Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Fajita Friday at Chartwells UPEI for $5.29 [Remind Me]

Lunch Roast Turkey Buffet at Rodd Charlottetown for $13.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: moving to the island
PostPosted: June 18th, 2012, 12:08 pm 

Hi all,
We are looking forward to an upcoming move to the island in the fall from Ontario (North of Orangeville). I've read that high speed internet may not be available everywhere, is this true? Some of the posts on here are a few years old so I'm wondering about an update on that. Also about oil heating, how much is it to fill a tank and about how long does a tank last in the winters? (approx. of course) We are looking at property a little west of Summerside near the 11 hywy, all good for travelling around during winters?
I will also have many questions up until we come out - will post as they arise. Thanks in advance for any help with my queries :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: moving to the island
PostPosted: June 18th, 2012, 12:23 pm 

irishgal wrote:
Hi all,
We are looking forward to an upcoming move to the island in the fall from Ontario (North of Orangeville). I've read that high speed internet may not be available everywhere, is this true? Some of the posts on here are a few years old so I'm wondering about an update on that. Also about oil heating, how much is it to fill a tank and about how long does a tank last in the winters? (approx. of course) We are looking at property a little west of Summerside near the 11 hywy, all good for travelling around during winters?
I will also have many questions up until we come out - will post as they arise. Thanks in advance for any help with my queries :)

Depending on how far west of Summerside you may have to get wireless high speed, either through Aliant or Route 2. If you know the community name we could help narrow it down a bit better.

The heating oil would be specific to the age of the house and the size of the house. Keeping my house (35year old bungalow with some leaks) at about 19-20 most of the winter took about 5 tanks, mind you the last fill should last me most if not all of the summer. A newer, less drafty house will use less. Most cases the owner/realtor will tell you how many tanks the house will use.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 18th, 2012, 12:32 pm 

Hello! The area looking at is St. Chrysostome (sp?). House is over 30 years and prob draughty, I'm sure. So how much to fill your tank each time? I've got zero experience with oil heating costs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 18th, 2012, 1:14 pm 
True Islander

800L of oil at today's prices costs $781.20. ($0.9765/L)

Many factors affect how much oil your house will consume for space heating; temperature setting, size of home, age/efficiency of heating system, amount of insulation in exterior walls, basement and attic and how air tight the house is.

The real estate lising usually includes a historical heating fuel consumption figure, which your agent should be able to provide you.

An average new home uses 95 million BTU's per year according to CMHC, which equates to $3000 of oil per year with an 85% efficient oil heating system.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2012, 1:18 pm 

Wow, a wood or pellet stove is the way to go then I would say. Have the oil for backup - real cold days and hot water heater.
I am wondering also about something I could offer the island that perhaps you don't have and would like to - a service or product of interest? Ideas? My husband will be working but I'll be leaving my job here - would love to start something. Any and all feedback is completely appreciated :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 18th, 2012, 1:27 pm 

Irishgal, we used less than one tank of oil, approximately $770 worth, over the last year.

The 1200 sq. ft. split-level house is 'super-insulated' and solar 'tempered' and is located on a 26 acre woodlot in the Bonshaw area about 20 km west of Charlottetown.

BTW, we're planning to sell next spring. Perhaps you're interested?

Ed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 18th, 2012, 1:55 pm 

Hello Ed,
Nomie stated in their post that they had to fill their tank over 5 times...? So in that case it would be much more costly, or maybe I'm missing something. I have also heard that some people on the island have a real hard time with this very issue come winter time, can't afford heating costs.
We will be looking for our new place of residence end of this summer - fall time, but thanks for the offer :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 18th, 2012, 2:08 pm 

irishgal wrote:
Hello Ed,
Nomie stated in their post that they had to fill their tank over 5 times...? So in that case it would be much more costly, or maybe I'm missing something. I have also heard that some people on the island have a real hard time with this very issue come winter time, can't afford heating costs.
We will be looking for our new place of residence end of this summer - fall time, but thanks for the offer :)

It should cost me about $3 to $3,500 to heat my house from sept-sept. Two of those fills were not full tanks, sorry for failing to mention that. That is with a brand new fuel efficient furnace and a drafty small bungalo. I'm not sure on square footage.

