Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Saturday Steak Special at Fireman's Club for $5.75 [Remind Me]

Lunch Steak Special at Ch'town Curling Club for $10.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special steak & fries at outriders for $5.49 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Problems with Bell Aliant DSL?
PostPosted: May 10th, 2015, 7:39 pm 
From Away

Has anyone else been having problems with Bell Aliant's DSL lately? I live near Wood Islands. We are losing the internet quite a bit. It might happen once one day then a dozen times the next. It started about a month ago. Bell replaced our modem - no change. Sometimes it will drop for just a few seconds, others for 20 minutes. Today it was out for 3 hours. We called Bell again and they "reset the router" on their end. A co-worker who lives near Stratford seems to be having the same issues. Anyone else? It's bad enough that its painfully slow. Now have it crapping out like it is (and not having any competitor to switch too) is driving me nuts!
Todd

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Problems with Bell Aliant DSL?
PostPosted: May 10th, 2015, 8:11 pm 

Todd wrote:
Has anyone else been having problems with Bell Aliant's DSL lately? I live near Wood Islands. We are losing the internet quite a bit. It might happen once one day then a dozen times the next. It started about a month ago. Bell replaced our modem - no change. Sometimes it will drop for just a few seconds, others for 20 minutes. Today it was out for 3 hours. We called Bell again and they "reset the router" on their end. A co-worker who lives near Stratford seems to be having the same issues. Anyone else? It's bad enough that its painfully slow. Now have it crapping out like it is (and not having any competitor to switch too) is driving me nuts!
Todd

Nothing to report for here in West Royalty.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 11th, 2015, 11:30 am 
True Islander

Gardiner wrote:
Nothing to report for here in West Royalty.

You use dsl in west royalty?

PostPosted: May 12th, 2015, 3:09 pm 
Tourist

Hi there, I use bell dsl also, out in the boonies, near orwell. I've had the same problem you experience, almost on a continual basis for years now. Techs working outside, inside, router changes etc. End of the day the bell lines out here are total crap. they know it. they refuse to upgrade the lines. dropped connections, slow speeds, all part of it.

Registered Linux User #466250

PostPosted: May 15th, 2015, 10:14 pm 

I had tons of problems, and they all seemed to stem from the wireless modem that Bell uses. I switched to the wired Speedstream 4200 and use my own Dlink router and the problems with dropped/lost connections went away. That wireless modem is garbage imo

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2015, 10:53 pm 
From Away

Bell is coming out for yet another visit tomorrow. We'll see how that goes.. My wife and I both have part time home businesses that rely heavily on the internet being up and reliable. How is there going to be any business investment on this island if the data infrastructure is this bad? Not every business wants or can be in the city! :evil:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 26th, 2015, 8:17 am 
Tourist

Hope they got you sorted out, if possible. My take on it is that they aren't going to do anything to existing rural infastructure. As people drop home phones etc, they won't bother. Enough of the rural population here just won't complain either. Many accept the crappy service as "well, that's just the way it is". Where I live, I am a long, long way from the switching station I use. My home phone has static, sometimes to the point of being unuseable. They come and tinker with the lines, and it's ok for a little while. Then it starts all over again. The sad part is, there is a station less that 2k from our area that we should all be hooked up to. Makes sense to everyone except Aliant.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2015, 8:14 pm 
Almost an Islander

mikej wrote:
The sad part is, there is a station less that 2k from our area that we should all be hooked up to. Makes sense to everyone except Aliant.

It makes perfect sense for Aliant. Increase rural prices (basic internet went up couple months ago) yet the service is the exact same.

They won't 'upgrade' rural islanders unless the government gives them another untendered contract. So basically Islanders will pay with taxes for Aliant to bring/upgrade their own infrastructure so they can charge us even more.

If you want to cancel your landline but still have their internet they charge you a fee. So get screwed every way possible.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2015, 8:05 pm 
From Away

No kidding.. Two months ago our internet was $39.95 plus HST for a total of $45.54.

This month internet is $50.93 PLUS a "high speed (ya right) Network Charge" of $10.00 AND "Bell Alliant High Speed Internet Promotion Apr 25 to May 3 @$39.95" fee of $10.65? for a total of $71.58 plus HST!

