* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Describe your favourite Teacher :-)
PostPosted: January 5th, 2005, 6:30 am 
Tourist

My very FIRST post here :D

I'm born and bred Australia (no I'm not a Kangaroo :P ). My favourite teacher was my Yr 7 teacher. The school I was in was small. We only had 7 girls and 5 boys in the entire year level. What I liked about this Teacher, was his ability to encourage me. I was shy then (not now) and he helped me to see that I was good at somethings like English and Sports.

What was your favourite Teacher like and how did they inspire you?

SunnyGirl :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 6th, 2005, 5:36 pm 

Father Francis Bolger. Taught my UPEI history class way back in 1990. If you can imaging Andy Rooney jacked up on an overload of sugar and caffeine you'd have a very good image of what he was like. In the space of three classes he had remembered the name of each of us in the class. Pretty impressive when you consider that there were over 200 of us in that course.

Last edited by HagarTheHorrible on January 6th, 2005, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 6th, 2005, 9:30 pm 
True Islander

Hmmmm My fav teacher was Angel (french pronounciation. She was a Nun but looked like an angel. She was probably responsible for my first woody and because of this, I was convinced I was going to be the first altar boy to go to hell :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 8th, 2005, 12:18 pm 

I had quite a few teachers that I really liked. I remember my guidence counsellor Mr. Germain. He was also my family living class teacher. He was great. Anytime I just needed to talk, he was there. He always made me feel good about myself, and encouraged me to try anything at least once. He was my all time fave!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 8th, 2005, 4:26 pm 
Tourist

HagarTheHorrible wrote:
Father Francis Bolger. Taught my UPEI history class way back in 1990. If you can imaging Andy Rooney jacked up on an overload of sugar and caffeine you'd have a very good image of what he was like. In the space of three classes he had remembered the name of each of us in the class. Pretty impressive when you consider that there were over 200 of us in that course.

LOL, that is soooo funny!!! My husband is a school teacher and he really struggles to remember the names of all his kids :shock: :lol: Mr Bolger sounds like the kind of guy that really would inspire you to want to achieve the very best you could.

SG

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9th, 2005, 10:59 pm 
I guess my favourite teacher was my grade seven teacher. I never was very good at school but this guy new exactly how to teach kids. It was always fun to go to school. The man was totally organized. Every lesson was on Q cards for everyday every course. He would whip through a lesson and then go over it with ever kid that didn,t understand.
One day he was sick with a bad cold. We had a replacement teacher she came from england and must have been seventy-five. Most of us were really not interested in school. Anyways she threw the books away and taught us a history class for two days on the different kings and queens of england. You could here a pin drop it was so quiet in that class. I don,t think I will ever forget her or him. I am fifty seven now and I heard he is still alive and is coming down for a class reunion this summer from Vancouver I would love to see him again! He once brought his brother to school who was a sargent in the Us Marine Corps. He gave us a lecture on the Marines. Half of us were ready to sign up and go to Vietman! But we were to young! :roll: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 10th, 2005, 3:47 am 
Tourist

lanc wrote:
I guess my favourite teacher was my grade seven teacher. I never was very good at school but this guy new exactly how to teach kids. It was always fun to go to school. The man was totally organized. Every lesson was on Q cards for everyday every course. He would whip through a lesson and then go over it with ever kid that didn,t understand.
One day he was sick with a bad cold. We had a replacement teacher she came from england and must have been seventy-five. Most of us were really not interested in school. Anyways she threw the books away and taught us a history class for two days on the different kings and queens of england. You could here a pin drop it was so quiet in that class. I don,t think I will ever forget her or him. I am fifty seven now and I heard he is still alive and is coming down for a class reunion this summer from Vancouver I would love to see him again! He once brought his brother to school who was a sargent in the Us Marine Corps. He gave us a lecture on the Marines. Half of us were ready to sign up and go to Vietman! But we were to young! :roll: :lol:

That is so AWESOME!! Thanks for sharing that ((((((((((((LANC))))))))))))))))

I had a high school teacher that made me want to be the best in the class. His name was Mr Myerson and I never did so well in English as that year :D

