Conservative 26%  26%  [ 8 ]
Liberal 35%  35%  [ 11 ]
New Democrats 32%  32%  [ 10 ]
Green 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Bloc Quebecois 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other Parties 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Independent Candidate 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 31
 Post subject: How will you vote in the upcoming Federal Election?
PostPosted: September 15th, 2015, 1:12 am 

The new Federal election is heating up, how do you intend to vote?

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." --Aesop

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: How will you vote in the upcoming Federal Election?
PostPosted: September 15th, 2015, 10:12 am 

you missed abstaining as a choice

PostPosted: September 15th, 2015, 10:27 am 

This poll is intended to ask how people would vote, not whether or not they will.

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." --Aesop

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 15th, 2015, 10:28 am 

alandla wrote:
you missed abstaining as a choice

If you don't vote, then you didn't vote for a party.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 15th, 2015, 1:21 pm 

I guess I meant voting but actually voting for none of the above.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2015, 7:44 am 

alandla wrote:
I guess I meant voting but actually voting for none of the above.

Do you mean the "other parties" option or just spoiling your ballot?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 17th, 2015, 9:51 am 

I didn't include the not voting/spoiling your ballot option because they both essentially have the same effect. Not choosing means silencing yourself in the political process. People who choose not to participate are basically irrelevant because they're not exercising their voice in government. The whole point of this poll was to ask how decided voters WILL vote, not on whether or not they'll show up or just foolishly spoil their ballot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 17th, 2015, 12:53 pm 

I agree 100% spoiling our ballot is the same as not voting at all, if not worse because your essentially lying about actually voting.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 17th, 2015, 1:39 pm 

stevebeairsto wrote:
I didn't include the not voting/spoiling your ballot option because they both essentially have the same effect. Not choosing means silencing yourself in the political process. People who choose not to participate are basically irrelevant because they're not exercising their voice in government. The whole point of this poll was to ask how decided voters WILL vote, not on whether or not they'll show up or just foolishly spoil their ballot.
Nomie wrote:
I agree 100% spoiling our ballot is the same as not voting at all, if not worse because your essentially lying about actually voting.

It is a bit unorthodox I agree but I do not think it is worse than not voting at all.

I feel that the established system that we have now is failing. I really think that we need to change how we elect our representatives and feel that by stating this on the ballot, some one somewhere who keeps a tally of these things will make a note of it. If enough people do this, it should be up for discussion.

I do understand your reluctance to this stance but I've heard of many ways that people use to describe "wasted" votes such voting for the Greens as they will never win, voting for and electing your local liberal MP but conservatives win majority and becomes PM, voting for for conservative MP and they lose thus not having your voice represented at all....

30 years of eligible voting, 20 of those actively being involved in the process, and I've finally given up on the current system.

I nearly choked on super last night holding off on my opinion as my kids in grade 9 were discussing what they talked about with the election in their civics class. I'm trying not to disillusion them just yet :)

PostPosted: September 24th, 2015, 6:42 pm 

I can understand why some people feel like voting at all is an exercise in futility, especially if how they vote doesn't go their way. Some people have suggested that we change to proportional representation from first past the post, so 30% of the national vote gets 30% of the seats, etc. That way no votes are "wasted". Majority governments are hard to come by in such systems, they become "pizza parliaments" and coalition governments often happen. Also, fringe parties often have to get at least 5% of the vote in order to sit in government, unlike now where the Greens have at least 1 seat. The system we have isn't perfect, but it is a mechanism for holding the government accountable to the people, and also a way to speak our views. I take my vote VERY seriously because it makes my voice be heard, even among millions. A vote IS important if somebody only wins by one vote. We may take our vote for granted, but if you lost it tomorrow you'd be pretty damn upset. If only counts for nothing if you don't exercise it. Even voting for a fringe party means something if you really believe in their platform.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 24th, 2015, 7:03 pm 
Almost an Islander

The only thing noticed on a ballot is who you voted for.

Ballot boxes are counted and results are expected within minutes after the polls close.
No one is looking at spoiled ballots and having any philosophical epiphanies.
A spoiled ballot is just that. Spoiled. It does nothing to improve the process or affect change.

Every vote matters. Political paradigms don't change overnight. For instance, the Green Party has zero chance of leading the federal government. Does that mean you should not vote Green?
No. If people who truly are behind the Green party platform vote for their candidates it gives legitimacy to the party. People start to take notice and start to think that maybe next time they won't waste a vote or won't vote "strategically".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 24th, 2015, 7:05 pm 
Almost an Islander

Speaking of "losing your vote"...

