Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: lots of questions PS:if you read all you're awesome ;)
PostPosted: July 29th, 2016, 11:39 am 
Newly Created Account

Hello to all, I am newbie :D and very happy to have found this site!!! you have no idea how happy.

Long story short: we went to PEI on vacation for 1 week, 5 days in we were already looking for houses, get home, call an agent and our house was for sale 4 days after our return. that i how much PEI did it for us!

I am a newly stay at home mom of 4 wonderful children aged from 17, 14, 2 1/2 all boys and a lovely 10 month old baby girl.

My sweet darling has down syndrome. I have been trying to find what PEI has to offer for her (we live in gatineau Quebec and have free services like physio, ergo, speech etc...) we also go private to have faster service, does PEI have free services for children with T21?

what about the schools? i have done a bit of research, sadly PEI seems to have the lowest scores, but that doesn't matter, we can work at home. Which school is the best?

My husband travels for work, does the airport shut down often in winter? how are the rural roads? does it take days to get plowed?

This is all i can think for now, will probably have more questions later.

I am so excited to move, anyone wants to move to gatineau, we have lovely house for sale :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: lots of questions PS:if you read all you're awesome ;)
PostPosted: July 29th, 2016, 11:48 am 
Newly Created Account

OHH and family docs, how hard are they to find?

as i said, my daughter with downs, will she go on a waiting list like everybody else or she will get a preference because.....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 29th, 2016, 9:26 pm 
Almost an Islander

In rural PEI you can wait 1-2 days to get plowed out. But that is after a big storm. Happens maybe once a winter on average (I'm talking about when weather after storm is fine but can't leave home due to road not plowed). 2 winters ago when we broke records for snowfall some people lost a week of work due to not being able to get to work (but people in the city could get to work).
Depends how 'rural' you are.

I can't answer other questions.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2016, 7:56 am 

Melissa77 wrote:
Hello to all, I am newbie :D and very happy to have found this site!!! you have no idea how happy.

Long story short: we went to PEI on vacation for 1 week, 5 days in we were already looking for houses, get home, call an agent and our house was for sale 4 days after our return. that i how much PEI did it for us!

I am a newly stay at home mom of 4 wonderful children aged from 17, 14, 2 1/2 all boys and a lovely 10 month old baby girl.

My sweet darling has down syndrome. I have been trying to find what PEI has to offer for her (we live in gatineau Quebec and have free services like physio, ergo, speech etc...) we also go private to have faster service, does PEI have free services for children with T21?

what about the schools? i have done a bit of research, sadly PEI seems to have the lowest scores, but that doesn't matter, we can work at home. Which school is the best?

My husband travels for work, does the airport shut down often in winter? how are the rural roads? does it take days to get plowed?

I am so excited to move, anyone wants to move to gatineau, we have lovely house for sale :lol:

Hey Melissa,
I would strongly suggest you use Facebook to connect with any PEI community or topic you wish to get more information on. If you want to send me a friend request I would certainly help you connect with other groups that would be much more useful.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 5th, 2016, 12:15 pm 
Almost an Islander

Melissa77 wrote:

Welcome to PEI! I think you'll like it here.

I moved here from Alberta many years ago, and it took me well over a year to get a family doctor, but in the meantime, we just went to the walk in clinics. Each family doctor that is still taking patients has a waiting list for new patients.
I can't really help with the information about care and support for Down Syndrome, but I did find this number on the internet:
PEI Down Syndrome Support Group - Telephone: (902) 838-2694

As for schools, unless you are home-schooling your children, they have to go to whichever schools are designated to the district that you live in. If they go to French school, it would be whichever one is closest to your home.

When it comes to plowing and rural roads, the primary highways are always the priority because they are most used by emergency vehicles. If you live on a secondary, or back road, your road will have last priority, and sometimes it can take days to get plowed out by the government plows, depending on how much snow fall there is.
It's good to remember that the farther you live away from urban areas, the longer it will take for emergency services such as EMS, Fire and Police to get to you when you need them. Which part of PEI are you most interested in moving to? I'm assuming it would be close to Charlottetown so that your husband has quicker access to the airport.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 7th, 2016, 3:44 pm 
Newly Created Account

Thank you so much for the info.

As for my daughter, i have found all the info needed, the hospital called me back.

I am completely amazed that it takes a little over a year to find a family doctor, where i live, it cant take over 10 years, my husband has been on a waiting list for 6 years now. As for my daughter, the hospital told me since she has downs it would take less then a month. Here, even if you have a serious illness it can take years and years. So a little more then a year...I am fine with that!

We are in fact looking to be close to Charlottetown.

Thank you again for your replies.

Profile E-mail