SG

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 10th, 2005, 11:23 am 
We had this other male teacher who was very femine in his actions and manors. He also was a grade seven school teacher. For his time he had a totally different approch to teaching. I will use math as an example. He would teach math everyday of the week, week after week till his quota was full . Each night you had to do all the lessons that were in the book if there was lets say 15 lessons on multipication you had to produce 15 lessons the next day. No excuses! I knew kids in his class that had three hours of work each night! Then he would move on to geography and so on. He classroom was full of different things. He had plants, various animals and the room was full of crap! It was rather unique to be in his class. In those days all classrooms were rather sterile places. On Saturday he was always there correcting papers for the full day. He never took time off except Sunday. Any student could go there and hang around on Saturday and was always welcomed! He would allow you to play chess and checkers and taught me how to play chess. He someetimes would buy us a pizza!
Anyways he is still alive and I see him frequently. Funny thing is he must be in his seventies but he looks like he is in his forties!
Most of his students ended up going to university! He was one of the better teachers that I wish I had! If I had a choice it would be very difficult to make as my own teacher and the other one taught grade seven at the same time! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 12th, 2005, 8:21 pm 
True Islander

I would have to say Earl Foster at Colonel Grey High School.

At first I didn't like him at all, I had heard bad things about him from other students; he smelled funny, liked Karate, was strict. Childish of course, the rumours were spread because he was strict, but he got results.

He was, maybe still is, a Math teacher. My other Math teachers were horrible. One was laid back and played music during class; music he liked, not what we liked..stuff from the 60's. The other Math teacher I had was too, not really strict but rather inflexible I suppose. Here's how you do the problem, now do it, can't do it? Wait in line with ten other people waiting to ask him. Each of these guys taught at UPEI too. I still hate them guys I'll explain later.

Mr. Foster was strict but not in a rude or disrespectful way. He wanted you to learn, he knew you could learn. He would "pick volunteers" (I never got that joke at the time) to go to the board, four of us at once, to solve problems. Your heart was pounding as you tried to solve it up there in front of the class, especially if you were shy and if you didn't know how to do the problem. If you didn't know he would show you how, or I should say help you, he'd never tell you the answer just to move on, you'd be up there and three more people would do the next while you finished. It sounds harsh as I write it but it wasn't like that, I know people knew what he was doing.

He would also come stay after school and during holidays to help anyone that wanted extra help. I never went (the shyness) ...I think. In my other classes with the other two teachers my average was about 40%, after being in Mr. Foster's class it was more like 70%. I had a few 80 or 90's if I remember correctly, maybe I'm just remembering what I want to. Anyway I very much appreciated what he did for me even though I never told him that. I learned I could do Math, I wasn't dumb, it wasn't me or not all my fault it was the incompetent teachers i had previously.

Why I hate the other teachers. I failed Math of course, so that meant I had to stay in a homeroom one grade back, in grades 11 and 12 since I was back one year in Math. I passed everything else just not Math. As a result I never got to plan for the Prom during homeroom and I never got to go to UPEI for a tour. I felt left behind. I never went to UPEI, I'm taking a class or two once in awhile. I blamed the two Math teachers and the dummies at the school who should have known what was happening.

Anyway, the past is the past.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 4th, 2005, 7:00 pm 

Well, being from KY, in the USA, I doubt any of you will know mine lol

My favorite teacher was my art teacher, Mrs Thornberry. She was my art teacher for all 4 years of highschool. She was awesome. She was a friend to all of us students as well...whenever we had any problems, she'd lend an unbiased ear.

She tooks us many trips and we always had a blast with her. I graduated highschool in 1997. I miss our talks after class. She is the one who entered me into the young animator's internship for Walt Disney Studios...she entered my work and to my surprise I won a spot. It meant alot that she believed in me. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 4th, 2005, 8:56 pm 

well in Elementary school (we didn't have Junior High in Souris :cry: ), my all time favorite teacher would have to be Mr. Curran. I remember talking to him about books I was reading, and just being a teachers pet.. lol. Besides that Mr. Cheverie (BIG Toronto ML fan.. don't make bets with him, you'll loose trust me!) he rocked.. he was the only one who could scare the hiccups out of me.

I liked all my teachers really.. I was a teachers pet/suckup whatever you want to call it.. even got an award for Library helper.. go figure :oops:

Post subject: My favorite Teacher..
PostPosted: January 24th, 2006, 7:26 am 
Almost an Islander

Hi,

Although I started life on the Island ;) I was born in England, but spent a lot of my childhood in Montreal..

My favorite teacher was my first, at Notre Dame Convent, her name was Mother St.Peter and she taught me joined up writing :D what would she make of computers?.

I always remember on our first day, we were on the steps of the Convent and she had a word with us children, what I remember most was her saying...now children, I want you to know, that I have no favorites!!!
and she never, she was the nicest nun,teacher and lady that I had the pleasure to meet, she was tall and slim..like me ;)

When I went back to Montreal 2yrs ago, sad to say the Convent was now a Resturant :?

At Notre Dame I had the BEST teacher, but the next teacher I had their was the WORST! and I do remember her name..unfortunitly :(

Last edited by Lupinlady on February 2nd, 2007, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 24th, 2006, 7:40 am 
Almost an Islander

lanc wrote:

Hey Lanc,

I would definitly go to the reunion if possible, as I think you would regret it if you did not.

They sounded like two great teachers, I just loved History at school so I am sure I would have liked that old lady from England, as I was brought up in Canada and England, I had the best of both :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 30th, 2006, 4:45 pm 
Tourist

My favorite teacher is one I judge by how they encouraged me and others , how the conducted themselves in the community and in class , and of course their patience with Kids and life in general .

I have to say it would of been Mr Carmody of CRHS( sp ?) My high school grade 12 literature teacher .

He was a man beyond reproach and had a way that made everyone around him feel good about themselves , about learning and especially the literature and the arts .

I still smile when I think of him . He was the highlight of everyday not only for me but alot of people.

If your reading this sir you were well spoken of in the hallways, after class, and even in university.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 30th, 2006, 5:05 pm 
True Islander

I don't remember any Mr. Carmody when I was at CRHS from 93 to 97.....
My favorite teacher there was Mr. McCarville... I'll be he still talks about me.. *LOL*

My favorite teacher of all time was my grade 5 teacher, Mr. M (can't remember what his last name actually was.. everyone just called him that).. he was the teacher who actually lit a fire under my bum and got me interested in writing... he died in 1991... diabetic coma... he was a big sports nut... Habs fan.. *G* I'm told they have a memorial basketball tourney at the school every year now.... Dr. W. A. MacLeod school in Riverton, NS...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2006, 10:36 am 

My favorite teacher was my grade 8 homeroom teacher at Birchwood Junior High School in 1987-88. Mr Bernard Pepin. I was in French Immersion, and Mr. Pepin was the most understanding and dedicated teacher I had for my entire school career. He worked with the students to find a way for each student to achieve their best in a way that worked best for them. Dedicated, he sent home report cards every three weeks, which included all of our tests that had to be signed by our parents. If he noticed our marks slipping, even a little he would call for a parent/student/teacher conference to try and find out if something was going on at school or home or just in the students life in general that might be affecting their performance at school. I was a student who passed grade 7 Late Immersion with barely a 69% but with Mr. Pepin as my teacher and having him as such a great mentor, I began to love school and my marks improved to where I achieved an 84% overall average. He knew how to talk to the students, at their level, understood us. He made learning fun, interesting. He was for sure my favorite, and teacher I remember the most out of any of my teachers at school ever. Not sure if he is still teaching, but if he is, his students should consider themselves lucky. One great teacher! I still remember our class trip to Quebec and Mr. Pepin on the dance floor with the students dancing it up with Mdme Dugay! Fun times indeed. Nice to have some good school memories. I never had a teacher again like Mr. Pepin!

Post subject: Mr.Pepin
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2006, 11:37 am 
Almost an Islander

Hi Fireside,

There are not too many teachers like him about...

What an Ace Teacher he was!

Good for You Mr.Pepin :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 30th, 2006, 7:30 pm 

When I think about it, I had a few bad teachers, the rest were good and about 3 or 4 were great. I'm only going to mention one of the great: Thelma Wooldridge. This lady taught me 4th grade at Rochford Square School (St. Josephs). She probably had no way of knowing the profound effect her little ideas had on shaping her students. Mrs. Wooldridge, if you ever get to this site, know that one person fondly remembers you every week - even after 35 years.

- The Dolphins from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Douglas Adams

Post subject: An Excellent Teacher
PostPosted: May 1st, 2006, 8:51 am 
Almost an Islander

Good for you Thelma Wooldridge, you must have been an excellent teacher to be so fondly remembered after 35yrs....

Well Done!.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2006, 9:34 am 
True Islander

Pogo wrote:
She probably had no way of knowing the profound effect her little ideas had on shaping her students.

I guess she didn't teach you English, because it's "affect" not "effect".

Rob (stoops to a new low)