PEIinfo Logo
  Top Banner

Listings Coming Soon
 
Home
* FAQ
* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Fajita Friday at Chartwells UPEI for $5.29 [Remind Me]

Lunch Roast Turkey Buffet at Rodd Charlottetown for $13.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Apathy
PostPosted: September 14th, 2015, 3:17 pm 
Offline
Site Admin (volunteer)
User avatar

Joined: November 1st, 2003, 7:55 am
Posts: 16903
Location: Brackley Beach PE / Lake Wales FL
Wow! :shock:

You really know PEIinfo is in the doldrums when, halfway through a polarizing and hotly contested federal election campaign, not a single posting has been made about it.

Elections are usually when members come out of the woodwork to offer their opinions.

But not this time.

Is it because no one wants to embarrass themselves by admitting they support Harper? Is it because everyone figures PEI is going to go red (at least east of Summerside), so what is there to debate?

I would have thought that the recent rise of the NDP and Green parties provincially might have been fodder for speculation on whether that would be reflected here in this election (especially in Egmont).

But not a single peep.

Curious.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apathy
PostPosted: September 14th, 2015, 7:37 pm 
Offline
Almost an Islander

Joined: June 19th, 2013, 10:43 am
Posts: 450
Location: Cyberian wilderness
Hotly contested. Indeed.

They're not even campaigning. So far all I see is a sorority pillow fight.

I'll be holding my nose when I vote.

_________________
"Live by the sword, die by the sword".
- Jesus of Nazareth, Matt. 26:52


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apathy
PostPosted: September 15th, 2015, 9:19 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: October 20th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Posts: 1493
I'll vote the way I usually vote, but it won't matter. The liberals will be back in ~shrug~. What's to debate when debate doesn't change islanders colors passed down from their parents.

*Edit. Wow, well the latest polls might have just proven me wrong.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apathy
PostPosted: September 15th, 2015, 12:37 pm 
Offline
Almost an Islander

Joined: November 16th, 2014, 12:56 am
Posts: 286
It would be good to see Dr. Herb and Joe Byrne win their ridings. Two excellent candidates and the new blood would be a nice change of pace.

The conservatives are not going to win the election so the argument that conservatives always use about voting for their candidates otherwise we will get nothing from Ottawa doesn't hold any water.

We'll see if they change their votes or if they are just hypocrites who talk the talk but don't walk the walk.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apathy
PostPosted: September 19th, 2015, 9:19 am 
Offline
Almost an Islander

Joined: February 1st, 2014, 2:15 pm
Posts: 353
i'm a member of the ABC movement and plan to vote strategically myself, therefore i'm not sure yet who i'll vote for until we get closer to election day, though i do know who i won't be voting for.....


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apathy
PostPosted: September 20th, 2015, 8:47 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: July 4th, 2009, 1:07 pm
Posts: 1315
Not like there is anything to get excited about or even argue, whats the choice?

A tyrant, a fool and somebody who won't decide if he is either till after the election.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apathy
PostPosted: September 21st, 2015, 6:49 pm 
Offline
Almost an Islander

Joined: November 16th, 2014, 12:56 am
Posts: 286
So which one is which and why?


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apathy
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2015, 8:13 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: October 20th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Posts: 1493
I'm going to guess Harper, Trudeau and Mulclair. Pretty self explanatory.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apathy
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2015, 10:39 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: July 4th, 2009, 1:07 pm
Posts: 1315
Nomie wrote:
I'm going to guess Harper, Trudeau and Mulclair. Pretty self explanatory.



Yes. I think if Mulcair gets elected we may find out he is more right of centre then left, but only after he gets elected. We know where Harper stands and as for Trudeau, well.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apathy
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2015, 11:58 am 
Offline
Almost an Islander

Joined: November 16th, 2014, 12:56 am
Posts: 286
Nomie wrote:
I'm going to guess Harper, Trudeau and Mulclair. Pretty self explanatory.



No. It's not self explanatory at all.
What specifically about each of these candidates qualifies them for those labels.
We are voting in a national election. It's not a trivial thing. I would think people would be better able to explain their decision making.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apathy
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2015, 1:55 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: October 20th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Posts: 1493
Blake McKinley wrote:
Nomie wrote:
I'm going to guess Harper, Trudeau and Mulclair. Pretty self explanatory.



No. It's not self explanatory at all.
What specifically about each of these candidates qualifies them for those labels.
We are voting in a national election. It's not a trivial thing. I would think people would be better able to explain their decision making.


Because people see Harper as a Tyrant. Trudeau is proving himself to be a fool and as Yesitsme said above "if Mulcair gets elected we may find out he is more right of centre then left, but only after he gets elected".

I would think self explanatory, in your face and easily identified characteristics wouldn't need to be explained. I'm a strong conservative but I don't let that shade my perception of Harper. If people look without their party colored glasses they would readily agree with Yesitsme's statement.

