* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Bacon & Clam Chowder at Casa Mia Cafe for $4.95 [Remind Me]

Lunch The Great Canadian Hand Carved Sandwich at Chartwells UPEI for $5.99 [Remind Me]

Lunch Chicken wings & Chips at Casa Mia Cafe for $9.95 [Remind Me]

Supper WING NIGHT!!! at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $0.35 [Remind Me]

Supper Endless Baby Back Ribs at Hunter's Ale House for $22.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Beef Pot Pie or Veggie Pot Pie at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.10 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Moving to PEI
PostPosted: January 14th, 2014, 1:54 pm 
Newly Created Account

Hi there everyone, I am a Northern Ontario native(cold, remote wilderness area, NOT Toronto, haha) looking to move to Charlottetown for a variety of reasons. It's frigid here(-45 degrees), high crime(Thunder Bay is the murder capital of Canada) and I just would like a change and Charlottetown seems awesome but I had a few questions that I would love some input on.

1) Job market here is pretty crappy, I had a hard time even getting hired at a grocery store, in Charlottetown any better job-wise?

2) Is it safe? Low crime? Good neighbourhoods vs bad neighbourgoods?(Still apartment-hunting so open to suggestions neighbourhood-wise)

3) Temperature! Obviously its going to be a lot warmer, but whats a typical summer day and what's a typical winter day?

Thank you everyone for your input and I look forward to seeing responses. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Moving to PEI
PostPosted: January 14th, 2014, 2:41 pm 

funkadelicfred wrote:
Hi there everyone, I am a Northern Ontario native(cold, remote wilderness area, NOT Toronto, haha) looking to move to Charlottetown for a variety of reasons. It's frigid here(-45 degrees), high crime(Thunder Bay is the murder capital of Canada) and I just would like a change and Charlottetown seems awesome but I had a few questions that I would love some input on.

1) Job market here is pretty crappy, I had a hard time even getting hired at a grocery store, in Charlottetown any better job-wise?

2) Is it safe? Low crime? Good neighbourhoods vs bad neighbourgoods?(Still apartment-hunting so open to suggestions neighbourhood-wise)

3) Temperature! Obviously its going to be a lot warmer, but whats a typical summer day and what's a typical winter day?

Thank you everyone for your input and I look forward to seeing responses. :)

Job market depends on your marketable skills. Most work is seasonal work. http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/rch-eng.aspx?ProvId=04 This link is to the job bank for PEI to give you an idea of current available jobs.

Its safe, except for a rise in prescription pill abuse. There's only been one or two murders in the last ten years, one was drug related another was a girl on a trail by someone she knew. Someone will correct me on this quick enough if there has been more, but those are the only two I can think of.

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?StationID=50621&timeframe=2&Year=2013&Month=8&cmdB1=Go# This link shows the average temperatures in August of last year. You can change the months to see the average temps in other months of the year as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 14th, 2014, 6:47 pm 
True Islander

Nomie wrote:
Job market depends on your marketable skills. Most work is seasonal work. http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/rch-eng.aspx?ProvId=04 This link is to the job bank for PEI to give you an idea of current available jobs.

I wouldn't say most work in Charlottetown is seasonal. And it seems the job bank consists mainly of either entry level jobs, or jobs where employers can't find workers locally. I'd look at other websites such as http://ca.indeed.com/jobs-in-Prince-Edward-Island and those listed at this site: http://www.opportunitiespei.ca/working-finding

And yes, Charlottetown is safe. Property crime is the biggest concern in terms of crime but unless you are involved in the drug trade, I wouldn't worry too much about it. As for good neighbourhoods, Sherwood is a safe bet.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2014, 2:45 am 
Newly Created Account

I am looking at a place on Dorchester Street near the waterfront, is that a nice area and what is it like?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 15th, 2014, 7:34 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

funkadelicfred wrote:
I am looking at a place on Dorchester Street near the waterfront, is that a nice area and what is it like?

