* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special steak & fries at outriders for $5.49 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Question for Parents
PostPosted: March 1st, 2007, 12:24 pm 
Almost an Islander

Anyone here have young children in Kindergarten or Grade 1? With the possibility of us moving to the island seeming to come clearer, I was wondering what we could expect with our daughter. She is in Kindergarten (french immersion) right now, but is apparently too young to get into Grade one next year, were we to move to the island. Anyone have any experience with this? Feel free to PM me or post publicly..

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1st, 2007, 4:46 pm 
True Islander

Well upon moving here I'd contact the school board and arrange for an assessment of your child to determine if she is ready socially and educatively for the grade 1 curriculum here...regardless of her age - if they use that as an excuse not to, push for it (the assessment). If she's completed kindergarten elsewhere and it covers the same curriculum as taught here AND she's ready socially then there should be no reason for them to refuse her continuing her education into grade 1. Would be silly to have her re-do kindergarten - she'd likely end up bored.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1st, 2007, 6:42 pm 

My cousin moved here a few years ago and her daughter had been in grade one in Alberta, the cut off date for registration must be different as the young girl was apparently too young to be in grade one here in PEI. This was in January, after she had been in grade one in Alberta since September. The mother received no help from the school board and the young girl was forced to go back to kindergarten. I thought it seemed somewhat senseless, she was at the grade one level, if not above.

How many french kindergartens are there in PEI?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1st, 2007, 6:49 pm 

My friend moved here from NB in grade one or two and they made him repeat a year. He is very smart, so that had nothing to do with it. He ended up graduating at 19 instead of 18. It wasn't a big deal since he was young and kids don't notice. I'm not sure if they do an assessment or not. They worry more about maturity issues, and if she is a year younger, it may catch up with her. Most of the people I knew with later birthdays generally struggled a little more socially and with work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1st, 2007, 7:01 pm 
True Islander

hmm graduated at 19... i guess we know who bought the booze for the grad parties lol..

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1st, 2007, 7:09 pm 
True Islander

I wouldn't accept the decision to make my child repeat a grade if it wasn't warranted (ie: if she is socially ready and has attained the educational goals for kindergarten). I'd seek private schooling if the public school system wasn't going to be supportive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1st, 2007, 8:06 pm 

TTBoy wrote:
hmm graduated at 19... i guess we know who bought the booze for the grad parties lol..

There was a guy in my english class that had a full course load and had turned 21 the spring of the year we graduated.

How!!??

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1st, 2007, 8:38 pm 
True Islander

When my son entered gr 1 - he went in at 5 as his birthday was in Jan and he was allowed to enter then. That ruling has changed now - and to the best of my knowledge (I did not keep track as we did not have to worry about it for the youngest) a child must be turning 6 in the same year they enter gr 1.

Had we known at the time the agony the pook lad would go thru - always the youngest in the class - always slightly behind - never any close friends because of the age difference - we would waited the extra year and started him with his own age group.

At gr 5 (french immersion 1 to 5) we failed him and entered him into the gr 5 english stream the next year. He is now in gr 8 - is with in his own age group - excels in school and still is tri-lingual (his home language is Japanese).

If I remember the discussions correctly - the rules for entering gr 1 were changed because to many kids who turned 6 in Jan were having to many problems in later years. From personal experience I can see why.

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1st, 2007, 10:10 pm 
True Islander

I can understand the reasoning behind the changes - however, given that Corden's child is already in the school system in another province (and depending on his/her perception and the teacher's perception on how the child has adjusted to the school system - assuming he/she's doing alright) exceptions need to be made in circumstances such as this.

Some kids do perfectly fine as one of the younger ones in their grade (speaking from experience). Anyway I don't mean to have this come across as my debating the current system because it is what it is - just think that there needs to be some flexibility for situations like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1st, 2007, 10:26 pm 

Hummmmm as for there being flexibility for situations like this I don't think that would go over well here on PEI ...If you do for 1 .. you have to do for all no matter what .. rules are rules ... i know kids in preschool that would do just great in grade 1 but the Age cut off is the age cut off no matter what ..just saying ... as a mother that has had kids in the school system for the past 18 years and only 12 more years to go .... this kind of thing would open a big can of worms for alot of people who's kids fall 1 day short on their kids starting grade 1 .

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1st, 2007, 10:39 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

carlottajoy2002 wrote:
Hummmmm as for there being flexibility for situations like this I don't think that would go over well here on PEI ...If you do for 1 .. you have to do for all no matter what .. rules are rules ... i know kids in preschool that would do just great in grade 1 but the Age cut off is the age cut off no matter what ..just saying ... as a mother that has had kids in the school system for the past 18 years and only 12 more years to go .... this kind of thing would open a big can of worms for alot of people who's kids fall 1 day short on their kids starting grade 1 .

Definitely! The system would be so tied up in testing/assessing and people who don't agree with the decision would want to be appealing...where would it end. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1st, 2007, 11:17 pm 

I am almost sure that the cut off dates to start grade one in PEI this year is Sep 30 ... the dates been moving back for the past few years and will stop next year when the cut off date will remain Aug 31 .All Children must be 6 befor Aug 31 to start grade one.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2007, 8:42 am 
True Islander

paella wrote:
I can understand the reasoning behind the changes - however, given that Corden's child is already in the school system in another province (and depending on his/her perception and the teacher's perception on how the child has adjusted to the school system - assuming he/she's doing alright) exceptions need to be made in circumstances such as this.

