* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Cornwall Thunder PEIHA Purchase
PostPosted: January 31st, 2013, 5:38 pm 
From Away

Anybody know why PEI Hockey Association took minor hockey money and bought the Cornwall Thunder assets. Now Barry Thompson of PEI Hockey is planning on dissolving the team and moving it to Summerside. I hope the Minor Hockey associations get the thousands of dollars back. Rumor has it Rob Newson and Thompson implemented this playoff fee to pay for the money they used to buy the Cornwall team without asking the Presidents of the associations who paid in to the PEIHA with association fees.
That and the fact that parents are demanding financial statements of the current board of directors put in place by Barry thompson and Rob Newson of PEIHA. Money has gone a stray?? Anybody know what is up? If this is the case perhaps it is time for the board to move these individuals out.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Cornwall Thunder PEIHA Purchase
PostPosted: February 3rd, 2013, 6:26 pm 

Hockey PEI is looking for submissions of interest for hosting a team.

Summerside HAS not, nor from my understanding going to apply for it. Summerside has no room, nor fan support.

Hockey PEI would like to see the team move west, but if Cornwall has the winning application they will get the team.

"MY" opinion is that Evangeline should be a great home for it. They have fan support, central location for West Queens, Prince County based players. Kensington has the senior team and Jr b's, so fan support for a third team wouldn't really be there either.

Never hold your farts in. They travel to your brain and that's where shitty ideas come from.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2013, 10:44 am 
From Away

My understanding is they are interested and PEIHA is forcing the issue to move West. Originally the Team was awarded to the west and Cornwall. The bid from the west declined and Charlottetown was awarded the team. The disturbing thing is you have the Vice-President of the PEIHA Barry Thompson who is also Vice-President of the NBPEI Major Midget league interfering with the dissolution and subsequent award of a team. In the business world that is collusion but in PEI Hockey that is how they roll. Just ask the presidents who don't want four zones. PEIHA takes their money and does as they please. Who owns the assests of the Thunder? Why are the parents of the thunder paying for 6 PEIHA appointed board members to stay in Halifax at a Tournament? Then the board have the audacity to demand 300 bucks more for the Tournament thay had already paid for in their $2950.00 player fee. All that and still no direction. Thanks to the PEI Hockey Association. Good work guys.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 5th, 2013, 8:28 pm 
Newly Created Account

The Bid is open till March 3 or 6 th,
S'side group or any other group up West would be able to support this Major Midget team .I saw over the last 10 years when Cornwall Thunder came up West to play,they had the best gate and 50/50 prize at the West rinks .
Since PEI Hockey bought the assests from the former group with Minor Hockey money of course why did they get involved and . why are putting the team up for BIDS
Also why is Cornwall Thunder moving the last two games out of the APM Center if they want the team to stay in Cornwall. Playoffs do not start till March against Ch'town.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 5th, 2013, 11:20 pm 
Newly Created Account

Cornwall Thunder have been run into the ground by past management, While Glen Gaudet has done an admirable job trying to fix it. Unfortunately what you have to do is wipe the slate clean. Bring the team up west where it will flourish.

I feel bad for the young players from Charlottetown - East. (Their best players IMO Steele, Arsenault, Renaud) will they be given the option to play with islanders next year??

Situation is a mess. Mark and Glen have been doing the best with what that can work with.

Another example is whoever runs Thunder facebook account, who is it anyway, it is embarrassing and disgraceful.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 5th, 2013, 11:38 pm 
Newly Created Account

Kudos to Glen and Mark for their efforts-as for the FB page, it's a disgrace and obviously reflects the views of bitter, previous owners. That ship sailed....As for the players, if they are meant to shine, they will do that on whatever ice surface they touch-be it east/west/central PEI. Simply said, do some more PR, regroup, and set your sights on a better 2013-2014. There has been enough salt added to the wounds this season and it's not fair for these young talented players to repeatedly listen to and read about. As adults, sweep it under the mat-it's been a steep learning curve.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 6th, 2013, 1:54 pm 
From Away

Islandhockey past management run the team into the ground. Not sure about that and what does it have to do with a post moving the team and PEIHA heavy handed tactics. Seems someone prompted you to defend something that wasn't even mentioned and what has a facebook page have to do with moving the team.
All know is Glen gaudet told us the team is broke and we have no money to finish out the season. I have never been asked for extra by past management so who ran what into the ground. Point remains team is leaving and you missed the whole point. You want to comment commen on the original post.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 6th, 2013, 2:01 pm 
From Away

Hockeymom there seems to be a conspiracy here. What does a Facebook page have to do with the team moving I am lost on that. Kudos for what spending all our money and embarassing us (players and Parents) if you think this is good than you don't know what good is. yes players can shine in the right enviroment but what has any of your comments have to do with the original post. Absolutely nothing so who is really bitter. As a parent how can you at one moment say previous owners are bitter than suggest we all bury our heads in the sand and forget the current group spent all our money including on themselves. Were you not at the meeting when Glen Gaudet told us we were broke but did not provide any finaniacal breakdown previous management at least showed us that where the money was going and never asked for more.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 6th, 2013, 3:46 pm 
Newly Created Account

Gaudet and Carragher are working with what they have. The team will thrive up west, it will be a good move. Hopefully they can find local ownership/sponsorship up there.

Lost in all this is the most important thing- The kids.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 6th, 2013, 3:57 pm 
From Away

My son is on the team and see what they do and if this is the best yikes. Your comments still have nothing to do with my original post. Kids are the most important. I am copying my original post for you in case you want to comment on it instead bringing out the Pom poms for the people playing 2 lines and no discipline and bullying in the dressing room and spending all "MY" money. I think you go to a different rink. I agree the team up west would be great too and closer as well. So unless you have something to say about my original post instead of whining about the "Previous Group" which has nothing to do why we are broke or plainly put it suck so bad. Perhaps you could post that on Fcaebook which has nothing to do with any of this.

Quote:
Anybody know why PEI Hockey Association took minor hockey money and bought the Cornwall Thunder assets. Now Barry Thompson of PEI Hockey is planning on dissolving the team and moving it to Summerside. I hope the Minor Hockey associations get the thousands of dollars back. Rumor has it Rob Newson and Thompson implemented this playoff fee to pay for the money they used to buy the Cornwall team without asking the Presidents of the associations who paid in to the PEIHA with association fees.
That and the fact that parents are demanding financial statements of the current board of directors put in place by Barry thompson and Rob Newson of PEIHA. Money has gone a stray?? Anybody know what is up? If this is the case perhaps it is time for the board to move these individuals out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 6th, 2013, 5:33 pm 
Newly Created Account

No one knows for sure where the team is moving until all bids are in and an announcement is made.

Maybe Hockey PEI bought the team because they realized that the KIDS needed help and that their parents had already paid too much.

My hope is that they can find and owner with not the intent to try and make money, but develop young hockey players

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 6th, 2013, 6:06 pm 
From Away

Islandhockey: good post and on point. We all hope for the best for the kids in spite of what some think. Sometimes, like Senator Duffy, information gets out when it shouldn't, which is why I asked if anybody heard anything. Thats it.
Lets hope the last couple of games go well and with a good effort against the Isanders in the playoffs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 12th, 2013, 2:02 pm 
Almost an Islander

fmrthunderfan wrote:
Anybody know why PEI Hockey Association took minor hockey money and bought the Cornwall Thunder assets.

Perhaps because those who received this money demanded it ?

They're not from the city of "brotherly love"

Keeping some of the " assets" hostage until a deal was struck and "they" got "some" money back........ ya just never know

A couple of "dudes" outside the "Hockey PEI mafia" perhaps have a little more pull than people gave them credit for.....

There motto ...WE DON'T LOSE, WINNING IS IN OUR BLOODLINE.

A DIRECT comment made from an individual, with in a small group of people.

This individual has been known to "stir the pot" moves about with an arrogant demeanor, looking down at everyone. Still attends games, with no affiliation other than to show his cockiness...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 14th, 2013, 10:23 am 
From Away

TRX from what we were told it was an offer from the PEIHA not a demand. In this instance there is no love for sure and things are clear as mud.

Not sure how you keep something hostage when you were basically forced out as far as I could see but I could be wrong. If those "Dudes" had as much power as you suggest we probably wouldn't be in this situation. PEIHA pulled the plug on them and called for bids.

Well if that was the Motto the team didn't follow it very well. I think we all read in more than we should and we peobably will never know the real reason behind it. The other RUMOR was PEIHA forced ithe team out and then a move to eventually reduce the league to one team only and this was just the precursor. The more I think of that it begins to make sense other than stupidity and a burnt bus when you think of it. Points to Ponder. That scenario has been brought up by PEI Hockey at previous league meetings so I am told. If you could find minutes(one would assume they keep them) it may show that.

Game 7 tonight and go Thunder go.

Profile E-mail