* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper Martini Mondays at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $5.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Monday Lunch Special at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.80 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Does PEI suck?
PostPosted: March 7th, 2005, 3:59 pm 

This is partly in response to the discussion "PEI Info has gotten booring."

Okay, I'm sure they meant "boring" -- but in the interest of making the discussion less boring and more booring, I'd like to address the question: "Does PEI suck?"

Travelling around both PEI and the mainland, you'll run into a lot of folks from the Island who love it and will brook no criticism of it … and some who have a real love-hate thing going with the Island. But a certain proportion of both young and old will sum up the Island in two words: "PEI sucks."

Now any place has a certain amount of suckage about it. But what, particularly, sucks and doesn't suck about the Island?

The young primarily complain that the Island is too small, square, hick, and lacking in skateboard parks. (Rotten little punks)

The old complain that all the Island's best people are dead, and that today's shiftless young Islanders won't tuck their damn underwear into thur goldurn pants -- and won't stop makin' a racket with their damn skateboards. (Crabby old geezers)

Remember, let's address recent criticism by keeping the discussion less boring and more booring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2005, 4:15 pm 
Almost an Islander

I am not in either catagory. I am not a young punk sayig that the island is too quiet. I am not so old that all I want to do is complain about anything anytime, no matter what the topic is.

I this PEI is a little of both. We have our problems. There are lots of drugs around. Crime is more evident that it used to be. Our government is pissing away our hard earned money. No arguement there. Same thing happens everywhere.
On the other side of that is that fact that I could not imagine a better place to raise my kids. I know they are safe. I know that when my 8 year old daughter goes up the street to her friends house that she will make it there safely, even if I insist that she calls me when she arrives. I still worry about them. I am a parent. I know that there are challenges that they are facing when I am not around.
I am not one of those people who are always complaining about money. Yes, it is rough sometimes. I am a single parent and I don't have lots of it. Could I make more money if I lived somewhere else? Probably, but I get by. My kids have everything they need even if I have to shop for my own clothes at Value Village. I will never own a new car. No big deal. Not one of us has had to skip a meal yet.
In short, I dont think PEI sucks. I like it here. I wont live anyplace else, ever. Home sweet home. :P :D :) :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2005, 4:24 pm 

Well, tuxgirl, I'm afraid I must disagree (in the interest of keeping things unboring and überbooring).

To paraphrase Homer Simpson: I've seen places that suck, but PEI is full of the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2005, 4:50 pm 

When I was younger I thought it would be so great to get away from the Island. I was tired of everyone knowing everyone and feeling like I couldn't let loose and be who I wanted to be because I was scared of both getting in trouble with and hurting my parents and the rest of my family. I thought it would be so great to go off to the big city where I could truly be anonymous. So... I tried that a couple of times. It was ok. Calgary was ok. Vancouver was beautiful. Neither was home though. After being away a couple of times and being a bit older I can appreciate being home.

Having a kid put things into perspective too. I feel much better raising him here than I would in a big city. Sure, there would be more opportunities for certain things in the city. Museums, art galleries, aquariums, etc. But - he'll have different advantages here. Space to run with the dog, four wheelers, tree forts. When he's close to 16 we'll get him a car and we'll work on it together. And there's plenty of organized activities here too - Scouts, 4H, sports, cadets. I dunno, kids still get in trouble here like they do everywhere, but the trouble kids get into here doesn't seem as bad. Maybe I'm just naive.

As for the work thing - I guess we lucked out. We both work as machinists in the aerospace industry, so lack of year-round employment isn't an issue. I know we could move off-island and make more money, but that's not a consideration right now. And if it ever came down to that, it would probably just be long enough to make enough to pay off the mortgage or whatever and we'd be back. Neither of us can imagine living anywhere else.

So... I gotta say, PEI doesn't suck. Sure, it has certain disadvantages, but I love it here.

And for all the people that say PEI sucks so much - if it's that bad and there's really nothing holding you here, why don't you just go? I mean, I'm not saying that to be a jerk. I think if you spend more time solving your problems than just bitching about them you live a better life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2005, 6:20 pm 
Entertainment Director

Different things suck for different people. I like it here, probably for a lot of the reasons that other people don't. I'm also lucky enough to be in an industry where there's lots of jobs here, so that might sway me a bit.
I can see how people would dislike it here. It's a hard place to break into. I'm never going to be an Islander, and people point that out to me on a regular basis. To be honest, I don't want to be, nothing against anyone who is, of course, but where I'm from is a big part of who I am, just like where I live now is a big part of who I am. For now, all of my future plans revolve around staying here. I'm not saying that won't change, but the visible horizon is here in Charlottetown. I can understand why people want to get out of here, just like I wanted to get out of my hometown. Everywhere sucks for someone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2005, 6:37 pm 
Kitchen Where were you originally from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2005, 6:39 pm 
Entertainment Director

