* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Bacon & Clam Chowder at Casa Mia Cafe for $4.95 [Remind Me]

Lunch The Great Canadian Hand Carved Sandwich at Chartwells UPEI for $5.99 [Remind Me]

Lunch Chicken wings & Chips at Casa Mia Cafe for $9.95 [Remind Me]

Supper WING NIGHT!!! at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $0.35 [Remind Me]

Supper Endless Baby Back Ribs at Hunter's Ale House for $22.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Beef Pot Pie or Veggie Pot Pie at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.10 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Moving to the Island
PostPosted: February 21st, 2006, 10:54 pm 
Newly Created Account

Hey to All!

My wife and I are planning our first visit to the Island in June. We are both from Ontario, are in our mid 40's and have had it with the Ontario ratrace. We are seriously considering selling everything here, purchasing a home and getting jobs in PEI.

I guess the Ocean is calling me. My Mom is from NS, and most of my relatives are from Nfld.

Any thoughts, opinions and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

HurrySundown :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 21st, 2006, 11:39 pm 
True Islander

Jeez - do we take Newfs here?

Seriously - you are going to have to expand on what you are looking for. Want city/country - nosy nieghbors - or a quiet life?

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 21st, 2006, 11:53 pm 
True Islander

Wow this must be the predicted Baby Boomer invasion. You're about the fourth person to post about moving here in the last couple of months.

There are a few recent posts about this subject but I'm sure most people would be glad to answer any questions you have.

We're pretty tiny, most people here could probably tell you anything about any spot on the Island or about anyone.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2006, 10:44 am 

There are 100 thousand tons of poisens appliyed each and every year to our soil and water. We poisen our own so there's no problem poisening you and yours!

Yes we are tiny, ... 130,000, ... and you would think this would be a perfect environment for social change, social experment, social anything besides the disrespect practiced today. Our ancestors idea of a good time.

Patronage, ... enough said, .. I hope you are retired, ... or really know someone, nuge, nuge, wink, wink, ..

NS is nice, .....

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2006, 11:15 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

daval wrote:
There are 100 thousand tons of poisens appliyed each and every year to our soil and water. We poisen our own so there's no problem poisening you and yours!

Yes we are tiny, ... 130,000, ... and you would think this would be a perfect environment for social change, social experment, social anything besides the disrespect practiced today. Our ancestors idea of a good time.

Patronage, ... enough said, .. I hope you are retired, ... or really know someone, nuge, nuge, wink, wink, ..

NS is nice, .....

HurrySundown ... please meet our official PEI curmudgeon and gloomy cynic, Daval.

Fortunately, most Islanders are not like him :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2006, 1:22 pm 

Yep, ... dats me!

My own personal vendetta of driving the PFAs away, ... It's getting so dat a good ol boy can't afford a 600 acre farm no more what wid all dem forieners landing here and driveing up da price of da lan, ... My po ol inbred grandaddy would be rollin in his grave, ... but den, .. he always said da smart ones left, ... an only the stupid ones comes back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2006, 4:46 pm 

HurrySundown,

You wrote:
Quote:
We are seriously considering selling everything here, purchasing a home and getting jobs in PEI.

I'd be pretty careful about cashing in all your chips before you know what you're getting into in your prospective home. A lot of folks on this board can tell you that the employment scene in PEI is quite a bit different from what you may be used to in Ontario -- in terms of availability, salary, benefits, etc. A lot depends on what kind of work you're looking for, of course. Some occupations are desperate for applicants, but lots of people with training, experience and education find they can't get good jobs in their fields.

PEI is a pretty small pond, and unfortunately a great deal depends on your connections, etc, whether you're looking for work or starting a business.

That said, you will find housing (as long as it's not waterfront) a real bargain compared to the rest of the country.

But for heaven's sake, check things out first, amigo. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2006, 8:28 pm 

Quote:
PEI is a pretty small pond, and unfortunately a great deal depends on your connections, etc, whether you're looking for work or starting a business.

Oops! did I forget patronage?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2006, 8:29 pm 

Quote:
But for heaven's sake, check things out first, amigo.

Naw, ... Don't bother, ... your desire to move here is proof of your, ... ummmm, ... desirability, .... yea, ... that's it.

Post subject: This Thread was made for me...
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2006, 11:55 am 
Almost an Islander

Friend,

Listen closely. Read this post. "From-Away" is not just my sig., it's my reality. I am a born and bred Ontario boy... I married and Islander and surprise, surprise I moved here a few years ago...

