Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Fajita Friday at Chartwells UPEI for $5.29 [Remind Me]

Lunch Roast Turkey Buffet at Rodd Charlottetown for $13.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: ADVICE PLEASE re moving to PEI
PostPosted: January 28th, 2008, 2:29 pm 
Newly Created Account

For a couple of years, my husband and I were addicted to MLS.ca re. homes in PEI. We couldn't believe the affordability and when we did internet research on the island, thought of it as "fairy-tale" beautiful.
We visited PEI for a week in November - went at that time of year so that we wouldn't have rose-coloured glasses on about the reality of life there, as we probably would if we had gone in summer.
We are planning another trip in March to purchase a house, to move there this summer. I have lived my whole life in Vancouver, and my husband grew up in rural Ontario until a teenager, then came to Vancouver.
We want to be somewhere where the pace is slower, and where we can live the rest of our lives, active in the community, and happy!
My questions are: any good suggestions re. moving that distance most affordably and with hopefully no horrible problems? example: what worked for you? Also, if we do our best to make PEI our forever home, will it work, or are we being idealistic? THANKS :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2008, 2:32 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Hi Jennifers. Welcome to the board. :D

Do you have a job secured here.....or are you planning to retire here?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2008, 2:35 pm 
Newly Created Account

My husband would try to secure a job before we move, and if he doesn't get one, TRY HARDER once we're there, and i'm semi-retired but would like to work a couple of days a week, or volunteer a couple of days week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2008, 2:41 pm 

Kensington is a nice area, 15 mins. from Summerside, 30 minutes to Charlottetown

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2008, 2:42 pm 
Newly Created Account

we thought Kensington was really nice

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2008, 3:51 pm 
Almost an Islander

I found it nearly impossible to even get a reply back from any of the jobs I applied to while I was still living in Toronto. But once I landed on the island I had an interview in 5 days and was working within 3 weeks. However, every industry is different.
To answet the question about moving here affordably, I fit as much stuff as I could in my car and left the rest. Cost: $200 gas, $5000 furniture lost. You can get quotes on the Uhaul website or if you want to hire a mover, you may be able to get some decent rates by finding a company that will put your stuff in with the rest of a truck's load. It may take longer to get your stuff here since your stuff will essentially be going standby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2008, 4:21 pm 
Almost an Islander

Scroll down and read my post Time to go...2008.

Just another perspective....

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2008, 5:03 pm 
True Islander

I think there should be a form for people who are thinking of moving to the Island. It would be a lot more useful than Island links, jokes, PEI cookbook, swap 'n' shop, book club and school daze.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2008, 5:06 pm 
True Islander

craiger wrote:
I think there should be a form for people who are thinking of moving to the Island. It would be a lot more useful than Island links, jokes, PEI cookbook, swap 'n' shop, book club and school daze.

It would also save typing the same things over and over, every time someone expresses an interest in moving here. Not only that, some would discover info, they didn't think to ask.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2008, 6:26 pm 

Hello Jennifer,

Your story sounds almost identical to my wife and I! Looks like there will be a number of peeps house hunting this spring on the island. Good luck with the search and the move.

Quote:
I think there should be a form for people who are thinking of moving to the Island.

This seems like a good idea. I wonder what the percentage of members are PEI residence and those who are not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2008, 6:44 pm 

Hi Jennifer. I did exactly what you're doing, 4 years ago. We moved from Surrey in December, 2003. We sold off everything on that end, came only with my husband and I, our two daughters and cat. We shipped ten boxes later. The pace is second to none. People are curteous and not in a rush. The first few weeks, the busy Christmas weeks, we couldn't figure out where the crowds went to, they sure weren't shopping.
We settled in Summerside, but recently moved about 25 minutes out to an acerage near Wellington. What we paid less than $100,000 for, would have cost us easily $1.5-$2 million in Surrey.
The only downside is that a lot of things here are backwards, about 30 years. Otherwise, it's great.

If you're going to ship things, make sure it's worth it. If you can get furniture here for less than shipping, sell it off. Same goes for most anything. We saved what was important, bought everything else when we got here. We waited for the job until we were here and found, it's not as easy as we thought. I'd try to secure the job beforehand.

Good luck and happy house hunting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2008, 8:19 pm 
Newly Created Account

thank you so much for your response, it's helped