* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: 4th Annual Blues Bash in Support of Christmas Miracle
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2013, 10:39 am 
Newly Created Account

Mark your calendars now for November 16th at The Old Triangle!

Poster Design: Dale McKie

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 4th Annual Blues Bash in Support of Christmas Miracle
PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 8:12 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Great lineup!!

Theresa Malenfant & Katey Day alone are worth the price of admission. There is a reason that Theresa is called the Maritimes' Queen Of The Blues.

Ripped Paper are a dynamic group of young (14 years old) musicians featuring Logan Richard, considered by many fellow blues musicians to have the potential to become a big name in the industry (and I don't mean just on PEI).

The rest of the lineup are great entertainers and fantastic musicians.

But I am personally most excited about the "Surprise Guests". How excited? Well, I am foregoing a trip to Homestead-Miami for the final NASCAR race of the season (and potentially personally witnessing my man Matt Kenseth win the championship) in order to see these "surprise guests". That's how excited!!

I hope to see you there! It is a great cause!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 14th, 2013, 2:25 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Just heard that Theresa Malenfant has been nominated for a Maple Blues lifetime achievement award.

The Maples Blues Awards are Canada's national blues awards programs honouring the top performers in the genre.

Why not come out to the Christmas Miracles Blues Bash and see for yourself why Theresa is held in such high esteem on the national music scene :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 15th, 2013, 8:19 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

As you may have guessed from my new avatar and signature line, one of the surprises at this event will be the debut of the exciting new band, The Place Shakers, as part of the jam portion of the evening. Todd MacLean and Amy Argent have joined forces with former Bad Habits Dale McKie, Liam Kearney and Adam MacGregor to form an exciting new band that features original songs as well as favourite blues and soul tunes that will shake the place and awake the dancer in you.

And there is another surprise that my daughter (event organizer) won't give me a clue about ... I just know that she is very excited about it :D

If you are thinking about attending this event, I would suggest that you get to the Old Triangle early (perhaps make a complete evening of it and sample some of their great food). Although it is hoped that the larger capacity (use of both floors of the Triangle) for the event this year will greatly alleviate the lineup issues experienced last year, with the ever growing popularity of this event, you never know!

Hope to see you there!! Wonderful cause, great music!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 18th, 2013, 7:47 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

There were two additional surprises actually (in addition to The Place Shakers).

The first was the appearance of the amazing Christine Campbell of Stone Mary fame.. That gal can sing and play a guitar with the best of them ... no wonder she is a rising star on the national scene.

And the second was a reunion performance by Bad Habits. Fitting, since it was Bad Habits that initiated the Christmas Blues Bash concept four years ago.

The event itself was a resounding success. The Old Triangle was filled to overflowing with people enjoying a fantastic evening of incredible music.
It was the largest crowd that the Old Triangle has ever experienced (yes, including any St. Patrick's Day).

And best of all, the event raised over $4000 worth of cash and toys for the Christmas Miracles campaign.
Kudos to Carla and Dale McKie, the driving forces behind the event, and to Q93 for all their support

(I'll be putting together a video showing the highlights of the evening. Stay tuned.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 19th, 2013, 9:52 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Here is a video from the Blues Bash of Christine Campbell, an Islander (now based in Halifax) starting to make it big on the regional, national and international scene
(she recently returned from a recording session in the States).

ImageImage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1hqSRDHQCw

(I apologize for the quality of the vocals - bad camera setting - but her guitar playing comes through loud and clear)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 21st, 2013, 5:42 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

The surprise of the night was a one night only reunion of Bad Habits.

They started it off with a fan favourite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA_piHRdRp0

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 21st, 2013, 2:07 pm 
True Islander

What is even more interesting is the links that showed up to the right of the video. This one was excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPcIxwXcYIE

Punjabi I think.

Wait....something better than Bad Habits? Not a chance.

Wish I had been there.