First of all, you need to know that how Islanders treat tourists and how they treat people 'from away' who move to the Island is not the same... I am not going to go into detail as to what those differences are, but suffice it to say that if you're not from the Island, you'll never be made to feel as though you are an Islander, no matter how long you live here. As long as your name is not one of the classic Island names, Arsenault, Gallant, Doucette, MacDonald, Mac- Anything, you will always get a puzzled glance and a "now that's not a local name" from everyone you meet...

Secondly, I am a teacher. I have a B.A. and a B.Ed. Having been here for two years now, and just barely getting into the system, I can tell you that you will not get a job here unless you know someone who can put a word in for you. You have to know someone. That is imperative. Your skills and education mean very little here, unfortunately.

Thirdly, I hope to God you're not a visible minority or heaven forbid, have anyone in your family who is gay, because you'll automatically be outcast.

I know this sounds negative, but I am telling you the honest truth, a truth that anyone from this Island who is honest will verify...

There are lots of good things about living here, but I'll talk about them at another time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2006, 12:09 pm 
True Islander

Well as a "From Awayer" my reality of living on the Island is a little different, thank God! I moved here only six months ago so maybe it takes longer for me to get jaded - I'll keep you posted.

My hubsand and I moved here for work - transfer in retail and transfer in government. We would not have moved here otherwise because he would have had difficulty finding work comparable in salary to what he was receiving in the West.

Having said that, since moving here, we have not been shunned as a PFA (Person From Away - just learned that acronym the other day :P) - yes, it has become a part of my identity on the Island, does it bug me? No, I'm proud to be from away and I like people to know it. I like to share experiences of my West Coast life with all these crazy East Coasters ;) and those who don't give a s#!t have been polite enough not to tell me so. Hehe.

I did not move here to become an Islander (although a lot of you are affecting my accents on some vowels! "Car" comes out of my mouth funny sometimes - must be those newfie's I'm working with!) - I moved here as a West Coast/Prairie Girl to make a life for my husband, daughter and I, on the East Coast, and we are fitting in great and loving it. (Unless I'm so completely oblivious - but then if that's the case who really cares?!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2006, 12:10 pm 

I don't agree that people from away are treated the way you say they are. We're "from away" and have got along very nicely with everyone we've met and have made a lot of good friends. I've never been made to feel that I'm not welcome because we weren't born and bred on the Island. Anytime that it's been mentioned everyone seems to just treat it like a joke and we have "Mac" in front of our last name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2006, 12:11 pm 

It's true, it's all true. If you wanna have any kind of life here at all, you have to be from "the community", whatever that particular one may be. Only people who know all the right people have a shot at anything at all. I had to leave the Island or I would never have made a life for myself. The locals would have made damn sure that if I had any job at all, it would just be a crap job no one else would wanna do. And like "From Away" said, if you're the least bit "different", then you may as well pack your bags and leave, for you wil be facing a great deal of hostility from the locals.

That's what I truly hate about Island society, so damn small, petty and narrow minded.

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." --Aesop

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2006, 1:14 pm 

You guys say it soooo much nicer than me, .... I'm humbled, .... NOT!

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2006, 1:40 pm 
True Islander

From-Away; your comments are a little insulting and upsetting, and from the tone and tenor of your post it sounds more like you are the problem than 'Island attitudes'.

Two years to get into education? with a B.A. and B.Ed. and you think you are being discriminated against?? Talk to recent graduates of UPEI with the same creditionals born and raised here and you'll here the same/similar story, a poor job market is not discrimination....

Having a gay sibling, let me tell you I feel like he is safer here than in Halifax where a few years ago a gay man was stabbed to death outside a bar, randomly selected from a line up waiting to get in. I never hide the fact that I have a gay sibling and have never felt outcast for it, it sounds like the company you keep is the exception, not the rule. Why just a few weeks ago a recent immigrant from Seirra Leone (sp?) had his bike stolen and a group of local mountain bikers chipped in over $1000 to buy him a new one and are talking about setting him up with a bike courier business!

The 'From Away' thing is so an old and riduculed custom as to be easily shaken off as a joke except for sensitive skinned people who take it as a real insult, the same as Maritimers are all viewed differently out west or in Ontario, it may be commented on but really doesn't affect anyone unless you let it.