It seems to me that to consider one's vote as lost when the party or person you voted for doesn't win is either foot-stomping or the need to be part of a "bandwagon".

I consider my vote as lost when the party that won is the party I voted for, and then that government shafts their constituency.

- Jesus of Nazareth, Matt. 26:52

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 24th, 2015, 9:06 pm 

Blake McKinley wrote:
The only thing noticed on a ballot is who you voted for.

Ballot boxes are counted and results are expected within minutes after the polls close.
No one is looking at spoiled ballots and having any philosophical epiphanies.
A spoiled ballot is just that. Spoiled. It does nothing to improve the process or affect change.

I'm not sure that is 100% true as people have noticed when there are "write in" candidates.

Quote:
Every vote matters. Political paradigms don't change overnight. For instance, the Green Party has zero chance of leading the federal government. Does that mean you should not vote Green?
No. If people who truly are behind the Green party platform vote for their candidates it gives legitimacy to the party. People start to take notice and start to think that maybe next time they won't waste a vote or won't vote "strategically".

I did say to vote, just not necessarily for the choices provided if you aren't satisfied with the options, much for the same reasons that you have just stated.

PostPosted: September 24th, 2015, 9:18 pm 

stevebeairsto wrote:
I can understand why some people feel like voting at all is an exercise in futility, especially if how they vote doesn't go their way. Some people have suggested that we change to proportional representation from first past the post, so 30% of the national vote gets 30% of the seats, etc. That way no votes are "wasted". Majority governments are hard to come by in such systems, they become "pizza parliaments" and coalition governments often happen. Also, fringe parties often have to get at least 5% of the vote in order to sit in government, unlike now where the Greens have at least 1 seat. The system we have isn't perfect, but it is a mechanism for holding the government accountable to the people, and also a way to speak our views. I take my vote VERY seriously because it makes my voice be heard, even among millions. A vote IS important if somebody only wins by one vote. We may take our vote for granted, but if you lost it tomorrow you'd be pretty damn upset. If only counts for nothing if you don't exercise it. Even voting for a fringe party means something if you really believe in their platform.

I'd like to believe that but if it we are really being honest, isn't just a way to make ourselves feel like we are more in control than we really are?

Like "the meek shall inherit" or "we are all equal" when in reality the meek get the shaft and some people seem to be more equal than others.

I guess as I get older and more curmudgeonly :wink: , I am feeling more inclined to agree with Thomas Jefferson when he said, "I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical."

PostPosted: September 25th, 2015, 10:42 pm 

True, the people are not in total control and a political elite does still rule, but at least we can exercise our political prerogative to remove governments from time to time. Bring in a fresh new batch every so often. The people in North Korea sure as hell don't have that option. They vote for the "Korean Workers' Party" almost 100% and don't DARE vote any other way. Consequently, there have been 3 generations of the Kim dynasty ruling their corrupt and failing Marxist state. You don't think all of those poor souls in North Korea wouldn't like a REAL chance and a REAL voice, even just once? At least your vote counts for something here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 26th, 2015, 5:10 pm 

stevebeairsto wrote:
True, the people are not in total control and a political elite does still rule, but at least we can exercise our political prerogative to remove governments from time to time. Bring in a fresh new batch every so often. The people in North Korea sure as hell don't have that option. They vote for the "Korean Workers' Party" almost 100% and don't DARE vote any other way. Consequently, there have been 3 generations of the Kim dynasty ruling their corrupt and failing Marxist state. You don't think all of those poor souls in North Korea wouldn't like a REAL chance and a REAL voice, even just once? At least your vote counts for something here.

Oh I agree that we have it better than some but that does not mean that we have it good either.

I'd rather get hit with a stick than shot with a gun but neither situation is ideal :lol:

Bringing in a fresh batch of the same corruption doesn't seem like it makes my vote count for much.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2015, 12:42 pm 

I vote, every election. I have voted for the person and I've voted the Party.
I always make sure my X doesn't touch the sides of the circle as I don't want to lose my vote. I would not make on this post what party I will be voting for because I feel that is a personal choice and I do not advertise my political belief. That way, I can moan and grown about ALL the parties equally.
VOTE People.

the right thing at the right time,
But also to leave unsaid the wrong thing
at the tempting moment. "

PostPosted: October 7th, 2015, 8:56 am 

Well folks, here is an outline of what Harper, Trudeau, Mulcair, May and Duceppe have promised the voters come election time. Also, the recent polls show that the Tories and Grits are now neck and neck, with the NDP in third place.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2190805/heres ... 4f6b8586cc

Profile E-mail