Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Fajita Friday at Chartwells UPEI for $5.29 [Remind Me]

Lunch Roast Turkey Buffet at Rodd Charlottetown for $13.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: What were your school days like here on PEI?
PostPosted: August 24th, 2005, 8:37 pm 

Just kind of curious to see how they may differ from my school experience in the States....

!) Do you have the classic cliques here....like the "jocks", "preps", "brains", "burnouts" etc....etc... ??

2) Do you all have to take end of the year testing? We did this test at the end of the year and if the county didn't pass (which thankfully we always did) the state (or in your case province) would take over the school til you met standards.

3.) Do you all have Spirit Week, Homecoming Week, or Prom?

4.) Are you guys forced to take a foreign language too? For me, I took 4 years of Latin. :( Bleh...

5.) Do you all take a college/university aptitude test at grade 12, either like an ACT or SAT?

6.) When someone is in their final year of highschool for example would you call it....the 12th grade, grade 12 or Senior year?

LOL.....weird topic, I know , but thanks to all who answer. :)

Post subject: Re: What were your school days like here on PEI?
PostPosted: August 24th, 2005, 8:48 pm 
True Islander

SAPPHIRE_PHOENIX wrote:
!) Do you have the classic cliques here....like the "jocks", "preps", "brains", "burnouts" etc....etc... ??

Yes.. and if you don't belong to one of those cliques, you're an outcast... I went to Charlottetown Rural.. I was one of those outcasts... we had our own group.. *G*

SAPPHIRE_PHOENIX wrote:
2) Do you all have to take end of the year testing? We did this test at the end of the year and if the county didn't pass (which thankfully we always did) the state (or in your case province) would take over the school til you met standards.

I've never heard of that, but we did exams in the middle and at the end of each semester

SAPPHIRE_PHOENIX wrote:

Yes, well.. kind of... we had spirit days.. they went all year... the first year that I was there, they had a vote for mr and miss spring fling, which was a spring carnival type deal.. don't think they do it anymore.. think they just have the dance now... and we had a grad dance at the end of the year.. so yeah, we had prom... didn't go to mine, both times I could have gone..
SAPPHIRE_PHOENIX wrote:

4.) Are you guys forced to take a foreign language too? For me, I took 4 years of Latin. :( Bleh...

Yep, it's called French.. *L* I don't think we're forced to take it after grade 10,, but I did... not really doing me a whole lot of good now, though.. they did have a German course that I wanted to take, but they cancelled it before I could sign up...

SAPPHIRE_PHOENIX wrote:
5.) Do you all take a college/university aptitude test at grade 12, either like an ACT or SAT?

Nope.. only if we want to.. or if we're planning on going to University in the states...

SAPPHIRE_PHOENIX wrote:
6.) When someone is in their final year of highschool for example would you call it....the 12th grade, grade 12 or Senior year?

Um.. I think I answered that question above.. *L* it's Grade 12...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24th, 2005, 8:57 pm 

"jocks", "preps", "brains", "burnouts" :shock:

yep we had all those :shock:

the jocks became bums

the preps became deadbeats

the burnouts are still burned out :shock:

there is another class that thankfully i fell under :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24th, 2005, 9:06 pm 
I will answer the questions that are relavent to my age if it helps numerically
2. We had exams three times a year. Two were written by the teacher the last was provincial Exams written by an independant provincial teacher and were all the same for the whole province.
If you failed one course you failed the year! No questions asked
4 I had to take french as I lived in Quebec. In those days it was a joke the teacher couldn,t even speak the language. We suffered in later years because of this pratice.Most of the kids I knew had to leave the province.I was lucky I chose a job where talking isn,t required. I work by myself never see a soul!
5 IN quebec you go to cegep for two or three year program and they more or less weed out the good ones who move onto university. I think in Ontario now ita based on you highschool marks The university has set basic marks that you have to have to enter different profesions. If you have taken alot of science and math and have come out with a very high average and let say you want to be an engineer you will have a better chance than the jock who played Football and uses his fingers to count to ten.
I my day it was called grade eleven In quebec you graduated in Grade eleven all other provinces are grade 12 MY daughters called it grade 12 grade 13 was called OAC Can,t remeber what it stands for.
Inside joke: :twisted: I have been going to university for 34 years and still haven,t graduated! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24th, 2005, 10:23 pm 
True Islander

1) At my school we only had a baketball team. I don't think the jocks were very popular. I don't remember if they were. We had a few different groups but everyone mixed well. We had the metal heads they were dope smokers (it was the 80's), the well dressed guys (used to call the little loop on the back of the shirt a "fag tag", the 80's were very anti...well everything), the popular kids who could have been any of the above and then everyone else.

