* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper Martini Mondays at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $5.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Monday Lunch Special at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.80 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2008, 3:04 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

How often does your power go out? I think ours went off twice in the last year. The longest was for 2 hours.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Moving to PEI
PostPosted: January 25th, 2008, 3:13 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Just Smile wrote:
It would be nice if there was an "Away" club here.

There was a "Newcomers Club" in Summerside when we moved there in the mid-80's. Not sure if it is still in existence, but it saved our sanity during that first year or two :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2008, 3:16 pm 
Just smile made me smile .. a pretty good honest list of things from a just moving here point of view.

And we have already had a couple of storms where power was out for a day or 5 .. LOL ... in certain areas. Something that people would have to adjust to. But that isn't something that is normal. That was an extreme case.

With busy lives and in home entertainment (tv, computers ..) there isn't a lot of visiting your neighbors. But find groups to join ... volunteer ... eventually it will all fall into place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2008, 3:20 pm 
Almost an Islander

Armetis wrote:
How often does your power go out? I think ours went off twice in the last year. The longest was for 2 hours.

I live right in Summerside and since I moved here 5 months ago, the power has gone out half a dozen times from a couple minutes to 2 hours. However some areas ie. Kensington have lost their power for a lot longer.

Bad neighbourhoods and nosey neighbours can happen anywhere! As a newcomer it is your responsiblity to adjust and blend in and make friends. Regardless, you won't be friends with everyone and everyone will know your business.

Just be prepared!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2008, 3:21 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

singlecougar wrote:
And we have already had a couple of storms where power was out for a day or 5 .. LOL ... in certain areas.

I must live in the good part of the Island! :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2008, 3:42 pm 
Almost an Islander

Ours goes out all the time probably at least 15 times or more since September but at least we have a wood stove to keep warm. Our closest neighbour is at least a city block away....I kind of wish we had some ... I've always gotten along well with all my neighbours and the town well no one talks to us at all there........unfortunately we have no history with any of them and that seems to be really important here. We have relatives but again no real history with them either just summer vacations. I've tried joining groups but as soon as you answer the where are you from question everyone stops talking......No one seems to visit people very much maybe its just my family....I guess I am just use to having people around all the time....when your houses are six feet apart its hard to be alone.........but I'm sure someday I'll get use to it

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2008, 3:46 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Just Smile wrote:
Ours goes out all the time probably at least 15 times or more since September

Good gawd! It's kinda fun now and then.....lighting a bunch of candles and playing cards or something.....but 15 times since Sept......not good!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2008, 10:08 pm 
Almost an Islander

OK I am officially terrified to move to PEI :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2008, 10:35 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

paulb30 wrote:
OK I am officially terrified to move to PEI :shock:

LOL Don't be. You'll love it here. I really believe it's what you make it. Get involved and get to know people. I think you'll find that most Islanders are very welcoming.

Just find out where "Just Smile" lives and don't move there! :wink: I've never heard of anyone's power going out that much! Never!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: LOVING EVERY MINUTE
PostPosted: January 26th, 2008, 3:46 pm 
Newly Created Account

We have been here 4 years in May, and every day we bless the 'chance" that bought us to PEI. We cannot believe our luck!
Yes! neighbours are nosey, but who cares? We just tell ours downright fibs for fun, to see how far it will go and how long it will take to get back to us.

We have set up our rare breeds farm and are building a customer base for our 'slow' raised organic meat and veg, we could never afford this much land anywhere else, and we love the fact that round by us, there 5 people per sq km, and 2 of them are us!

We have few family ties, having left the UK in 1992 to live 9 years in Ireland, followed by 3 years in Spain, we have been nomads up till now.
But we are definitely looking forward to spending the rest of our days in beautiful PEI- Canada's best kept secret!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2008, 5:01 pm 
True Islander

I seriously think that when someone does move here, that is the time that we should look at doing a meet and greet. I mean what a great way to start off in a new place, by getting to meet people and having a circle of people that you can find out how things work etc.

When i moved here i did not know who was the best dentist etc, or where to get good sales on certain days etc, Thank God i had a friend that directed me when i was totally clueless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2008, 6:10 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

shelley wrote:
I seriously think that when someone does move here, that is the time that we should look at doing a meet and greet. I mean what a great way to start off in a new place, by getting to meet people and having a circle of people that you can find out how things work etc.

When i moved here i did not know who was the best dentist etc, or where to get good sales on certain days etc, Thank God i had a friend that directed me when i was totally clueless.

What a good idea, Shelley. It's great to hear all the opinions of people who aren't from here coming out of the woodwork.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2008, 6:14 pm 
True Islander

I left PEI in 1973 and returned in 1982. A lot changes in that amount of time.

