Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Fajita Friday at Chartwells UPEI for $5.29 [Remind Me]

Lunch Roast Turkey Buffet at Rodd Charlottetown for $13.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Apathy
PostPosted: September 14th, 2015, 3:17 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Wow! :shock:

You really know PEIinfo is in the doldrums when, halfway through a polarizing and hotly contested federal election campaign, not a single posting has been made about it.

Elections are usually when members come out of the woodwork to offer their opinions.

But not this time.

Is it because no one wants to embarrass themselves by admitting they support Harper? Is it because everyone figures PEI is going to go red (at least east of Summerside), so what is there to debate?

I would have thought that the recent rise of the NDP and Green parties provincially might have been fodder for speculation on whether that would be reflected here in this election (especially in Egmont).

But not a single peep.

Curious.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Apathy
PostPosted: September 14th, 2015, 7:37 pm 
Almost an Islander

Hotly contested. Indeed.

They're not even campaigning. So far all I see is a sorority pillow fight.

I'll be holding my nose when I vote.

- Jesus of Nazareth, Matt. 26:52

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 15th, 2015, 9:19 am 

I'll vote the way I usually vote, but it won't matter. The liberals will be back in ~shrug~. What's to debate when debate doesn't change islanders colors passed down from their parents.

*Edit. Wow, well the latest polls might have just proven me wrong.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 15th, 2015, 12:37 pm 
Almost an Islander

It would be good to see Dr. Herb and Joe Byrne win their ridings. Two excellent candidates and the new blood would be a nice change of pace.

The conservatives are not going to win the election so the argument that conservatives always use about voting for their candidates otherwise we will get nothing from Ottawa doesn't hold any water.

We'll see if they change their votes or if they are just hypocrites who talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 19th, 2015, 9:19 am 
Almost an Islander

i'm a member of the ABC movement and plan to vote strategically myself, therefore i'm not sure yet who i'll vote for until we get closer to election day, though i do know who i won't be voting for.....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 20th, 2015, 8:47 pm 

Not like there is anything to get excited about or even argue, whats the choice?

A tyrant, a fool and somebody who won't decide if he is either till after the election.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 21st, 2015, 6:49 pm 
Almost an Islander

So which one is which and why?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2015, 8:13 am 

I'm going to guess Harper, Trudeau and Mulclair. Pretty self explanatory.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2015, 10:39 am 

Nomie wrote:

Yes. I think if Mulcair gets elected we may find out he is more right of centre then left, but only after he gets elected. We know where Harper stands and as for Trudeau, well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2015, 11:58 am 
Almost an Islander

Nomie wrote:

No. It's not self explanatory at all.
What specifically about each of these candidates qualifies them for those labels.
We are voting in a national election. It's not a trivial thing. I would think people would be better able to explain their decision making.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2015, 1:55 pm 

Blake McKinley wrote:
Nomie wrote:

No. It's not self explanatory at all.
What specifically about each of these candidates qualifies them for those labels.
We are voting in a national election. It's not a trivial thing. I would think people would be better able to explain their decision making.

Because people see Harper as a Tyrant. Trudeau is proving himself to be a fool and as Yesitsme said above "if Mulcair gets elected we may find out he is more right of centre then left, but only after he gets elected".

I would think self explanatory, in your face and easily identified characteristics wouldn't need to be explained. I'm a strong conservative but I don't let that shade my perception of Harper. If people look without their party colored glasses they would readily agree with Yesitsme's statement.

Too many people are waaaay to emotionally invested in their party colors.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2015, 3:21 pm 
Almost an Islander

So nothing then. A few easy labels with no substance or argument to back them up.

I sure hope people are going to cast their votes from a more informed position than this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2015, 10:45 pm 

People aren't informed though. I have never seen an election campaign where the agenda has been so driven by the media, today being a perfect example. Trudeau made a statement that simply perpetuates old stereotypes about communities of abuse and hardly a peep from the media.

If it was Harper they would treat it like the JFK shooting and if it was Mulcair they would be frying him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2015, 7:02 am 
Almost an Islander

I saw critical coverage of that statement on at least 4 news sites almost minutes after he spoke.

I hope you are not buying in to this myth of the "liberal" media.

Either way, I'm still curious what actual candidate policies or actions led you to create those labels.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2015, 9:41 am 

Blake McKinley wrote:

I sure hope people are going to cast their votes from a more informed position than this.

HAHAHAHAHA. You think people cast votes base on information. This is PEI. Most people are born into a color and stay that color. Thankfully a lot of the younger generations are a bit more flexible.

What a politician says can only be taken with a grain of salt. How they act and what they do tells us more about them than their words/promises, and those actions show us what Yesitsme pointed out. Its not rocket science

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2015, 10:31 am 
Almost an Islander

Ok. So still nothing.

You say that actions show us what Yesitsme pointed out.
What actions?

What actual actions have these candidates done that justify the labels that Yesitsme and yourself are applying?

All I am hearing are generalities with no substance to back up claims.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2015, 12:04 pm 

If you can't get past the obvious, why not enlighten us as to why they don't deserve the labels that others can clearly comprehend. Give us some substance and make us informed. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2015, 3:04 pm 
Almost an Islander

Really? This is your idea of political discourse?
I guess I won't even bother. There is no use in trying on this forum.

You make claims.
You then claim that your reasoning is "obvious".
You back up the claims by repeating that the reasons are obvious without ever offering anything.
Then you ask someone who is making NO claims try an prove your claims wrong.

Typical I guess. Any YOU are the ones who say Islanders are not informed?
Ironic.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2015, 8:24 pm 

Blake McKinley wrote:
Really? This is your idea of political discourse?
I guess I won't even bother. There is no use in trying on this forum.

You make claims.
You then claim that your reasoning is "obvious".
You back up the claims by repeating that the reasons are obvious without ever offering anything.
Then you ask someone who is making NO claims try an prove your claims wrong.

Typical I guess. Any YOU are the ones who say Islanders are not informed?
Ironic.

Ok Harper is seen as a tyrant because he is intractable. Unlike Chretien who would only make a decision when he was pretty sure which way the political winds were blowing, Harper will often stake a claim and simply not change his mind. He is smart, a control freak and looks long term. He has blown off the media because he knows he has to have complete control over his message and they will not cooperate. People despise him even worse then they did Mulroney.

Mulcair is simply a little left of Tory but he is far from a Tommy Douglas NDP'er. So far he has promised everything to everyone because he knows he will have to break some promises after the election. Once elected he will actually decide on what he will and won't do. If the Tory's had offered him more he would have become a Tory not that many years ago anyway so anyone who thinks they are getting Bob Rae may be in for a surprise.

Trudeau is simply a product of the media, its fascination with his father and their determination to show Harper and by extension all politicians (after the election because Harper will not win) that they can dictate issues and drive opinion. Harper has disdain for them and now its payback. Trudeau gets a free pass for everything and he has proven himself simply incapable of even keeping his foot out of his mouth but they let him slide. This is the guy who admires communist china's economic nimbleness, can't decide if Canada owns the North Pole, never broached a single piece of legislation, and only notable accomplishment is beating the s#!t out of a drug addicted Tory appointed senator. He is a vacuum, he is young and seen as progressive and enlightened and good looking, but most of all he is just not Stephen Harper. But he is a vacuum.

And maybe the next Prime Minister.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 24th, 2015, 9:50 am 

And all you do is complain and ask us to explain ourselves, yet you don't explain your statements. Now that Yesitsme has described the obvious how about you do the same. He showed you his, now instead of complain and put down his statement without any reason, show us yours.

Profile E-mail