2) End of the year testing? No, never heard of that.

3.) Nope.

4.) French, but once in highschool you don't have to anymore.

5.) No.

6.) Grade 12

Our schools are different than in the US. Junior Highschool is grades 7,8 & 9 Senior Highschool is 10,11 & 12 (Ontario and Quebec used to have grade 13 but I think that's no longer the case.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24th, 2005, 10:26 pm 

If I had to do it all again, I would've done it all by correspondence, and out of a home life that featured and insane and abusive alcoholic dad who dished out tons of verbal and sometimes physical abuse daily.

Without the crap I went through at school AND home, I think I might've done better, who knows.

High schools are rough, but I think it gets even more exacberated in a small town whre everybody knows everybody, and as a consequence you get even more pigeon holed.

I went through tons of verbal and physical abuse by the good folks up at KISH, and the arsehole authorities didn't give a f**k.

Word of warning to all people seeking to move to PEI or inside the island....STAY AWAY FROM KENSINGTON. These are not an overly nice or friendly people.

What's more, they actually had the gall to invite me to their reunion, not like they really wanted me there in the first place. Isn't that like asking a divorced wife to reunite with an ex-husband who beat the crap out of her? f**k that s#!t!

And we all know how bad the Island is for gossip, cliquishness, etc., even amongst grown adults...

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." --Aesop

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2005, 6:42 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

dhughes wrote:
(Ontario and Quebec used to have grade 13 but I think that's no longer the case.)

Ontario used to have Grade 13 but have dropped it. In Québec, it is Grade 11.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2005, 7:10 am 

When I was in school there wasn't any lower then burn out?

MR. PEI

Post subject: Re: What were your school days like here on PEI?
PostPosted: August 25th, 2005, 7:52 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

SAPPHIRE_PHOENIX wrote:
Just kind of curious to see how they may differ from my school experience in the States....

LOL.....weird topic, I know , but thanks to all who answer. :)

My school days were in Québec and were 40-some years ago, but ...

1) Not really. We had school uniforms which was a great equalizer. No one knew (up front) whether you were rich or poor or in between by the way you dressed. No judgements as to one's social strata or personality could be made until you talked to someone and got to know them a bit. We just had friends, classmates you really didn't know that well and classmates you didn't like. Totally unlike what I saw my own kids experience at Three Oaks ... they had all the cliques and social stratas.

2) We had something similar in Grades 10 & 11 when we wrote provincially administered exams (called matriculation exams) but they weren't meant so much to evaluate the school, only the students. But since these exams were meant to ensure that all students in the province were meeting a set provincial standard, I suppose that trends could be measured on a school by school basis and an evaluation made as to whether a particular school was preparing its students for these exams adequately.

3) All that and Winter Carnival. Although proms were reserved solely for Grade 11 (final year), which made it special. Unlike these days when it seems there are proms for elementary school, junior high and high school.

4) Well, we did live in Québec after all, so yes, French was compulsory.

5) Yes. If you had any ambitions towards a post secondary education, you took the SAT's.

6) In Quebec, it was Grade 11. If you wanted to go onto university in Québec (3 year programs), you took Grade 12. But Grade 11 matriculation was sufficient for universities outside of Québec. These days, Grade 12 has been replaced with CEGEP, a kind of junior college/pre university level.

One other difference in Québec in those days ... there was no junior high. Elementary school was grades 1 through 7 and high school was grades 8 thriugh 11. I think (in talking to friends there) that it is all divided into "cycles" now but I'm not sure where one cycle ends and the next cycle begins.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: school daze
PostPosted: August 25th, 2005, 9:44 am 
True Islander

All good ole High School - you know - most people would say that they couldn't wait to get out of school - that they didn't like High School - well - I am the complete opposite.

I LOVED High School - if I could go back in time - it would be to High School - grades' 11 & 12.

Sure - I might have been somewhat of a jock - but I was also the guy who would hang around the "not so jocks" - know what I mean?

I played foodball, rugby & hockey at school - had a great time - but was also involved in the High School Prom. committee (as gay as that might sound - my g'friend at the time was in it - so I was too).

We used to hang out - have laughs - have a great time in school - miss it - miss the laughs.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2005, 11:45 am 

Totally unlike what I saw my own kids experience at Three Oaks ... they had all the cliques and social stratas.

Part of the reason why kids on the Island are like that is because they pick up the very same asinine attitudes from the parents.

