* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: I need your advice and help
PostPosted: March 1st, 2014, 8:47 pm 
Newly Created Account

Hi,
Greetings from Ottawa, last year I visited Charlottetown twice and fell in love with the place and the kind ppl over there, I'm offered a job in Charlotte town,
I'm married and have three beautiful kids who are perfectly bilingual.
- where the best places for families to live in Charlottetown?
- is there good city subsidized activities for kids? Links plz?
- I found one french school, is it good?
- I found income taxes are higher than Ontario, how about cost of living?
- is winter as harsh as Ottawa?
Thank you my friends and I look forward to make a change in pei and creat new jobs for the local community.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: I need your advice and help
PostPosted: March 1st, 2014, 9:00 pm 
True Islander

If money is not an object, Brighton is the most expensive neighbourhood in Charlottetown.

House prices would be a lot cheaper than Ottawa. Electricity would be higher here. Cable, internet and cell phones I'm guessing are more expensive here as well. Heating your house is likely more expensive too as we don't have natural gas.

I think winter's here are better than in Ottawa as it's not as cold here.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2014, 9:44 pm 
Newly Created Account

Thank you for your reply, I was under the impression that cost of living was less.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2014, 11:26 am 

We had a very similar situation. My family is from here but we lived near Ottawa for about 10 years before moving to PEI about 3 years OK.

Per your questions:

- Charlottetown is not very large... about 30,000 people so fussing over the exact neighborhood to live in isn't as important as it would be in a big city.
- The Charlottetown area is great for activities for children. Dancing, music, sports, you name it. I found in Ottawa that nearly every activity was quite expensive... here I'm always amazed about the great programs that have little to no cost. As an example I had my 7 year old daughter in a volleyball program run by the UPEI women's coach recently... cost was $20 for 3 months and they had varsity players there every week.
- Not sure about french only schools but my kids are in a french-immersion program at Westwood Elementary in Cornwall... the school is fantastic.
- Taxes on PEI are quite ridiculous. If you lived right in Ottawa then your property taxes will be significantly less. Depends in what you include in your cost of living. The big benefit here is that depending on where you live you can get significantly more house as compared to Ottawa. That's the big benefit which if you were going to be carrying a significant mortgage can amount to huge savings. Hard goods, cars, electronics, whatever... you'll not notice any real difference. Services, I find you can save a fortune if you know what you are doing and ask around. All in all, even with the higher taxes and higher hydro costs I find the cost of living to be a bit less here.
- Winter here is much milder than it is in Ottawa but it will take a while for you to get used to the blowing snow and travelling on the roads. There is much less traffic here so even a small amount of blowing snow can make driving a bit treacherous.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2014, 11:39 am 
Newly Created Account

The cost of living is not as inexpensive as it should be, especially in Charlottetown, but it will definitely be less than Ottawa.

I moved back here from Strathroy Ontario in 2008. Houses in town are equivalent to what you'd pay in the Strathroy/London area but the wages that I make are about 45% less. Groceries, Gasoline and heating costs are all more than Ontario. What I paid for natural gas in Ontario for the year is about what I paid for in oil January and February here.

If you are willing to drive 30 minutes or more from town then you will start to see great deals on property.

As much as I love being home I know I won't be able to stay for more than a few more years. Wages and prices will drive me away again, just as they have for almost everyone I grew up with.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2014, 4:29 pm 
True Islander

Avillon wrote:
Thank you for your reply, I was under the impression that cost of living was less.

It's not. You will be paying as much or more for everything other than house price.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2014, 5:51 pm 
Newly Created Account

thank you for the info, how are ppl coping with the exopesive cost of living and high income taxes?
i heard jobs are also hard to find and wages are not high

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2014, 5:57 pm 

Avillon wrote:
thank you for the info, how are ppl coping with the exopesive cost of living and high income taxes?

Most families have husbands working in Alberta to make ends meet as most jobs are seasonal.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2014, 6:06 pm 
True Islander

Avillon wrote:

People are coping less well all of the time.
In fact the government just announced yet another new tax on the people today in the guise of public safety. Higher fees for restaurant inspections and licenses.
That type of fee increase on top of the HST and the hidden 3.5% new tax on small business just prior to HST is causing prices to skyrocket in many industries.

You will find no bargains here. Wages are incredibly low and cost of living has increased greatly in the last 7 years. Plus we are the ONLY province in Canada that has not adjusted the personal tax deduction to stay in line with inflation. And our finance minister says he will not make any attempt to do that.

He claims all of the tax hikes and fee hikes are to keep us in lline with other provinces but in reality they have all been adjusted to be higher than most provinces at the same time he refuses to adjust the personal exemption rate to be in line with other provinces.

Never thought I would say this but our current government leaves me no choice. If you want to make a better life for yourself then this is not the place to be. Far better options out there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2014, 7:25 pm 
True Islander

Nomie wrote:
Avillon wrote:

Most families have husbands working in Alberta to make ends meet as most jobs are seasonal.