Dorchester St. is a pretty mixed bag. You'll find drug dealers, recent immigrants, blue collar workers, middle class types and multi-millionnaires living on that street. It used to be a pretty rundown part of town but it is enjoying a bit of a rejuvenation with the recent influx of immigrants investing in properties in the area and fixing them up nicely. What Dorchester St. has going for it mostly is its location ... close to a vibrant downtown night scene, and close to public transit. If you are single or a young couple, this would be a good first stop in Charlottetown until you get the "lay of the land" and find an area more to your liking (or closer to where you end up finding work).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 15th, 2014, 7:44 am 
Almost an Islander

I wouldn't say that Dorchester is a bad area. There appear to be some renovated buildings but from what I recall there are some fairly old ones in need of repair, too.

It depends on what you're looking for and how well you tolerate night time noise :lol: There are a lot of restaurants and bars in the downtown area and so there will be foot traffic, car doors slamming, drunk people stumbling home, etc. If you want to be close to the restaurants and bars, Dorchester or anywhere in the downtown area would be a good pick but if you'd prefer a more residential/family neighborhood I'd suggest looking farther away from the downtown/waterfront area.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 16th, 2014, 8:46 am 

craiger wrote:
I wouldn't say most work in Charlottetown is seasonal.

I was talking PEI, not Charlottetown. There is more to PEI than just Charlottetown.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 16th, 2014, 9:24 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Nomie wrote:
craiger wrote:

I was talking PEI, not Charlottetown. There is more to PEI than just Charlottetown.

funkadelicfred wrote:
looking to move to Charlottetown

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 16th, 2014, 10:07 am 

kreskin wrote:
Nomie wrote:
craiger wrote:

funkadelicfred wrote:

Topic was Moving to PEI. There are jobs outside of Charlottetown even if living in Charlottetown that one can drive to.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 16th, 2014, 10:52 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Nomie wrote:
kreskin wrote:
Nomie wrote:
craiger wrote:

funkadelicfred wrote:

Topic was Moving to PEI. There are jobs outside of Charlottetown even if living in Charlottetown that one can drive to.

funkadelicfred wrote:
is Charlottetown any better job-wise?

I think that Craiger was simply pointing out that your observation is less true in Charlottetown specifically, Charlottetown being the focus of the OP's actual posting (despite the thread title).

You both are making valid observations. No need for dispute :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 16th, 2014, 11:18 am 

kreskin wrote:

Which is kind of my point. There was no need to make a point of it in the first place.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 16th, 2014, 11:27 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Nomie wrote:
kreskin wrote:

Which is kind of my point. There was no need to make a point of it in the first place.

And if you had stopped at "I was talking PEI, not Charlottetown", I probably wouldn't have :)

Just me being my pedantic self :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 18th, 2014, 1:16 am 
Newly Created Account

Thank you everyone for the input even though the last 5 or so entries were unbelievably off-topic but thank you. One more thing, I hear the PEI people tend to be very "clicky" due to many of them growing up there with big families so everyone knows each other and kind of have their set group of friends and such. Is this true? I know you probably wouldn't want to call yourself as such but try to be unbiased.
Also, the place I am looking at is Dorchester Street right by the Hillsborough Square, can anyone give me a quick lowdown of the area? Would be much appreciated.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 18th, 2014, 8:19 am 
True Islander

funkadelicfred wrote:
One more thing, I hear the PEI people tend to be very "clicky" due to many of them growing up there with big families so everyone knows each other and kind of have their set group of friends and such. Is this true? I know you probably wouldn't want to call yourself as such but try to be unbiased.

Some people still view "people from away" differently than people born and raised on the island. I don't think you'll run into problems with it really.

funkadelicfred wrote:
Also, the place I am looking at is Dorchester Street right by the Hillsborough Square, can anyone give me a quick lowdown of the area? Would be much appreciated.

That part has not been as updated as other parts of Dorchester street. It's still a bit more run down compared to other parts of downtown but it seems to be on the upswing. You're only a few minutes from downtown so it would be a great place to get settled when you first get here.