* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Help moving to Summerside
PostPosted: July 14th, 2008, 6:13 pm 
Tourist

Hi all well it looks like my wife Elaine has got her transfer from Can Post to Summerside........we should be comming out in Aug and we are not sure what to do about accomadation....kind of scary as we dont know anything about PEI except they have all ypou great people.....we have a chance to rent a 2 BED apt on 320 Jennifer ST for 596 but we woukld have to do it over the phone...does any one know if these are decent places or not...we are affriad that if we just drive out there without a place rented we will be sleeping in the car,,,we need somewhere close to the Granville St Mall as in Sept the post office is moving there(we have only 1 car so Elaine needs to try to walk to work so I can find a job with the car)......do you think we should take our chances when we get there or rent this place....I know this may seem a little crazy but we have a sense of adventure......then there is a little thing like I need to find a job.........
Thanks again fir all your help

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2008, 7:15 pm 

Canada Post has been in the Granville St Mall for several months now. The apartments on Jennifer are new, and within walking distance of Canada Post. $596...now that's a laugh, just a couple dollars less than $600, but makes the consumer feel like it's in the 500 range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2008, 7:47 pm 
True Islander

perhaps ask the landlord to take a few pics and email them to you... would seem to be a reasonable request, given the fact he wants 600/month from you..... no reason why he couldnt..... everyone and there dog owns a digital camera these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2008, 8:42 pm 
Tourist

Thanks guys good suggestions
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2008, 8:47 pm 
True Islander

good luck, keep us posted!

Post subject: good luck!
PostPosted: July 14th, 2008, 8:57 pm 
From Away

good luck with your move...the apts on jennifer st are new. a friend of mine use to live there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2008, 9:03 pm 
Tourist

Wow after re-reading my first post I think I should slow down on the typing...lots of mistakes...oh well I will blame it on the excietment eh
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2008, 9:07 pm 

My son lives in the Jennifer St apartments, if it is the same type they are very nice. Spacious and fairly new. They have a large eat-in kitchen, good size living room with a patio door. The main bedroom is large enough for a queen size bed and at least three dressers. The spare room is not a bad size either. You could definitely fit a double and a small dresser.

Nice wide halls, three floors (no elevator) but clean and looks well kept. Oh yeah they have a stacked washer/dryer in the apartment, at the end of the hall. Lots of cupboards in the kitchen (L shaped layout).

It's a fair walk to the post office from there, but probably only a 7 minute drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2008, 9:20 pm 

There are several apt buildings on Jennifer, however not all are well managed.

PM me the landlord info and I can fill you in.

If the plan is to walk to work from Jennifer St to the PO then good luck. Great on nice days, but you are at the crest of the hill and in full line of the wind and snow tunnel......besides that.......it is not a easy straight line walk.

Never hold your farts in. They travel to your brain and that's where shitty ideas come from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2008, 10:00 pm 

1: Start out going EAST on MAPLE AVE toward BROPHY ST.
0.4 mi
* Map
2: Turn LEFT onto CENTRAL ST/PROVINCIAL SECONDARY ROUTE 121.
0.5 mi
* Map * Avoid
3: Turn RIGHT onto POPE RD.
0.2 mi
* Map
* Avoid
4: End at 454 Granville Street Summerside, PE C1N
* Map
Estimated Time: 3 minutes Estimated Distance: 1.17 miles

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/5-TuHU

Check out the map it will show you where she will have to walk from and to ...As for Jennifer st ...just depends on what apartment it is you will be renting from .

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2008, 11:25 pm 
True Islander

Quote:
Avoid
3: Turn RIGHT onto POPE RD.
0.2 mi
* Map
* Avoid
4: End at 454 Granville Street Summerside, PE C1N
* Map

There is really no reason to avoid those streets some months of the year.

Quote:
Estimated Time: 3 minutes Estimated Distance: 1.17 miles

I can walk a mile in about 12 to 15 mins. A lot depends on the temp.