Port Dover, Ontario :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2005, 6:40 pm 
True Islander

this is a direct copy and paste from my blog.. *G*

Saturday, February 26, 2005
My Love of PEI
I left a message on Nick's blog, after geezer squeezer joked about the Island being crap.. well... I can't call myself an Islander if I don't respond, right?? *LOL*
Anyway, what I love the most about PEI is, well, I know it's strange, but it's Charlottetown.. It's a city, but it's a small city... and it's not often that you walk down the street on a nice day and don't see someone you know... most things are in walking distance of everywhere.. and it takes me about an hour and a half to walk from one end of the city to the other.. it's great...
My brother has taken some neat photos of different places in Charlottetown... he likes going through back alleyways in the older parts of the city and seeing some of the stuff that was put in to aid people years ago... like the pulleys on the sides of buildings... some buildings still have these... they were used to get heavier objects to the second and third stories of these buildings... he also took some pictures of the Basillica before they scraped all the black crap off of it.. little pieces of history being washed away... there's a lot of history in our downtown.. and it's neat seeing how the old blends with the new...
I've said it before, but although I may not have been born here, but I plan on living out the rest of my days here.. and although I've only been here about 15 years, I find that this Island feels much more like home than where I live before ever did...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2005, 7:02 pm 

You could always move to Moncton buddee. I hear they are booming :lol:

http://nb.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/PrintStory?filename=nb-growth20050216®ion=Nb

Last edited by Billy on March 7th, 2005, 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2005, 7:57 pm 

Billy wrote:
Quote:
You could always move to Moncton buddee. I hear they are booming

Okay, that's another thing that sucks about suckitty suckhole PEI. How the hell did it ever come to pass that the Island is getting its butt kicked, economically speaking, by freakin' Moncton!!! MONCTON, people!!!

What the hell has Moncton got going for it??!! For years it was the backwater's backwater -- and that was before they lost all that CN Rail gravy. Aside from the Magnetic Hill, they got dick!!

Can you say anything good about a place that's getting smoked by Moncton???!!! --- MONNCTONNNNN????!!! (Can one ever say it loudly and indignantly enough?)

Suck-ass sucko PEI!!! How can it possibly suck any worse?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2005, 8:04 pm 

..............While Saint John saw an increase of 1,400 new jobs this past year, the labour market in Moncton shrank by more than 3,000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2005, 9:08 pm 
Buddee wrote:
Billy wrote:
Quote:
You could always move to Moncton buddee. I hear they are booming

Okay, that's another thing that sucks about suckitty suckhole PEI. How the hell did it ever come to pass that the Island is getting its butt kicked, economically speaking, by freakin' Moncton!!! MONCTON, people!!!

What the hell has Moncton got going for it??!! For years it was the backwater's backwater -- and that was before they lost all that CN Rail gravy. Aside from the Magnetic Hill, they got dick!!

Can you say anything good about a place that's getting smoked by Moncton???!!! --- MONNCTONNNNN????!!! (Can one ever say it loudly and indignantly enough?)

Suck-ass sucko PEI!!! How can it possibly suck any worse?!

Hey Buddee watch it! Moncton has the Tidal Bore. Petcoadiac River and the Chrystal Palace ) I here Kreskin likes to ride the roller coaster) So there! :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2005, 9:28 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

lanc wrote:

Jeez lanc, don't you know it's not polite to ask the from-awayers where they are from?

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2005, 9:40 pm 
FRANKIE wrote:
lanc wrote:

Jeez lanc, don't you know it's not polite to ask the from-awayers where they are from?

I am totally flaberghasted! I don,t know what to say except I am truly sorry! :oops: :oops:
I just learned a new island quirk! :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2005, 11:35 pm 
True Islander

You can be forgiven, Lanc... since you are a CFA as well.... *L* Come to think of it..... dang... so am I..... :oops:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2005, 11:45 pm 
Rikimae wrote:
You can be forgiven, Lanc... since you are a CFA as well.... *L* Come to think of it..... dang... so am I..... :oops:

Thanks Rikimae You have lifted my spirits! :) I will gave you a small smile for that post! But its just not the same considering your CFA! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2005, 11:54 pm 
Entertainment Director

lanc wrote:
FRANKIE wrote:
lanc wrote:

I am totally flaberghasted! I don,t know what to say except I am truly sorry! :oops: :oops:
I just learned a new island quirk! :shock: :shock:

That's okay :) I don't mind. Someone told me the other day I'm not allowed to say I'm from away, because from away is an Island saying and I'm not an Islander :shock: It's kind of a confusing system when you think about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2005, 11:59 pm 
True Islander

It's better than being told that you're a forigner..... one of my dialysis nurses called me that years upon years ago..... come to think of it... she is from away as well....

I just thought of something... my white kitty... he was born here, but his mother was not... she was born in New Glasgow, NS.... does that make him an Islander? or is he not here enough generations to be an Islander??

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2005, 9:28 am 

PEI isn't much fun in the winter, unless you enjoy snowmobiling and wasting your time going to brookvale (what a joke!), or hitting the bars every night (yuck). yes, PEI sucks in the wintertime

the summer, however, rocks.

I love the water, and going down around peakes for a walk. exploring our beaches, exploring the woods, toga parties on the beach, camping trips, basin head, victoria row, events around town, ...PEI is bustling in the summer, and though it's mostly all geared towards tourists, a local can find some fun...and not freeze your nuts off!

i'm already looking forward to biking the island on the paths....mm!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2005, 12:13 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

belle_nelle wrote:
PEI sucks in the wintertime

the summer, however, rocks.

Everything said above could be said about practically any area of Canada ... winter sucks, summer rocks. That's not unique to PEI.

Profile E-mail