* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Bacon & Clam Chowder at Casa Mia Cafe for $4.95 [Remind Me]

Lunch The Great Canadian Hand Carved Sandwich at Chartwells UPEI for $5.99 [Remind Me]

Lunch Chicken wings & Chips at Casa Mia Cafe for $9.95 [Remind Me]

Supper WING NIGHT!!! at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $0.35 [Remind Me]

Supper Endless Baby Back Ribs at Hunter's Ale House for $22.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Beef Pot Pie or Veggie Pot Pie at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.10 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Victoria bc to summer side or Charlotte town
PostPosted: September 17th, 2016, 9:09 pm 
Newly Created Account

That's right another retired couple is heading your way we are not sure where'yet, planning on a 2 week visit next fall,to check thingsoutwife originally from NB while I am west coast born and raised wife needs access to farmers markets in summer and I like to salt water fish but may have to learn fresh water fishing so we are wondering if $400,000 is reasonable for a modest size house and waterfront butmay built depending on circumstances. Do you think all that is reasonable or should we broaden our search to other areas Can any one recommend builders or real estate agents now for a confession I never have lived any wherre butVictoria so Im not familiar with a real winter season should we expect to buy AWD cars once we arrive or 4x4 SUVt thanks for your help. Barrie G

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Victoria bc to summer side or Charlotte town
PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 6:31 pm 
Almost an Islander

Hi. $400k will get you a nice large property and house in the countryside (ie not urban). If you want waterfront it will eat up the 400k somewhat, the larger issue is waterfront (waterview acceptable?) access in winter, there are some rivers. I know some friends have had new houses built for $175-250k (house only, ie mortgage). You could check realty websites on pei to check prices for what goes for sale to get an idea what it costs to buy a place. There may already be your 'dream home' for sale.

Winters can be bad (or good). If you are in the countryside you may want a SUV or 4x4 truck. Something that is higher off the ground at least so the snow drifts/banks don't stop the vehicle. If you plan on having 2 vehicles you can get by with a car and larger vehicle (use the larger vehicle when roads bad during/after storm). Car fine when roads get cleared couple days later. Good winter tires help lots (ie not bald).
If you build a new house make sure to build garage for the vehicles, so you don't have to shovel around the vehicles or clean them off. Easier for whoever clears/blows your driveway if they don't have to worry about vehicles in the way. Then you just clear 2-3 feet in front of garage yourself and drive out.

I'm not sure on farmers market access, I know Summerside and Charlottetown have one. Do you want the market to buy or sell?

PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 8:14 pm 
Newly Created Account

Thanks for the reply to my poorly worded post .Real estate listing almost seem too good to be true with pics that one sees in travel brochures. Pricing appears to offer great value. We are not looking for large acreage just a small plot to enjoy and take it easy and relax.We do make a point of buyingfresh summer produce from the farms that surround Victoria.However your winter access comment made me spill my tea as we plan on being there full time not seasonal.I have noticed a lot of listing have woodstoves for backup heat. Are electrical blackouts a winter problem and if so should we be thinking of a backup up generator. We were hoping a heat pump eould fit the heating needs i guess our best plan is to arrive in the fall and talk with a Realtor and tour the island to get a feel for the area and then pull the trigger on a purchase. i've got lots of research to do before that happens but after seeing a utube video of a july 2016 rainstorm our confidence is a little shaken not to mention your snowfall last winter also shown on utube as a drive from summerside to Charlottetown both looked nasty but i guess it is all part of the lifestyle change we are planning and learning to go with the flow

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 21st, 2016, 12:16 pm 
Almost an Islander

If rural you probably want a generator to run your heat+fridge+freezer+sump pump (you'd have to figure out how much watts you'd need). Some higher end places have 'permanent' outdoor propane back up generators that turn on automatically. I'd assume they start at $10k.
The longest time I've been without power was around 1 week after a freezing rain that destroyed power lines etc. The 1 week was for rural PEI (ie end of line low populated areas).
On average you may need to run it once every 2 years for couple hours to power stuff (usually we wait 2-5 hours before turning on, depending on weather). If we know bad weather coming (blizzard or freezing rain) we have generator ready to run. Though you'd want to run generator around once a month to make sure it starts/works.

If building new house make sure the electrical panel is set up for generators (tell person building it/electrician). Costs a bit extra but I think it's for better safety or something. Obviously make sure to turn off main breaker before using a generator so you don't kill power linesmen...

Well yes you can live in rural pei full time, many do.
Worst case for snowstorms is 1 week wait. But that's once every 20 years. 2 winters ago with record winter my neighbor had to wait 1 week to get large snowblower to blow out the road. But this is very rural.

You basically need to be prepared to have no power or access off property for 1 week. But should do that no matter where live.

They've gotten better with blackouts and snow on roads. Where I'm at the worse problem is power flickers. Probably 20 times a year at least we lose power for 1-5 seconds. Mostly during wind/storms. But sometimes in summer. Last week we lost power for 0.5 seconds, nice weather, just enough to reset clocks and computers. You may want a surge protector built into electrical panel. Cost more, but should help prevent any bad surges (example, someone drives into power line next to house and say bye bye to your appliances).

If building new house electric heat for backup and heat pumps works well (if large house maybe 2 separate heat pumps in case 1 fails for whatever reason). Home Insurance can be more expensive for oil and wood (oil spills, fire in house 5 months a year = fire hazard...).

You're better off to have a backup generator than not have one and when everyone on PEI loses power and all generators in maritime sell out you're screwed. This has happened before.

PS don't run generator indoors (garage), you'll kill yourself.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2016, 1:15 pm 
Newly Created Account

Hell,
I have lived in rural PEI all of my life and the only time we were ever trapped in our driveway for any amount of time was in 1982(I think) 2.5 weeks. we have better snow clearing equipment now- sometimes there may be a series power outage for 3 days. it is important to have a secondary source of heat and a back-up generator. most people only need a small one- maybe 1,200 give or take.
there are arms that provide produce boxes all year long with whatever produce they happen to have- it is a surprise every week. also if you grow a garden, you can live off that. I am a real estate agent and I have a new listing that would be perfectly suitable for living off the land-they have gardens galore and economical to heat. if the winter is tough, we enjoy the summers more. Make sure you get studded winter tires for your vehicle and it is great to have your own little snowblower too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 13th, 2016, 1:09 pm 

Have you made the trip to PEI? Did you move here yet?

the right thing at the right time,
But also to leave unsaid the wrong thing
at the tempting moment. "