Anyways, just sick of the build up og Island bashing on here the last few months, it's the reason I left the board the last time I did, just felt like I needed to get some things off my chest about the best part of the best part of the world to live in (IMHO), sorry if I came off harsh....

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2006, 1:45 pm 
True Islander

Crimespree - I don't think you've come off harsh, but then again, you're not directing your comments at me. I agree that the 'Island bashing' has gotten extreme recently and hopefully people can start to offer more constructive advice to those asking for information about the island rather then a blanket - it sucks, people suck, you'll hate it here - attitude. There are pros and cons to any place one might want to live - but offer the pros and cons and stop laying the negative horses**t on so thick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2006, 1:46 pm 
True Islander

crimespree wrote:
From-Away; your comments are a little insulting and upsetting, and from the tone and tenor of your post it sounds more like you are the problem than 'Island attitudes'.

Two years to get into education? with a B.A. and B.Ed. and you think you are being discriminated against?? Talk to recent graduates of UPEI with the same creditionals born and raised here and you'll here the same/similar story, a poor job market is not discrimination....

Having a gay sibling, let me tell you I feel like he is safer here than in Halifax where a few years ago a gay man was stabbed to death outside a bar, randomly selected from a line up waiting to get in. I never hide the fact that I have a gay sibling and have never felt outcast for it, it sounds like the company you keep is the exception, not the rule. Why just a few weeks ago a recent immigrant from Seirra Leone (sp?) had his bike stolen and a group of local mountain bikers chipped in over $1000 to buy him a new one and are talking about setting him up with a bike courier business!

The 'From Away' thing is so an old and riduculed custom as to be easily shaken off as a joke except for sensitive skinned people who take it as a real insult, the same as Maritimers are all viewed differently out west or in Ontario, it may be commented on but really doesn't affect anyone unless you let it.

Anyways, just sick of the build up og Island bashing on here the last few months, it's the reason I left the board the last time I did, just felt like I needed to get some things off my chest about the best part of the best part of the world to live in (IMHO), sorry if I came off harsh....

Wel said!

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2006, 3:12 pm 
Almost an Islander

Hey again, folks...

Well, at the very least, I generated some discussion. And that is the point of these boards, is it not???

Having read over what I wrote in my last post, I stick my every word of it. There is discrimination, (real or perceived, depending on who you ask) towards people who are not from the Island. It's a fact of life here.

I also want to say even though I just joined here yesterday, that discussion about the negative things about PEI should be talked about. You can't censor what people think about PEI just because it isn't all friendly and good. Every place has it's good points and bad points. I think that people who come on to this site should be able to speak their minds about issues and concerns... Let's not turn into the President of UPEI now folks...

However, I did also say that there are lots of good things here on PEI, and the good things outweigh the bad.

One of the main reasons my family and I moved here was because we believe PEI is a great place to raise our children. We like the fact that we will be able to buy our own house one day with some property, and not have a mortgage to pay off for the rest of our lives... (not that we wouldn't have a mortgage, just that it wouldn't be as burdensome as one if we bought a house in say, Ottawa)

I love the quietness. I love the slower pace. I love that there are never any real traffic jams. I love the Farmers Market. I love the Exhibition. I love walking across any road on PEI at any time of day and having the traffic stop for you...

See, there are many good things about PEI. I've clearly only scratched the surface... I say let everyone be free to express their opinions... maybe there's something to be learned from it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2006, 3:20 pm 
True Islander

I have to agree somewhat with what From Away said... I've lived on the Island since 1989... now, maybe it was because I was a preteen at the time, but I was treated like crap by most because I was not from here.. it stopped after a while, and I was kind of accepted.. but also, after a while I didn't bother telling people that I wasn't actually from the Island... and if you didn't know, you wouldn't.. because I have a famous Island surname.. no one really bothered with the fact that I was "from away" until my last year of highschool... I was in Gordie McCarville's PEI History class at Charlotetown Rural... and he made a point out of knowing where the parents and grandparents of everyone in the class were from by their last names.... I stumped him.. *L* and he picked on me for the rest of the semester, saying that I wasn't a real Islander... I showed him, though... I gave a friend of mine my notes from his grd 10 geography class... he wasn't pleased...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2006, 3:20 pm 
True Islander

Nothing wrong with expressing your opinions - good or bad, but you make it seem like every PFA is disciminated again which just isn't the case.