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2013, 12:19 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

The Guardian wrote:
Fourth annual Blues Bash a massive success
Todd MacLean

In 2010, Charlottetown blues band Bad Habits began a tradition, one that would be the opposite of a bad habit and that would eventually raise well over $10,000 for the Christmas Miracle campaign.

The concept was simple enough from the get-go: Get a variety of blues acts together, do a big concert and donate the proceeds at the end of the night to a cause that will help make Christmas brighter for local children.

And sometimes it’s the most straight-forward ideas that can be the most effective, isn’t it?

The annual Blues Bash has become a much-looked-forward-to mid-November party ever since — one that seems just as productive in the fundraising department as it is in the fun department. And after I took in the fourth annual Bash this past Saturday night at the jam-packed Old Triangle, the correlation was clearly evident: The more people that come out, the more fun it is and the more Christmas fun that is generated for Island children.

And what a crowd of people there was last Saturday.

The event began at 8 p.m., but the bar began filling up well before then, with many excited blues fans ready to enjoy some of the best blues music this region has to offer.

With two stages in action — the acoustic stage upstairs in The Pourhouse and the electric stage in the Old Triangle — it was a seamless night of entertainment.

What started things off on the Old Triangle stage was a group of teenagers who have been busy the past couple of years creating a blues miracle of their own: Charlottetown’s very own Ripped Paper.

You may know them best as the band of rocking youngins’ who have regularly played the outdoor Victoria Row stage over the past couple of summers.

Perhaps you’ve walked by and thought, “Oh, hmm, I wonder what seasoned blues musician is kicking out this jam for the dining tourist crowd ...” and then looked up on the stage to see a young teenage boy ripping it up on the electric guitar, surrounded by other teenage dudes rocking it out alongside him.

That 14-year old lead singer/guitarist’s name is Logan Richard, and on Saturday night, he along with band mates Stephan LeClair (bass), Connor Nabuurs (drums) and Tanuj Fernando (keyboards) kicked the Old Triangle into high gear right away with a set that nearly tore the roof off the place.

I can only imagine how tame going back to typical Stonepark Intermediate School life would have felt for those four this past week after rocking that raging party. I, along with so many, look forward to seeing how these guys will continue to develop as a band as the years roll on.

Local blues solo guitarist/singer Chris Field began the show up in The Pourhouse with a great handful of originals that was well-received before he dashed off to another gig across town (only to return later to rip it up on electric guitar for the late night blues jam as well).

Other acoustic stage acts included the always-bang-on Scott Parsons (along with John Cain and Davey Garbus), and Theresa Malenfant with Katey Day (who blew the shoulder-to-shoulder audience away in their raw, impeccably-harmonized blues-driven power).

Rounding out the acts on the Old Triangle’s electric stage were the Plain Dirty Blues Band (catch them at their CD launch at Globe tomorrow night), a brand new band that got the crowd boogying called The Place Shakers (which features several members of Bad Habits) and the blues jam, led by Adam MacGregor & The Foes.

Singer/songwriter/guitarist Christine Campbell, the 2013 Music Nova Scotia new artist of the year, was a major highlight of the jam.

And what truly made the night extra special was a finale performance by the reunited Bad Habits, who rocked out a handful of tunes for a crowd who just could not get enough of it at the end of the show.

When all was played and partied, a grand total of $3,500 in cash was raised for the Christmas Miracle, along with approximately $500 worth of toys, all translating to what will be a whole lot of very happy kids this Christmas.

Yep. Pretty unbelievable what a bar full of people partying it up to blues music can do.

And, as the dedicated co-ordination team led by Carla McKie with Dale McKie and Liam Kearney are already planning for the 2014 Blues Bash, who knows what blues miracles next year will bring.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/Living/201 ... -success/1

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 28th, 2013, 10:26 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

And now, a sample of The Place Shakers ... filmed at the Blues Bash.

This is their first original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=durHyVb23RA

Profile E-mail