Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2008, 9:56 pm 
True Islander

I'd say May-June is the worse. Out in the country, it depends if there are wetlands nearby...especially ones with standing water. Obviously, thats where skeeters nests are.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2008, 10:12 pm 

Sounds like you may be surprized at what the actual issues here are, I've heard the bug issues are bigger in other areas in Canada and I have not had any real issues with power outages despite living on a rural road. I was warned when i bought my house that my community is bad for bugs in the summer and snow/wind in the winter, niether haven't lived up to the rep. It is what you make of it. Main issue is business and finding a job, everything else is awesome.

Post subject: Re: LOVING EVERY MINUTE
PostPosted: January 26th, 2008, 10:55 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Heritage Farmer wrote:
We have been here 4 years in May, and every day we bless the 'chance" that bought us to PEI. We cannot believe our luck!
Yes! neighbours are nosey, but who cares? We just tell ours downright fibs for fun, to see how far it will go and how long it will take to get back to us.

We have set up our rare breeds farm and are building a customer base for our 'slow' raised organic meat and veg, we could never afford this much land anywhere else, and we love the fact that round by us, there 5 people per sq km, and 2 of them are us!

We have few family ties, having left the UK in 1992 to live 9 years in Ireland, followed by 3 years in Spain, we have been nomads up till now.
But we are definitely looking forward to spending the rest of our days in beautiful PEI- Canada's best kept secret!

You have a great attitute! :D Sounds like you'd fit in anywhere!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 27th, 2008, 8:08 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Having lived for periods of time in southern Ontario, southern Quebec and northern New Brunswick, my observation is that the bug situation here on PEI is much better. Yes, we have mosquitoes, black flies, etc ... but generally speaking, for shorter times (i.e. black flies) and in less density (mosquitos). Earwigs can be an issue some years but I imagine that other areas of Canada have that problem too after a mild winter.

Power outages? Yes, we have them but honestly, I don't think I've experienced any more "big ones" (more than an hour or two) than I did while living in Montreal ... I went through 3 separate multi-day outages in Montreal while the longest I've experienced on during my 24 years here is about 6 hours. Blips and flickers (just enough to reset a clock, for instance) are more common, but as long as you have good surge protectors for your electronics, that is no big deal.

Your biggest issue will be, as others have noted, being accepted. This is much less of a problem in Charlottetown and Summerside than it is in smaller, more tight knit, communities. Charlottetown especially has a more cosmopolitan attitude since a significant portion of the population there are not native to Charlottetown, either having come "to the big city" from other areas of the province or from other areas of Canada to work for the federal government (Veterans Affairs Canada is headquartered here) or other large and/or specialized businesses who often import skills and talent not always available on the Island.

Your biggest weapon in countering the "CFA" resentment will be in your attitude ... don't come with a condescending, "this is the way we do it in Ontario" attitude and you'll have a much better time of it. Try not to get trapped into conversations that are complaining about some local issue when people know you are from away ... folks here like to complain about things just as much as they do anywhere else, but they bitterly resent CFA's joining in on the complaining ... for example, it is perfectly acceptable for Islanders to bitch about how terrible Island roads are, but if a CFA so much as nods his head to agree with their complaints, they'll turn on you like a pack of wolves defending their cubs :lol:

My ex-wife had the perfect strategy ... she praised anything and everything about the Island (whether she felt that way or not) ... something that Islanders, in their inherent insecurity, lapped up and she was eagerly accepted into the community.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 27th, 2008, 11:58 am 
Almost an Islander

Good post! Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 27th, 2008, 1:26 pm 
True Islander

My son moved to ontario a few years back and he was bored ( was on base ) I mentioned that he should go fishing, and he said nope, he tried it once and almost got eaten alive. He said the ladybugs bite and they are much larger than ours. I was kind of surprised, never heard of them biting until then. By the sounds of what he said, Ontarios bugs are much worse than ours.

I know that indoors we rarely have a fly or bug because our cat considers herself a hunter and kills them before we even see them most times. So i say get a good cat, and you'll be fine ;)

And i do agree with not saying things like ' oh in ontario we do this' etc, that never goes over well. Personally i was born in ontario and we moved here when i was a kid ( my family was from here and all of my siblings were born here too so i was considered an islander by default ) I remember saying things about ontario that were better and my friends were quick to reassure me that i needed to shut up ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2008, 12:05 am 
Almost an Islander

The commute here may take just as long as a city commute would out west, but it is not nearly as stressful! I love driving to work in the morning! Also, because I am not a stressed out basket ase when I get home, I have the energy and attitude to go out and do something.
I find that I have more time and energy to go out and 'do things' here on PEI than in the GTA. I think it has something to do with people here needing to go out and find something to do. For example, with stores closed on Sunday what else is there to do but go to a Rocket (QJMHL) game or the gym or perhaps a friend's for a game of cards?
It a generally cheaper and simpler lifestyle out here. Which I find much more fun and engaging!
I'm highly allergic to mosquitoes and since I am more apt to be in the woods, fields or stagnant body of water on the island than in downtown Toronto, I have found the bugs to be way worse here. But again, I think that speaks more of my own personal lifestyle change than number or the ferocity of the skeeters.
Don't be scared off. Islanders will accept you as long as you come here with an open mind and a good attitude. I guess it has been a bit of an adjustment for the rest of the CFA crowd, but I caught on quickly and have met some of the nicest and friendliest people here!
A meet & greet to meet some of the recent CFAs is a great idea! I'd be there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 3:40 pm 

Thanks again for your posts. All the info is a great help!

