* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Sunday Brunch at Rodd Royalty for $16.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Provincial Election 2015
PostPosted: April 21st, 2015, 6:50 pm 
Almost an Islander

I get the impression the Liberals are solidifying there lead. The close ones may fall to them. Lantz will have to swim upstream against a Liberal spring freshet in the City of Charlottetown.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 21st, 2015, 7:01 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Blake McKinley wrote:
Section 125 of the Criminal Code of Canada.
Section 126 of the PEI Elections Act.

I'm not sure that I see the connection.

I read those and fail to see how they would make him an "illegal leader" as they have no connection to the process of being the leader of a political party.

Now, if you meant to say that, as a leader, he has committed illegal activities (bribed or accepted bribes as per your references), that is a pretty serious accusation. Can you back it up?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 21st, 2015, 7:01 pm 
True Islander

Blake McKinley wrote:
If they do return to power they should be prepared for the lawsuits that come with having an illegal leader.

Pretty hard to prepare for frivolous lawsuits.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2015, 7:13 pm 
Almost an Islander

People will always cover for these guys. It's sad.
The law is specific and it applies to the Vessey/MacLauchlan deal.
Ontario didn't seem to think this type of transaction is frivolous.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2015, 12:37 pm 
Almost an Islander

Quote:
19- Ramona Roberts – Liberal

Jamie fox lost by 122 votes in last election, so with Liberal dissatisfaction, Ramona would have to be one hell of a campaigner.

She'd basically have to convert conservative voters to vote for her in order to win (assuming more will vote conservative in general across PEI).

http://www.electionspei.ca/provincial/h ... ults/2011/

Possible for Liberals to squeek by with a majority. Guess voters want Liberals to waste money instead of Conservatives to waste money ;)

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2015, 7:47 pm 
True Islander

Blake McKinley wrote:
People will always cover for these guys. It's sad.
The law is specific and it applies to the Vessey/MacLauchlan deal.
Ontario didn't seem to think this type of transaction is frivolous.

What is the Vessy/MacLauchlan deal?

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2015, 7:54 pm 

balkoth wrote:
I don't see how Liberals can/should win.

Take HST for example. Many probably thought it would be coming at some point, and if it truly does make taxes simpler for businesses and consumers then great.

But the Liberals said they weren't bringing it in last election. Then said they would bring it in at the right time. Then they announced it but had no idea what should be taxed not taxed extra. Why does heating oil get exemption but not other forms of heat (I can understand electricity too hard to keep track of but wood/pellets/propane)? They screwed people over who thought it would have same taxes (and invested in alternates to home heating oil).

Then they said businesses would save money and pass on to consumers which anyone knew was bulls**t (best case would be a price 'freeze' until costs forced prices up again which would only last like 6 months probably). Then 1 week before HST was implemented they announced increasing small business tax. How are small business going to pass on HST savings when they are now taxed more?

The government took on Maritime Electric debt in order to freeze electricity rates for votes. Then they introduced HST which increased electric costs.

If they cut all the bulls**t out of HST and were upfront about everything from start it would not have been such a slap in the face pretending Islanders are stupid.

e-gambiling scandal. $1 million down the drain. Ethics commissioner didn't think having inside info about a company/business that required gov approval and funding would be unethical to invest in it???
How many of these backroom deals that don't go public or fail, make people inside government or friends rich?

They continued with PNP, and lawyers/accountants etc sent the money offshore so CRA couldn't touch it.

Waste of money in hills/waves in borden.

If you look at what's happened to the CPI over the almost two years since the HST was brought in, the reality is that the savings have in fact been passed on.

As to the increase in the tax rate for small business, that was a fraction of the money most saved on the HST.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2015, 9:02 pm 

screenname wrote:
Casey will win this easily, with Mceneily second.
Young is not being well received on the door step.
If McNeily was a tory, I would give the district to him.

How do you know that Diane Young is not being well received at the door. Did you conduct a pole? She came to my house and talked with my wife. My wife was so impressed she went and made a donation to support her campaign. Diane is down to earth and on top of the issues. I am also impressed with Gordon McNeilly, unfortunately he is running for the NDP.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2015, 9:10 pm 

sentance wrote:
balkoth wrote:

Take HST for example. Many probably thought it would be coming at some point, and if it truly does make taxes simpler for businesses and consumers then great.

But the Liberals said they weren't bringing it in last election. Then said they would bring it in at the right time. Then they announced it but had no idea what should be taxed not taxed extra. Why does heating oil get exemption but not other forms of heat (I can understand electricity too hard to keep track of but wood/pellets/propane)? They screwed people over who thought it would have same taxes (and invested in alternates to home heating oil).

Then they said businesses would save money and pass on to consumers which anyone knew was bulls**t (best case would be a price 'freeze' until costs forced prices up again which would only last like 6 months probably). Then 1 week before HST was implemented they announced increasing small business tax. How are small business going to pass on HST savings when they are now taxed more?

The government took on Maritime Electric debt in order to freeze electricity rates for votes. Then they introduced HST which increased electric costs.

If they cut all the bulls**t out of HST and were upfront about everything from start it would not have been such a slap in the face pretending Islanders are stupid.

e-gambiling scandal. $1 million down the drain. Ethics commissioner didn't think having inside info about a company/business that required gov approval and funding would be unethical to invest in it???
How many of these backroom deals that don't go public or fail, make people inside government or friends rich?

They continued with PNP, and lawyers/accountants etc sent the money offshore so CRA couldn't touch it.

