* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper 25 Cent Wings at Hunter's Ale House for $0.25 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Thinking "should we move to P.E.I"
PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 10:59 am 
Newly Created Account

Hi my wife and I are living north of Toronto and are tired of Ontario. My back ground is in carpentry and contracting. Many years ago i visited PEI and it now pops into my head to want to move there and share in its many attactions. One of them being that i see on mls that one can still buy a fixer upper home for under $30,000.00. So i know PEI is beautiful and I know the people are known to be really friendly and i have been to the official PEI web site but now I would like to meet some people that are living there so i can pick you brain and experiences to help me to decide "do we want To move there and if we do what part of PEI is for us?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 11:11 am 
Almost an Islander

man these people on this site are tired of being asked same question. Here is what you should do....
call every number on the island and askem personally.
Area code is 902 exchanges are 367 368 566 569 892 894 393 314 394 388 for charlotetown and is a good start!
You rock!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 11:13 am 
True Islander

Rather rude welcome. We do need a seperate forum for these tho.

Carpentars are in huge demand here - you should have no problem finding work at all.

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 11:27 am 
True Islander

I agree with Philip...(Ed jokingly spits in imitation of the Corner Gas Wolverton ritual) :) :)

Lets have a section called "Moving to the Island?) Resources for newcomers.

In it we could have discussion about the trades needed, who to contact, info about areas, etc.

Great Idea Philip.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 11:35 am 
True Islander

Sallystirfry wrote:
man these people on this site are tired of being asked same question. Here is what you should do....
Area code is 902 exchanges are 367 368 566 569 892 894 393 314 394 388 for charlotetown and is a good start!
You rock!

Pretty friggin ignorant reply

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 11:43 am 
Sallystirfry wrote:
You rock!

Who are "these people" that you are referring to?
The title of the thread was obvious. If you don't like people asking for information about the Island then don't reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 11:43 am 

I agree, that was rather rude. Why would anyone want to move here if they think we're all like that. Although you'll be getting quite the fixer upper for 30 grand...

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 11:45 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Welcome to the board.

Here are just a few links that I came up with quickly - previous discussions about moving to PEI.

http://www.peiinfo.com/forums/viewtopic ... ght=moving

We're not all so cranky! :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 11:47 am 
True Islander

I would shy away from any building for sale for under $30,000 it is either completely rotten or in the middle of a swamp....

The PEI real estate market may be cheaper compared to the rest of the country, but not THAT much cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 12:05 pm 
True Islander

philipw wrote:
Carpentars are in huge demand here - you should have no problem finding work at all.

Phil

Carpenters may be in demand here, but realize you won't make as much as you would in Ontario. Here's the wages for PEI:
Quote:
Wage Rates by Level of Experience
PEI Wage survey 2006

AVERAGE LOW HIGH COUNT CV
Starting $12.18 $9.40 $15.20 15 C
Starting, With Experience $14.02 $11.75 $17.40 16 B
General Wage $14.40 $10.70 $18.00 16 C

http://www.pei.jobfutures.org/profiles/ ... n&noc=7271

And here's the employment outlook from the same site:
Quote:
In P.E.I., the employment outlook for carpenters is good, especially for certified carpenters.
Employment prospects in this occupation may depend upon the level of construction activity in the province.
Employment is expected to grow at a faster rate than the average for occupations that require similar education and training.
Maintenance, renovation, and repair of existing structures, as well as new construction, will be a continuing source of employment.
If any large capital projects are announced, employment opportunities will generally improve.
Because many experienced and skilled carpenters return to seasonal jobs with the same employers each year, those with entry-level skills may encounter competition for available employment opportunities.
The retirement rate is expected to be about average. Some employment opportunities are expected to result from retirements.
Carpenters interested in establishing their own business may wish to explore investment opportunities in this occupation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 12:23 pm 

Cape Breton is the place to be for super cheap real estate...the house I am in now (its a company house, built for the coal miners, so its like a duplex) is only appraised at 12,000.

but, one major drawback is of course being stuck in Cape Breton :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 12:28 pm 

Sallystirfry wrote:
You rock!

I see someone had their cup of bitchy this morning.... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 12:29 pm 
True Islander

Nadia wrote:
Sallystirfry wrote:
You rock!

I see someone had their cup of bitchy this morning.... :?

A nice big warm glass at that....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 12:30 pm 
True Islander

redhead27 wrote:
Cape Breton is the place to be for super cheap real estate...the house I am in now (its a company house, built for the coal miners, so its like a duplex) is only appraised at 12,000.

but, one major drawback is of course being stuck in Cape Breton :-)

Dang...what bus fare there :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 1:51 pm 

there actually is a small bus system, I have never used it so have no idea!! There is a route from Glace Bay into Sydney that is used by a lot of students going to UCCB and NSCC, but I live way out in the "boonies" so a car is mandatory. It's just really weird to think that my car is worth more than my house!!

Post subject: opps
PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 2:24 pm 
Newly Created Account

well then it seems that the very first person i come across in regards to wanting to know about PEI is iether from Ontario or is studying to fit in here.

You know i have attempted to join a few different communities on line and allways seem to step on feet right away. To tell the truth I really have no idea of proticol. I did look quickly look through the list of forums and did not see any that said for outsiders only.

I do want to learn about the island and about the island life and i have allways felt you can only get to know about a place through its residence.

so thanks to all that came to my defense and i will read on like a good boy and try not to disturb any one else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 2:32 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Aw - don't worry about Sally. Most here aren't like that! Any specific questions you have?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: opps
PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 2:53 pm 
True Islander

iwonder wrote:
well then it seems that the very first person i come across in regards to wanting to know about PEI is iether from Ontario or is studying to fit in here.

You know i have attempted to join a few different communities on line and allways seem to step on feet right away. To tell the truth I really have no idea of proticol. I did look quickly look through the list of forums and did not see any that said for outsiders only.

I do want to learn about the island and about the island life and i have allways felt you can only get to know about a place through its residence.

so thanks to all that came to my defense and i will read on like a good boy and try not to disturb any one else.

No worries iwonder...people here are generally friendly to a fault...at least in real life :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 2:56 pm 
True Islander

teh internets makes people rood... lol!!!1!one

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 4:03 pm 
Armetis wrote:
Aw - don't worry about Sally. Most here aren't like that! Any specific questions you have?

Most of us are extremely friendly and will talk about anything ... :lol: