Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Fajita Friday at Chartwells UPEI for $5.29 [Remind Me]

Lunch Roast Turkey Buffet at Rodd Charlottetown for $13.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Moving to PEI Summer 2016
PostPosted: December 14th, 2015, 12:36 pm 
Newly Created Account

Hello,

We will be moving to PEI this summer (2016). We have been looking for a "homestead" type of property for some time, but nothing seems to fit our needs. However, we have just recently stumbled upon a mini home with an awesome location and lot.

Not knowing much about mini homes this raises some questions, along with possible addition, and barn building questions.

So here are a few of the questions we have:

1. Is adding an addition to a mobile home easy to do, costly? We are looking at a small addition that would be needed. Just a mud room with storage for winter clothing boots etc, as well as food storage.

2. We would like to either build a barn or possibly move one to our lot. We would like a 2 story if possible. Animals on the lower part, man cave on the upper. What would be the average cost of this? Probably pretty expensive? Any suggestions for a duel propose type building?

3. Is there anything specific to mini homes that we should be looking at in terms of home inspection? Again we aren't quite sure what problem areas we should be looking at, etc.

Any help would be very much appreciated!
Thank- you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Moving to PEI Summer 2016
PostPosted: December 15th, 2015, 12:56 am 
Almost an Islander

themaynehomestead wrote:
2. We would like to either build a barn or possibly move one to our lot. We would like a 2 story if possible. Animals on the lower part, man cave on the upper. What would be the average cost of this? Probably pretty expensive? Any suggestions for a duel propose type building?

I'm not sure how animals + man cave (proper indoor) would work out. What kind of animals? cat+dog? Sure.
Barn animals? Nope. Assuming want finished non 'outdoor' non smelly mancave.
Cost would depend entirely on size, finished (foundation? dirt?), winterized etc. 2 storey would add to cost (floor trusses for 2nd storey). What about just making 1st floor larger with separate areas?

I've seen additions to mobile homes done. I guess they work, but also depends on how old trailer is (is it worth $$ to spend on "good" addition to old trailer?).
By mud room I assume you mean no foundations? Just some walls and roof? Large? or just a small 8x8 porch? Though I'd suggest putting in a basic floor off the ground anyway, no need to deal directly with dirt/mud (think of like enclosed deck?).
If no foundation, and attached to trailer, you'd have to be careful of frost shifting differences on trailer+attachment.

There are lots of different kinds/quality of barns, depends on the animals, storage, equipment. Then adding supposed indoor heated (water?) mancave complicates things more.

No expert on anything, just some observations.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2015, 9:56 am 
Newly Created Account

Thank you balkoth for your reply.

The trailer is a 2008. So on the newer end, so we wouldn't mind spending a little bit of money on a small mudroom. A covered porch type structure is a great idea! Thank you.

As per the barn structure. We are talking 2 maybe 3 goats. Which indeed are smelly but we need a structure for them, and one that will be easy to clean (we plan on milking these goats) the man cave wouldn't be your typical one... flat screen on the wall type... but a separate heated open concept room where the hubby can play his drums, friends could drink, play darts that type. Would having the second floor with separate outdoor entrance and the goats downstairs still make it horribly smelly? That is something we really didn't even consider.

Maybe just a one floor with separate areas, or even just 2 structures would be better. We are trying to think of the most cost effective way to get these separate areas lol.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 17th, 2015, 10:47 am 
Almost an Islander

I'd suggest making your house addition proper (insulated, level with house etc). You don't want your winter clothes to be cold when put on, they also won't dry out. Hard to heat if not proper.

I assume you will be doing everything manually with the goats, no tractor? If tractor or something you'd want a large enough door to get it in.
Probably want a type of door to put lawn mower (ride on) or other 'toys' (4 wheeler) inside for storage.

In order to keep smell out you'd have to make sure area is airtight between goat+other room. But I'd still think if in same building smell would eventually get through. If putting proper pool table or other stuff (old couch?), carrying them upstairs would not be as nice as single floor. Also shoveling outdoor stairs in winter would be more work (also slip and fall if ever ice :P). Walking up stairs is never nice (someone in wheelchair or cane?). Friend/family permanent or even if hubby breaks foot for a month with foot cast.

I'm assuming no foundation for the barn? Plumbing/electricity in barn?

Could you attach man cave to house (part of mud room addition, but separate room)? Or would drums be too loud that sound proofing wouldn't' work? Would fix smell problem, room could be re-purposed later if don't want man cave. Wouldn't have to walk outside in -20c weather or mosquitoes in summer to get to it. More room if hosting party ("lets play pool/drums, but we have to walk through snow to get to it"). Or if wanting refreshments/bathrom, might have to walk to house to get them.

I don't know anything about drums or mancaves. :)