back when i was 18. Anytime i go off island, whether it be London, out west, or Moncton, i always think to myself ...why would anyone want to live here (no matter where ive been) when they could be living in PEI?? It is like there is a "feeling" about PEI that i have never felt anywhere else ive been. Even tho there is probably less to do here, especialy in the country, i still want to live here....i love islanders, born or grafted, lol. Where else can you meet strangers on the street and they smile or say hello, open the doors for you , offer to help if they can, store clerks etc are usually so nice, friends are wonderful....like today...i come home from work and a beautiful card is stitting on my table from a friend who got married on Sat , and already she was thanking me for being their friend and makeing up vases of flowers from our gardens and helping at the reception. and i didnt even do much....i couldnt move away unless i took everyone on pei with me...lol, strange thing is i hate the winters here, summer is too short and sometimes too rainey,,haha , not enough jobs, etc ...but ....why wouldnt you want to live here????????????

Change.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 7:41 pm 
True Islander

Quote:
I was born in Europe, however am now a Canadian and my wife is Japanese and our son was born here.

My wife (now X) is from Tokyo. Off hand I can think of about 30 Japanese people who live here year round and are married to Canadians. Which means there is likely closer to 100 or more as we do not know everyone of them. I can not think of any from Hokkaido - most are from Tokyo and other large cities. Makes no diff - speaking japanese is speaking japanese.

I am a native born Islander.

My three children were all born on PEI and hold both passports. My oldest - 17 - is currently living in Japan and attending school for a year. She had to do this as we did not get her registered when she was born in time with the Japanese Embassy in Canada for her to claim her passport. She has to spend 6 months over there to qualify - and she decided to redo her Gr 11 for a year for the experience and to expand her japanese skills. She speaks, reads and writes english and french fluently - and speaks japanese fluently, her reading and writing will be enhanced by attending the school in Tokyo for a year. The other two (15, 12) are both fluent in english and french and speak japanese with ease.

Other then the occasional a**hole kid who calls them chinks - my kids have never experienced a problem with discrimination or hate. In fact my 12 yo's gr 6 class last year had children in it from at least 10 other countries. Her teacheer - a native Islander is muslim.

Many of the Japanese here - tend to be - well Japanese. I think you will know what I mean. They don't associate a lot together - but there are times of year when they do try to gather for various events. New Years of course being the biggest.

Because of Anne - PEI is a hot spot for Japanese travellers - and there is a good demand for Japanese speakers here in the summer. This summer was very busy - and a few years ago my wife and I had a cash cow going making maps and guide books in japanese for the tourists. Many of the ideas we came up with to lure them from the land of Anne are still in practice today and very popular.

PEI - especially Charlottetown is quite multi-cultural. There are many here from Slovenia, Yugoslavia, Serbia, Bosnia, Germany, Holland, Lebanon, Syria, many areas of Africa, China and just about any other country you would care to name. I am quite sure you would have no problem finding many fellow country people who you can converse with in any of the languages you speak.

I have friends from Slovenia, Yugoslavia, Serbia and Bosnia - many who were refugees - and I know of no problems between them left over from the war. They often meet for special holidays and other events - and the food is simply incredible.

As for crime - the last time a cop shot someone on PEI was about 10 years ago - wounded him in the leg. Our drug problem is much less then you would ever see on the Lower Mainland or anywhere in Van or PoCo - or even on the Van Island.

C'mon down - let me know when you get here and we will throw together some sushi made from the best cold smoked salmon in Canada - and perhaps some yakatori and udon for the wife - and I'll get some of my buddies to put together some dishes for you. None of which I can name.

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Last edited by philipw on September 3rd, 2008, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 7:45 pm 
True Islander

i could see moving somewhere else on the island but i did enought moving in the past, i dont want to live anywhere else . I would like to go places for vacations but not to live.