Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Taco Bar at Chartwells UPEI for $4.99 [Remind Me]

Supper Martini Mondays at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $5.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Monday Lunch Special at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.80 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Moving To P.E.I.
PostPosted: July 8th, 2011, 11:59 pm 
Newly Created Account

Thanks for the responses. From what I can tell I don't believe we'd feel too out of place. My husband and I are decent, friendly people who like the simple life. We aren't big on night life or fast food and really want to carve out a more rural lifestyle. So yeah, we wouldn't need to be that close to the city. Of course you don't want to be too far because as you get older you would want to be within reasonable access to hospital and so forth. But as I understand it, almost anywhere on the island would be reasonable to us since we are already used to driving an hour or more sometimes. We have browsed real estate listings online and for what we can sell our property here we could easily walk away with enough to completely or almost completely buy a property in P.E.I. if we are willing to be a little more off the beaten track and in an older home. The house we are in now is 120 yrs old so we love older homes and are quite handy ourselves with renos and repairs. We have to wait 2 years before we can make the move so right now we are investigating all the ins and outs and getting as informed as we can so that we are prepared when the time comes. Any tips, suggestions or advice is welcome.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 11th, 2011, 5:46 am 
Newly Created Account

Nice Information.I have bookmarked your site to learn more. Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 11th, 2011, 1:24 pm 
Almost an Islander

Re: Wingnut posting July 9th, 2011 12:59 A.M.

I know this is going to sound strange but driving on PEI is unlike driving in other places. I had an employee once who lived 90 minutes away. He said it was no problem as he drove that amount in Ontario. After only a few days the drive was driving him crazy. I don't know why it is so but it is.

I would try to stay within 20 minutes of any places you feel it is important to be close to. Just my opinion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 18th, 2011, 6:49 pm 
Almost an Islander

Lots of interesting topics in this section for anyone contemplating a move to the island. From reading thru all the posts, I discovered your heating costs are extremely high but I guess that's the price of oil these days. Has the price of electric heat come down in price to be comparable to oil? Also, I would be interested in hearing from anyone whose house is built on a slab. I've seen on the MLS quite a few houses for sale built this way on the island. What are the pros and cons of this. One obvious con would be the lack of a basement, hence no storage.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 29th, 2011, 8:00 am 
Newly Created Account

This being my first post I should introduce myself...

Hi there I'm Stephen and I come from Scotland

I've recently been offered a job in Alberta which I have decided to accept but my wife and I want to bring my children (3 boys) up in PEI. We feel Scotland is now basically a dangerous place to bring up our children and really is getting worse by each year.

I'm looking to move us all over by July 2012 but I'm finding it hard to search for good rental houses. I want to rent first to make sure where we move to on the island will be good for all of us. Currently I'm looking at Cornwall as it's close to Charlottetown but it also has a small town feel which I think will benefit my sons, and that my wife has a cousin who lives there also which I also think would help a great deal when I'm going back and fourth to the Oil Sands.

Right now I keep searching Point2, Craigslist and another website which I have forgotten the name of. I'm lucky if I have seen a handful of houses for rent over the past month I have been searching.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2011, 12:06 pm 

Hi steve_m

A good site to look for house rentals on PEI would be: Kijiji PEI. They have quite a number of houses for rent.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2011, 3:16 pm 
Newly Created Account

Thanks for the reply ... That Kijiji was the website I had forgot the name of.

Only problem is there was only two houses in Cornwall. Gonna have to keep my eye on them until I'm ready to go (which is about 6 months)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2011, 11:19 am 
Almost an Islander

I am finally moving back to PEI after 9 years in Guelph, Ontario for a combination of education and work. Made the decision to make a leap of faith to come home, even though I don't have a job lined up just yet. I'm so excited to get in the car and head home!

PostPosted: October 11th, 2011, 9:49 am 
Newly Created Account

Congrats Oceanbrae! My husband and I are still dreaming about our move in 2 yrs. For us it's a new start...never lived there but we are tired of Ontario. :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 28th, 2011, 11:38 am 

stevie_m wrote:
We feel Scotland is now basically a dangerous place to bring up our children and really is getting worse by each year.

Hi Stevie,

My wife and I live on the island and we're planning on visiting Scotland soon... can you tell us why you think it's dangerous? We lived in Ireland for a year and didn't feel unsafe ever - so we'd like to hear your thoughts about Scotland.

Scotland and the Maritimes have a pretty close connection to each other through immigration... always interesting to hear a different perspective!

PostPosted: December 26th, 2011, 12:09 pm 

http://peiblog.ca/info-pei/moving-to-pr ... rd-island/

This is one of the BEST inclusive sites I have seen covering moving to PEI. A sincere welcome to all newcomers and those who have already made the move, a giant one in some cases. PEI is a very special place in the world whose people are friendly and the spirit of the Island envelopes and touches those who live here regardless if they are Island born or not. Those who have CHOSEN to live PEI more likely respect and care for it even more than those who have lived here all their lives and are not fully aware of the uniqueness of our little Island cradled on the waves.