If you look at what's happened to the CPI over the almost two years since the HST was brought in, the reality is that the savings have in fact been passed on.

As to the increase in the tax rate for small business, that was a fraction of the money most saved on the HST.

I think the CPI is down because of the drop in oil and the stagnating housing market, not because local businesses are passing on the savings. I don't know of any local business that has lowered its prices. In fact, after the introduction of the HST, The Hair Shop raised its prices by 33% and said that it was because of the HST.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2015, 9:49 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Reggie The Shark wrote:
In fact, after the introduction of the HST, The Hair Shop raised its prices by 33% and said that it was because of the HST.

Not sure that is a good example. Yes, there were a few PST exempt services/goods (like barber services) that were affected that way, but what about the majority of businesses that were dealing with both GST and PST prior to the HST? I was car shopping about the time that the switch over to HST was happening and I saw the price of one vehicle I was particularly interested in dropped by about two thousand dollars overnight.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2015, 7:04 pm 

Between_the_Lines said:
Quote:
I get the impression the Liberals are solidifying there lead. The close ones may fall to them. Lantz will have to swim upstream against a Liberal spring freshet in the City of Charlottetown.

How did you get this impression? There have been no poles. The people that I talk to have nothing good to say about the Liberals so I would be interested in knowing where the good news is coming from. They have changed the leader but the majority of the former MLAs are running again and to my knowledge the backroom boys are all the same. After two terms and lots of improprieties I think it's time for a change. I am frankly afraid of another four years of this crowd. Premier McLaughlin has already reneged on the Liberal promise to balance the budget next year. He has also made over $20 million worth of new promises so how on earth will he ever balance the budget???
Give your head a shake!!! You must be a Liberal hack

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2015, 7:14 pm 

kreskin wrote:
Blake McKinley wrote:
Section 125 of the Criminal Code of Canada.
Section 126 of the PEI Elections Act.

I'm not sure that I see the connection.

I read those and fail to see how they would make him an "illegal leader" as they have no connection to the process of being the leader of a political party.

Now, if you meant to say that, as a leader, he has committed illegal activities (bribed or accepted bribes as per your references), that is a pretty serious accusation. Can you back it up?

OK lets check the facts. Mr. McLaughlin wanted to run in his home riding. Mr. Vessey was the incumbent MLA for that riding. He then decides not to run again and low and behold he is the perfect candidate for a well paying job in the premier's office. Wow what an incredible coincidence. Would you agree that it is somewhat suspicious at least?

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2015, 8:32 pm 

Reggie The Shark wrote:
sentance wrote:
balkoth wrote:

I think the CPI is down because of the drop in oil and the stagnating housing market, not because local businesses are passing on the savings. I don't know of any local business that has lowered its prices. In fact, after the introduction of the HST, The Hair Shop raised its prices by 33% and said that it was because of the HST.

Oil prices dropping has helped further, but this was happening and had covered most of the blip up in the cost of living from the HST before oil prices started their plunge.
You don't need to see actual price cuts, although that may have happened here and there - clothing prices fell a good bit in that period for example. More generally prices haven't risen as quickly as elsewhere.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2015, 10:52 pm 
True Islander

Reggie The Shark wrote:
Between_the_Lines said:
Quote:

How did you get this impression? There have been no poles. The people that I talk to have nothing good to say about the Liberals so I would be interested in knowing where the good news is coming from. They have changed the leader but the majority of the former MLAs are running again and to my knowledge the backroom boys are all the same. After two terms and lots of improprieties I think it's time for a change. I am frankly afraid of another four years of this crowd. Premier McLaughlin has already reneged on the Liberal promise to balance the budget next year. He has also made over $20 million worth of new promises so how on earth will he ever balance the budget???

There has been one poll released by some company in BC. It gave the Liberals a healthy lead. I forget their name but it was based on some kind of online survey but the margin of error was better than what CRA typically reports.

As for Liberal spending promises, spending promises from the PC's would be at least as much, if not more, than what the Liberals have proposed so far.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 7:43 am 
Tourist

Reggie The Shark wrote:

And, judging by the above post, it would seem you may be a Tory hack.

As for your question as to how do I know Young is not being well received at the door, It's quite simple.

I've a lot of family, friends and business interests in the district, there is an election on, the talk is of the election. The vast majority of the above mentioned were not remotely impressed by the Conservative candidate.Questions posed to her were skirted about, and outrightly ignored.

Mcneily would clean this district if he was anything but a Newdemocrat.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 9:47 am 
Almost an Islander

Will you and your family be voting for McNeiley?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 6:10 pm 
Tourist

I am not a voter in this district.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 7:11 pm 
True Islander

screenname wrote:
Mcneily would clean this district if he was anything but a Newdemocrat.

This is what I hate about PEI politics. Good people aren't being elected simply because they don't belong to one of the two main parties.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 7:38 pm 
Almost an Islander

Gord had every opportunity to take the easier road and run for the Conservatives in this district. He would have had far more resources to work with for his campaign.

Instead, he took the route that is true to his core beliefs.

It would be a shame if he did not win this district. I think he would represent them exceptionally.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 8:50 pm 
Almost an Islander

Quote:

OK lets check the facts. Mr. McLaughlin wanted to run in his home riding. Mr. Vessey was the incumbent MLA for that riding. He then decides not to run again and low and behold he is the perfect candidate for a well paying job in the premier's office. Wow what an incredible coincidence. Would you agree that it is somewhat suspicious at least?

No more suspicious than demanding his wife get a job at Holland College for being passed up on cabinet a few years ago.

Profile E-mail