Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Fajita Friday at Chartwells UPEI for $5.29 [Remind Me]

Lunch Roast Turkey Buffet at Rodd Charlottetown for $13.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Moving to PEI
PostPosted: December 1st, 2003, 4:17 pm 
Tourist

Hi all,

I'm thinking about moving to PEI (from Toronto) in a few months or so. I'll probably be going to Summerside as I'd like to be in town close to stuff, and Charlottetown seems like it would be too big and touristy.

I was wondering how much things cost. Can someone give me an idea of how much it would cost to rent a good sized one-bedroom apartment in Summerside? How about a small house? In terms of other prices (food, clothing, etc.) if anyone here has visited Toronto, how would you compare it? Also, is high speed Internet available?

If you have any other suggestions or tips for someone considering moving to PEI, I'd be very interested in hearing them.

Thanks a lot!

Chris

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 1st, 2003, 4:25 pm 
From Away

You are making a sound decision to avoid Charlottetown and opt for Summerside. The hurly-burly of Charlottetown can be tough on a former Torontonian.

That said, there are some rules you should follow. For example, the standard Toronto dress code (baseball caps featuring the logos of tractor manufacturers) should be avoided lest you be mocked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 1st, 2003, 4:31 pm 
True Islander

$350-$500 a month....you can get houses for like $800 a month...these are Charlottetown prices, I am sure its the same in summerside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 1st, 2003, 8:13 pm 

Internet, what the heck is Internet?

Don't worry about clothes. We make our own from wool sheep. Don't bother bringing yer car here. We don't have any roads!

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 1st, 2003, 8:21 pm 
Almost an Islander

I'm thinking about moving to PEI (from Toronto)

Don't forget to take a good sense of humour. eh. :roll: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2003, 8:25 am 
From Away

No,No NOOOOOO

We do NOT want people from Toronto down here!Hell we had that doofus Lastman here a few weeks ago and we STILL cannot get the smell out of the car!!!
Please dear god STAY where you are and save us from the indignity of putting up with you continually saying:
"Well when I was in Toronto"

WORDS TO MAIME BY..............

Have a great day!!!

Clash

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2003, 8:26 am 
From Away

Landing in Toronto

The jumbo jet is just coming into an Airport in Toronto on its final approach. The pilot comes on over the intercom.

"This is Capt Johnson. We're on our final descent into Toronto. I want to thank you for flying with us today, and I hope you enjoy your stay in Toronto. He forgets to switch off the intercom. The whole plane can now hear the conversation from the cockpit. The co-pilot says to the pilot, "Well skipper, watcha gonna do in Toronto? Now all ears in the plane are listening in to this conversation.

"Well," says the skipper, "first I'm gonna check into the hotel and take a crap. Then I'm gonna take that new stewardess out for supper, you know, the one with the huge breasts. I'm gonna wine and dine her , take her back to my room, and shag her all night."

Everyone in the plane is trying to get a look at the new stewardess. She's so embarrassed that she runs from the back of the plane to try and get to the cockpit to turn the intercom off. Halfway down the aisle, she trips over an old lady's bag and down she goes. The old lady leans over and says, "No need to run, dear, he's gotta take a s#!t first!"

Thank you....

Clash

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2003, 9:21 am 
Tourist

Yeah, Mel Lastman, what an embarrassment. At least he's finally gone now. (Why'd you let him in your *car* for Christ sake? It's like that episode of Seinfeld, you'll have to roll it off a cliff.)

So you said you'd like to hear stories about "When I was in Toronto"? Sure, I'll make sure I always have lots of these on hand. :)

Chris

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2003, 10:06 am 
True Islander

I had a friend from Toronto that I met on the internet come visit me back in 1997. Toronto to PEI is a bit of a culture shock if you've never been anywhere else, like this fellow had. He asked a lot of questions. He wanted to know why there were so few brick buildings in Charlottetown, and why there were so many churches on the Island. It was Christmas when he was here, and he saw a lot of houses with candles in the windows and asked if there were a lot of Jewish people on the Island, because he said it was only the Jewish people in Toronto who put candles in their windows at Christmas. He said that coming here was like going back to the 60s, only we have computers. You sure you want to move here?? :P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2003, 11:00 am 
Tourist

Hi Riki,

I have travelled outside Toronto quite a bit, so hopefully it won't be too much of a shock. I've been to northern Ontario and to the Yukon before (as well as a bunch of places in the US) so I've had exposure to different types of communities.

When I was younger I thought I would always want to live in the city, but as I get older (recently turned 30) I find my preferences are changing. Anyway, I plan to rent for awhile and if I am happy after some time goes by, maybe I'll buy a place.

Thanks,

Chris

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 4th, 2003, 6:21 am 
From Away

Who are you, The Littlest Hobo?

Every stop I make, I make a new friend...
8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 6th, 2003, 9:20 am 
cmason: PEI is a great place to live but economically it is a very hard place to live. If you don,t have any skills that are wanted on the island don,t waste your time.Toronto is a bitch like any other big city but you are surviving there.I intend to retire to the island but I will be self sufficent and won,t need a job to survive.
MY advice to you is do your homework before you move to the island. PEI can be heaven but it can also be hell! I have seen a couple of people post here that had grand ideas but have lost everything because they were dreamers.
ITs to bad that this board lost alot of its posts from 11 minths ago ago. I would have told you to read them.There was some heart wrenching stories. :) :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 6th, 2003, 10:12 am 
Tourist

Hi Lanc,

Thanks for the info. Yes, it's too bad you don't still have the older posts, it would have been interesting to read them.

When I move out there it's possible I will be continuing to work at my present job, but just working remotely. Otherwise, I have enough savings that I won't need to work for 6 months to a year. I plan to live fairly cheaply and I should be able to get by with some part time or contract work. Also, my car will be paid off in a couple months, and I still have two years of extended warranty, so that's one less major cost (and I think insurance is a lot cheaper on the Island.)

I already have some retirement savings (which I won't be touching) that should grow to be enough for me when I'm ready to retire, so I really only need enough to support myself in the meantime.

Initially, I'll just be renting, but if I'm happy, I will consider buying something small. So, if it doesn't work out, I can easily come back.

I appreciate your warnings though. Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks,

Chris

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 6th, 2003, 10:52 am 
From Away

cmason wrote:
I plan to live fairly cheaply and I should be able to get by with some part time or contract work.

Alert HRDC, this guy is working under the table :!:

That my friend is what you are saying in PEI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 6th, 2003, 11:53 am 
peiwhirlwind: Doesn,t everyone work under the table on the island! :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7th, 2003, 12:15 pm 

Houses and apartments are less expensive in Summerside
City is smaller than Charlottetown
High-speed Internet may not be available in Summerside

Charlottetown is larger
Houses and apartments cost more Good sized apartment would be 495/month heated. Houses range from 650-1000 heated or unheated.
High-speed Internet is available througout Charlottetown and surrounding areas. Eastlink or Aliant are the main ones.

Employment is tricky to get here. In Toronto, you can get fired from a job one morning and start another job later that day. You would have a tough time doing that here. That may be an exaggeration on my part, I am merely stessing the fact that employment is much easier to get there.

Profile E-mail