We're Sorry
Bell Aliant High-Speed is currently not available for ARSENAULT MILL RD ,ST-CHRYSOSTOME, PE

So you are left with satellite internet, turbo stick from Aliant or Route 2 Wireless.

You mentioned about service/products to offer. Its hard to say what people would be interested in, sometimes it may be a matter of people not knowing that product/service existed. Is there anything you had in mind, or any specials skills/products you had in mind?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 18th, 2012, 2:20 pm 

Well, I wasn't sure, giving it some thought lately tho as to what I want to do that makes me happy and also a little bit of cash. Everyone's dream eh? lol Maybe I'll pm you when I come up with some ideas and you can give me thoughts on how well it would fly out there :)
Also, ya, oil's costly...will be making sure anywhere we do buy has a newer fucntional high efficient wood burning stove...will be a must have on the property 'needs' list ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 18th, 2012, 2:22 pm 

irishgal wrote:
Well, I wasn't sure, giving it some thought lately tho as to what I want to do that makes me happy and also a little bit of cash. Everyone's dream eh? lol Maybe I'll pm you when I come up with some ideas and you can give me thoughts on how well it would fly out there :)

Sounds good! Ex-racer will sell you his house and I can build you a website for your home based business !! win win :wink: :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 18th, 2012, 2:32 pm 

That's awesome!!! Very excited to get out there. It's beautiful and I actually like winter, rugged beaches, kind hearted people and good times...so I bet I will do just fine!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 18th, 2012, 2:33 pm 
True Islander

irishgal wrote:
Also, ya, oil's costly...will be making sure anywhere we do buy has a newer fucntional high efficient wood burning stove...will be a must have on the property 'needs' list ;)

Before getting an efficient wood burning stove, you should check that the house is well insulated. Extra insulation could quickly pay for itself.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2012, 2:42 pm 

Yes will def keep that in mind, thanks also Craiger!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 18th, 2012, 3:32 pm 
Almost an Islander

(I used to live near Laurel, went to public school in Orangeville, highschool in Shelburne!)

Heating costs are also variable depending on how warm you keep the place, too. My philosophy is that the sweaters are paid for, the oil isn't. If my place is warmer than 15-17* then it's summer. LOL

I've been to many people's homes in the winter and they have it warmer than they'd stand in the summer while complaining about their heating bill...

Hope you enjoy the Island! Beautiful spot - in the summer, anyway. The provincial income tax rate is about 2x what it is in Ontario - but you're not in Ontario so it's almost a wash. lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 18th, 2012, 3:36 pm 

Hello! I am situated off the 124 north in a small teeny town called Horning's Mills just outside of Shelburne. I agree people do put heat on way too high in winter - I am probably guilty of it myself! Have you lived on pei long? We are really looking forward to moving - we will be going to one-income status which will be very different for me! Going to have to find stuff/job/business I can do to keep busy!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 18th, 2012, 3:45 pm 

What kind of work will hubby be doing here?

as for heating, I have a 1200ft bungalow, 34 years old with original windows. Three full tanks does me a year+, so less than $2400/yr at today's price.

As for a service we need here, any chance you can get your doctors license real quick? :wink:

PostPosted: June 18th, 2012, 4:11 pm 

Hahahahaah quite unlikely! No docs out there?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 18th, 2012, 4:14 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

irishgal wrote:
Hahahahaah quite unlikely! No docs out there?

Like everywhere, there is a shortage of doctors on PEI.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 18th, 2012, 4:18 pm 

Duh...true! How is the Island for walk-in clinics?
Gaidheal, we'll pay the extra sales tax and avoid all the gas guzzling we do to commute two vehicles into Toronto for work everyday! That adds up to approx. 600$/month!!! It's really brutal!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 18th, 2012, 4:19 pm 

Oh and hubby's got a government job...

Profile E-mail