How much you enjoy school on the Island is pretty much an accident of birth....how rich you are, how good looking you are, how strong you are. Personalities don't factor much into the equation.

Just because someone comes form a poor household does not make them trash, but people on the Island seem to think otherwise. You are often known by your family name.

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." --Aesop

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2005, 12:09 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

stevebeairsto wrote:
Totally unlike what I saw my own kids experience at Three Oaks ... they had all the cliques and social stratas.

Part of the reason why kids on the Island are like that is because they pick up the very same asinine attitudes from the parents.

How much you enjoy school on the Island is pretty much an accident of birth....how rich you are, how good looking you are, how strong you are. Personalities don't factor much into the equation.

Just because someone comes form a poor household does not make them trash, but people on the Island seem to think otherwise. You are often known by your family name.

According to my sister in New Brunswick and my friends in Québec, their children have experienced pretty much the same thing, maybe even moreso, that you describe and that my kids went through, so it certainly isn't unique to the Island. As I pointed out, the big factor in eliminating that experience from my high school days was the presence of school uniforms ... everybody wore exactly the same clothes, so you pretty much had to get to know someone before you could pass judgement upon whether or not you liked them because you couldn't tell just from looking at them whether they were your "type" (jock, brain, head banger, prep, etc) or not. And upon discovering that a person might not be your "type", you might also discover that you liked that person anyway (and they liked you) and you became a little wiser and mature a little sooner.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2005, 12:23 pm 
True Islander

stevebeairsto wrote:

Bollocks.

Having lived in a number of provinces across Canada - and been involved with children who attended school in cities and rural areas....

Being a teenager in high school is one of lifes toughest experiences. Even at the grade school level - it can be a happy time or a tough time.

PEI has no lock on cliques - on school harrassment - on bullying - on school happiness. For the most part - you make of it what you can - and you pick the friends you are most comfortable with. If others don't want to be your friend - you move on.

I am sorry you had a tough life steve - but you are an adult now. Either get counselling so you can deal with those past issues or put them behind you. Constantly harping about how bad things were for you as a kid is not healthy.

As tough as my schooling was - I enjoyed it - and I would do it all again in a minute.

Philip W

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2005, 2:19 pm 
True Islander

Me too.... I loved highschool... probably because that's when I had the most friend (3.. wow.. *L*) I was the invisible minority... even the teachers didn't reallly know who I was... unless I caused trouble for them... although, I can only think of one of those at the moment.... I spent my lunch hours and free periods in the back room of the library... some afternoons, the principal would come and sit with me... and we'd talk most of the afternoon... I did a lot of work in the library... it was a very enjoyable experience... I actually tried to get a class in what would have been my last semester, just so I could stay another 5 months... I wasn't successful...

I wasn't popular, and I didn't belong to a clique.. and I was teased by people who didn't even know who I was... but when I was in the backroom of the library at Charlottetown Rural with my friends... well... I could have stayed there forever....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2005, 2:32 pm 

Quote:
I am sorry you had a tough life steve - but you are an adult now. Either get counselling so you can deal with those past issues or put them behind you. Constantly harping about how bad things were for you as a kid is not healthy.

who made you god :shock: .............gawd :shock:

harp all u want steve.......................

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2005, 2:37 pm 
True Islander

justanothernickname wrote:
Quote:

who made you god :shock: .............gawd :shock:

harp all u want steve.......................

nick - When someone is always crying out from the pain they suffered then it needs commenting on. Counselling is likely the best option here - steve needs to discuss his anger and resentment with a trained professional.

To ignore it causes as much harm as the original abuse.

No one made me God - Post Traumatic Stress from incidents of abuse in childhood is very real and is very debilitating.

You prefer we compare horror stories? My father was a walking talking a**hole - extreme physical abuse. That was then - this is now - there comes a time when you have to deal with past demons.

Philip W

We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2005, 2:40 pm 

well phil, how do you think people get help...........by talking about it :shock:

and this is a message board...........where people talk.......let him talk :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2005, 2:41 pm 
True Islander

Missed the point didn't ya.

Philip W

We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2005, 2:42 pm 

nope.......... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2005, 2:54 pm 
True Islander

Back on topic...

Riki I went to the Rural also - a bit before your time tho I would say. I was in the pothead group back then - with one of the teachers sons.

Frank Costello was principal - and Carson was VP - both dickheads.

I do remember when both Dovers taught there - Mildred was my home room one year - Had Chester Gillan in History 11 -

I got an email the other day that some sort of a reunion is being planned soon - must follow up on it.

Philip W

We will remember them".

Profile E-mail