* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special steak & fries at outriders for $5.49 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Time to go...2008
PostPosted: January 21st, 2008, 2:27 pm 
Almost an Islander

Late last summer we were discussing a Finding a J-O-B on PEI thread and I had offered my personal experiences as related to the topic.

Obviously, as the title states, we have come to the realization that, for the second time, our well being lies beyond the shores of this Gentle Island we cherish so much. Inspite of rigorous efforts to secure, on my part, permanent employment rather than short term contract positions, all efforts have fallen short as a result, in my opinion, of the timed honored tradition of "who you know".

As well educated, well trained, and experienced professionals with a combined 48 years of experience in healthcare, education, business, and law enforcement, only my wife has had success in securing the rarest of commodities - a permanent position - on the Island. I, on the other hand, have worked a variety of good contract positions which now are no longer available to any great extent.

The reality is that rather than utilize our retirement savings and investments to sustain us on the Island, we have decided to accept positions stateside pending the completion of US immigration requirements and the sale of our home and property in the spring.

For those who may accuse me of harbouring bitterness, I must admit an element does exist. The most prevailing emotion is one of disappointment that the Island has not moved forward from the closed shop attitudes which still prevail today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2008, 2:46 pm 

All to common a story I'm afraid.

I grew up on PEI during the 1970's and I can remember many abandoned farm houses throughout rural PEI. These were basically economic refugees who fled PEI in the 50's and 60's for southern Ontario and just abandoned their homes here on PEI.

I was speaking with a family member and a former neighbor this past weekend - both in their 80's - and they assured me that they had never seen times as bad as they are right now on the Island. Having lived through both they made the following two points about the current situation as compared to the earlier exodus:

- In the 50's and 60's the rural areas had numerous large families remaining to keep the rural economies going. Not so today.

- In the 50's and 60's the people who left were mostly blue collar types with some high school education. Not so today. Now we are losing our best and brightest.

Very serious times indeed for our Gentle Island.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2008, 8:05 pm 
Almost an Islander

An excellent observation indeed...it would be an interesting exercise to conduct a study of Island high school graduating classes circa 1992 - 2002 to determine how many have completed university or a two year diploma program and secured gainful employment on the Island.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2008, 8:12 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

I had a big long PM ready to send to you, fly, but I figured I'd just post on here that I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL.

Maybe someday you can come back and retire. Best of luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2008, 9:04 pm 
Almost an Islander

Thanks for that Frankie....

The plan in 2001 was a pre-retirement return... work for another 15 years and give us the opportunity to purchase our property and build our last house. Now that we have resigned ourselves to the current realities, the Island will not factor into any future retirement plans once we are stateside and settled in to the area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2008, 10:56 pm 
Almost an Islander

"Sucks being from away"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Time to go...2008
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2008, 7:35 am 
Almost an Islander

Flyonthewall wrote:
Late last summer we were discussing a Finding a J-O-B on PEI thread and I had offered my personal experiences as related to the topic...................

Just an observation. Flyonthewall you apparently possess some of the skills and qualities that most Islanders put no value on, unless you are on a first name basis with their mother... Experience, education, maturity, willing to adapt to change, courage to relocate and so on have little or no bearing when your resume is looked at.

The minute you leave the interview the personnel peon is out on the floor questioning people about 'who' you are, who knows him, what your brother does for a living, what about his wife?, if she has a good job,, well "you don't need this one", did you build a home here? You may have committed a fatal error in not hiring the local carpenter who happens to be the riding captain of the ruling political party and so on, and so on..

Locals determine wether you 'need' the position and if you do get it how will it benefit them or their family..ie will you toe the island line and base your professional decisions on whats best for the status quo?

If one is going to come in with all those "high falutin new idear's" thinking that he was hired to contribute to and improve the business you won't get past the frumpy lady with the 1970's blue hair-do at the front desk to see the boss, her brother.

Calico

Post subject: Re: Time to go...2008
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2008, 9:29 am 
Almost an Islander

Calico wrote:
Flyonthewall wrote:
Late last summer we were discussing a Finding a J-O-B on PEI thread and I had offered my personal experiences as related to the topic...................

Just an observation. Flyonthewall you apparently possess some of the skills and qualities that most Islanders put no value on, unless you are on a first name basis with their mother... Experience, education, maturity, willing to adapt to change, courage to relocate and so on have little or no bearing when your resume is looked at.

The minute you leave the interview the personnel peon is out on the floor questioning people about 'who' you are, who knows him, what your brother does for a living, what about his wife?, if she has a good job,, well "you don't need this one", did you build a home here? You may have committed a fatal error in not hiring the local carpenter who happens to be the riding captain of the ruling political party and so on, and so on..

Locals determine wether you 'need' the position and if you do get it how will it benefit them or their family..ie will you toe the island line and base your professional decisions on whats best for the status quo?

If one is going to come in with all those "high falutin new idear's" thinking that he was hired to contribute to and improve the business you won't get past the frumpy lady with the 1970's blue hair-do at the front desk to see the boss, her brother.

Calico[/q SO TRUE

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2008, 10:33 am 
True Islander

I have had two very secure permanent private sector office jobs and two government positions and only one was obtained from an employer I knew previously (the second private one).

