* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper 25 Cent Wings at Hunter's Ale House for $0.25 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Moving to PEI...maybe
PostPosted: June 5th, 2008, 9:20 am 
Newly Created Account

My husband and I (and kids) are looking at moving to PEI in the next few years.

Can someone give me some names of some nice communities? We are looking at buying a few acres within 15 to 25 minutes of Charlottetown.

We heard jobs are pretty scarce. My husband works in IT. Will he be able to find employment quickly or will it take time?

Oh and... are the winters really bad? We currently live in a pretty bad part of Ontario for snow so it's not a big deal. We just want to know what we are getting into.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2008, 10:16 am 
True Islander

Some jobs can be scarce, but if you are experienced in whatever your field is, then chances are you will find a job on PEI just as you would anywhere else. Jobs in IT are in particular demand on PEI. The Provincial Government recently announced a strategy aimed at increasing employment in a number of sectors, including the IT sector. So depending on exactly what your husband does, I think he might have a good chance at securing employment on the Island. PEI Job Futures is a good website to check to see the employment outlooks for a variety of occupations. It will be updated later this summer with employment outlooks until 2009.
www.pei.jobfutures.org

As for some nice communities, there are a lot of nice communities around Charlottetown. Statford and Cornwall are the two fastest growing communities on PEI, and both are very close to Charlottetown. Hunter River is also a nice little community which is 23km from the City. My personal favorite area would be Sainte Catherines or Bonshaw. They are just outside of Charlottetown and it would take between 20 and 25 minutes to get to Charlottetown from there.

Not sure how to answer the question about bad winters. It doesn't get as cold here like it does in Ottawa for example. Last winter we had a fair amount of snow, but before that, the winters were relatively easy. You'll get some major storms here with 20cm of snow or something, but I don't think our winters are particulary bad really. I don't know where you are at in Ontario, but if you can handle snow, then you could easily handle a PEI winter.

Here is another link with some good information:
http://www.gov.pe.ca/infopei/index.php3?number=2141

Last edited by craiger on June 5th, 2008, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2008, 10:52 am 

craiger wrote:
My personal favorite area would be Sainte Catherines or Bonshaw.

I will concur that these are lovely areas (the St. Catherines in Queens county that is, the one up by Souris I don't know much about). Pretty much the whole south half of Queens County is my favourite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2008, 11:12 am 

North Rustico! Under "Anne's Land" on mls.ca. Beautiful fishing village with great beaches and a good range of shops and services for a community it's size. Though some of the other places suggested are nice, I find that a lot of rural areas in PEI are more on-the-side-of-the-highway type places, more so than small towns with a community feel, they also lack the services North Rustico offers...

- 2 year round restaurants, dozens of seasonal restaurants nearby
- 2 year round grocery stores
- post office
- gas/service station
- full service bank
- full servce hair/tanning/esthetics salon
- pharmacy & doctor's office
- beautiful grade k-9 school
- liquor store
- full service hardware store
- Legion & Lions Club with bowling alley
- Waterfront Boardwalk
- Fire Department with first responders
- 5 minute drive to the Cavendish resort area and all it has to offer

All this in a village of under 1000 people. Additionally, we have a christmas parade and tree lighting, and the best small town Canada Day celebration & fireworks on the Island every July 1st.

Only 20-25 mins to Charlottetown. Or, if you must.. 45 minutes to Summerside. Pretty much right in the middle of PEI. Lots for sale in the area, too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2008, 3:46 pm 

Only thing I would add to the post of Gunnit is: beach. Also might add that taxes would probably be less outside village limits

Post subject: ch'town
PostPosted: June 5th, 2008, 4:28 pm 
From Away

cornwall and stratford are nice areas also

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2008, 4:48 pm 

Timothy Hayseed wrote:
Only thing I would add to the post of Gunnit is: beach. Also might add that taxes would probably be less outside village limits

I did included "beaches" because there are several in the area, did you miss that, and are adding to the list? Or are you correcting me and saying there's only one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2008, 5:02 pm 

Gunit wrote:
Timothy Hayseed wrote:

I did included "beaches" because there are several in the area, did you miss that, and are adding to the list? Or are you correcting me and saying there's only one?

Not to mention a very spectacular display of Christmas lights on several homes...does Clark Griswold live there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qc_RYm0ylA

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2008, 5:43 pm 
Newly Created Account

What about Argyle Shore? There appears to be lots of nice houses on the south east side of Charlotte's Shore.

