* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Possibly relocating to PEI - Any Advice / Info?
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2005, 11:33 pm 
True Islander

Hi there all,

I'm currently living in Alberta and sadly have never been further east in Canada then Alberta (am originally from BC). My husband has been offered a job transfer to PEI (Charlottetown), and so in the process of making our decision on whether or not to accept the transfer, I was doing some research on the area and found this forum.

Do any of you have any advice on Charlottetown & area. We're looking for info on the housing market (and re-saleability in the future - how likely would we be to get what we pay for a new house?), average cost of utilities (gas, electricity, water), things to do as a family (we have a two year old), employment , etc.

I know this is a loaded email...and I certainly do not expect an answer or run down to all of that stuff....I crave info and tend to ask a lot of questions when making big decisions such as this one. Any insight into the area you might be able to offer will be gladly accepted and appreciated :)

Thanks

Leslie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2005, 8:29 am 

I would think you might be a little better to google for your info as residents of most places either love their home and tend to paint a very rosy picture or hate the place and are all gloom & doom & PEI is no different.

Me I love the place and would sooner be here than anywhere else, the health care system has treated me very well over the years and the weather is not all that bad with maybe 3 major snow storms during a winter.

I wish you luck in your decision and no matter what you decide it will be the right decision as you will still be in Canada. If you decide to come to our fair province hopefully if you do happen to not like it you can always transfer somewhere else, if that is the case go for it as it is nice to experience new areas of our great country.

Let us know what your decision is and if you do come to PEI i'm sure the gang on PEIINFO would be only to glad to get together to give you a proper welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2005, 8:32 am 

Paella:
Think you will find housing on the Island cheaper than AB. Re-selling depends a lot on future economy, but you should get back at least what you put in. My electric bill is not a good indication, but I think the average would probably be about $100 per month. Someone from the city should be able to fill you in on water and sewage charges. There are day centers around town. As far as family entertainment, I guess we're the same as anywhere else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2005, 8:57 am 
From Away

http://www.gov.pe.ca/infopei/index.php3 ... a4e0c6c02d

That will have the info you want, or at least links to it anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2005, 9:50 am 
Almost an Islander

Hi Paella, I moved to PEI from Terrace, BC. Love it here. Life is easy and the people are very friendly. It's just like moving into one big family - but you're not a "qualified member" for a long time (I've been here now for the last 15 years!)The weather changes 10 times a day and the wind is never still. We came across from BC with our trailer - found that very handy while looking for a house to buy. The realestate agent was waiting at the trailer camp when we arrived! Never regretted the move.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2005, 10:26 am 
True Islander

Thanks for your replies everyone. I realize that I asked a very loaded question and obviously there are tons of websites that are very informative and I'm thankful for that.

I think the decision has pretty much already been made - we are both excited about the opportunity. I think my trouble is leaving my family so far away...but again, they would only be a few hours by plane if something happened , right?

Ginneke - TERRACE? That's where I was born and raised for 23 years!! Then I moved to Prince George and now am in Grande Prairie. I still get "home" to Terrace a couple times a year as my Mom and Aunt are still living there.

I will keep you all posted on the goings on of this potential and more than likely move :)

Les

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2005, 11:40 am 
True Islander

Other than the weather I'd say PEI is just like any other areas with a small population. The big thing, like Ginneke referred to, is the weather. A lot of people say it's windy here all the time, I guess you get used to it because you really appreciate a windless day.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2005, 1:13 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

You can check out houses for sale at www.mls.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2005, 3:32 pm 
Here is another site to look at for real estate.
http://www.peirea.com/Companies%20and%20Agents.htm
It would be helpful if you told us what part of the island you are going to.
If you go to the far eastern or western part of the island you might have trouble selling your home if it is to expensive. If you are around Summerside or Charlottetown its a whole different story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2005, 5:43 pm 
True Islander

We would be relocating to Charlottetown.

As far as the weather - how is the winter? Windy I can deal with as we are living in one of the windiest places in the west - unreal...anyway, so that isn't a concern really...winter is scary because I see these incredible pictures of people digging their cars out of 10 foot snowbanks - how accurate is that? We get temperatures in the -40 and -50 area here, with the windchill...I imagine with the wet cold you get the temps would be similar.

Les

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2005, 6:36 pm 

I think the coldest we would get around here might be the low -30's with the windchill. As far as the really nasty storms, we might see one of these every 5-6 years.
As far as house prices and being able to sell in the future, the home we purchased 4 years ago has appreciated roughly 35%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2005, 7:26 pm 
paella wrote:
We would be relocating to Charlottetown.

As far as the weather - how is the winter? Windy I can deal with as we are living in one of the windiest places in the west - unreal...anyway, so that isn't a concern really...winter is scary because I see these incredible pictures of people digging their cars out of 10 foot snowbanks - how accurate is that? We get temperatures in the -40 and -50 area here, with the windchill...I imagine with the wet cold you get the temps would be similar.