Some kids do perfectly fine as one of the younger ones in their grade (speaking from experience). Anyway I don't mean to have this come across as my debating the current system because it is what it is - just think that there needs to be some flexibility for situations like this.

Unless I missed something the child in question is in Kindergarden - not school.

As for your assessment idea - no otrher province would ever consider doing that - why should we?

Phil

We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Question for parents
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2007, 11:58 am 
Tourist

I tried to get my son into school a year early. It wasn't allowed. I was told by the Department of Education that I could protest to the legislature and it would do no good.

In the end he skipped grade 2, so he's where he should have been in the 1st place. However, he will always be the youngest in his class, and will graduate when he's 17.

His marks are in the 90's and always have been, so it hasn't hurt him academically. I do worry when he goes to University that he will be way younger than most of the students, but he's a good kid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2007, 12:30 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Fireside wrote:
My cousin moved here a few years ago and her daughter had been in grade one in Alberta, the cut off date for registration must be different as the young girl was apparently too young to be in grade one here in PEI. This was in January, after she had been in grade one in Alberta since September. The mother received no help from the school board and the young girl was forced to go back to kindergarten. I thought it seemed somewhat senseless, she was at the grade one level, if not above.

Similar experience here when we moved to PEI from Quebec where pre-kindergarten and kindergarten were not only de riguer but much more advanced ... kids starting Grade 1 have a much higher degree of proficiency in language and math skills than is expected here on PEI.

But because there was no flexibility in the system, our six year old had to go into Grade 1 and the nine year old into Grade 4 ... where they had to sit for nearly a year and a half for their classmates to get to the level they had been at 18 months earlier (my older daughter had been getting computer programming (BASIC) courses in Grade 3 (this was the early 80's, remember!) in Quebec, whereas her classmates on PEI were still learning their multiplication tables).

In the long run, it hurt them more than being younger in their classes than others ... because after cruising in neutral for 18-24 months, they never quite fully regained their zest for learning new things.

Quebec, on the other hand, makes accomodations for students moving from other provinces. By keeping abreast of the curriculums and standards in other provinces, they are able to make basic assessments of where a new child should be placed in the Quebec system.

Perhaps if there had been different skill/ability levels available in elementary school at each grade level, my kids might have been able to continue to be challenged at school while also being able to develop their social skills with their age peers. Has that changed since the early eighties ... is there at least that kind of flexibility now available in the system?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2007, 2:05 pm 
True Islander

philipw wrote:
paella wrote:

Unless I missed something the child in question is in Kindergarden - not school.

As for your assessment idea - no otrher province would ever consider doing that - why should we?

Phil

Well BC does - although perhaps it was the particular schools that chose to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2007, 8:56 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

I think they are pretty strict about the age thing; not sure why but I'm sure there's some study supporting it, lol.

They do allow you to hold your child back if you don't think they are ready for kindergarten and they are old enough, but they won't allow a child one month past the date deadline to register. I never heard of the assessments but that's not to say they don't do them.

My daughter is developmentally the same as my kindergarten-age boy. However, she's only four and can't start kindergarten for two more years. Maybe this is in her best interests in the long term but I know she'll be bored to death once she starts kindergarten in two years. After they start in grade one the teachers will advance them (give them higher reading than their grade level) but in kindergarten they like to keep them all on the same wave length. My kids all attend(ed) french kindergarten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2007, 9:41 pm 
Kreskin wrote:
where they had to sit for nearly a year and a half for their classmates to get to the level they had been at 18 months earlier (my older daughter had been getting computer programming (BASIC) courses in Grade 3 (this was the early 80's, remember!) system?

I think it is an injustice that people moving to PEI have to dumb down to the Island's education system. I moved from Alberta in the early 90's and graduated in 1994 in PEI. I have more examples where I was telling the teachers what the lesson was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2007, 11:13 pm 
True Islander

paella wrote:
philipw wrote:
paella wrote:
snip

Phil

Well BC does - although perhaps it was the particular schools that chose to do it.

Last I checked there was no restrictions on moving to BC.

There are excellent private schools on PEI - and Montesorri schools that tailor educational plans to suit an individual students needs.

When we realized that my son was not only going to catch up to his age level - but also surpass them in learning in regular school - rather then let the junior high level dumb him down to the rest of the class - we transferred him into Immanuel Christian school.

He loves the individual learning plan - and while his particular class spans 3 grades (7-8-9) there is only 16 kids in the entire class.

And before a bunch of you start whining about how they also teach bible studies in that school - bite your fingers. So what? Learning about religion is not a bad thing - and being exposed to an environment where goodwill and kindness is taught - is also not a bad thing.

he has attended a variety of churches and bible studies since he was a child - and still attends a variety. By his choice.

Phil

We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2007, 12:17 am 
Almost an Islander

wow... I sure opened up a can of worms... :D

I did some digging and found that, according to the regulations at http://www.gov.pe.ca/law/regulations/pdf/S&2-1-13.pdf that:

(2) No person under the age of six years may be enrolled in a school,
unless
(a) the person may be enrolled in school under subsection (1);
(b) the person within six months before seeking enrolment in a school in the province,
(i) was enrolled in a formal school program in another jurisdiction, and
(ii) received regular progress assessments from the administrator of the formal school program in the other jurisdiction that are provided and acceptable to the school board enrolling the person under this section; or
(c) the person's date of birth cannot be determined and the person is assessed as being school-ready by the school board. (EC69/96; 350/03; 397/06)

So it looks positive for us... because my daughter will have completed school in another jurisdiction and have received progress reports from her teacher, there should be no problems... hopefully. :)