Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Taco Bar at Chartwells UPEI for $4.99 [Remind Me]

Supper Martini Mondays at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $5.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Monday Lunch Special at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.80 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Student getting a JOB in Charlottetown
PostPosted: February 21st, 2007, 5:02 pm 
Newly Created Account

Hello!
I am a young ottawa resident, and I want to move to Charlottetown with my girlfriend, find a little apartment and get a decent job in the service industry.
I would save ahead to have rent for 2 months or so.
Do you think thats more then enough time to get a job at say a coffeeshop, or restaurant or whatever?
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 21st, 2007, 5:10 pm 
True Islander

work is hard to come by in the winter here. but timmie's is always hiring. Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 21st, 2007, 5:12 pm 

What's your professional background?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 21st, 2007, 5:18 pm 
Newly Created Account

I dont have a professional background, either then a credit in Organic Agriculture, and a stink load of restaurant work. Are restaurants always looking in Charlottetown?

I would be moving in early september.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 21st, 2007, 6:04 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

I really don't think you will have a problem finding a job in a restaurant here. There seems to be many service-industry jobs advertised online. I'd post the site but can't remember it right now (I have it bookmarked at work).

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 21st, 2007, 6:09 pm 
Newly Created Account

Come september, would out chances at getting restaurant/coffeeshop/retail jobs be good?
Also, what is the current housing situation? Are there always apartments available in charlottetown? Know of any real estate sites?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 21st, 2007, 6:44 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

wintertime_love wrote:
Come september, would out chances at getting restaurant/coffeeshop/retail jobs be good?
Also, what is the current housing situation? Are there always apartments available in charlottetown? Know of any real estate sites?

If you are as qualified as you say you are, I can't see you having any problem at all finding work. Of course, you may have to take "whatever" at first just to make sure you have a paycheque, but "whatever" jobs are easy to come by. It would definitely be easier in the summer, I think, because of the seasonal restaurants all over the place, but I think there is still a need for employees into the fall as well.

As for housing, there is the mls.ca website for buying a house, but you said you wanted to rent. You could check the guardian newspaper online - they advertise apartments. There is also peibst.com or usedpei.com where apartments are also available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 21st, 2007, 6:51 pm 
Greenarm Management is another company that you may an aprtment through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 21st, 2007, 7:06 pm 
Newly Created Account

We (my girlfriend and I) are going to need jobs that will likely be fixed into the winter. Are most of the restaurant jobs in charlottetown available in winter? Would arriving in September better our chances in finding one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2007, 9:09 am 
True Islander

wintertime_love wrote:
We (my girlfriend and I) are going to need jobs that will likely be fixed into the winter. Are most of the restaurant jobs in charlottetown available in winter? Would arriving in September better our chances in finding one?

My first question is why are you moving to Ch'town with your g'friend without jobs? Is it just to get away from ON? I would suggest coming here before the end of the summer - april or may would be ideal to get a job and have it last throughout the winter.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2007, 9:21 am 
True Islander

I think it could be difficult to get full time hours in the restaurant industry through the winter. But there are call centres that you could apply to as well. They might offer more hours than a restaurant would. I don't think you would have trouble finding work in a restaurant, but I would be concerned with how many hours you would get working. But I'd take a look at the job bank and try to line up a job before arriving here. That would be your best bet. www.jobbank.gc.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2007, 9:25 am 
True Islander

craiger wrote:
I think it could be difficult to get full time hours in the restaurant industry through the winter. But there are call centres that you could apply to as well. They might offer more hours than a restaurant would. I don't think you would have trouble finding work in a restaurant, but I would be concerned with how many hours you would get working. But I'd take a look at the job bank and try to line up a job before arriving here. That would be your best bet. www.jobbank.gc.ca

DITTO

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2007, 12:34 pm 
Newly Created Account

If apartments in Charlottetown are as good as they say they are (4-600 for a one bedroom) Then working part-time would be fine.
Can job bank set a job up for you?

We'de come with maybe 2-3 months rent paid, so we could find one with that. Is that enough time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2007, 2:25 pm 
True Islander

wintertime_love wrote:
Can job bank set a job up for you?

No. The jobbank is simply a website where employers can place job ads. It would then be up to you to contact the employers to apply. But if you get to PEI, there are a number of places that can help you find work. You can get a list of some service providers who can help you with finding a job, or creating a resume by going to the following site:
http://www.lmda.pe.ca/view_initiative.php?id=246

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2007, 3:57 pm 
Tourist

Finding work in the service industry in September is hard here... see a lot of restaurants get a lot of business during the summer from tourists, and are actually laying people off in the fall. I would suggest coming here in the summer, its more fun here then too.