Happy New Year to all and may 2012 bring LOVE, PEACE, JOY & HOPE to All.

Post subject: Moving To P.E.I.
PostPosted: January 9th, 2012, 6:28 pm 
Newly Created Account

:o

Hello,

Can anybody tell me a bit more please?

I currently reside in Kits (west Side), Vancouver B.C, and have lived here for over 14 years now. Love the beach, cafes, schools and the convenience of everything!

All within walking distance, one of the most desirable areas within Vancouver, however prices to live here are creeping up beyond belief!

I pay almost $2500. per month after utilities and
as a single mother of 3 children, I rather be saving and putting away to buy my own home, and saving for my childrens education!

Bottom line is I have been searching for the perfect place. I do not like the outskirts of Vancouver at all...desolate and boring. No heritage, just boxes and industrial land...ugggg

During my research, wow I came upon Charlottetown, PEI! Beautiful! :P

I am now in the process of researching, schools for my children, and rentals.
Ideally, I would like to be walking distance to everything, cafes, shops, schools etc. this tiny city is beautiful and appears to have everything I love including the amazing architecture.

Again if anybody can shed some light on the best areas in Charlottetown to live, that would be wonderful!!!

Or any other areas you feel may suit me?

Thank you :D

Cheers

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 9th, 2012, 6:33 pm 
True Islander

Charlottetown really doesn't have "areas" as such. If you want to be within walking distance to everything you are pretty much limited to the downtown core.
There are many apartments and condos for rent that would cut your monthly bills in half. Just be aware that whatever job you work will most likely be a drop in salary as well.

Cornwall and Stratford are also good options.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 10th, 2012, 12:29 am 
Newly Created Account

Thanks Raiders...

I will for sure look into your other suggestions regarding a place to settle!

You had mentioned the downtown core, cafes, shops, etc, you had also mentioned that this would cut my costs in half? Is the downtown core significantly less expensive to live?
I would think it would be the opposite?

How is it residing downtown, as far as safety, people, crime etc?

Cheers :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 10th, 2012, 8:02 am 
True Islander

blue_saphire wrote:
Thanks Raiders...

I will for sure look into your other suggestions regarding a place to settle!

You had mentioned the downtown core, cafes, shops, etc, you had also mentioned that this would cut my costs in half? Is the downtown core significantly less expensive to live?
I would think it would be the opposite?

I think he means compared to where you're at now. A home downtown will be more expensive than some other areas of Charlottetown.

blue_saphire wrote:
How is it residing downtown, as far as safety, people, crime etc?

Cheers :D

Crime isn't a big issue in Charlottetown. There is some property crime but not a lot of serious crime.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2012, 7:34 pm 
Newly Created Account

Thanks for every bit of info you guys give me on here! Very appreciated!

:D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 11th, 2012, 4:39 pm 
Newly Created Account

Hi I am a new member, at present living in Quesnel BC, however spent 30 years living and growing up in a small fishing community in Devon England and find I am missing the fishing and the ocean!
going to be taking early retirement (60) and want to retire to the maritimes and am looking at pei we would like to live near a harbour with fishing boats so I could have my own small boat and offer my services as a crew member on the larger boats for free just for the love of doing it! and wanted some input about the various harbours and areas for buying a house i also enjoy beach fishing.and long walks with the dogs
my wife and I are also keen cyclists and motor cyclists and would like some info on local clubs for both

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 11th, 2012, 8:18 pm 
True Islander

Here is the website for cycling PEI. It may be of help. http://cpei.ca/

PostPosted: March 30th, 2012, 9:08 pm 
Tourist

Hi All!

Here's another 'moving to PEI' question:

Are there any 'public access' beaches on the west end of the island?

And is the water really warm enough for swimming in the summer??

I've swam in the ocean in Vancouver (pretty chilly) and on this coast near Atlantic City (very chilly)... but there are some places on Vancouver Island (Qualicum Beach, etc) where it's actually so shallow that it's warm enough to just lay in the water comfortably in July or August.

Anything like that in the famous "Northumberland" waters of PEI?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 1st, 2012, 7:53 pm 
True Islander

rockandroller wrote:
Hi All!

Here's another 'moving to PEI' question:

Are there any 'public access' beaches on the west end of the island?

And is the water really warm enough for swimming in the summer??

I've swam in the ocean in Vancouver (pretty chilly) and on this coast near Atlantic City (very chilly)... but there are some places on Vancouver Island (Qualicum Beach, etc) where it's actually so shallow that it's warm enough to just lay in the water comfortably in July or August.

Anything like that in the famous "Northumberland" waters of PEI?

Hi, there all sorts of public access beaches everywhere on PEI. The only beaches you have to pay to get to are the Provincial Park ones. The water on the South side of PEI tends to be a tad bit warmer than it is on the North side. We go to Chelton beach in the Summer. Not really the west end of the Island but it is only a 5 minute drive from my house. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next