Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Saturday Steak Special at Fireman's Club for $5.75 [Remind Me]

Lunch Steak Special at Ch'town Curling Club for $10.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special steak & fries at outriders for $5.49 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: I know its over asked but...
PostPosted: February 10th, 2012, 12:34 am 
Newly Created Account

Hi I am new to these boards, although I have done some looking around the last month or so. I wanted to make my first post. I know its asked over and over again by people who want to move to PEI and such related questions. And yes my husband and I would like to make that move, but its not something we can pick up and do immediatley. however we want to start researching things such as jobs. My husband works for a bank and has been told he can probably do a transfer to a branch in Summerside or Charlottetown which of course would help with us securing work before such a drastic move. My career lies within child care/daycare and I am wondering if this is a struggling career field on the island with many people working seasonally? Here in Ontario ECE's are being hired into Kindergarten classes, is that done there as well? Is there a high need in this career field or would I struggle to secure employment? I am more than willing to work at any sort of job that help pays the bills etc, but am curious about this aspect obviously because of my educational background.
Its a huge decision that we obviously have to think hard about and research before deciding. we spent a few days on the island last summer when touring NS, NB and of course PEI, this year we have secured a cabin for a week and want to look more into these sorts of issues...
I am curious if there are companies or gov't departments that have been created to help those thinking of moving there since it seems to be a fairly common theme? I have only noticed sites for immigrants outside of Canada. Anyhow if anyone has advice, suggestions or help in any of these areas I have mentioned it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so mcuh

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: I know its over asked but...
PostPosted: February 10th, 2012, 5:51 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

This Facebook group might be helpful

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/islandersBCA/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 10th, 2012, 8:37 am 
True Islander

If you're a certified early childhood education worker, I doubt you'd have a lot of difficulties finding work. The employment prospects are good on PEI.

Kindergarten joined the public school system in 2010 and ECE's who were working at that time were able to keep their jobs on the condition they get their BEd. Any jobs that came up in kindergarten now would be offered to internal staff first and I think you'd need a BEd now to get a job there.

You can check out labour market information for this occupation on PEI here: http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/report ... ok#outlook

PostPosted: February 10th, 2012, 9:48 am 

One thing I have noticed with my little ones daycare is the rate of turnover with new/young staff. From what I see is they get their certification and go to work and either don't pan out (Manager dismisses them) or they find out that it isn't the job they really want. Because you are already established as an ECE and know that you love what you do you will have no problem finding a position.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 10th, 2012, 10:44 am 
True Islander

The Early Childhood Development Association of PEI is a good resource.
http://earlychildhooddevelopment.ca/splashv2.php

PostPosted: February 10th, 2012, 8:21 pm 
Newly Created Account

Nomie wrote:
One thing I have noticed with my little ones daycare is the rate of turnover with new/young staff. From what I see is they get their certification and go to work and either don't pan out (Manager dismisses them) or they find out that it isn't the job they really want. Because you are already established as an ECE and know that you love what you do you will have no problem finding a position.

yes i have been in this career field going on 11 years so definatley have a feel for if its what I want to be doing...

Thanks for all the links etc, I am going to start looking into them this weekend and see where it leads me

Profile E-mail