* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special steak & fries at outriders for $5.49 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ghiz,Sheridan,LeClair et. al.
PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 11:19 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

LostSole wrote:
These things happen in a banana republic all the time.How is the Island different i ask?

Exactly!

How is the Island different?

Anyone who has lived elsewhere off the Island realizes that these kinds of political shenanigans that border on the shady side of ethical/legal behaviour and waste taxpayer money happen in most provinces (and states).

Yes, it is great to get indignant about these shenanigans (it would be disappointing if people didn't get upset) but it is utterly naive to think that the Island is the only banana republic in North America.

You hear Islanders always complaining about how PEI is "behind the times", so I guess those same people could take solace in the fact that when it comes to shady politics, PEI has been able to catch up to the rest of North America :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 11:28 am 
Almost an Islander

I don't see anything wrong with the ethics commissioner investing in a secret company that would require gov approval and funding in order to be successful.

/s

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 12:49 pm 
Tourist

kreskin wrote:
LostSole wrote:
These things happen in a banana republic all the time.How is the Island different i ask?

Exactly!

Anyone who has lived elsewhere off the Island realizes that these kinds of political shenanigans that border on the shady side of ethical/legal behaviour and waste taxpayer money happen in most provinces (and states).

Yes, it is great to get indignant about these shenanigans (it would be disappointing if people didn't get upset) but it is utterly naive to think that the Island is the only banana republic in North America.

You hear Islanders always complaining about how PEI is "behind the times", so I guess those same people could take solace in the fact that when it comes to shady politics, PEI has been able to catch up to the rest of North America :lol:

Gee, I thought LostSole was being sarcastic. :lol: I've lived off island plenty and I certainly wouldn't consider most provinces and states to be banana republics. :lol:
At least not by this definition "Banana republic is a political science term for a politically unstable country, whose economy is largely dependent on exporting a limited-resource product, e.g. bananas. It typically has stratified social classes, including a large, impoverished working class and a ruling plutocracy of business, political, and military elites."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 5:05 pm 
True Islander

crowsbro2 wrote:
Exactly nothing there to find

Depends on how hard one looks and where.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 9:25 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Barramundi wrote:
kreskin wrote:
LostSole wrote:

Exactly!

Gee, I thought LostSole was being sarcastic. :lol: I've lived off island plenty and I certainly wouldn't consider most provinces and states to be banana republics. :lol:
At least not by this definition "Banana republic is a political science term for a politically unstable country, whose economy is largely dependent on exporting a limited-resource product, e.g. bananas. It typically has stratified social classes, including a large, impoverished working class and a ruling plutocracy of business, political, and military elites."

I'm quite aware of that :)

Which made me wonder why he was saying PEI was no different than a banana republic.

But if he was going to say that, I thought it pertinent to point out that he would have to say it about just about any government :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2015, 10:35 am 
Almost an Islander

Love it .... people are talking.

I smell an election .... keep talking ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 4th, 2015, 1:23 am 
From Away

The lies are the worst part. Sheridan said the gov't spent no money on e-gaming. Jenkins doesn't know how he became director of a company. Dow 'forgets' about 10K he invested. Nobody knows Maines. Ghiz suddenly wants to spend more time with his family. Some certain ministers follow suit. MacLauchlan parachutes in and takes over the finance portfolio. He might be the only salvation of the liberal party after their latest smash n' grab action.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 4th, 2015, 8:54 am 

Ricky Ricardo wrote:
The lies are the worst part. Sheridan said the gov't spent no money on e-gaming. Jenkins doesn't know how he became director of a company. Dow 'forgets' about 10K he invested. Nobody knows Maines. Ghiz suddenly wants to spend more time with his family. Some certain ministers follow suit. MacLauchlan parachutes in and takes over the finance portfolio. He might be the only salvation of the liberal party after their latest smash n' grab action.

Totally agree and and then followed by the "political protection".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 4th, 2015, 5:55 pm 
True Islander

This thing is snowballing.3 days in the Globe&Mail and a lot more to come from what i am hearing.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2015, 4:46 pm 

LostSole wrote:
This thing is snowballing.3 days in the Globe&Mail and a lot more to come from what i am hearing.

The part that bothers me about this whole sham is that if the Globe&Mail didn't print these articles then would the new Premier still have taken the action he's taking now? These activities have been going on for some time now and even written about locally and not a word from anyone and now we have calls for inquiries, investigations and AG involvements. One could only imagine how deep and dirty this government went and it only sheds some more light on how the PNP got out of hand.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 5th, 2015, 5:11 pm 
Almost an Islander

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/News/Local ... ing-link/1
I wish I had $15k to invest in a company that I don't know what it is doing. All in the hopes that it makes money later on and will not require any government approval or funding.

