* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special steak & fries at outriders for $5.49 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: General Questions about PEI from a teen
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2013, 12:31 pm 
Newly Created Account

Hello everybody!

Recently my mom came to me, expressing how badly she wanted to move from our home in southern Ontario, out to Summerside where her sister lives. I've been to your beautiful island only once before last summer and absolutely fell in love with it.

Just some quick background info about myself:
The problem for me is, though, that my parent's are divorced. Currently, my sister and I go between houses each week and for us to say that we want to permanently stay with our mom and move would definitely cause tension between us. This isn't a situation where i have my big happy family all moving together, I'm being pulled between the two parent's. I have my heart set on PEI though, and have been longing to get out of the city for as long as I can remember.
I'm going into grade 11 this year, so I would only be in high school there for two years, but I understand that there are many universities out on the East coast for me to attend.

My questions and concerns are:
What are the high schools like over there? From what I understand there's only one pubic high school in Summerside, so does anyone know anything about it? (I.e. is it easy to fit in and are the teachers somewhat easy to deal with?)

What do teenagers do for fun? I enjoy reading and writing, amongst acting and swimming. Can I get a job? I'm really not familiar with the working laws for teenagers. In Ontario, you can begin working at 14, and handle monetary transactions at 15. I have experience and would just like that little something else to do to help me adjust to the new life. As well, how does getting your license work? Is the age 16, and are there different levels you need to surpass or do you get your full license all in one go?Are locals prejudice against people from Southern Ontario? Is that going to be an issue for me?

Now, I understand that the weather out there can be pretty wicked, winter's especially. Winter is my favourite season though. I love snow, and the cold. But how much snow do you get before everyone starts going a bit crazy and forgets how to drive? Down here in my city we get a good two and a half feet of snow and suddenly everything's closed and no one knows what to do except shovel and drink tea.

Thanks so much for reading all of this :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: General Questions about PEI from a teen
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2013, 1:29 pm 
Newly Created Account

I can't really help with the school questions from a student perspective, but from what I've heard SIS is a decent school (I have a few teacher friends who've subbed there). In general I've found the people here to be friendly, but it may take a while for you to integrate since the other kids will probably have known each other for many years (I imagine it'd be the same moving to any new school).

Summerside is a fairly small city so there's not always a lot to do, but it does have a good pool in Credit Union Place (CUP) http://www.city.summerside.pe.ca/community-services/pages/2011/12/swimming-and-aquaplex/. There's also a cinema, CUP has a bowling alley, theatre, the racetrack, stuff like that.

Coming from Ontario you will probably find it very quiet in wintertime, but if you like winter sports there's plenty of those.

No idea again on the rules for younger workers, I'd guess you might have trouble finding work unless you're 16+.

For driving, once you hit 16 you can apply for your beginner's permit, you'll want to do that straight away. You have to do a multiple-choice knowledge test and a vision test to get this permit.

You cannot sit your driving test for 12 months after you get your beginner's permit, unless you complete a driver's education course (you'll probably be able to do this as an evening course at your school). If you successfully complete the driver's ed course you can sit your test after 9 months. Driver's ed will also give you a certificate which is the equivalent of 3 years no-claims driving, which will save you a ton of money on insurance. (Note that if you cause an accident or get caught speeding this certificate will become nullified.)

Once licensed, you'll be restricted to driving during daylight hours, you can only have one non-family member as a passenger, no alcohol, etc. All the info you need can be found here: http://www.gov.pe.ca/photos/original/tir_dh_full2011.pdf

The driver's ed course I took cost $660 with http://www.safedriverspei.com. Totally worth it. The cost right now is $720.

PEI has a lot of rural roads, if you're staying on main roads they're usually cleared quite often. Nonetheless, there are always a pile of accidents after the first few snowfalls each year. It takes a fair bit of snowfall or a lot of blowing snow before things close down. Local radio does a good job of keeping people informed.

Good luck with the move!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2013, 1:45 pm 

For all of the reasons you're asking about, as well as many other - If you move here I would recommend the Charlottetown area over Summerside. They're only 45 minutes a part so your mom would still be close to her family but I think you and your family would enjoy Charlottetown a lot more.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2013, 3:27 pm 

G-Unit .. wrote:
For all of the reasons you're asking about, as well as many other - If you move here I would recommend the Charlottetown area over Summerside. They're only 45 minutes a part so your mom would still be close to her family but I think you and your family would enjoy Charlottetown a lot more.

I'd second the above. Where are you in Southern Ont? Big or small town or city?

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2013, 4:03 pm 
Newly Created Account

My mom is very persistent about Summerside. I think it has something to do with the quick and easy commute to the hospital, but I'll give her all of your feedback :)

I'm from a bigger city with half a million in population. Kitchener-Waterloo. There's only a little ski hill, an hockey to keep us busy in the winter time but the only association I have to either of those are work-related.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2013, 5:50 pm 

Maybe some one has a teen living at home, that could pm Smiley?

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2013, 11:27 pm 
Almost an Islander

G-Unit .. wrote:

Sometimes on this board, I swear people from Charlottetown get a commission for moving others out of the smaller towns. What is wrong with Summerside?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2013, 7:45 am 

I grew up in Summerside and moved to Charlottetown when I was 18. Charlottetown has better shopping, better restaurants (way more of them), better nightlife. To me, that is what's wrong with Summerside. It has very little to offer me and I'd move off Island (despite my love for PEI) before I'd move back there.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2013, 7:47 am 

And in response to the original post, you'd probably be fine in Summerside for a couple of years before leaving for college/university. It's only a couple of years. The high school was fine when I went there, though cliquey, but that's every high school. Coming from a bigger city, I think you'd be bored though.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2013, 7:54 am 

CoffeeLover wrote:
G-Unit .. wrote:

Sometimes on this board, I swear people from Charlottetown get a commission for moving others out of the smaller towns. What is wrong with Summerside?