Unless you know the shortcuts - you are not going to be covering 1.2 miles in 3 minutes.

As for your job - what are your skills again?

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15th, 2008, 5:41 am 
Tourist

Hey guys all I know is the buildings are owned or run by a company called Trans Globe and they are at 320 Jennifer st 3 white buildings....1.17 miles does not seem to far away do you think we can find something closer than that...on bad days i guess she could take a cab or mabey hook up with another worker ( for a ride to work that is ha ha ).....I have a DZ LIC and have been driving Truck for 25 yrs....I can weld .....Forklift Cert..or whatever else not to picky at this point

thanks
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15th, 2008, 6:52 am 
Almost an Islander

shoudn't have too much trouble getting work driving or welding these fields are short like many other fields of work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15th, 2008, 7:06 am 
Almost an Islander

I used to live in those buildings - they are fairly new, very spacious, clean, comfortable and nice. They were quiet when I lived there too.

As for the walk to work - if you don't mind walking - it's not that bad. There's plenty of simple shortcuts from there to the mall that haven't been mentioned yet. I used to walk it every day - it's about 10 - 15 minutes maximum.

As far as apartment buildings close to the mall - since it takes a long time to get into Hillcrest Housing (apartment complexes nearby) - I'd say the Jennifer street buildings will be your best bet as far as a clean, newer apartment nearby goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15th, 2008, 4:24 pm 
True Islander

drivers wrote:
shoudn't have too much trouble getting work driving or welding these fields are short like many other fields of work.

Short haul truckers are not in short supply on PEI. There are all kinds of them. Long haul truckers are in big demand though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15th, 2008, 7:24 pm 

What about the big apartment building up by the hospital. It would be a lot nearer to the Post Office from there to walk.

There's a sign there but I forget now what it's called. I'll look tomorrow. I don't know what they charge but they'd be heated I'm sure.

Post subject: It s Official
PostPosted: July 15th, 2008, 7:48 pm 
Tourist

Well Elaine accepted a Letter Carrier Transfer today for Summerside starting the first week of Sept so we will making our way out there with our car and whatever we can fit in it.......we are looking at the Jennifer St apts seriously as we are worried we will not find anything if we wait till we get there...it just sucks that we would have to pay for Aug just to hold it when we plan on arriving on the 27 of Aug....Maura if you get a chance to see if there are any vacancies at that place and a phone # that would be great....also if any one has any ideas for used furniture stores or papers we can look in that would be great.........wow we are so excited to be coming to your Island you all seem to to be so nice hopefully we are able to meet.......all other comments ideas or suggestions are welcome

Thanks
Steve and Elaine

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15th, 2008, 8:01 pm 
True Islander

I don't think accommodations will present a big problem for 01 Sept in Summerside. It is not a Uni town - and many of the college students live on campus or close to the campus.

I'd suggest saving the Aug rent and using it for a B&B when you arrive. That will give you a few days to look around.

Check out -

usedpei.com - rentals and furniture

kijiji.ca - go to the Charlottetown section (no S-side section) - often rentals are posted there for S-side. Lots of furniture.

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15th, 2008, 8:33 pm 

There is a furniture rental place in Summerside next to Sears. It's quite handy to the Post Office. I think they sell some of the stuff that they've rented too.

I'll take a drive tomorrow and get the name of the apartment building.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16th, 2008, 5:33 am 

Maura wrote:
There is a furniture rental place in Summerside next to Sears. It's quite handy to the Post Office. I think they sell some of the stuff that they've rented too.

Ack! Don't send them to EasyHome! That's like sending them to MoneyMart for a loan! :P

That place is a total rip off - they charge an arm and a leg for their stuff and prey on easy targets (ie people with no credit, bad credit, low income, etc) with their whole "we approve everyone" thing. They make it sound like such a great deal - it's a horrible deal. You pay several times more for the item than you would if you bought it --- if not even more!

Stay away. Stay far far away. :evil: