RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Saturday Steak Special at Fireman's Club for $5.75 [Remind Me]

Lunch Soup and Sandwich at St. James Gate for $9.95 [Remind Me]

Lunch Steak Special at Ch'town Curling Club for $10.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special steak & fries at outriders for $5.49 [Remind Me]

All Day Special 6 oz Ribeye Steak Sandwich at St. James Gate for $6.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: How are you suppose to adjust air exchange systems?
PostPosted: February 19th, 2013, 9:25 am 

In the last two places I owned I had an air exchanger, the typical Venmar unit (I know a lot of places have them). It has a control unit that has a dial that says summer and then various stages of negative degrees. I was never told nor ever really understood how these work/how they are suppose to be adjusted.

I always assumed that you set the dial to approx. what the outside air temperature is, is this correct? My place seems really dry this winter and I've been wondering if it is related to the air exchanger being set improperly.

I was also once told by someone that you should turn the dial until you hear it click then dial it back a notch, but when I do that it ends up around the summer setting even in the winter months.

Post subject: Re: How are you suppose to adjust air exchange systems?
PostPosted: February 19th, 2013, 10:34 am 

The main problem that the Heat Recovery Ventilation systems, such as the Venmar, were designed to correct is excess humidity.

Cold winter air can hold less moisture than warm air can, so, if your house is too dry, turn it off completely on cold dry days, and back on to ventilate the house on the warmer days.

If the house is consistently 'too' dry, you could install a humidifier. Short term solution is to keep a pot or kettle of water boiling on the stove. :)

Ed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 19th, 2013, 4:13 pm 
True Islander

jfall wrote:
In the last two places I owned I had an air exchanger, the typical Venmar unit (I know a lot of places have them). It has a control unit that has a dial that says summer and then various stages of negative degrees. I was never told nor ever really understood how these work/how they are suppose to be adjusted.

I always assumed that you set the dial to approx. what the outside air temperature is, is this correct? My place seems really dry this winter and I've been wondering if it is related to the air exchanger being set improperly.

I was also once told by someone that you should turn the dial until you hear it click then dial it back a notch, but when I do that it ends up around the summer setting even in the winter months.

I think you need a more advanced control unit with humidity and mode controls for different time of the year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 19th, 2013, 5:48 pm 
Almost an Islander

We use a very simple system to regulate ours in winter - if condensation begins to form on the windows we turn it on for a few hours. Otherwise we leave it turned off. Not very scientific but it keeps the house from being overly dry in the winter.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 19th, 2013, 7:45 pm 

You can turn it completely off at the control on the wall. Any time you shower or whatever you just push the button in the bathroom and it'll come on for approx. 15 minutes that should be enough in the winter. At least that is what i do with mine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 20th, 2013, 5:12 am 
True Islander

Our air exchanger control is air humidity. It's set at 50%.

Also, it's always running at a reduced cycle until the condition is met where the humidity reaches the dial setting, then it kicks into full duty.

I don't use it often. It seems to return very cold air

PostPosted: February 20th, 2013, 2:37 pm 
True Islander

socktan wrote:
Our air exchanger control is air humidity. It's set at 50%.

Also, it's always running at a reduced cycle until the condition is met where the humidity reaches the dial setting, then it kicks into full duty.

I don't use it often. It seems to return very cold air

I usually keep mine in off mode during the Summer and the winter in anything below -5-10 degrees (the heating coil will probably freeze up).

Profile E-mail