Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Fajita Friday at Chartwells UPEI for $5.29 [Remind Me]

Lunch Roast Turkey Buffet at Rodd Charlottetown for $13.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Fifty Shades of Grey
PostPosted: December 29th, 2012, 11:53 am 
True Islander

Has anyone read the book(s)?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2013, 11:28 am 
Almost an Islander

I read them when they were so much in the news and I had to find out what everyone was talking about.

I didn't find them particularly good and rather than being "exciting" they made me more angry than anything else. My main reaction was to plot all the evil things I'd do to get revenge on Christian Grey as soon as he nodded off to sleep. Guess I wouldn't make a good submissive :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2013, 1:45 pm 
True Islander

ariadne wrote:
I read them when they were so much in the news and I had to find out what everyone was talking about.

I didn't find them particularly good and rather than being "exciting" they made me more angry than anything else. My main reaction was to plot all the evil things I'd do to get revenge on Christian Grey as soon as he nodded off to sleep. Guess I wouldn't make a good submissive :lol:

I'm only into the third chapter, so I'm too early to establish any level of feelings. I did hear a few discussions on the book and enough to pique my interest to read them and draw my own conclusions......we'll see!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2013, 3:11 pm 
Almost an Islander

Enjoy . . . . . I must say that I am curious as to who'll play Christian in the movie version. I'm hoping for Alexander Skarsgard :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2013, 3:46 pm 
True Islander

ariadne wrote:
Enjoy . . . . . I must say that I am curious as to who'll play Christian in the movie version. I'm hoping for Alexander Skarsgard :wink:

Some of his work in true blood may come in handy.....lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2013, 10:07 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

ariadne wrote:
Alexander Skarsgard

Sorry, but.....ewwwww....... :P

I like:
=P~

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2013, 7:51 am 
Almost an Islander

Isn't Christian supposed to have red hair? Too swarthy :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2013, 9:03 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

ariadne wrote:

Copper.....just a touch of Nice'N Easy and he'll be perfect! :D :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2013, 9:49 am 
True Islander

Armetis wrote:
ariadne wrote:

Copper.....just a touch of Nice'N Easy and he'll be perfect! :D :P

K you two, he has to be able to act as well......lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2013, 12:52 pm 
Almost an Islander

FoxRun wrote:
K you two, he has to be able to act as well......lol

Not really :wink: If the movie is true to the book we'll spend most of the time reading emails over someone's shoulder :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 11th, 2013, 10:59 am 

ariadne wrote:

holy s#!t ariadne, i felt the SAME WAY and if i said that to people IRL, they looked at me like i was nuts, lol. glad to hear im not the only one (altho i have heard lots say the books writing overall was shitty)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 11th, 2013, 11:28 am 
True Islander

stick2thefacts wrote:
ariadne wrote:

holy s#!t ariadne, i felt the SAME WAY and if i said that to people IRL, they looked at me like i was nuts, lol. glad to hear im not the only one (altho i have heard lots say the books writing overall was shitty)

I'm no expert in book writing and I don't read a whole lot, but I have to agree. I'm at chapter 9 and haven't got to the kinky stuff yet, but it is slow going, in terms of any great moments of anticipation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 11th, 2013, 12:41 pm 
Almost an Islander

I got the audio version (I love to read but with a family & full time job my reading time is severely limited so with the audio book I can read while grocery shopping, doing housework, etc.) and from what I understand they had to release a 2nd version of the book in audio format because the narrator who was hired sounded too young and innocent and everyone who listened to the first version was disgusted by the sex scenes with a childlike narrator.

I actually liked the 2nd and 3rd books a bit better than the first one just because Christian stopped being so much of an a** as he was in book 1. But, most of my favorite books get a 2nd listen and so far these ones were something I'd only listen to once.

I can see the appeal for ladies who have fantasies of being swept away against their will to do naughty things but as different things appeal to all of us, these books weren't my cup of tea.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 11th, 2013, 11:25 pm 

FoxRun wrote:
Has anyone read the book(s)?

Read fifty pages while waiting for my daughter at Chapters. How people are excited over that is beyond me, it reads like it was written by a "D" student in English class.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 12th, 2013, 4:25 am 
Almost an Islander

I read the books when they first came out because a coworker recommended them to me, and I read them all, hoping the story would get better with each novel.