Is PEI really Anne Happy? I love Anne and LM Montgomery and that's one of the reasons I 'had' to look at moving there. Of course when we were on vacation we were surrounded by tourists. I just think it might get annoying after a while. KWIM?

Post subject: Re: Moving to PEI...maybe
PostPosted: June 5th, 2008, 5:53 pm 
Almost an Islander

tracylori wrote:
We heard jobs are pretty scarce. My husband works in IT. Will he be able to find employment quickly or will it take time?

Should be able to find work fairly quickly, depending on his skill sets and experience. CGI is pretty big out here, as well as a number of smaller companies. One thing to watch for is depending on where you live now and what he does now, he may take a cut in salary... as generally, IT salaries here are less than they are in areas like Ontario.. Something for you to research, anyway...

tracylori wrote:
Oh and... are the winters really bad? We currently live in a pretty bad part of Ontario for snow so it's not a big deal. We just want to know what we are getting into.

It was a longer winter this year with more snow (apparently) than the last few years.. I would say the snow is likely not going to be any worse than where you are now, and quite likely a bit better. Snow removal around here is AWESOME for the roads... make sure you get yourself a service if you have a long driveway... or a snowplow for your truck. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2008, 6:19 pm 

Yeah Gunnit, missed that :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2008, 7:34 pm 

tracylori wrote:

Is PEI really Anne Happy? I love Anne and LM Montgomery and that's one of the reasons I 'had' to look at moving there. Of course when we were on vacation we were surrounded by tourists. I just think it might get annoying after a while. KWIM?

I think most Islanders are indifferent towards Anne. Some may be a bit resentful of seeing her face everywhere...she used to be on licence plates and you would often see people cover her face with a sticker. Others, particularly in the tourism industry, are quite grateful towards Anne and the tourists she brought here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2008, 9:34 pm 
True Islander

Immigration PEI requires all inbound immigrants to dye their hair red prior to disembarking or crossing the flink.

However - if you can trace any family connection back to PEI, then you are only required to dye one side of your head.

If you ever have a child born on PEI - then as the only Islander in your family s/he has certain rules to follow....the primary one being that no Islander will ever admit in public that they have seen the musical. In fact as an Islander it would be odd if s/he did ever actually did see it.

The After party on opening night tho is a riot.

Not sure why peole are saying that the past winter was bad. Normally in late Jan. and most of Feb. when you spit it freezes when it hits the ground. That's about -20 windchill. Warm day. This past winter - ice was our biggest problem.

We get snow. Sometimes lots of it. It is not unusual to be confined to barracks for 3 days in winter. Be sure you love your family. Heat helps. Have back up.

Coming from Ont., land/house prices here will likely not be a shock. As an Islander - I am stunned.

Argyle Shore is beautiful. Canoe Cove is my favorite. Or anywhere from there to Victoria. Shoreland is in huge demand and vanishing daily. However it is not hard to buy land that has an excellent view of the water.

Lots of IT work here. Game designers are in big demand.

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2008, 9:53 am 
Newly Created Account

Phil....you're a riot!

I'm sure my dd wouldn't mind dying her hair red!

I currently live north of "the Big Smoke' and housing prices for a decent 3 bed/1 bath home on a tiny sliver of land (I'm talking you can pass your neighbour a cup of sugar through your side windows close) is 250K to 300K!

We're used to lots of snow. We live in the 'snow belt' which is great for skiing...except that we don't ski. Once or twice a year we get a storm with 30 to 40 cm. And lots of freezing rain throughout, so we probably won't notice much of a difference.

Anyway thanks again for all the comments! We appreciate the input.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2012, 11:21 pm 
Newly Created Account

how about toronto weather vs Charlottetown...Im thinking of moving there but some of my friends are scaring me with the bad weather stories.will i survive???lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 20th, 2012, 8:38 pm 
Almost an Islander

1morefromaway wrote:
how about toronto weather vs Charlottetown...Im thinking of moving there but some of my friends are scaring me with the bad weather stories.will i survive???lol

Canadians, as with most northern residents, I suspect, like to boast of the terrible winter weather they have survived. It is a matter of pride, I think, but a little hard to understand as it mostly involves making sure you have enough food and water on hand for a day or two and the patience to wait for the roads to be cleared. In the winter of 1981-1982 conditions were so bad food was dropped to some residents in remote area in the western part of the province, but to my knowledge that hasn't happened since.

Philipw forgot to mention that. by law, you are required to eat potatoes twice a day :P

Profile E-mail