Most families don't have husbands working in Alberta.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2014, 9:58 pm 
Almost an Islander

Exactly !

And those that do, may work seasonal in the fishery. I personally know a couple of fisherman that go out west, not because they have to, but as stupid as this sounds "to keep up with the Jones"

I call it "Big Truck Syndrome"

Some of the posts in thread are ridiculous your're making us sound like some 3rd world country ...

Wages may not be what they are in some of the countries bigger city's and that's a given.

I'm a professional, as is my wife.

We don't live mortgage poor, we drive 2 vehicles, have recreational toys, take regular family vacations, kids play hockey, baseball, golf, soccer. Cupboards and fridge have groceries, We eat out a couple of times a month, buy Tim's coffee.

Gheeze not sure how much better it needs to be.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2014, 10:17 pm 
True Islander

Bravo for you.
To bad that is not the case for the majority of Islanders.
Your "big truck syndrome" is a figment of your imagination.
No. The majority of husbands are not working out West. And no, people are not working out West to supplement their income so they can have a better truck. They are working out West to feed their families and pay a mortgage. Something that is becoming harder and harder to do on PEI.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2014, 10:22 pm 
Almost an Islander

Raiders wrote:
Bravo for you.
To bad that is not the case for the majority of Islanders.
Your "big truck syndrome" is a figment of your imagination.
No. The majority of husbands are not working out West. And no, people are not working out West to supplement their income so they can have a better truck. They are working out West to feed their families and pay a mortgage. Something that is becoming harder and harder to do on PEI.

Thanks, that's what being brought up well, setting goals and achieving them does.

Weird though ... it's the same throughout our network of friends and our neighborhood.

No figment ... take run down through Murray Harbor, the big 60K Dodge's and Ford's with Alberta plates belong to the fisherman, who will return home to fish their fleets in the spring.

Yes, I'm sure there are some guys out west sending money home to make ends meet .... Just not everyone

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2014, 10:27 pm 

Quote:
Avillon wrote:

Actually, Avillon, some employers are experiencing a skilled labor shortage and are turning to temporary foreign workers and immigrants to fill their needs.

Many of those complaining about difficulty finding jobs aren't willing to graduate high school, or learn a trade or other skill. Others have had a poor record of punctuality and reliability, or have difficulty maintaining a presentable appearance.

An increasing number of people have lost sight of the true definition of the terms 'work' and 'job'. A job is 'what needs to be done' in a given area or community. It can't always be fun and highly paid, especially at the beginning of one's career.
The idea of starting at the bottom, 'working up', while making oneself indispensable to one's employer seems to be an outdated idea.

Ed

Former UPEI president tells information session some employers already having problems
Nigel Armstrong
January 17, 2013

Martin Marcoux, left, president of RDÉE Prince Edward Island, welcomes the two main guest speakers at Monday’s information session on hiring immigrants, Lori-Ann Cyr, executive director of Diversis Inc., and Wade MacLauchlan, businessman and former president of UPEI.

As the Island workforce continues to diminish, the province has no choice but to immediately turn towards immigration to compensate for a skilled worker shortage if it wishes to maintain its current level of services, says former UPEI president Wade MacLauchlan.

During an information session about the LIENS immigrant integration program Monday in Charlottetown, MacLauchlan and other speakers offered striking statistics and statements that opened the eyes of several of the more than 40 participants.

The province is expecting the loss of 40 per cent of its workforce within the next 40 years, mostly because of declining birth rates, the increasing mortality rate of the aging population and the out-migration of Islanders to other parts of the country.

The effects are already being felt. In fact, some employers say they are facing a shortage of skilled workers since they’re having a hard time recruiting employees who are qualified for their specialized positions.

The speakers noted that 40 per cent of Islanders haven’t acquired a level of literacy or numeracy to allow them to complete their high school studies.

In his speech entitled Demographics and Destiny: A Challenge for P.E.I., MacLauchlan said the Island should follow the example of Manitoba, which developed its own immigration strategy.

That province has been able to retain 85 per cent of its immigrants, which is much higher than the results attained by all other provinces.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/News/Local ... Lauchlan/1

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2014, 10:38 pm 
True Islander

Ex-racer wrote:
Quote:
Avillon wrote:

Actually, Avillon, some employers are experiencing a skilled labor shortage and are turning to temporary foreign workers and immigrants to fill their needs.

Many of those complaining about difficulty finding jobs aren't willing to graduate high school, or learn a trade or other skill. Others have had a poor record of punctuality and reliability, or have difficulty maintaining a presentable appearance.

An increasing number of people have lost sight of the true definition of the terms 'work' and 'job'. A job is 'what needs to be done' in a given area or community. It can't always be fun and highly paid, especially at the beginning of one's career.
The idea of starting at the bottom, 'working up', while making oneself indispensable to one's employer seems to be an outdated idea.