I found getting involved in a number of volunteer organizations was a great way to integrate into the local scene.

My wife (now ex) did the same and though she is from away, was readily accepted.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2008, 9:06 pm 

Hello again everyone, great to read all the posts. Thank you all for your perspectives. It is good to hear the stories from both islanders and newcomers to PEI. My wife and I have been doing quite a bit of research and continue to do so. We tend to be "planners" so even with all the research and planning we still find it a bit hard to just "dive in" and do the move. My wife and I were talking today while walking our dog (we have no kids) about the possibility of getting involved in the community (in PEI) and were wondering why we don't do it here. We came to the conclusion it was about time. We work so much here, we commute so much here. We have heard that the quality of life is better in PEI. Does this mean we will have extra time for living, as a pose to just working?

Like Armetis said, it is fun to get the candles out every once in a while, but 15 time in the last 5 months is quite a bit. I have had my share of what I would call "off the grid" experiences.

One thing I do worry a little about is the "bugs." 'Just Smile,' when you say bugs do you mean skeeters, black flies and the like? This could be trouble. The cottage experience has exposed me to mass amounts. Chopping wood in the spring can get dangerous! I would start going crazy and next thing I knew, I was swatting at the cloud of bugs in front of me with a spilling maul. Are there worse areas for bugs than others on the island, how long does the season last?

Like many of you have said we truely believe it is about once's outlook, and I hope that we will have a good and positive outlook that will allow us to find new friends. To be frank I've never felt like I fit in in southern Ontario.

We are looking at houses all the time on line. We are planning on going out in the spring to have a look. How much time do you think it would take to find a house. For those who have moved or moved back recently how long did it take you to find a house? (we are thinking of going out for about a week or so) What kind of plan did you have?

Thanks again for all your posts. It is great to have such a forum to talk things out with people who are willing to share.

Last edited by Hammer on January 26th, 2008, 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2008, 9:31 pm 
True Islander

Hammer said;
Quote:
One thing I do worry a little about is the "bugs." 'Just Smile,' when you say bugs do you mean skeeters, black flies and the like? This could be trouble. The cottage experience has exposed me to mass amounts. Chopping wood in the spring can get dangerous! I would start going crazy and next thing I knew, I was swatting at the cloud of bugs in front of me with a spilling maul. Are there worse areas for bugs than others on the island, how long does the season last?

Having lived In Ontario (Kitchener Waterloo) and PEI, I've seen the comparison between bugs, here and there. If JustSmile lived in Hamilton and moved to a rural part of PEI (obvious since they are on 17 acres), she really isn't comparing apples to apples.

I spent a great deal of time in the country recreational areas of Ontario...Levack, Sudbury, Ril Lake, The Nippising, St. Jacobs and Elmira, and I can tell you conclusively that insects on PEI are no different then in a similar rural area of Ontario.

As for power outages, this has been one of the most sever winters we've had in a long time. Anyone living in one of the 2 major cities, will experience few power disruptions. Once again, in rural areas, here and elsewhere, disruptions are to be expected.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2008, 9:42 pm 

Hey Ed, thanks for the comparison bug wise. Ril Lake, would that be the Ril lake of Hwy 117 just outside of Baysville?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2008, 9:48 pm 

Yeah, a PEI commute and one in southern Ontario are 2 different animals. I can only think of one time I've been caught 'in traffic'. There was a fire at the university and I had to double back and take a different street. And even then I only lost about 15 minutes out of my life. :wink: If you live in Charlottetown I'd say the difference between a drive at 8am or 4pm and the same drive in the middle of the night is probably only about 5 minutes. Lots of time for living.

My godfather lives near Brantford and commutes to King Street in Toronto every weekday. Dunno how he has time for a life.

Bugs? I can't imagine it'd be much different here when it comes to mosquitos and the like. The junebugs (in June of all times) are a real nuisance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2008, 9:48 pm 
True Islander

Hammer wrote:
Hey Ed, thanks for the comparison bug wise. Ril Lake, would that be the Ril lake of Hwy 117 just outside of Baysville?

Sounds about right. Just off Hwy 169 not far from Huntsville. Had a friend that had a cottage there.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2008, 9:52 pm 

So the mossy's they come out something fierce in the spring then slowly start to tapper of when the weather warms up a bit? Does the constant wind help any?

Last edited by Hammer on January 26th, 2008, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2008, 9:53 pm 
Almost an Islander

How is Charlottetown area for bugs? In Vancouver it is not bad at all. In Calgary where I have some family I heard it gets nasty.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next