* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Bacon & Clam Chowder at Casa Mia Cafe for $4.95 [Remind Me]

Lunch The Great Canadian Hand Carved Sandwich at Chartwells UPEI for $5.99 [Remind Me]

Lunch Chicken wings & Chips at Casa Mia Cafe for $9.95 [Remind Me]

Supper WING NIGHT!!! at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $0.35 [Remind Me]

Supper Endless Baby Back Ribs at Hunter's Ale House for $22.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Beef Pot Pie or Veggie Pot Pie at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.10 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Finding a J-O-B on P-E-I.
PostPosted: June 14th, 2007, 1:48 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

There is a serious amount of people leaving this Island to head out west in search of jobs. I know of so many people I can't even count them.

Today I heard about another guy who is leaving today for a truck driving job that pays $30 an hour plus all the overtime he wants. Yes, he will have to pay a lot for accommodations, but at least it's a JOB. And one where he won't be laid off every year. As long as he's willing to stay there, he will be employed. His kids are guaranteed food in their bellies without a two week waiting period.

If things don't change soon, I too will be an Alberta widow, along with several of my friends. It's crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2007, 1:57 pm 
True Islander

2 of my uncles recently went out west, and my half brother just got back from out west. One to work in Alberta doing road work, and one went to Whitehorse to do carpentry work. The first is gone with his wife and young teenage son still here. And the second is in his late 50's or early 60's and went out to get work. It's crazy how many are going out there, but there is a lot of money to be made out there, so for a lot of people, it's worth it.

And a lot of people think if they work out west, they can't draw EI on PEI. That's not true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2007, 1:58 pm 
True Islander

I've known people who have gone there and most have come back because the cost of living is just too high; rent is insane, grocery store shelves are picked clean, buying a house is almost impossible. That may not be the case everywhere in Alberta but in the boom town areas it can get quite bad.

I think the best people suited to go are single people who don't mind living anywhere they can and want to work like a dog but be well paid. Lots of opportunities but the economic reality seems to be supply and demand is alive and well!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2007, 5:12 pm 

For people with sense enough to bank what they make -- it's a friggin' goldmine out west right now. It's never, ever been like this in my lifetime, and I'd argue that there's probably never been a time in Canadian history where an average person -- if they're willing to sacrifice for five years or so -- can make themselves a huge nest egg.

It's obviously tougher if you've got kids, obligations, etc. But employers -- not just in Alberta -- are desperate for people who'll just show up every day. And if you've got the discipline to put in some time and build your skills -- man, the sky's the limit. There are lots more opportunities for women these days too.

I'm reminded of guys who kept thinking about going west in '79, '80, and kept putting it off. Before they knew it, the bottom fell out of the Alberta economy in the 1980s, and there was no point in going. Then things boomed in southern Ontario for a few years ... until that regional economy went down the crapper in the early '90s. I was reading where there were about 850,000 unemployed in Ontario alone in 1993.

The grass is always greener as they say ... but you can bet on it turning brown on a regular basis. Grab that dough, youngsters! It won't be around forever. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2007, 6:46 pm 
True Islander

If our house sells, we are packing up and moving to edmonton. Husband has a job waiting there driving a tractor trailer, after a month ( he put two in already ) wages go to $300 per day.

Apartments are app $800- $1200 a month, so even with the high price of that its still better than island living. Keep in mind our kids are all out of the house, no grandkids, and again if things go well, no house here. What would be tying us ?
We can most of our food at cost, from the company he will be working for, so as for groceries that will help.
I don't expect things to be cozy at first, but i know i am tired of not having the money here to buy a tube of lipstick or even put out the $20 to buy a chicken.....
If the boom lasts for 5 yrs or twenty, now is the time to go, and really what a relief it would be to come back home, build a house, have some cash put away for retirement, and not worry about living on cat food when im 80. :)
I mean , yes, i like the smell of it and all, and some of it cleans out my teeth, but i'd like to at least have a choice.

All of our kids have mentioned going out there too, so if they do , who knows, maybe we will settle in........?
I'd feel safer if they came out and at least had us to be there for them if they do.
Then............
and only Then.........
will i buy a chicken :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 15th, 2007, 6:16 am 
Almost an Islander

We resettled to the Island several years ago after twenty plus years away....left to find work and always employed while gone...both of us well educated professional people.

Since returning, I have moved from contract to contract (latest one ends on Monday) and found myself on EI for the first time in my life...good to see nothing has changed around here since 1980.

Currently, I am pondering a job offer, which came out of the blue, in North Carolina starting in September...we prefer to stay and will give it ago over the summer job hunting. However, we realize the move seems destined to happen. Two things are certain should we go: the health care system will lose another highly experienced and caring professional and we will never be back...even for a visit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 15th, 2007, 8:03 am 

Flyonthewall wrote:
We resettled to the Island several years ago after twenty plus years away....left to find work and always employed while gone...both of us well educated professional people.