Ed

Former UPEI president tells information session some employers already having problems
Nigel Armstrong
January 17, 2013

Martin Marcoux, left, president of RDÉE Prince Edward Island, welcomes the two main guest speakers at Monday’s information session on hiring immigrants, Lori-Ann Cyr, executive director of Diversis Inc., and Wade MacLauchlan, businessman and former president of UPEI.

As the Island workforce continues to diminish, the province has no choice but to immediately turn towards immigration to compensate for a skilled worker shortage if it wishes to maintain its current level of services, says former UPEI president Wade MacLauchlan.

During an information session about the LIENS immigrant integration program Monday in Charlottetown, MacLauchlan and other speakers offered striking statistics and statements that opened the eyes of several of the more than 40 participants.

The province is expecting the loss of 40 per cent of its workforce within the next 40 years, mostly because of declining birth rates, the increasing mortality rate of the aging population and the out-migration of Islanders to other parts of the country.

The effects are already being felt. In fact, some employers say they are facing a shortage of skilled workers since they’re having a hard time recruiting employees who are qualified for their specialized positions.

The speakers noted that 40 per cent of Islanders haven’t acquired a level of literacy or numeracy to allow them to complete their high school studies.

In his speech entitled Demographics and Destiny: A Challenge for P.E.I., MacLauchlan said the Island should follow the example of Manitoba, which developed its own immigration strategy.

That province has been able to retain 85 per cent of its immigrants, which is much higher than the results attained by all other provinces.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/News/Local ... Lauchlan/1

This is the important statement in the whole story-
As the Island workforce continues to diminish.
Now ask yourself Why?
One simple answer-money.
A decent paid position will be filled no problem.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2014, 11:25 pm 

LostSole wrote:
...........This is the important statement in the whole story-
As the Island workforce continues to diminish.
Now ask yourself Why?
One simple answer-money.
A decent paid position will be filled no problem.

Ah, money. :) Just as important as the amount of money earned, in my opinion, is how it is managed. There are people who would be 'in crisis' no matter how much money they made.

Now that I'm retired after being employed from age 16 to 66, and I don't need it any longer, :D I'm willing to divulge my secrets for continuous employment:-

* Develop a skill that other people need, and
* Make yourself indispensable to your employer.

Ed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 4th, 2014, 8:17 am 

TRX wrote:

Exactly !

And those that do, may work seasonal in the fishery. I personally know a couple of fisherman that go out west, not because they have to, but as stupid as this sounds "to keep up with the Jones"

I call it "Big Truck Syndrome"

Some of the posts in thread are ridiculous your're making us sound like some 3rd world country ...

Wages may not be what they are in some of the countries bigger city's and that's a given.

I'm a professional, as is my wife.

We don't live mortgage poor, we drive 2 vehicles, have recreational toys, take regular family vacations, kids play hockey, baseball, golf, soccer. Cupboards and fridge have groceries, We eat out a couple of times a month, buy Tim's coffee.

Gheeze not sure how much better it needs to be.

I did say seasonally. And I should've clarified and said most rural families have fathers/husband's who work in out west seasonally to make ends meet. Not all seasonal workers own their own fishing gear.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 4th, 2014, 9:10 am 

I suggest you look at Statistics Canada for cost of living comparisons. If you included all your expenses, Charlottetown would be cheaper than Ottawa.

Here are comparisons between Ontario and PEI.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/famil130c-eng.htm

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/famil130g-eng.htm

Also don't view everyones opinion as gospel on this board (including mine). You are reaching a very very small sample group talking to people here.

As for you questions;
- where the best places for families to live in Charlottetown?
-West Royalty, Brighton, Stratford would be my picks.

- is there good city subsidized activities for kids? Links plz?
-lots of stuff for kids. But I don't have any links. Check the City of Charlottetown website.

- I found one french school, is it good?
-I think there is 1 complete french School in the area (École François-Buote grades 1-12). Most schools have French Immersion programs.

- I found income taxes are higher than Ontario, how about cost of living?
- Refer to Stats Can.

- is winter as harsh as Ottawa?
- I think winter is a little less harsh than Ottawa. We do have a Maritime climate however, where things can change in a matter of hours.

Hoping you can call Charlottetown your new home in the near future !!

PostPosted: March 4th, 2014, 5:37 pm 
Newly Created Account

Thank you all, a lot of informative responces, you guys care and thats what matters to me, i hope ican get the offer i wont and move to charlottetwon, if i move i will be able to grow a local business and creat new job apporttunities and bring more money to the local community, AND thats why im motivated to live there cause i'll make a change (no big) but it will help.
P.S; sorry for the miss-spelling:)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 5th, 2014, 8:20 am 

Avillon wrote:
Thank you all, a lot of informative responces, you guys care and thats what matters to me, i hope ican get the offer i wont and move to charlottetwon, if i move i will be able to grow a local business and creat new job apporttunities and bring more money to the local community, AND thats why im motivated to live there cause i'll make a change (no big) but it will help.
P.S; sorry for the miss-spelling:)

We need more people like you. Entrepreneurs can make a huge difference in the economy, no matter how big or small the business will be. We look forward to having you!

Profile E-mail