No Professional Basketball or Major Junior Hockey, for starters.....lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2013, 8:29 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Gardiner wrote:

But people who support their sports teams much more enthusiastically than Charlottetown sports fans (on a per capita basis).

I've lived in both Summerside & Charlottetown (after growing up in Montreal). One's preference could probably come from what you want. If all you want is the "excitement" of hitting the bars every weekend, then Charlottetown is the place. If you are a music or live theatre buff, again Charlottetown offers more (but Summerside has a proportionate share). Both places are great places to raise a family with a slight nod to Summerside in that regard because the smaller size means a few less bad influences while still offering much in the way of constructive activities for youth.

Smiley, I can certainly understand your mother's preference for Summerside (family ties) and I don't think you will "suffer" too badly from living there while completing your high school education at Three Oaks. There is a good swimming program at the CCUP in S'side.

Licence to work? All you need is a social security number and you are good to go.

Winter weather here is no worse than what you often get in southern Ontario. And drivers here, in my experience, generally adapt to the winter driving conditions quicker than they did in Montreal or Ottawa.

The prejudice abut southern Ontario thing? Just remember to not flaunt where you are from ... avoid statements like "well, in Kitchener-Waterloo we did it this way which is clearly better" (there is a pre-conception that Ontarians look down their noses at Islanders, so avoid doing or saying anything that might be perceived as condescending) and you'll do just fine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2013, 9:37 am 

kreskin wrote:
Gardiner wrote:

But people who support their sports teams much more enthusiastically than Charlottetown sports fans (on a per capita basis).

I've lived in both Summerside & Charlottetown (after growing up in Montreal). One's preference could probably come from what you want. If all you want is the "excitement" of hitting the bars every weekend, then Charlottetown is the place. If you are a music or live theatre buff, again Charlottetown offers more (but Summerside has a proportionate share). Both places are great places to raise a family with a slight nod to Summerside in that regard because the smaller size means a few less bad influences while still offering much in the way of constructive activities for youth.

Smiley, I can certainly understand your mother's preference for Summerside (family ties) and I don't think you will "suffer" too badly from living there while completing your high school education at Three Oaks. There is a good swimming program at the CCUP in S'side.

Licence to work? All you need is a social security number and you are good to go.

Winter weather here is no worse than what you often get in southern Ontario. And drivers here, in my experience, generally adapt to the winter driving conditions quicker than they did in Montreal or Ottawa.

The prejudice abut southern Ontario thing? Just remember to not flaunt where you are from ... avoid statements like "well, in Kitchener-Waterloo we did it this way which is clearly better" (there is a pre-conception that Ontarians look down their noses at Islanders, so avoid doing or saying anything that might be perceived as condescending) and you'll do just fine.

That's probably more related to other factors like having a more Sports driven Mayor, a much better and more modern sport facility and a smaller choice of events.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2013, 12:26 pm 

kreskin wrote:

lol

some Islanders just need to work on their self-esteem issues

Better yet, be prepared to hear " that is not the way we do things here" :wink:

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2013, 1:32 pm 
Newly Created Account

smiley10_05 wrote:

What do teenagers do for fun? I enjoy reading and writing, amongst acting and swimming. Can I get a job? I'm really not familiar with the working laws for teenagers. In Ontario, you can begin working at 14, and handle monetary transactions at 15. I have experience and would just like that little something else to do to help me adjust to the new life.

Welcome hopefully. PEI is a great place for teens (and I think you get your license here earlier too!)

Most employment is in the tourism industry I found. Which has both positives and negatives. Great way to meet peers though!

Also I think PEI has a great cultural environment for your writing and acting. As far as Chtown vs Summerside I don't think it matters too much until you are early 20's. Then depending on what your goals desires are Chtown may be better because of its density.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2013, 3:25 pm 
True Islander

Quote:
All you need is a social security number and you are good to go.

When did we become Americans?

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2013, 5:21 pm 
Tourist

Guys. Summerside is only 45minutes from charlottetown. Either way, it's not a day trip to visit one from another! Especially coming from Kitchener/Waterloo, 45mins driving is nothing!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2013, 5:38 pm 

RiverRat wrote:
Guys. Summerside is only 45minutes from charlottetown. Either way, it's not a day trip to visit one from another! Especially coming from Kitchener/Waterloo, 45mins driving is nothing!

True, but living somewhere and visiting somewhere are two different processes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2013, 5:43 pm 
True Islander

How would living in Summerside be different than living in Charlottetown?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2013, 5:57 pm 

Summerside all has the Spotlight theatre group that are doing wonderful things developing young actors.

Harbourside Theatre also have a great youth program, as does the College of Piping.

Three Oaks have all kinds of clubs to suit your interests

Never hold your farts in. They travel to your brain and that's where shitty ideas come from.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2013, 7:06 pm 
True Islander

Raiders wrote:
How would living in Summerside be different than living in Charlottetown?

There is a lot more happening in Charlottetown than in Summerside. Just take a walk through downtown charlottetown and anywhere in Summerside and there is a huge difference. Summerside is good for young families and the city seems to be looking to attract older folks approaching retirement. Once high school is done, the young folks basically leave the city seemingly never to return.