Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Saturday Steak Special at Fireman's Club for $5.75 [Remind Me]

Lunch Steak Special at Ch'town Curling Club for $10.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special steak & fries at outriders for $5.49 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Ghiz,Sheridan,LeClair et. al.
PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 12:03 am 
Almost an Islander

All of these people and everyone else involved should be going from retirement to jail time for stealing 1 million dollars from the PEI tax payers and for insider trading.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... e23237214/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ghiz,Sheridan,LeClair et. al.
PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 9:27 am 
Tourist

YES. Please send this Globe & Mail article to everyone you know. It's about time that this all became public knowledge.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 10:42 am 

Wow, quite a story and a lot details. I found this comment very interesting.

All the same players from the ex-premier on down who were movers and shakers in the $500 million PNP scandal of 2008. Guess they needed more loot. Quite unusual that the local media ignored this story except for one blogger RedLikeMe and the Globe. That is what happens when almost every one is in on the deals.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 11:28 am 
Tourist

In light of the facts revealed by the Globe and Mail, this article -- which appeared in the Charlottetown Guardian on November 28, 2014 -- is well worth recalling (the comments are also excellent):
http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/News/Local ... tigation/1

Another pertinent story appeared on the CBC website on February 12, 2015:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-ed ... -1.2955627

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 3:49 pm 

I will be honest I have a hard time figuring out the point of the entire article and why I should be concerned?

Is it just because the liberals did something and I should hate them for it?

Is it because they explored how to do something that is illegal, legally?

Should I be mad because a bunch of folks 'in the know' got to invest in something that ended up not panning out but they still got their money back plus 12% interest?

Is it the minor securities violation?

Is it because local investors got protective of their turf and fed the rumor mill and gossip and how played a big part in killing a potential financial hub?

Is it the potential conflict of interest for a few of the parties?

The money 'loaned' to the band to explore the idea?

The article was long in facts, but really short in summing it up to something I should be concerned about. Not saying I shouldnt be, I just cant put my finger on why I should be after reading the article.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 4:25 pm 
Almost an Islander

You should be concerned that your government did all of this over a period of years without ever consulting the public.

That they diverted 1 million dollars of tax payer's money predicated on this illegal venture becoming legal. One million dollars that will never be returned to the public coffers.

That the lied about government involvement in the gambling portfolio.

That, even though the entire thing was kept from the public, friends of the top ranked liberals were given inside information and opportunities that could have greatly increased their wealth if the whole project worked out while at the same time excluding 99.99% of tax paying Islanders from the same opportunity.

That the so called ethics commissioner of PEI wouldn't know what ethics were if they came up and slapped him in the face.

That the Premier's chief of staff set up a numbered company using his wife's maiden name so he could avoid the appearance of conflict of interest.

If these things are not cause for concern for even strong Liberal supporters then I fear for this Island.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 6:41 pm 
Almost an Islander

I can't wait to hear about when the loan given to Cavendish music festival goes under and taxpayers lose money. If it's such a great idea and success why couldn't a bank have given them a loan?

Polar Foods was a great idea as well. Michael Jackson concert >$1 million Alanis Morrissette concert east of ch'town for $100,000
Government loves handing out money.

The Cavendish thing has been successful apparently, but what happens when it eventually flops or stops? Does the gov still get it's outstanding loan paid back in full? Will the land be sold and proceeds pay off the loan?
current loan is $1.8 million

I'm sure the residents of first nation that received the $1million are happy to have made $2k per person for doing nothing.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 8:20 pm 

Blake McKinley wrote:
You should be concerned that your government did all of this over a period of years without ever consulting the public.

That they diverted 1 million dollars of tax payer's money predicated on this illegal venture becoming legal. One million dollars that will never be returned to the public coffers.

That, even though the entire thing was kept from the public, friends of the top ranked liberals were given inside information and opportunities that could have greatly increased their wealth if the whole project worked out while at the same time excluding 99.99% of tax paying Islanders from the same opportunity.

That the so called ethics commissioner of PEI wouldn't know what ethics were if they came up and slapped him in the face.

That the Premier's chief of staff set up a numbered company using his wife's maiden name so he could avoid the appearance of conflict of interest.

If these things are not cause for concern for even strong Liberal supporters then I fear for this Island.