Les

Islanders are a buch of whimps when it comes to Winter! :P Ya might have to stay home for a day because the roads are closed Don,t sweat it! Ya need quality time with the kids! :lol:
Ya got lots of good shopping Dollarama, Pawn shops, Froggies, and the Sallyann ! :lol:
By moving to the island ya won,t have to listen to Ralph the blowheart Klein and Steve the the perpetual doom and gloom Harper. :lol:
To bad ya didn,t move here last year.For your Saturday entertainment ya could have gone down to the local bootleggers but the crazy city Fathers closed them all down. Real shame! Put alot of people outta work! :(
Talk around the board is the Hells are movin there also. I hope the welcome wagon hostess goes visits them with a good old island welcome and gives them a bouquet of flowers and a free maniquere! :twisted:
In all seriousness I am hoping to one day move there. There is a lot worse places you could live! I have been going there for close to 40 years and lived there for 2 years. As long as you have secure employment you will enjoy the people and the lifesyle. As for shopping you have all the same stores that you would have in any big city. Only they are all in a much more compact area! They actually have goods there that I can,t get in Montreal or Ottawa! Great Beaches, Golf courses and entertainment!
Some people from away get alittle cabin fever Halifax is half a day drive away. Moncton is max 1hour 30 minutes away. Monteal is 12 to 15 hours away.
Charlottetown is one of the more beautiful cities in Canada Next to Summerside(Ya don,t want to upset Champ! :D ) With the money you get for your ranch in Grande Praire you will be living high on the hog in PEI.
Real estate agents like anywhere ALWAYS WORK FOR THE SELLER! A peice of advice don,t tell them where your moving from!
Maybe you shoudl also visit the place before you make any decission.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2005, 7:59 pm 
True Islander

Heheh,

thanks for the words of wisdom, Lanc :) We are hoping we can come for a visit before hand. The move would be closer to September we think and so, in the next couple months, we're hoping to wrangle the company to send us for a quick little trip to check out real estate and get a feel for the area...then we'll make a final decision.

Les

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2005, 8:20 pm 
My sister in law lives in Grand Prairie. She has lived there since the late seventies. I never got there, but it sounds like a great community!
Here is some site that I go to frequently
http://www.rocler.qc.ca/felival/felival.htm
http://www.tignish.com/tour_main.html
http://www.isn.net/susankin/
http://www.gov.pe.ca/islandcam/index.php3
http://www.fpeim.ca/peimun.htm
In the last site go to summerside and they also have a web cam

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2005, 8:45 pm 
Almost an Islander

Lanc, the sally ann (salvation army) thrift store is closed. The rest is all good.
We get one or two big storms per year. I can barley remember the last time we had a white Christmas. Snow doesnt stay till the beginning of January or so.
You will love the beaches. I had a couple of friends that just moved back to Winnipeg from PEI. They were students going to Holland College. They were here for the past year and a half (yes, a boy-girl couple) I worked with the guy for the last year. He said that he would miss the beaches so much. (Along with the people they met) :) We miss our friends.

PEI is a great place. I was born here and I will die here.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2005, 8:51 pm 
Lanc, the sally ann (salvation army) thrift store is closed. The rest is all good
Where's a tourist supposed to spend his tourist dollars! :lol: Walmart! :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2005, 1:11 pm 

Welcome kiddo. Think you'll enjoy it here. I work with an Albertan who has been granted refugee status on PEI and she is quite glad to be here.

Excuse my curiosity, but what type of work does hubby do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2005, 4:33 pm 
True Islander

Lanc, thanks for the links - will check 'em out.

Hagar - hubby is in retail - that's all I can divulge right now. As soon as I can say, I'll let you know :) I'd hate to screw up this move on being a blabbermouth!!! Haha.

The more we talk, the more we're sold on the move - we have some things to iron out with the "powers that be" and hopefully will be able to do some dickering with the mortgage, etc so we won't have penalties to pay.

I'm curious - it appears that in PEI you do not have to pay healthcare premiums, am I dreaming?? I suppose the 10% PST makes up for the premiums though. Here in AB, we're paying over seventy bucks a family every months - ridiculous :(

Here's to hoping we'll be able to apply for refugee status ourselves :)

Les

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2005, 4:50 pm 
paella wrote:

I'm curious - it appears that in PEI you do not have to pay healthcare premiums, am I dreaming?? I suppose the 10% PST makes up for the premiums though. Here in AB, we're paying over seventy bucks a family every months - ridiculous :(

Here's to hoping we'll be able to apply for refugee status ourselves :)

Les

Ya you might be paying heathcare premiums but you probably have a family doctor. Down east there harder to find than hens teeth. I lost mine and it took 6 months to get another one and that is in Ontario. I only got him because my daughter gave me her spot. She lives in another province and can,t find one there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2005, 6:58 pm 
True Islander

Mmm...no family doctors? That's a little disconcerting considering my daughter sees one on a regular basis for a particular problem...hmm.

GP's were hard to come by in northern alberta two years ago, and then we were flooded by them again, which was nice. We even wrangled a new walk in clinic with four doctors available there - so there are lots of options here when we need to see someone on short notice.