Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Taco Bar at Chartwells UPEI for $4.99 [Remind Me]

Supper Martini Mondays at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $5.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Monday Lunch Special at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.80 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Help, property advice please
PostPosted: December 7th, 2007, 5:41 pm 
Tourist

Hello everyone,

Like Paulb30, Moving to island in spring, and was hoping for some advice re; a property we have seen on MLS 07034820, bedford road, Millcove.

Wondered if you could all advice on this property, does anyone know it? What is the area like?

Pictures are helpful, but some real advice, from you all, would be great. So difficult doing things like this from a distance.

Like the idea of being in the country, but close to Charlottetown. What school would our daughter go to, she's 9 yrs old.

Any advice at all would be great, thankyou.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7th, 2007, 5:54 pm 
Almost an Islander

I do not know the house- the area is just outside of town- about 10 minute drive- Some of the children from that area go to L.M Montgomery School, which is (in my opinion) a great school. I have one there and one already passed through there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7th, 2007, 6:09 pm 
True Islander

post a link, may b e able to help you a bit more with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7th, 2007, 6:12 pm 
Tourist

thanks for that, will look up LM Montgomery School. Would'nt be too isolated then, if only 10mins from town. Good to know. Although want countryside, don't want to isolate our daughter too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7th, 2007, 9:00 pm 
Almost an Islander

Great looking house Sharon. I can't believe what you can buy for the $$$ in PEI. Such awesome value.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7th, 2007, 9:20 pm 
Almost an Islander

Here is the link to the school

http://www.edu.pe.ca/lmmontgomery/

There are about 230 students I think- maybe a few less enrolled currently

Class size is great 21/ class usually

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7th, 2007, 11:44 pm 

that house is "cute" but very old.. be prepared to spend 50k+ on it baby

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 8th, 2007, 6:43 am 
Tourist

yes, house is old, but thats okay, needs some work doing, not as old as what we in at moment in Scotland. We like older style properties.
Will be posting looking for local trademans.

thanks for link for school, sounds good, our daughter in class of 30 at present.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 8th, 2007, 1:58 pm 

Gunit wrote:
that house is "cute" but very old.. be prepared to spend 50k+ on it baby

hahah oh my god what's up drunk post :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 8th, 2007, 2:07 pm 
Almost an Islander

If you have facebook, there are a lot of beautiful homes in there under the "marketplace" listings. Dang.....Why isn't anyone looking up west. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 9th, 2007, 8:59 am 

just4kxs wrote:
If you have facebook, there are a lot of beautiful homes in there under the "marketplace" listings. Dang.....Why isn't anyone looking up west. lol

Shhh.. it's the best kept secret :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 10th, 2007, 10:25 am 

We just moved to the island this past spring and wrestled with the route your going now. In the end we decided to just find a place in ch'town to rent and then spend our time getting to know the island before buying. Very happy we decided upon that route, as seeing a house in MLS and in person are very different experiences, specially with a good realtor. Ours told us so much about the island it was like he was a tour guide in his spare time :)

Good luck!

Cul

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 10th, 2007, 11:33 am 
Tourist

Hi Cul,
thanks for that, great speaking to other people who have gone thro same as us. Where have you moved from?

Did think about renting, but decided to buy first if poss, renting very hard with 2 large dogs that are moving with us. not many rental properties out there that will allow pets.

Also decided, did'nt want our daughter settling in rental, then having to uproot again to new place, maybe new school etc.

Have been on island a few times now, and kinda know where we want to settle, so most of spare time spent searching, and trawling MLS for that ideal property.

Although who knows, things could change, thanks for your good wishes.

Sharon

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 10th, 2007, 11:53 am 

When are you coming? You might luck out and find a place to rent with the dogs.

Argyle Shore PEI House for Rent. This house allows dogs and even has a dog run.

I've rented different places that allowed dogs (I'll admit, some of them were less than classy, lol). I believe Slemon Park allows dogs (they did when I lived there anyway) and the houses are pretty decent. I think they may have a waiting list though. Plus, they're in Summerside, which is about... Oh, 45 minutes from Charlottetown I guess, depending on how you drive. =)

I understand about your daughter though - our son's 7 and we've moved five times since he started kindergarten. :shock: We're settled for now I think, lol.

ETA - After having said all that - that looks like a great house! Make sure you find out from the real estate guy how much it cost to heat last year, just so you'll have an idea what you're getting into in that department. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 10th, 2007, 12:55 pm 
Tourist

Hi Chem,

Hope to be over May/June sometime, thanks for link to rental property, someone else mentioned Facebook, did'nt want to sound daft, but i did'nt know what it was.
Will keep looking at both options and see what happens. Have been renting this end for some time now, in preparation for moving over, so kinda want to find us a real home, that belongs to us, now.
Thanks for advice about heating.

Can i ask is it okay to contact seller with questions about property?, whilst we wait our realtor making contact with us, or do we leave it all up to him. Getting impatient, and desperate to know as much as i can about property.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 10th, 2007, 1:06 pm 

I checked out the MLS listing for that property.

Something makes me feel hinky about it. It's way too cheap for the area its in.

I'm thinking there is some due diligence required on your part. Ask the realtor to fax EVERYTHING on that property - all disclosure that he/she has.

There is a tiny bungalow in Millcove for sale for $219,000.

Something is not sitting right with me.

Also, when an MLS listing says house needs "love and affection", that translated means house has "big problems" that require "oodles of cash". Not a home I would buy sight unseen. . .

There are plenty of other just as good or better homes here. . .

Last edited by brianmiller on December 10th, 2007, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 10th, 2007, 1:11 pm 

I just thought of something else - I'm pretty sure Slemon Park requires you to sign a one year lease, so that's probably out for you anyway. You may have to sign up to facebook to view that listing, I'm not sure.

And yeah, renting vs owning - I was so happy to move back to our own place on the Island after renting away for a couple of years. You never really feel settled when you're renting, and there's always the worry that you'll have to move because of the landlord selling the place or whatever. The only good thing about renting was being able to call the landlord whenever something broke and having them have to come and fix it. (And I suppose if I ever had a terrible neighbor I'd be thankful for renting because it would make it easier to get clear of them, lol) And another thing - I can paint the walls here, plant stuff outside, etc etc without having to worry about changing it all back before we move out. =) Finally, when I rent I feel like I'm paying someone else's mortgage off for them. All said, very nice to be back in our own place!

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 10th, 2007, 1:34 pm 
Tourist

Chem,
agree with everything you say, really would love our own home again, free to do with what we want, no restrictions.

Brian,
note what you say, i too thought it was too good to be true, very, very reasonable, hence my posting on this forum, for advice.
It does by looking at pictures, need lots of cosmetic updating, and have been told would need new windows.
I'm realistic, and fully expect that it will also probably need a new kitchen and bathroom in time. So long as its livable whilst we do these things.
Will a home inspection tell me what needs done in detail? There's no PCDS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 10th, 2007, 1:39 pm 

A home inspection would certainly help.

New windows is not enough to warrant such a drastically low price. I'm thinking it probably costs a gazillion dollars to heat - or maybe needs a new oil tank or new furnace.

By all means, get a home inspector.

And ask the real estate agent what he/she means when he/she writes in the MLS listing that this home needs "love and affection"?

It sounds like it has gotten quite decrepit and needs new paint, flooring, windows, heating, bathrooms, et cetera. . .in other words, a major reno that will cost you at least $100,000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 10th, 2007, 1:43 pm 
Tourist

Can i ask the selling agent these questions direct, or do i have go thro a realtor?