Not saying anything about your job search, just been lucky on my part I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2008, 11:36 am 
Almost an Islander

Do not minimize your success by claiming to be lucky. I am sure it can be attributed to qualifications and your performance during the interview process.

Sometimes the best person is the successful candidate as your experience demonstrates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2008, 11:48 am 
I have to agree ... being a part of the community plays a huge role in some hiring processes around here.

I have a close friend who has a special trade and training. For a year and a half he did contract and seasonal placement jobs in the field he wanted full time employment. He saw people coming in from nowhere getting full time jobs.

It wasn't until he told the kids sports team he was coaching that the next year they would have to find a new coach ... he was going to have to move to secure full time work.

Within 2 weeks his supervisor was at his desk handing him a full time contract.

He says his announcing he had to give up the volunteering in the community because he could not find full time work was what secured his employment. He believes that, although no one ever said it to him. And he really was moving until he got the job.

A major amount of "who you know jobs" tend to be seasonal or term .. and I like to think those who get that type of employment dont benefit in the long run, because long term employment comes from established businesses and not a changing government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2008, 3:44 pm 
Almost an Islander

For as long as I can recall, I have always tried to contribute to community development through volunteering and continued to do so since our return to the Island.

Serving on a number of boards locally and province wide, organizing fundraising campaigns as well as many other activities leaving, I hope, each cause a little better off.

These tasks were undertaken for 2 reasons; primarily, to advance the cause and to develop a network of peers and familiarize them with my skills for future reference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2008, 6:07 pm 
Almost an Islander

Sometimes we fail to see resources close to us...like this discussion board.

Perhaps there is someone reading this site who is seeking a diversely experienced person for their company ?

Briefly stated...

I am an experienced and innovative educator in both a public school and community college setting. Including teaching, curriculum development/implementation, site supervision, and co op program supervision.

I have 12 years experience in law enforcement.

I have project management experience which include human resources, logistics, budget development, marketing, public relations, proposal writing, and client service.

I have owned and operated an independent motorcycle sales and service business as well as a private security business.

Should anyone be interested in meeting to further discuss an employment opportunity, please pm to arrange a time and place.

Thank you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2008, 9:47 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Good idea, fly. I hope you get some replies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 30th, 2008, 5:04 pm 
Almost an Islander

A test for the for the "who you know" system.

I applied for a position yesterday for which my qualifications and experience could have been used to write the posting. Today, I overheard a coffeshop conversation in which this position was the topic of conversation and the successful candidate was named.

It will be interesting to see if this proves to be true after the interviews are held.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 30th, 2008, 5:24 pm 

I hope you get that position FlyonTheWall. First reason is that you sound like someone good to keep here in PEI, second reason is to keep a small hope alive that it's not ALWAYS "who you know". I came here 5 years ago and I got a job but I'm not going anywhere fast because I'm not in the "who you know" loop and performance doesn't seem to be a big factor when moving up the chain. Anyway, got my fingers crossed for you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 30th, 2008, 7:34 pm 
Almost an Islander

Good luck Fly,,, when I relocated back to PEI I would never have got my job if it wasn't for spousal connections. They paid lip service to the other candidates but as I was 'known' in a round'about way I got the job. Small closed knit community. Soon learned don't be stepping on toes or be bringing in policies that will be affecting someone's brother or the community favorites.. It would completely disgust honest people if they actually knew what goes on behind the scenes, the gov't grants, pressure on local lending institutions to make wonky decisions, MLA's cousins flexing their muscle for that juicy snow plowing job,, and so on.

There is less graft and corruption in Ghana west Africa than in west Prince.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 30th, 2008, 8:23 pm 
Almost an Islander

Thank you Jett, much appreciated. And to Calico, I have experienced the pitfalls you speak of many times both here and off Island.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 8th, 2008, 10:25 am 
Almost an Islander

Interviews for the aforementioned positon are scheduled for next week...interesting to see if the coffee shop talk pans out.

On another note, I have been substitute teaching in our local schools for more than a year now and it is common knowledge I would be interested in returning to the classroom on a more regular basis...found out yesterday through coffee shop conversations a fulltime medical leave was coming available asap...I went to the school to discuss the possibliity of filling the spot and was informed it had already been filled...they did not think I was interested so it was not mentioned to me when I worked there earlier in the week.

I will try to find out whose relative was hired....also they can forget me bailing them out when either a retired teacher or uncertified substitute cannot be found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 8th, 2008, 12:07 pm 
True Islander

Flyonthewall wrote:
Interviews for the aforementioned positon are scheduled for next week...interesting to see if the coffee shop talk pans out.

On another note, I have been substitute teaching in our local schools for more than a year now and it is common knowledge I would be interested in returning to the classroom on a more regular basis...found out yesterday through coffee shop conversations a fulltime medical leave was coming available asap...I went to the school to discuss the possibliity of filling the spot and was informed it had already been filled...they did not think I was interested so it was not mentioned to me when I worked there earlier in the week.

I will try to find out whose relative was hired....also they can forget me bailing them out when either a retired teacher or uncertified substitute cannot be found.

So are you a teacher? Is that the kind of work you've been looking for? If so, then I'm not surprised you haven't found full time work. Unless you speak french, the chances of finding full time work as a teacher on PEI are very difficult. My friend is a teacher and she has been doing substituting for the past few years. She has gotten a few contracts when someone is on sick leave, but nothing permanent yet.