But oh wait $1 million of gov funds was used and would require gov approval to go ahead, but apparently there was never any conflict of interest of gov officials investing in the companys.
When companys own companys that get their names changed etc it gets messy.
Liberals trying to sweep it under the rug.

I wonder how many other businesses that require gov approval/funding that gov officials invest in then get rich off because of gov backing.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2015, 6:29 pm 
True Islander

Gardiner wrote:
LostSole wrote:

The part that bothers me about this whole sham is that if the Globe&Mail didn't print these articles then would the new Premier still have taken the action he's taking now? These activities have been going on for some time now and even written about locally and not a word from anyone and now we have calls for inquiries, investigations and AG involvements. One could only imagine how deep and dirty this government went and it only sheds some more light on how the PNP got out of hand.

Well there was not too much mention of it before the Globe&Mail released it article.A few articles in the Guardian about e-gaming were released but they did not have the same information as the Globe&Mail did.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/News/Local ... gambling/1

This headline in the Guardian was "How Prince Edward Island almost made millions from Internet gambling".

This gives me the impression (from the title) that there was money made and not lost.

So since there was not too many hard questions asked about this e-gaming file, i believe some were hoping this would all disappear in time.
But now that The Globe&Mail has release the 3 articles and more to come (as i hear) it has shined a light on it and questions are being ask and answers are being demanded.So i think Wade is in damage control and trying to get a handle on this to try to control it before it get out of hand.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2015, 6:55 pm 
Almost an Islander

Gardiner wrote:
LostSole wrote:

One can only imagine how much paper shredding and email deleting is going on at this very moment.
Curious if the reason Wade took on the finance portfolio was so that no one else would get their eyes on it before an election.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 5th, 2015, 8:45 pm 

Blake McKinley wrote:
Gardiner wrote:
LostSole wrote:

One can only imagine how much paper shredding and email deleting is going on at this very moment.
Curious if the reason Wade took on the finance portfolio was so that no one else would get their eyes on it before an election.

Even P.E.I's Conflict of Interest Commissioner Neil Robinson has his hand in that cookie jar....only in PEI and no wonder the new Premier wanted to take over that file.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 5th, 2015, 10:01 pm 
True Islander

Blake McKinley wrote:
Gardiner wrote:
LostSole wrote:

The real problems for the people involved is all their explanations of being involved have to tie together.Now with 36 or 38 people this might be tricky.
Even with Mr.Robinson explanation of his investment leave one to believe no one asked him about their own investment in this e-gaming file or Mr.Robinson would have known about government involvement with this company.So now the rest of the investors have to stick to the same story or make Mr.Robinson explanation look false.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2015, 8:34 pm 
Almost an Islander

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-ed ... -1.2985351
Quote:
Confederacy officials say the money, received in increments, went to McInnes Cooper to cover legal fees and professional service expenses.

They note no funds were used for normal MCPEI activities.

Umm, so the gov gave the natives $1 million, and apparently all of that money went straight to McInnes Cooper. Another scam just like when the lawyers and accountants got rich off pnp and took that money out of the country so they couldn't get taxed.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 12:09 pm 

Given the amount of clean up process attempts(or the appearance of) that have been put in place since Ghiz stepped down, isn't it safe to say that this has been one of the worse governments we've ever had in power?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 2:35 pm 

Gardiner wrote:
Given the amount of clean up process attempts(or the appearance of) that have been put in place since Ghiz stepped down, isn't it safe to say that this has been one of the worse governments we've ever had in power?

or nobody has bothered to attempt any clean up before....

PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 3:50 pm 
Almost an Islander

alandla wrote:
Gardiner wrote:

Name another time when a premier, or at least a pretend premier, ever got rid of so many sitting elected MLAs and people appointed by his own party without any explanation of why?

Why was Brooke MacMillan fired? He obviously was doing something very very wrong and if he was then the people who pay his salary deserve to know what.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 4:11 pm 

Blake McKinley wrote:
alandla wrote:
Gardiner wrote:

Name another time when a premier, or at least a pretend premier, ever got rid of so many sitting elected MLAs and people appointed by his own party without any explanation of why?

Why was Brooke MacMillan fired? He obviously was doing something very very wrong and if he was then the people who pay his salary deserve to know what.

I can't.

His question was "...isn't it safe to say that this has been one of the worse governments we've ever had in power?" and I offered a possible explanation as to why it isn't safe to say :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next