Government deals with many issues and ideas every day that are never brought to the public's attention and in the big scheme of thing over that many years, $1 mil is not a lot of money.

Investment opportunities come along to all of us here and there, generally most of us just cannot afford to capitalize on them. I would expect the business elite on PEI get those kinds of opportunities from time to time, how is this one different? From the haphazard description of how folks got involved it seemed more about connections than partisanship.

I do agree on the ethics commissioner and chief of staff should be investigated for conflict of interest.

I guess I just do not see the sky falling.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 8:30 pm 
Almost an Islander

If I had 10,000 to just toss willy-nilly into an investment, even a sound one, I wouldn't have a need to make more money. I would already have riches beyond my greatest needs and most desires.

- Jesus of Nazareth, Matt. 26:52

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 10:02 pm 
True Islander

These things happen in a banana republic all the time.How is the Island different i ask?

PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 11:25 pm 

Culland wrote:
I will be honest I have a hard time figuring out the point of the entire article and why I should be concerned?

Is it just because the liberals did something and I should hate them for it?

Is it because they explored how to do something that is illegal, legally?

Should I be mad because a bunch of folks 'in the know' got to invest in something that ended up not panning out but they still got their money back plus 12% interest?

Is it the minor securities violation?

Is it because local investors got protective of their turf and fed the rumor mill and gossip and how played a big part in killing a potential financial hub?

Is it the potential conflict of interest for a few of the parties?

The money 'loaned' to the band to explore the idea?

The article was long in facts, but really short in summing it up to something I should be concerned about. Not saying I shouldn't be, I just cant put my finger on why I should be after reading the article.

Thank you, you pretty much summed exactly how I felt after reading the article.

If there was an ethics breach then by all means, it should be looked at, but everything else just left me wondering what is the real issue here.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 11:28 pm 

Blake McKinley wrote:

Why would you bother electing a gov't if you want to micromanage everything.

Of course then I would be wanting you to run it past me, and then I vet it past someone else.......until the opportunity has long passed??

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 7:44 am 

I think the globe and Mail needed to fill some empty space. There's no story here. Basically a business deal that didn't come to be. Happens every day. Why do many of you automatically assume if someone has a numbered company they're trying to hide something??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 8:19 am 
Tourist

crowsbro2 wrote:
I think the globe and Mail needed to fill some empty space. There's no story here. Basically a business deal that didn't come to be. Happens every day. Why do many of you automatically assume if someone has a numbered company they're trying to hide something??

So, you think every day our provincial government uses taxpayer dollars in an attempt to involve itself in illegal activity? "the plan was illegal – and had elsewhere been used by the Mafia."
And, every day, our provincial government while attempting such illegal activity loses close to a million dollars and lies about it?
WOW!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 8:51 am 

crowsbro2 wrote:

Oh there's a story here, but like a lot of political crime in this tiny province it well contained because of the movers and shakers involved.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 9:21 am 
True Islander

crowsbro2 wrote:

PEI has legislation governing conflict of interest for elected officials as well as cabinet ministers, but there’s nothing that covers the behaviour of political staff, explained conflict of interest commissioner Neil Robinson – who was also one of CMT’s investors. Mr. Robinson gave $15,000 to the company in August, 2012. (There is no suggestion he was involved in any of the negotiations.)

The real story here is connect the dots from all the information that has been released about this file and one can clearly see what is happening.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 10:03 am 

Please continue

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 10:09 am 
True Islander

crowsbro2 wrote:
Please continue

Seek and you shall find.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 10:23 am 

Exactly nothing there to find

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 10:28 am 
Almost an Islander

Gardiner wrote:
crowsbro2 wrote:

Oh there's a story here, but like a lot of political crime in this tiny province it well contained because of the movers and shakers involved.

The movers are shakers are only a very small part of the problem.
Political blindness and the willingness to accept anything a political party does as long as they are wearing the right color tie is the real problem.
Too many Islanders are complacent and willing to go along with "the other party did it" mentality. That is the problem and that is why PEI is over 2 billion dollars in debt.
When people are in the mind set that, oh well it's only a million dollars, then nothing will ever improve on this Island.

Until people start holding their own party accountable instead of just complaining about what the others are doing then nothing will ever improve on this Island.

Profile E-mail