Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Fajita Friday at Chartwells UPEI for $5.29 [Remind Me]

Lunch Roast Turkey Buffet at Rodd Charlottetown for $13.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Moving to the island.....suggestions?
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2007, 11:06 am 
Newly Created Account

Hello all,
I've been offered a job at the newly built NRC-INH building in downtown Charlottetown so I'm looking for any/all suggestions with regards to moving to the city or perhaps the outlying burbs.
For instance.....What is the transit system like? Overcrowded, reliable?

Are there any areas of Charlottetown that you would NOT choose to live and why? What would be your ideal place to live, given a commute to the NRC-INH everyday?

Is there any traffic in the morning/evening rush hour to/from the Cornwall and Stratford areas?

Is the housing market within Charlottetown on an up or down-swing?

What is the access to health-care like in Charlottetown and outlying areas?

How easily can one find affordable day-care for kids? Waiting lists?

....and anything else you can think of....much thanks in advance

Whiskeydave :D

Post subject:
    PostPosted: April 22nd, 2007, 11:37 am 
    True Islander

we got what ? 4 buses in the transit system so i would not count on th

Post subject: Re: Moving to the island.....suggestions?
    PostPosted: April 22nd, 2007, 12:11 pm 
    True Islander

Whiskeydave wrote:
    Hello all,
    I've been offered a job at the newly built NRC-INH building in downtown Charlottetown so I'm looking for any/all suggestions with regards to moving to the city or perhaps the outlying burbs.

Are there any areas of Charlottetown that you would NOT choose to live and why? What would be your ideal place to live, given a commute to the NRC-INH everyday?

Is there any traffic in the morning/evening rush hour to/from the Cornwall and Stratford areas?

Hi there,

As far as daycare goes - call now and get your kids on the wait lists (there usually are lists for various ages).

Healthcare is a contentious issue here as there are not enough doctors really. Don't count on finding a steady family doctor - there is a wait list that is filled (supposedly) through the Patient Registry Program (http://www.gov.pe.ca/infopei/index.php3?number=17947&lang=E).

I don't know where the NRC is so can't comment on anything about that.

Transit system seems to have an okay schedule for something that has only been running for a year or so...it's not suitable for me to get from my place to work on time or home at a decent hour but many people seem to make use of it.

Post subject:
      PostPosted: April 22nd, 2007, 1:51 pm 
      Almost an Islander

Don't come....why do you think so many people move AWAY from Prince Edward Island?

Post subject:
      PostPosted: April 22nd, 2007, 2:12 pm 
      Almost an Islander

JoeBlow wrote:
      Don't come....why do you think so many people move AWAY from Prince Edward Island?
      really positive comment there bud..PEI is a friendly spot (if you get the right locations, not directly in chtown, say cornwall, stratford, etc..) best of luck in finding a spot, PASSMORE ST was a great spot when i went to school, that in 1999-2001 tho and have heard it's changed a lot for the bad since then...

Post subject:
      PostPosted: April 22nd, 2007, 2:23 pm 
      Almost an Islander

Better to let her know now than later. But besides my opinion, if you have a good job lined up before you come, it's not that bad.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2007, 8:47 pm 
      Site Admin (volunteer)

paella wrote:
      I don't know where the NRC is

On the UPEI campus. The National Research Council's Institute for Nutrisciences and Health.

As a former Montrealer myself, the only advice I can offer is to prepare yourself for the culture shock :lol: (not saying that it will be a bad culture shock ... or good ... just fairly significant)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
      PostPosted: April 23rd, 2007, 1:30 pm 
      Almost an Islander

Brace yerself. :shock:

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2007, 2:16 pm 
      True Islander

Whiskeydave wrote:
      Hello all,

It's definitely not overcrowded. It's being used more, but I doubt you'd have to worry about a full bus. I've heard complaints that it isn't always reliable, but they've changed the schedule numerous times and keep trying to make it better at least.

Whiskeydave wrote:
      Are there any areas of Charlottetown that you would NOT choose to live and why? What would be your ideal place to live, given a commute to the NRC-INH everyday??

You wouldn't want to live on Bayfield st, Dorchester, Andrews Court, etc... There are a few places that some people don't like. Some don't like Hillsborough Park either, but I don't see anything wrong with it. I grew up there, and my mom still lives there and it's not too bad.

As for where to live, I'd suggest anywhere in Sherwood or Parkdale. You'll be very close to the NRC building. Close enough that you could likely walk, or definitely take a bike.

Whiskeydave wrote:

Traffic is a pain in the tookus in the summer months as that's when all the tourists are here. I can't really say what it's like during the morning and evening as I'm in Summerside, but you could make it to Cornwall or Stratford in a reasonable time (15 or 20 minutes probably).

That would be my advice basically. Charlottetown is a great spot to live in my opinion. Not too big, not too small (although someone from a bigger city might disagree!). The gov't is pumping more money into health care here, but there is a major shortage of doctors. It will take a while to get a family doctor, that's for sure.

But there is a vibrant Arts culture here. Lots to do here in summer months (you might find the winter a little less exciting!). A friend of mine works at NRC and he seems to really enjoy it. So I imagine you'll have a good experience here.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2007, 2:21 pm 
      Almost an Islander

Whiskeydave wrote:
      Hello all,

You may want to explore www.mls.ca and check around at the varying housing costs in the various communities. I think that the housing market is starting to slow a bit.

Regarding public transit, currently only Charlottetown has a bus system, however last I heard talks were ongoing about adding service from Stratford and Cornwall. I have never used it myself, but have not heard of any complaints of it being unreliable or overcrowded. You can also view the routes at http://www.city.charlottetown.pe.ca/ plus there is likely other info that may interest you there. I think most routes do go to UPEI though.

Rush hour traffic is not bad at all. There is no sitting still for an hour at a time or anything like that.

Day cares, I'm not really sure of, call around if you can.

Health care, as said before there is currently a shortage of family doctors, so it's best to call and try and get on a waiting list for that as well.

Hope this helps a bit

Last edited by Buccaneer on April 23rd, 2007, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
        PostPosted: April 23rd, 2007, 2:23 pm 
        True Islander

The transit system here is actually quite good. it has a few quirks which are sort of small town laughable (my favorite is the custom designed route the drivers come up with - if you are a little old lady they will veer from the designated route to drop you off at your door - and also sometimes simply make up the route as they go along).

My other whines are the way the seats face at the front of the bus - tho I do understand they were set that way to allow wheel chair access (the bus is set up to "kneel" to the pavement to allow roll in access) - and the nosy bus drivers. Getting off at a stop that is not your regular stop - or asking for a transfer when the driver is used to you going the full route with them - will generate the typical Island question - "where you going?"

Over all tho - the bus service here is quite excellent.

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
        We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
        PostPosted: April 24th, 2007, 12:58 pm 
        Almost an Islander

Killam Property management owns townhouses on Burns Avenue. You can see the NRC from here (this is where I live). They no longer accept pets. There is a daycare on Burns Avenue as well, and one closeby on Beach Grove Road.

Don't live in Browns Court during the school year - it's alot of young students and it can be loud by times.

Beach Grove Road is within walking distance too. It's a little more residential/homey than rent-y. Bell Crescent is nice if you're looking to buy. It's a little subdivision full of beautiful homes, a park in the centre of everything.

I find a lot of people complain about traffic here, but I don't find it very bad at all. At its worst you may take twenty minutes to get across town - and really that's nothing compared to trying to go to work from a suburb of a large city.
        PEI is a great place in a lot of ways, but not so great in others. Just like anywhere else, really. Summers are great, beaches are wonderful. I hope you love it here. The NRC is a great facility.