I have no idea what these extra charges mean. Our internet is now EVEN worse than when I last posted. The repair guys have been here three times since! I guess we'll be back on the phone tomorrow with them..
Today it was literally slower than dial up!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 30th, 2015, 1:50 pm 
Almost an Islander

wow, that's insane! i knew it was bad, but that's plain crazy for that price, i'll never complain about my Eastlink internet bill again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 31st, 2015, 12:22 pm 
Tourist

Ya, it is bad, no doubt. I've started once again to a series of drop offs and slow speeds as well for the last week. On the phone again tomorrow. One thing for certain, the service calls aren't going to end for them..............

PostPosted: May 31st, 2015, 4:06 pm 
Almost an Islander

mikej wrote:
Ya, it is bad, no doubt. I've started once again to a series of drop offs and slow speeds as well for the last week. On the phone again tomorrow. One thing for certain, the service calls aren't going to end for them..............

I had problems before with my modem overheating and 'crashing'. I fixed it with a fan underneath it from my computer (140mm case fan on top of tower with modem+router sitting on top of it).

I got speed slow downs where they would limit my download speeds when I would download a lot within a day or two. Restarting the modem usually fixed it as it would give me a new ip address from Aliant.

Wouldn't want people with 160kbps download speed to bankrupt Aliant, so better throttle them!

I think I ended up getting new aliant modem couple years ago and havn't had resets or throttling recently though.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2015, 9:05 pm 
Tourist

I've been through modem replacements and have had extensive service calls. It always comes down to degraded external lines outside. Depending on where you live on the island, and the state of said aged lines will determine whether you have reliable internet.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2015, 8:23 am 
From Away

Bell is coming out again today.. No change in the service- constantly dropping and slow when it works. At one point our download speed was slower than upload!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 7th, 2015, 8:54 am 
Tourist

I feel for you. Back in the same boat here. Mind you, it never does go away. I'll be calling them again tomorrow when I get a chance to sit on the phone for an hour going through the senseless checks once again before they send out a line guy. I wish more rural dsl people on PEI could all get together and have a voice.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2015, 9:59 am 
Almost an Islander

Aliant is on their annual door to door sales routine again, almost laughed in the guys face when he was here Friday trying to talk me into switching back from Eastlink.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 7th, 2015, 12:44 pm 
True Islander

I see people in ontario can get 3 years fibre tv and internet for $99.99 a month, while we here who's government paid for most of their lines get 3 months.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2015, 8:32 am 
Tourist

After reading about the huge jumps in monthly bills, I guess our monthly bill isn't too bad.

It wasn't advertised but Aliant gave us a 2 year fiber op bundle @ $110. monthly with no contract. 17 months still left on it. We'll decide at that time what we'll do.

"Home Phone And Long Distance
• FibreOP Home Phone Service with Emergency 911
• 5¢ World Long Distance Plan
• Voicemail (Includes Voicemail-to-Email)
• Call Display • Call Forwarding
• Call Return • Call Waiting
• 3 Way Calling"

"Digital TV
• FibreOP TV HD
• Access to Pay-Per-View Movies & Events
• Picture in Picture Program Guide
• Movies Package,Cravetv and Kids Suite
• Personal Video Recorder (PVR)
• HD Advantage"

"FibreOP Internet 150/30"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 8th, 2015, 9:47 pm 
Almost an Islander

marc wrote:
After reading about the huge jumps in monthly bills, I guess our monthly bill isn't too bad.

It wasn't advertised but Aliant gave us a 2 year fiber op bundle @ $110. monthly with no contract. 17 months still left on it. We'll decide at that time what we'll do.

"Home Phone And Long Distance
• FibreOP Home Phone Service with Emergency 911
• 5¢ World Long Distance Plan
• Voicemail (Includes Voicemail-to-Email)
• Call Display • Call Forwarding
• Call Return • Call Waiting
• 3 Way Calling"

"Digital TV
• FibreOP TV HD
• Access to Pay-Per-View Movies & Events
• Picture in Picture Program Guide
• Movies Package,Cravetv and Kids Suite
• Personal Video Recorder (PVR)
• HD Advantage"

"FibreOP Internet 150/30"

Wow, you're lucky.
We at one time were paying
$75 including tax for basic bell satellite with 15 year old receiver. Got rid of that and got netflix+antenna (cbc/ctv/global)
~$70 including tax for basic internet (1.5mbit download all we can get).
Probably $30-40 a month for basic landline phone. Though I have no idea, havn't looked at bill recently.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2015, 9:07 am 
Almost an Islander

good deal. currently i get home phone with all the features with 5 cents a minute long distance, and 20 Mbps per minute down and 2 Mbps up, unlimited, for $103 tax included from Eastlink. i know some friends got really good deals from retentions departments by both companies by threatening to switch to the competitor.

Profile E-mail