Since returning, I have moved from contract to contract (latest one ends on Monday) and found myself on EI for the first time in my life...good to see nothing has changed around here since 1980.

Currently, I am pondering a job offer, which came out of the blue, in North Carolina starting in September...we prefer to stay and will give it ago over the summer job hunting. However, we realize the move seems destined to happen. Two things are certain should we go: the health care system will lose another highly experienced and caring professional and we will never be back...even for a visit.

I understand your situation.......but really PEI being such a small province we cannot be everything to everyone, and cannot provide just the right job to all of it's citizens.

But your comment that once you leave you will never be back......are you basing that on that since PEI did not step up to the plate with the job you wanted that you are peev'd and taking off never to return.......not even for a visit? Does that mean that your ultimate job opportunity includes no vacation time?

Never hold your farts in. They travel to your brain and that's where shitty ideas come from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 15th, 2007, 8:19 am 
True Islander

Flyonthewall wrote:

ya sound kinda bitter..........

see i love everyone here cause im just extremely cool, but life just happens sometimes.......well most times really......... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 15th, 2007, 9:28 am 
Almost an Islander

Not bitter....disappointed. And as for future employment not including vacation time, the answer is no...we will just spend it elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2007, 10:08 am 

I sympathize with flyonthewall...the current situation for many in healthcare is: take a temp and hope something "comes up"...so you live contract to contract and feel your sphincter clinch up as the end date approaches....your co-workers console you, saying "something will come along," but no one in authority puts it in writing and makes you perm...so you wait, and wait, and wait... *ominous voice off :D * (I always loved that line)....

It's a bit of a soup sandwich on PEI...I love the summer, as in you could not tear me from this place when the sun is out and the water is rippling...but I dread the isolation and "dead, empty" feeling of winter here....I've skied, walked, tubed, done whatever came to mind to make the best of winter here, but I am just not a winter person I guess...I prefer my winter as an option, where I can visit "it" on my terms, not the other way around...

North Carolina is a nice place, I found many opportunities there myself, but the idea of a hurricane scares the bejesus outta me....you could find the positive and negatives about many places....PEI is the same, it has it's pros and cons for sure....you live with them, or go elsewhere....I've felt "bitter" about having to leave, but I remind myself that I am making a "personal values" choice...I value combined qualities of other places more than those of the Island....it's not a right or wrong decision, PEI is "for" some, and not "for" others...the sense of inevitability is strong, it feels like it's going to happen, just exactly where and when is the only unknown left....

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2007, 11:09 am 
True Islander

General observation... this thread appears to be about jobs elsewhere, not finding a job on PEI, which the thread title suggests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 19th, 2007, 8:38 am 
Newly Created Account

I can certainly empathize with a lot of what is being said in these posts regarding employment on PEI particularly in the health care industry. Although I had a permanent position, I watched many people who were recruited to PE from other provinces with lucrative job offers only to find that they were at the very bottom of the totem pole when it came to securing anything permanent. Rather difficult to establish a life when you work contract to contract not to mention how it makes experienced people feel. We too made the choice to pull up well planted roots and head off the fair isle in search of a more substantial and consistent living. Its a real drag - we love PEI. I watch compass almost everyday and all through the political debates leading up to the current election I felt very discouraged and frustrated that the same old, same old issues were in the forefront - education and healthcare. Yes, these are important but they won't be that pertinent as the population dwindles because of the lack of opportunity to make a living on the island. It seems to me that the island way is to keep going in political circles and maintain the status quo. The old boys club is still alive and well and quite frankly, we need to embrace "people from away" and assimilate into a more global economy. Even our children have left the island and have no intention of moving back there as they aren't interested in staying on the island treadmill of seasonal employment and EI. Its very sad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 19th, 2007, 8:57 am 

chick wrote:
I can certainly empathize with a lot of what is being said in these posts regarding employment on PEI particularly in the health care industry. Although I had a permanent position, I watched many people who were recruited to PE from other provinces with lucrative job offers only to find that they were at the very bottom of the totem pole when it came to securing anything permanent. Rather difficult to establish a life when you work contract to contract not to mention how it makes experienced people feel. We too made the choice to pull up well planted roots and head off the fair isle in search of a more substantial and consistent living. Its a real drag - we love PEI. I watch compass almost everyday and all through the political debates leading up to the current election I felt very discouraged and frustrated that the same old, same old issues were in the forefront - education and healthcare. Yes, these are important but they won't be that pertinent as the population dwindles because of the lack of opportunity to make a living on the island. It seems to me that the island way is to keep going in political circles and maintain the status quo. The old boys club is still alive and well and quite frankly, we need to embrace "people from away" and assimilate into a more global economy. Even our children have left the island and have no intention of moving back there as they aren't interested in staying on the island treadmill of seasonal employment and EI. Its very sad.