Ok, so it sounds like the bugs aren't too bad. That is good. But I have another question, and it concerns the weather again. My wife and I both have trouble with the amount of overcast cloud in S. Ontario. Ee get really down in winter, and we think it is from the constant gray. Gray skies, gray roads, gray snow. So is your winters really gray? I've looked at "sunshine" stats on Environment Canada's website, and it looks like you do get a bit more sun in winter than S. Ont. but it is hard to tell by the numbers only.

BTW I hope you are all fairing ok from the ice storm that hit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 4:15 pm 

Hammer wrote:
Thanks again for your posts. All the info is a great help!

Ok, so it sounds like the bugs aren't too bad. That is good. But I have another question, and it concerns the weather again. My wife and I both have trouble with the amount of overcast cloud in S. Ontario. Ee get really down in winter, and we think it is from the constant gray. Gray skies, gray roads, gray snow. So is your winters really gray? I've looked at "sunshine" stats on Environment Canada's website, and it looks like you do get a bit more sun in winter than S. Ont. but it is hard to tell by the numbers only.

BTW I hope you are all fairing ok from the ice storm that hit.

I think it is generally sunnier here than the GTA, however we do often have large weather systems that seem to hover over the Gulf area for prolonged periods of time.

As your bugs question, it really depends where you are. I have spent many summers in North Rustico, and have never seen a mosquito...but Cavendish (6km to the west) seems to be swarming with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 4:16 pm 
True Islander

Having lived in S. Ont and on the Island, I'd say we get more clear sky here.

The main difference is that our weather is more variable. The joke about any Maritime Region weather system is "If you don't like the weather, just wait around 20 minutes".

An exaggeration, perhaps, but when compared to Ontario weather, not that absurd. Because our weather is an interaction between maritime and land systems, the temperature variations cause some interesting effects. PEI also lacks mountains (even our hills are tiny) so weather tends to pass by rather rapidly.

The main things you'll notice is that you can have a beautiful day, that has short periods of foul weather. In general, our winters tend to be a few degrees warmer then the nearby mainland, while our summers tend to be a few degrees cooler.

When compared to Ontario, you'll find our summers considerably cooler. We seldom hit 30C for more then a few days. We also don't get much of the bitter cold founf in Ontario.

Hope that helps.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 4:36 pm 
Almost an Islander

Ed I couldn't agree with you more. One of the things you should know is that there are alot of green trees all year round so it tends to brighten things up. And the most important when you walk through the trees at night.......look up.........there are stars......lots and lots of them....even on grey days you can still look up at night. And the snow at the side of the roads tend to be tinted reddish brown....not the ugly grey. And besides the ocean is beautiful whether it is grey or not......

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 5:59 pm 

JS, and Ed, glad to hear that the skies and surround aren't so gray. When we were in PEI last Nov. we noticed the green trees, and the ocean. We definitely thought the island was going to be gray in Nov. but were pleasantly surprised. The night sky was amazing too. I had never seen a sky like that, so many stars you could almost touch them. We have a constant orange sky here from the sodium street lamps, no stars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 6:03 pm 
Almost an Islander

Hammer,

My husband and I live in Smithville and are planning the move to PEI this summer too.

He retired from Dofasco in November and we are also tired of the rushing and pollution here. We do plan to find jobs of some kind in PEI.

It seems a lot of people from this area want to move there, so there should be no problem finding like-minded souls to be friends with. Maybe even a Jimmy Buffett fan??

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 6:04 pm 
True Islander

I used to travel to the North Lake area a few times a year, for fishing.

One of the most amazing sights I've ever witnessed, was being in the middle of nowhere, on a night where there was no moon in the sky. The only light was from the stars and once your eyes were used to it, you could walk by starlight.

Having spent many years in the city, it was quite a treat.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 30th, 2008, 1:14 pm 
Tourist

Hi
Have read all this post, with both excitement and fear. We too moving to the island, on June 10th, flights now officially booked.

A 'meet and great' is a brilliant idea, maybe all us newbies, could be friends, help and advise each other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 30th, 2008, 3:14 pm 
True Islander

sharon3 wrote:
Hi
Have read all this post, with both excitement and fear. We too moving to the island, on June 10th, flights now officially booked.

A 'meet and great' is a brilliant idea, maybe all us newbies, could be friends, help and advise each other.

Great to hear Sharon. Looking forward to hearing that Scottish accent :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 30th, 2008, 4:32 pm 
Tourist

Hi everyone

Another couple here about to move to PEI... well we are hoping.

Tres excited!!

We are coming over from Vancouver tomorrow for a couple of days to finalise some stuff and meet my hubby's potential new workmates. If all goes to plan we will have visas* soon and be living there by March.

*brits working in Vancouver at moment

all a bit of a whirlwind.... :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 30th, 2008, 4:41 pm 

wow, it really amazes me to see so many folks moving to PEI! I can't wait to move back home myself, going to go talk to some banker types in March to see if any of them want to give me the money to do it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 30th, 2008, 5:28 pm 
Tourist

Welcome Weegie,

Our numbers seem to be growing, should definately all get together.
Good luck with your visit and potential job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 30th, 2008, 6:21 pm 
Tourist

thanks sharon :)

Just watching the airport websites and weather channel... it pretty wintry at both ends of the country.... 8-[

A meet and greet is a great idea.. if ah git there afore ye ah'll pit the kettle oan.

good luck with your endeavours!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next