Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Moving To P.E.I.
PostPosted: November 11th, 2009, 9:51 am 
From Away

Not sure how northern ontario you're referring to but I can say I find PEI winters much better than North Bay winters - unfortunately it's still winter.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 11th, 2009, 11:25 am 

As you know our winters can be brutally cold, -40 is normal for us in the dead of winter, and of course 3-4feet of snow comes with it :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 11th, 2009, 11:45 am 
True Islander

Jessica wrote:
As you know our winters can be brutally cold, -40 is normal for us in the dead of winter, and of course 3-4feet of snow comes with it :)

3 to 4 plus feet of snow we can give you... :wink:

PostPosted: November 11th, 2009, 6:13 pm 

My sister moved back home to the Island, after living in Ontario (north of Newmarket in a rural area) and she claims that our Island winter is a lot more moderate then where she lived. She said there was a lot of wind and she lost quite a few days off work due to weather. Granted we do have snow but nothing towards what we had in the 50's and 60's. Our temperature and winter climate seems to have improved, but that's just my opinion.

Right now we are still enjoying a moderate fall and we expect to hit double digits for the weekend. Some people are still golfing and we haven't had any storms yet.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2009, 10:42 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Suzy Q wrote:
Kerry wrote:
Actually, the Save Easy in Kensington is also open on Sundays. I was at the Superstore on Sunday and it was so busy, I can't believe they don't cause a fuss about not being open during the winter. They sure do a booming business on Sundays the rest of the year.
they are open yr around on sunday.....whats with everyone thinking they are not????

The Superstore isn't..just until Christmas. I think some of the smaller grocery stores like in Alberton, K'town and Wellington are allowed to be open because they qualify as a "convenience store" and only have a couple of employees working at a time.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2009, 7:41 am 
Tourist

Hi all,
We finally made the move down to the island from Ontario after some years of planning. Just got settled into Summerside. The long distance move thing went fairly well. Just the usual expected struggles, but nothing overwhelming. Be happy to contribute to a "newcomer thread" :D

Registered Linux User #466250

PostPosted: November 15th, 2009, 9:26 am 
Almost an Islander

Welcome Mike,
We moved here from Ontario a year and a half ago. We are loving it here and have settled in the country about 20 minutes from Summerside on the north shore. I love that I can live in the country but be 20 minutes from all the amenities. Enjoy the island!

PostPosted: November 15th, 2009, 9:44 am 
Tourist

Hi Kerry. Yes, I've been following the posts from afar and glad to see you are enjoying your new home. We are as well. Everyone we have encountered so far has been so helpful and really made the transition here a lot easier.

Registered Linux User #466250

PostPosted: November 19th, 2009, 8:40 pm 

Well you certainly have a sense of timing with the weather changing--then again it'll be colder there than here anyway---- good luck and welcome.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 20th, 2009, 10:47 am 

Thanks guys!

Right now its been very mild for November here, we usually have snow by now!

I remember last Halloween dressing the kids snow pants cause it was snowing so hard and -10! This year it was +2!

Can anyone recommend a moving comapny for long distance?

We are getting quotes and we seem to be sitting around $4,000 to move from Ont. to Pei...

Thanks
Jess

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 20th, 2009, 5:09 pm 
Almost an Islander

I don't know where in Ontario you are but we moved from Niagara and used a moving broker from Hamilton by the name of Micheal Walkinshaw. He works at Pack n' Stor in Hamilton and did a good job. His estimate on half a truck full of stuff was 40lbs out.
A broker will come to your house to see what is being moved, make a list and estimate it's weight. He than sends the job out for bid to all the moving companies and you will get back 4 or 5 different quotes from the ones that responded. We choose a company that represented United and were very happy with the results.
By the way the Broker does not cost you a penny, he gets his kickback from the moving company. And another thing, don't forget all those expensive moving bills can be used in a very healthy write off on your taxes if you are planning to work.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2009, 5:52 pm 

Jessica wrote:
Can anyone recommend a moving comapny for long distance?

We used "Good Ol' Boys" moving to go from Toronto to MB, then MB to PEI. We were pleased enough to use them twice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 20th, 2009, 6:30 pm 

excellent!
I will contact them both!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 21st, 2009, 11:06 am 
Almost an Islander

welcome to Summerside Mike.

i have lived here now 7 1/2 years and love it on the island. I do like Summerside as well. S'side like all cities/towns have their good and bad things about them...you get out of it what you put into it.

Complaining is good for you as long as you're not complaining to the person you're complaining about.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2009, 9:08 am 
Almost an Islander

I used Big Picture Moving Co. who are based in Halifax. They moved us from Vancouver to Charlottetown. Fantastic prices. Basically 1/2 of what we we're quoted in Vancouver and everything arrived intact in a timely manner. I also used Larters for a local move and they too are top notch.

Being from Vancouver where it rains all winter I am looking forward to some serious snow storms. Should be great! :D

PostPosted: November 24th, 2009, 10:24 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

paulb30 wrote:
Being from Vancouver where it rains all winter I am looking forward to some serious snow storms. Should be great! :D

Haha....I'm going to bookmark this so I will remember to revisit your comment, maybe in March, and see how you like them. :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 24th, 2009, 1:58 pm 
Newly Created Account

Quote:
Being from Vancouver where it rains all winter I am looking forward to some serious snow storms. Should be great!

I'm actually moving to PEI from California, and I'd have to say I'm really looking forward to actually seeing some real weather for once! I'm almost 100% im going to eat my words after a few of those storms, but I'm still excited.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 25th, 2009, 7:12 am 
Almost an Islander

Armetis wrote:
paulb30 wrote:

Haha....I'm going to bookmark this so I will remember to revisit your comment, maybe in March, and see how you like them. :P

:lol: ya I know. We will have to revisit this in March/April. I warn you though I really like the snow.

PostPosted: December 9th, 2009, 6:35 am 
True Islander

ahuntemt wrote:
Quote:
Being from Vancouver where it rains all winter I am looking forward to some serious snow storms. Should be great!

I'm actually moving to PEI from California, and I'd have to say I'm really looking forward to actually seeing some real weather for once! I'm almost 100% im going to eat my words after a few of those storms, but I'm still excited.

Didn't California just get snow ?

PostPosted: December 11th, 2009, 11:17 am 
Almost an Islander

ahuntemt wrote:

good luck on your move. I moved here from So. Cal 7 1/2 years ago and love it. it is so nice to have "seasons". I still find joy in all the snow we get. but i have to say, now when there is still snow on the ground in April im done. lol.

I also find myself now very disappointed if we dont have a white christmas. last year wasnt the best for a snowy christmas. how one can change in only a few year. I dont know how i thought having a rainy christmas was the best when growing up....white is so much better!

when are you moving?

Complaining is good for you as long as you're not complaining to the person you're complaining about.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next