Too many people are waaaay to emotionally invested in their party colors.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apathy
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2015, 3:21 pm 
Offline
Almost an Islander

Joined: November 16th, 2014, 12:56 am
Posts: 286
So nothing then. A few easy labels with no substance or argument to back them up.

I sure hope people are going to cast their votes from a more informed position than this.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apathy
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2015, 10:45 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: July 4th, 2009, 1:07 pm
Posts: 1315
People aren't informed though. I have never seen an election campaign where the agenda has been so driven by the media, today being a perfect example. Trudeau made a statement that simply perpetuates old stereotypes about communities of abuse and hardly a peep from the media.

If it was Harper they would treat it like the JFK shooting and if it was Mulcair they would be frying him.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apathy
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2015, 7:02 am 
Offline
Almost an Islander

Joined: November 16th, 2014, 12:56 am
Posts: 286
I saw critical coverage of that statement on at least 4 news sites almost minutes after he spoke.


I hope you are not buying in to this myth of the "liberal" media.

Either way, I'm still curious what actual candidate policies or actions led you to create those labels.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apathy
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2015, 9:41 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: October 20th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Posts: 1493
Blake McKinley wrote:

I sure hope people are going to cast their votes from a more informed position than this.


HAHAHAHAHA. You think people cast votes base on information. This is PEI. Most people are born into a color and stay that color. Thankfully a lot of the younger generations are a bit more flexible.

What a politician says can only be taken with a grain of salt. How they act and what they do tells us more about them than their words/promises, and those actions show us what Yesitsme pointed out. Its not rocket science


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apathy
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2015, 10:31 am 
Offline
Almost an Islander

Joined: November 16th, 2014, 12:56 am
Posts: 286
Ok. So still nothing.

You say that actions show us what Yesitsme pointed out.
What actions?

What actual actions have these candidates done that justify the labels that Yesitsme and yourself are applying?

All I am hearing are generalities with no substance to back up claims.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apathy
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2015, 12:04 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: October 20th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Posts: 1493
If you can't get past the obvious, why not enlighten us as to why they don't deserve the labels that others can clearly comprehend. Give us some substance and make us informed. :roll:


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apathy
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2015, 3:04 pm 
Offline
Almost an Islander

Joined: November 16th, 2014, 12:56 am
Posts: 286
Really? This is your idea of political discourse?
I guess I won't even bother. There is no use in trying on this forum.

You make claims.
You then claim that your reasoning is "obvious".
You back up the claims by repeating that the reasons are obvious without ever offering anything.
Then you ask someone who is making NO claims try an prove your claims wrong.

Typical I guess. Any YOU are the ones who say Islanders are not informed?
Ironic.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apathy
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2015, 8:24 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: July 4th, 2009, 1:07 pm
Posts: 1315
Blake McKinley wrote:
Really? This is your idea of political discourse?
I guess I won't even bother. There is no use in trying on this forum.

You make claims.
You then claim that your reasoning is "obvious".
You back up the claims by repeating that the reasons are obvious without ever offering anything.
Then you ask someone who is making NO claims try an prove your claims wrong.

Typical I guess. Any YOU are the ones who say Islanders are not informed?
Ironic.


Ok Harper is seen as a tyrant because he is intractable. Unlike Chretien who would only make a decision when he was pretty sure which way the political winds were blowing, Harper will often stake a claim and simply not change his mind. He is smart, a control freak and looks long term. He has blown off the media because he knows he has to have complete control over his message and they will not cooperate. People despise him even worse then they did Mulroney.

Mulcair is simply a little left of Tory but he is far from a Tommy Douglas NDP'er. So far he has promised everything to everyone because he knows he will have to break some promises after the election. Once elected he will actually decide on what he will and won't do. If the Tory's had offered him more he would have become a Tory not that many years ago anyway so anyone who thinks they are getting Bob Rae may be in for a surprise.

Trudeau is simply a product of the media, its fascination with his father and their determination to show Harper and by extension all politicians (after the election because Harper will not win) that they can dictate issues and drive opinion. Harper has disdain for them and now its payback. Trudeau gets a free pass for everything and he has proven himself simply incapable of even keeping his foot out of his mouth but they let him slide. This is the guy who admires communist china's economic nimbleness, can't decide if Canada owns the North Pole, never broached a single piece of legislation, and only notable accomplishment is beating the s#!t out of a drug addicted Tory appointed senator. He is a vacuum, he is young and seen as progressive and enlightened and good looking, but most of all he is just not Stephen Harper. But he is a vacuum.

And maybe the next Prime Minister.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apathy
PostPosted: September 24th, 2015, 9:50 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: October 20th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Posts: 1493
And all you do is complain and ask us to explain ourselves, yet you don't explain your statements. Now that Yesitsme has described the obvious how about you do the same. He showed you his, now instead of complain and put down his statement without any reason, show us yours.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group