* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Emigrating - P.E.I.?
PostPosted: March 28th, 2006, 9:24 pm 
Almost an Islander

Hi Everyone,

I apologise in advance if this type of question has been asked before.

I'm from the UK where I recently attended a show on emigration. All the provinces of Canada where represented in some way and I got talking to your Pronvincial Nominee Program Manager about P.E.I. and she seemed quite positive and said I should think about applying.

My main question is: is P.E.I. a nice place to be? I personally don't like cities or the fast paced life, but having only visited Ontario have no idea what to expect on P.E.I. or the Maritimes.

Another maybe odd question is this: my wife isn't Chinese, but she is of Chinese origin (I'm White British). Is this something that is frowned upon/will get looks etc.? The reason I ask is the representative of Manitoba at the show made a big deal of the fact we are a mixed-raced couple and implied that some provinces might have people "looking twice". I couldn't tell if he was trying to oversell Manitoba or if there was some truth in his statement.

On a completely different note, this is a great forum and site! :D If nothing comes from the PNP we will still visit for a holiday as my partner is perfect tourist fodder as she adores Anne of GG. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2006, 9:32 pm 
True Islander

My X is a Japanese lady. The only weird looks we ever get are from die hard old war veterans who can not get past the atrocities that were committed two generations ago. We ignore thier ignorance.

What the heck has happened in Britian - you are at least the third lad looking to emigrate to PEI. Wait don't answer that - I have heard what is happening in the major centers.

Come on over. You'll love it here.

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2006, 9:43 pm 
Almost an Islander

Hi Phil, thanks for the reply :)

I thought that would be the case - pretty much the same as here. I didn't notice anything when we were in Toronto, Barrie, Oshawa etc etc. but the guy made me a little paranoid.

Why are we leaving? We both have a PhD (Computer Science) and a few years experience and have looked at Canada as somewhere we can eventually start a family (I'm 26, the missus 27) and the next phase of our careers. The current waiting time to get a visa here is 39 months or 8-12 months with PNP. So we started looking at the PNP programs with an IT bias and P.E.I. was one on those and seemed to match what we wanted (The wife is from Mauritius, an island smaller than P.E.I. in land area and she likes the simple life).

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2006, 9:53 pm 
Almost an Islander

Race it definitively not a problem here. Question is, what do you intend to do? The climate is not very enticing - wind and cold in winter and mosquitoes in summer. Unemployment is high, but living is very reasonable. I moved here to retire, in 1989, and never regretted it. It's one big park - very green and beautiful, dotted with beautiful wooden houses and well kept gardens. People care. It's peaceful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2006, 10:09 pm 
Almost an Islander

I guess it depends what happens with the PNP. You can only get nominated with a job offer, so no job, no move. It's all theory at the moment. Well not the move, but maybe the move to P.E.I.

What you describe is what we're looking for though, somewhere where people care. It sounds cliched, but the idea of moving somewhere with, ok not the greatest climate, but somewhere where you can get involved in different activities etc. is a place we want to be. One thing I did notice when I was last in Canada is the idea of community plays more of an important role than it does in the UK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2006, 10:28 pm 

One thing you have to be VERY wary of is the small town mentality that exists here. People tend to be extremely cliqueish, rumors about you can get seriously out of hand, and oftentimes if one person hates you, the whole town hates you. People in small towns often have this attitude that they only want you around if you and your family have a "history" there.

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." --Aesop

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2006, 10:29 pm 
True Islander

hmm hope you know the weather difference lol we do not have mild winters like the UK.. ya ya i know 2 flakes of snow and everything shuts down there in places on the other hand 2 feet of snow and we just keep on goin here. as for pei the work is limited.. but not to limited for a creative person.. ok 1 thing BRING BEER we have crap beer compaired to what is available to you all there.. lol ya we have couple of the popular brands but selection is limited... but as for pace of live you can't get much more slower and relaxed.. unfortunatly the church or the bible thumpin parishinors still have quite a hold of the island so no things like sunday shoping and 99% of the holidays are based on the christian calendar... hmm a beach in 10 mins in every direction is nice though.. people will stop to help if you break down.. you not have to worry about getting jumped at a hole in the wall when you are gettin some quid from the machine. so crime is low here but not unheard of.. good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2006, 10:46 pm 
True Islander

Don't be scared away by what Steve says... he had some bad experiences when he lived here... but that doesn't happen to everyone... once you've gotten to be part of the community.. even though you are from away, you are still considered part of the community as well... I've lived on PEI since 1989... I was treated kinda nasty at first.. but then.. kids are like that, right?? *L* but, in the last 5 or so years, I could walk into the local bootleggers (before they were closed down) and be welcomed with open arms... by Steve's own family members, no less.. *G* I've found an extended family here, on an Island where I'm related to no one, except my immediate family... and I wouldn't trade it for anything...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2006, 11:58 pm 
True Islander

Steve's opinions are in the minority don't let him scare you....