My thoughts EXACTLY !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 19th, 2007, 10:38 am 

Quite some time ago, my nephew lost his job in a highly specialized field because of government cutbacks. He went down to California and got a job in his field of expertise. He has been quite successful, having numerous articles published and has presented papers at seminars around the world. He got all his training in Canada, but I guess he figured Canada owed him a living. I didn’t mind him going to another country to get a job in his field, in fact I was proud of him, but when he turned his back on his country vowing on his web site to never return, well, he is no longer in my last testament and will. Not even a 'hi there'!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 6th, 2007, 11:29 am 
Looking for a job on PEI? CTV.ca wrote how employers are searching your online profile before calling you for an interview.

Quote:
Online profiles may put brakes on job search

Updated Sat. Oct. 6 2007 7:30 AM ET

Caroline Shaheed, Special to CTV.ca

Have you checked what happens when you Google your name? Career experts suggest you take a look at the search results -- your future job may depend on it.

A survey commissioned by The Creative Group, a specialized staffing service for marketing, advertising, creative and web professionals, shows half of advertising and marketing executives search online for information about prospective hires.

Among those, 14 per cent have decided, based on their findings, against hiring a prospective candidate.

Ron Telpner, chairman and CEO of the ad agency The BrainStorm Group, told CTV.ca he always performs online checks for potential hires.

"We check MySpace and Facebook; you can become someone's friend really easily," Telpner said.

"We ask if we can get onto the profile, and I don't know if that's strictly kosher or not, but we do what we need to do to get background."

And if he finds something he doesn't like, such as "those shots of inappropriate dressing, over-drinking, those kinds of things people sometimes celebrate on their sites," the candidate is likely not to get a foot in the door.

It is safe to say, Telpner said, that some candidates have never even been called for a first interview.

At the same time, a personal profile can work in a candidate's favour. Telpner is a fan of Jamaica and Bob Marley, and if a candidate has included something about those subjects, it might strike a chord with him, "because you see some like-mindedness."

Tips for an impressive Internet profile:

Include details about your professional involvement and qualifications
Make the most of social networking sites
But be selective in who you allow into your network
Post your comments on industry forums or write online articles in your area of expertise
Create your own website and link to articles of interest
List information about your skills and past achievements
Include work samples if you are a creative professional
If there is unflattering information about you online that you cannot remove, be prepared to offer an explanation to employers
CTV.ca spoke with a young woman who had a potentially career-limiting experience with the Internet. She was being considered for a new role and some of her colleagues Googled her name. Revealing pictures from her university days popped up, even though the site had been abandoned years earlier. Her supervisor advised her to remove the images before putting her name forward.

"Fortunately, the guy who'd owned the domain was going to school to be a media lawyer. It took quite a few a calls (from him) and some threatening emails, but eventually the ISP removed it," said the young woman.

But that wasn't the end of it. She also had to worry about websites that cache, or save, Internet pages that have been deleted. A friend sent a letter to the waybackmachine (a website that allows users to visit web pages that may no longer be available) explaining the situation, and to her surprise it was taken down.

"The same thing worked for Google's cache, so within a couple weeks, my site went from being the first hit when searching my name, to nowhere to be found."

The question arises, should employers discuss such findings with their prospective hires?

Anita Lerek, president of the Advocate Placement Agency, has considered the implications of online reference checks.

"If you see somebody horsing around in the nude in a photograph, are you allowed to use that information in your hiring decision? And are you supposed to tell the candidate about that?"

She liked the hiring process to the "Wild West."

"Basically, hirers can do whatever they want because they are under no obligations to justify their actions," Lerek said.

Telpner feels it's just another way to get information and ensure the candidate he is investing in has the "right fit."

"If you can show me creativity, if you can capture my interest, if you can connect online, well then you can communicate. And that is something that we might be interested in," Telpner said.

Wow! It will be interesting to see where this goes over the next few years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 6th, 2007, 11:51 am 
I know when my son was interviewed for a couple of places they asked him his interests and they asked if he was on facebook .... they were suprised when he said he wasn't. He came home thinking that he may have answered that question wrong.

We played "Google your name" at work once .... of course .. mne came up with the most interesting sites ... and the best ones were blocked at work! I admit to nothing :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 6th, 2007, 1:20 pm 
While work may block staff from reading a site, management and HR may have access to those blocked sites.

Post subject: they r right
PostPosted: October 6th, 2007, 5:44 pm 
Tourist

because in west they produce but in atlantic they only know how to consume.so thats normal to move to west

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 6th, 2007, 5:51 pm 
True Islander

Just for fun.. I googled my full name... did not find me...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 6th, 2007, 5:53 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Rikimae wrote:
Just for fun.. I googled my full name... did not find me...

I did that a long time ago, lol. A local sports hero has the same name as me so I guess I'm safe!