Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Taco Bar at Chartwells UPEI for $4.99 [Remind Me]

Supper Martini Mondays at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $5.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Monday Lunch Special at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.80 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hello Everyone! Seeking some guidance
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2015, 1:20 pm 
Newly Created Account

My names Layni and both my husband and myself are from Ontario but have spent our vacations in PEI for years and years. We fell in love with your island and the hospitality that comes so naturally to most islanders from day one. We have been dreaming of making PEI our retirement home for a long long time. Well folks the dream is becomming a reality. We are in the process of buying a home in Murray harbour now but won't officially be able to become residents for another two years. We are by no means wealthy, we are simple, friendly nature loving outdoorsy type but this opportunity feels like we can't pass it up. Our intention is to rent out the homes on our property as vacation rentals in the hopes that it will at least pay for itself. Ok so now you know a bit about us, I feel it's ok to ask for some guidance regarding some issues our home inspection found. Most pressing is the main home (which is over 100 years old) has upstairs windows that cannot accommodate someone having to escape safely in case of a fire. I need at least one on either side replaced if not all four. Any recommendations for a good window installation company over there? Second is that signs of rodent presence was found in old house and granny suite. Anyone recommend a good exterminator? And does anyone know a good general handyman who can switch our breaker switches, repair small issues, etc.?! Its so difficult being away and even more perplexing coming from away as I don't know anyone! I need someone who isn't overpriced but does good honest work! Thanks so much for your help and I look forward to getting to know some islanders through this board! All the best to everyone

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hello Everyone! Seeking some guidance
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2015, 6:38 pm 
Almost an Islander

100 year old house will probably always get rodents (mice). So it's not as simple as exterminator gets rid of them as more will move in by the fall. Can try various things such as filling in holes etc, but if something like a squirrel they will chew their way in easy.
But yah, definitely try to eliminate them but it is an ongoing process (leave traps set all the time).

Be careful in the rental industry, someone could trash house etc.
Also if you're not in/near PEI, you'll need someone to take care of the property/renters etc. Government wants to get inspections/fees. If management company they'd want their cut as well. Pay someone to take care of lawn and other general problems etc. Be careful of property management people, I know of 1 that didn't pay the owners (and this is for a rental house that would charge $5k per week).
Just thinking of other properties I know of and stuff they go through.

Sorry. Don't know any recommendations as I'm not from that area.

Post subject: Re: Hello Everyone! Seeking some guidance
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2015, 10:59 am 
Newly Created Account

Thanks for your insights balkoth, I will strongly consider your warnings. I have done allot of research, and I have picked JC property management on the island. They are a family run business and know this will one day be my forever home. They also seem to provide the most services for my buck. I also visit the island twice a year and the current owners who are the most amazing people will live three doors down and are very willing to keep a watchful eye! Thanks for taking the time to reply

Profile E-mail