Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Fajita Friday at Chartwells UPEI for $5.29 [Remind Me]

Lunch Roast Turkey Buffet at Rodd Charlottetown for $13.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Moving To P.E.I.
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2010, 2:16 pm 
Newly Created Account

Hello all, I am a newly registered member.

My husband and I have decided to move out of Ontario to a more family friendly, people-oriented place, and are seriously considering PEI. We would like to continue working on a part-time basis. Is there any work for freelance IT consultants.

We can set up home or small business networks, troubleshoot, build websites, customized software applications or any other IT related work.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 9th, 2010, 7:54 pm 

my husband and I adore PEI, we live currently southern NB and we are not too far away. So far we have been there twice this summer and we are going back this fall for another visit.

I am not sure how much of a change living in PEI will be to where we live currently, we live in a town that has a population less then 2000, store close at 5:30pm, we do have 2 hours of Sunday shopping in our town but usually do not take advantage of it.

Winter months are spent watching my son play hockey or my husband playing/coaching/refereeing.

If we decide to move it will be because of the job change for my husband, he is currently close by on contract but his next possibly contract is working away for weeks/months at a time but home for a month in the winter and summer and long weekends here and there. Nothing different from what he does now (we works 16 hr days and is too exhausted to do anything but eat and sleep and we do not see him till the end of his shift week).

The only question I have is about the dog community? I am a dog groomer and want to work in my home to be home more with my children. I am very good at my job, and rank as one of the country's best (I compete at a national level). I know how small towns work, how much of a battle will I have with people regarding my business and me being from away? I know in my community it took about 2 years to build my business and then it went kaboom (I now have a full staff and booked a year out) because I am also from away in this community (I have lived here now 18 years) and people only came to my shop out of desperation at first.

Any advice would be great:)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 9th, 2010, 8:15 pm 
True Islander

dog ( and cat ) grooming would be a good fit here, especially lately, lol, as i hear alot of complaints of being shaved too close...and being from away would not hinder you any.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2010, 6:56 pm 

lol take complaints of other groomers with a grain of salt. Cannot tell you ho many times i possible new client over the phone tells me the last groomer shaved their dog and they want the hair left long and fluffy,,,dog comes in for appointment and is a complete pelt, so matted water barely penetrates...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 10th, 2010, 8:14 pm 
True Islander

k2p1e wrote:
lol take complaints of other groomers with a grain of salt. Cannot tell you ho many times i possible new client over the phone tells me the last groomer shaved their dog and they want the hair left long and fluffy,,,dog comes in for appointment and is a complete pelt, so matted water barely penetrates...

lol, i know what you mean, i have done a few, only for the fun of it, shaved a cat a couple of weeks ago , ( next door neighbours ) first time for a cat, it was a lion cut, lol, and turned out great, they loved it and im sure the cat did too when it was over as she was long haired and matted and had a few fleas which they didnt know...i nicked her a few places too , hard not to when they are matted to the skin.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2010, 12:42 pm 

Suzy Q wrote:
i have done a few, only for the fun of it, shaved a cat a couple of weeks ago

Great! Now I know to whom to take my fluff ball next time he needs a good shaving. ;) (He lived through a major home renovation and by the end I swear there was as much sawdust in his coat as fur!)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 11th, 2010, 5:39 pm 
True Islander

sarah11918 wrote:
Suzy Q wrote:
i have done a few, only for the fun of it, shaved a cat a couple of weeks ago

Great! Now I know to whom to take my fluff ball next time he needs a good shaving. ;) (He lived through a major home renovation and by the end I swear there was as much sawdust in his coat as fur!)

Shelley saw her and loved it ..wants me to shave her cat next...lol , you could do it yourself , its really not that hard.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2010, 8:41 pm 

hey be really freakin careful with cats...
#1 they can kill you. I know that sounds ridiculously overkill they have killed groomers in the past with small little bites and scratches (cat scratch fever anyone? I can share a few groomer horror stories of the sweet little beasts)

#2 The skin is not like humans/dogs, it is not attached to the muscle and when you shave the cat and you knick it they can zip open and be very supseptible to infection...