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 12:34 am 
True Islander

As much as I agree that Steve's experiences were in the minority - he does speak the truth.

However, that hateful sort of behavior can happen in any community - and does around the world.

PEI has its share of cliques - and assholes. And damn assholes.

Overall tho people are friendly - while perhaps a little stand offish - some communities will even throw a house warming for you. You could move into today - and have an accident tomorrow and everyone and their dog is going to show up to help somehow. Or at least to get the real story.

You can have fun with that tho. Tell thrre people a story, tell the next three another one, and another three another one. Enjoy the pies and stews.

Farming here is tough. You need to be big - tho smaller (sometimes organic) farms can make a basic living. Farming is made tougher by the farms around you. Farmers tend to look at other farms with close scrutiny.

Winters can truly suck here. It can hit an average of -15 for six weeks in Jan and Feb (wind chill). Often much colder. Snow storms here are wonders. In most cases you are expected to try to make it to work - no matter how bad the storm - until the official notice is announced on the radio that your business is closed. Never mind they called school off at 0630 and you had to scramble - and drive thru pure s#!t - to get them to a babysitter.

Spring is mud. You have to see it to believe it.

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 12:37 am 

The intolerant and small minded attitudes I've come across MORE than once are not the product of my feverish imagination. I've heard quite a few other people complain about it in the past. The small town mentality I've talked about is exactly as I've said it is. Even my mother, who grew up in Borden, agrees with me.

I'm surely Islanders can be very friendly and welcoming, provided they've decided that you're "accepted", of course. I wouldn't really know. Otherwise, they can be the most vicious, petty and nasty folk on the face of the Earth. That much I HAVE experienced.

I call it as I see it.

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." --Aesop

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 7:09 am 
Almost an Islander

Thanks for all the great points, I really appreciate the advice. 8)

Just a bit more background on us: we don't drink (sorry :) but if we make it , I can bring a case of Kronenbourg 1664 to share out :D ), and we are pretty quiet. We don't really do much apart from walking and chilling out on the sofa to be honest. But saying that I do take part in quite a bit of sport when I can (soccer, field hockey, cricket, badminton) and would love to get involved in that on P.E.I. in some capacity, especially soccer.

As for religion, I'm not and the wife is a practising catholic so maybe she'll like the religious side of things :?

Is there room for quiet people who want to come out of themselves? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 7:48 am 

See everyone wants to leave the UK. LOL

Most people I have spoken with have a really friendly attitude. Some are gettin on a bit and their minds are going a bit strange.
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 7:49 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

:roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 7:51 am 
True Islander

stevebeairsto wrote:
The intolerant and small minded attitudes I've come across MORE than once are not the product of my feverish imagination. I've heard quite a few other people complain about it in the past. The small town mentality I've talked about is exactly as I've said it is. Even my mother, who grew up in Borden, agrees with me.

I'm surely Islanders can be very friendly and welcoming, provided they've decided that you're "accepted", of course. I wouldn't really know. Otherwise, they can be the most vicious, petty and nasty folk on the face of the Earth. That much I HAVE experienced.

I call it as I see it.

Nobody is saying you are making anything up, just that your experience in our opinion is not indicative of the experience the vast majority of people have

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 7:53 am 

Kreskin wrote:

Did I mention any names???? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 8:01 am 
True Islander

crimespree wrote:
stevebeairsto wrote:

I call it as I see it.

Nobody is saying you are making anything up, just that your experience in our opinion is not indicative of the experience the vast majority of people have

I agree with that, crimespree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 8:10 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Sirius wrote:
Kreskin wrote:

Is there anyone else on this board that gets hassled about his age? :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 8:13 am 

Kreskin wrote:
Sirius wrote:
Kreskin wrote:

Is there anyone else on this board that gets hassled about his age? :wink:

Erm....Damn thought I was more subtle than that.... :oops: :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 8:30 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

crimespree wrote:

And yet most of the members of this board who are not native sons or daughters of the Island, have repeatedly indicated that they have experienced some degree of the pettiness and shunning described by Steve. It does exist, although admittedly it is an attitude that is dying out as Islanders become a bit more cosmopolitan.

What matters is your own attitude ... if you are able to just brush it off and move on, you'll find that attitude alone will gain you some measure of acceptance. My father (a native Islander) once theorized that Islanders would use these tactics in order to gain the measure of the newcomer ... if they reacted to the treatment adversely (anger or arrogance), these were the type of people that weren't worth getting to know (and naturally, word would spread), but if someone could laugh it off and just move on and continue to be friendly, the Islanders would say "hey, our kind of people" :)

Profile E-mail