I really had trouble enjoying the trilogy because the heroine was just too naive. I found both her character, as well as Grey's very unrealistic. I agree with ariadne that Grey is not as much as an ass as the story moves on, but for the most part, all I could picture was a 3 yr old whining and stomping his feet when he doesn't get his way. And for a young kajillionnaire, he sure doesn't seem to work very much...

It also felt like the books had been written by a pre-teen, and the back-and-forth emails just annoyed the s#!t out of me. The sex descriptions got to be so common/familiar, that I ended up just skimming over those parts out of sheer boredom.

Sorry for the negative review... I didn't hate the books, but I wouldn't recommend them, either.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 12th, 2013, 9:39 am 
True Islander

flutesong wrote:
I read the books when they first came out because a coworker recommended them to me, and I read them all, hoping the story would get better with each novel.

I really had trouble enjoying the trilogy because the heroine was just too naive. I found both her character, as well as Grey's very unrealistic. I agree with ariadne that Grey is not as much as an ass as the story moves on, but for the most part, all I could picture was a 3 yr old whining and stomping his feet when he doesn't get his way. And for a young kajillionnaire, he sure doesn't seem to work very much...

It also felt like the books had been written by a pre-teen, and the back-and-forth emails just annoyed the s#!t out of me. The sex descriptions got to be so common/familiar, that I ended up just skimming over those parts out of sheer boredom.

Sorry for the negative review... I didn't hate the books, but I wouldn't recommend them, either.

Yet the book has topped best-seller lists around the world and the series has sold over 65 million copies worldwide and set the record as the fastest-selling paperback of all time, selling even faster than the Harry Potter series in paperback.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 12th, 2013, 4:00 pm 
Almost an Islander

I think I got caught up in the "mob mentality" for both Fifty Shade and Harry Potter. I read both books because there were so many people talking about them that I had to find out what all the stir was about rather than because the book jacket sounded good or it was an author I enjoyed. I wonder how many other people only bought them because they were in the news?

I've reread Harry Potter multiple times, so at least that one lived up to it's press. The Casual Vacancy, however, was a tremendous disappointment to me :cry:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 12th, 2013, 5:05 pm 
Almost an Islander

FoxRun wrote:
Yet the book has topped best-seller lists around the world and the series has sold over 65 million copies worldwide and set the record as the fastest-selling paperback of all time, selling even faster than the Harry Potter series in paperback.

Yes it has.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2013, 12:49 pm 
Newly Created Account

Hi

I, too, only read Fifty Shades because they were in the news and much talked about. I enjoyed them but read them for what they were, which was basically adventurous and new (to me, anyway!). I had the same feelings about them as most people - simple story, over the top, etc. But if I could sell my own books to the tune of 65 million I'd put the criticism aside! Wow. These books are more of a statement on our times than on the story itself.

Can I throw in a plug for another love story? This is my first online novel -
https://www.ebookit.com/books/000000230 ... -Josh.html

Only some tasteful love scenes, I promise.

I would love it if people were interested in reading the book (First one in a series) and writing a review for me on Kindle or Goodreads.

Feel free to find me on Facebook as Susan A. Rodgers, Writer.

Thanks. Happy reading!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2013, 3:43 pm 
True Islander

Sam wrote:
Hi

I, too, only read Fifty Shades because they were in the news and much talked about. I enjoyed them but read them for what they were, which was basically adventurous and new (to me, anyway!). I had the same feelings about them as most people - simple story, over the top, etc. But if I could sell my own books to the tune of 65 million I'd put the criticism aside! Wow. These books are more of a statement on our times than on the story itself.

Can I throw in a plug for another love story? This is my first online novel -
https://www.ebookit.com/books/000000230 ... -Josh.html

Only some tasteful love scenes, I promise.

I would love it if people were interested in reading the book (First one in a series) and writing a review for me on Kindle or Goodreads.

Feel free to find me on Facebook as Susan A. Rodgers, Writer.

Thanks. Happy reading!

Suffice to say "sex sells".....lol

Profile E-mail