I guess I am over cautious and every knick gets a vet visit afterwards.

but if you can groom they unscathed go for it...I don't groom cats, one of my employees drives 2.5 hours to work twice a week to groom them at our shop and we charge $100/hour for the service.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 11th, 2010, 10:18 pm 
True Islander

and to think i did it for free..lol, the info is good to know, i have never heard of it.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2010, 7:47 pm 

Cat grooming can be lucrative:)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 25th, 2010, 8:32 am 
Newly Created Account

Hello,

Another newbie here! I've recently moved to the island from northern Alberta. My husband was from here and all his family is still here so when the time came, we jumped up and moved. We bought a house in Rustico and I work seasonally (as most jobs are) in Cavendish. My husband will work out west in the winter and I'll do the stay at home mom thing.
Overall, I love living here. Sure, I miss my friends and family but Rustico has been a great place to live so far, it does help that this area is also where my husband was from so he has just picked up where he left off. The people have been friendly and I'm lovin' the short distance to drive to Charlottetown. I have not regretted our move regardless of the job situation, for one moment.

It would be great to meet other parents though in the area, I don't know what kind of programs are offered in PEI, like sport and recreation. I've got a 3 year old who is itching to make new friends and I have no idea where to go. Any thoughts?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 26th, 2010, 10:01 pm 

I am getting excited because my husband may be switching jobs sooner then planned (not by choice;) ).

I am hoping the programs for autism are pretty decent (cannot be worse then we have here:)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 5th, 2010, 7:01 am 
From Away

Pushpin: I find in small communities that play dates work well. Ask your husband and your in-laws who have young children in the community and get them to set up a playdate. North Rustico has a very nice park in the middle of the village. You probably could meet some young children at the park. There was a playgroup that used to meet in New Glasgow. You could ask around to see if they are still running and when. If you don't mind the drive to Charlottetown, there are a few free playgroups. Chances have a drop in play program 892-8744. It is at St. Jean School on Tues., Wed., and Thurs. from 9-11:45 starting on Sept.14th. They also have one on every second Friday at the Town Gym in Stratford from 9:30 - 11:30 starting on Sept.10. There are programs at the Confederation Centre Public Library 368-4644. The Four Neighborhoods Community Health Centre on St. Peters Road has a playgroup Monday and Thursday at 9:30 - 11:30. You need to call and register 368-6931. There are some other programs that you would have to pay for if you want to look at the Charlottetown Recreation Brochure. Even though you don't live in Charlottetown, you can still register you would just have to pay the non-resident fee. Here is the website: http://www.city.charlottetown.pe.ca/par ... ochure.php
There could be other programs in Cornwall and Stratford as well. You could look up their websites. I hope this helps.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2010, 12:51 pm 

Hi all. New to this site. Lots of great information! Thinking of moving my family back to the Maritimes as I am originally from New Glasgow, Nova Scotia. Having been in Calgary for 12 years, it is time to get back to the ocean, good food, and good people. Liking the Cornwall and Stratford areas as they are a few minutes from the "big city" of Charlottetown. My question is this. Looking at opening up a Pub, Bar & Grill, Billiards type of facilty. I know that Charlottetown offers several pubs and also has a Doolys but is this type of venture in your opinion viable in either one of these small towns. I'm not sure of the commercial space in and around these 2 towns. Looking at moving within a year. Is there much in commercial real estate around? Any opinions good and bad will be greatly appreciated. Just doing some research. Thanks guys!
JohnnyMac

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2010, 2:12 pm 
True Islander

I don't know if the business idea would work or not, but it would certainly work better in Stratford than Cornwall.

Cousins of mine grew up in New Glasgow (Younkers)!

PostPosted: September 29th, 2010, 8:21 am 
Almost an Islander

I don't know about Stratford, they already have a bar, I don't know how two would work out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 19th, 2010, 12:44 pm 

Thomas.0313 wrote:
I don't know about Stratford, they already have a bar, I don't know how two would work out.

With the way they're throwing up houses and apartments around Stratford, it couldn't hurt. Most places of Stratford's size have multiple eateries.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 3:32 am 
Tourist

Didn't realise it was almost a year since I last paid a visit here. Several bad things happened in the past year, resulting in us having to put off our move to PEI.

Hoping to get back on track soon, meanwhile just popping in to say happy Sunday to all!

PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 9:30 am 

Good luck with the bad things. The bridge is always open (except in high winds)

PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 9:03 pm 
Tourist

:mrgreen:

Thanks Timothy, Are there any expat Brits on the forum - read of a couple in very old posts yesterday. but not sure if they came to PEI or not. Anyway, another day another dollar here.

Have a great week all!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next