* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Excited about moving to PEI- Quick question
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2007, 8:10 pm 
Almost an Islander

Hello,

My wife and I just had a baby girl and we want to move to a less pop culture influenced area. PEI looks beautiful. I am somewhat concerned about the long winters.

Here we have just as much precip. but we get all rain.

How do you guys find the winters? Is it dreadful or is there lots to do?

thanks,

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2007, 8:17 pm 
True Islander

4 seasons on pei
winter
still winter
summer
almost winter.

lots to do wherever you are, its all in what you make it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2007, 8:21 pm 
Almost an Islander

LOL! Ya we like the outdoors. Golf will be big for us in the summer month.... What about gyms? Tennis clubs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2007, 8:24 pm 
True Islander

PEI winters are subject to perspective. When compared to Vancouver, PEI winters are nasty. Compared to Winnipeg, our winters are beautiful.

In fact, PEI winters are slightly milder then the rest of the Maritime provinces.

Since we are surrounded by water, the summers are moderately cooler (about 3 degrees), compared to the region.

Year round, you'll see a heck of a lot more sunshine here, then in Vancouver :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2007, 8:43 pm 
True Islander

paulb30 wrote:
LOL! Ya we like the outdoors. Golf will be big for us in the summer month.... What about gyms? Tennis clubs?

almost more gyms then bars :lol: tennis clubs , not so sure about, although the west royalty fitness center ( the spa) has indoor tennis courts, and theres tennis courts at victoria park, and almost every park come to think off it.

as for golf, pretty soon you'll tee off in north cape and and hit the 18th in east point. must be 30 golf courses on this little piece of sandstone.

Post subject: Welcome
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2007, 9:14 pm 
Almost an Islander

Welcome to PEI

PEI is great - the people here are so friendly that it even makes a bad winter storm fun. Neighbors helping each other, kids making snow fort, etc... Must says that we don't have that many anymore - may have used my snowblower only a few times last year.

The summer is wonderful with the best beaches around, lots of golf courses and tennis courts.

Great place for raising children...

DL

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2007, 10:25 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

We haven't had a good storm in ages. The winters here are not "bad" at all. They are pretty sad, if you ask me! Hardly any snow and I think only one cancellation of school last year? And if I remember correctly it was cancelled in anticipation of a storm that didn't even come. BAH. Don't worry about the "PEI winters". That's a thing of the past.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2007, 9:46 am 
Almost an Islander

Hi paulb30!

I moved to PEI from Toronto about 2 months ago and I am so glad I did it! I am still bracing myself for the first island winter, but so far the only difference I've noticed is that there is way more precipitation here than in Toronto, so being from Vancouver you might not even notice. There actually is a lot to do on the island and I haven't been bored for a second. The gyms have pretty decent facilities and are never packed. Hockey games are also popular and cheap! While there may be more snow here, or a slightly longer winter, there are lots of community events going on every weekend.

This is a great place to raise a family and look forward to having my own family and raising the kids here. Just make sure you get the kids involved in activities so they don't get bored too easily.

Rachel

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2007, 1:10 pm 
Almost an Islander

thanks for the replies. Makes my decision that much easier. :)

Post subject: Re: Excited about moving to PEI- Quick question
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2007, 1:58 pm 
Almost an Islander

paulb30 wrote:
Hello,

My wife and I just had a baby girl and we want to move to a less pop culture influenced area. PEI looks beautiful. I am somewhat concerned about the long winters.

thanks,

Paul

Winters are mild to moderate in snow, as with any maritime climate,, cold today, rain tomorrow.. live against an ocean, go figure.

Your biggest obstacle is,,, are you a 'high falutin ferriner' moving here for a cultural escape and an ideal 'Anne' experience for your family, oops no... you are from away. Strike one,, Alabama North,,, looking for work for yourself, 'are you related to the decision maker or know someone that is?'

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2007, 2:18 pm 
Almost an Islander

Calico wrote:
paulb30 wrote:
Hello,

thanks,

Paul

Winters are mild to moderate in snow, as with any maritime climate,, cold today, rain tomorrow.. live against an ocean, go figure.

Your biggest obstacle is,,, are you a 'high falutin ferriner' moving here for a cultural escape and an ideal 'Anne' experience for your family, oops no... you are from away. Strike one,, Alabama North,,, looking for work for yourself, 'are you related to the decision maker or know someone that is?'

Hi, I won't pretend to have understood the majority of your second paragraph but my wife is the CGA and I wanted to know how quickly we could find employment upon arrival.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2007, 2:39 pm 

paulb30 wrote:
Hi, I won't pretend to have understood the majority of your second paragraph but my wife is the CGA and I wanted to know how quickly we could find employment upon arrival.

You'll likely come across people here who will not be at all respectful of your CHOICE to live on PEI and become an Islander. You'll always be 'From Away'. Ignore those tardnuts and you'll be fine.

Anyway, PEI is a great place. And the great benefit of living here is that no matter where you live you are a always close to the beaches, golf courses, etc... . And almost always close to shopping, restaurants and entertainment. If you plan to live in the country, you could find yourself a nice farm house with lots of acres and still be only 15 minutes from groceries, hockey and shopping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2007, 3:00 pm 
Almost an Islander

I didn't have any difficulty finding employment here! I think employers were interested in me because of my big city experience and how tha perspective that could benefit the company. However, there aren't nearly as many job postings as there are in big cities, so being creative in your search will help. And I promise, the pay is lower but the big tickets items are much less expensive too! Don't get sticker shock on your paycheque :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2007, 3:07 pm 
Almost an Islander

Hi Paul and IslandLady
Welcome!!! Anyone that I ever chat to that moves to the Island is in shock about a couple things that a pretty different.
1st..I would advise a generator and then who cares if we do get snow.
2nd..People say "Hi" even though they don't know you and you will get use to it and learn to like it :)
3rd..If you are moving out of the city, we DO NOT have street lights and deliveries. Some do not like that.
I am up west and we have swimming(and with lessons), squash courts, all year at the Rodd Mill River Resort. We have the tennis court in the summer. Rinks are everywhere and so are gyms.
If you are moving to ChTown, there doesn't seem to be as much snow as up here as I am looking out my window at the snow coming down now :lol:

Post subject: Moving to PEI
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2007, 4:40 pm 

Hi and welcome to the PEI Forums and to PEI, if you so decide to move here. There are two or three new office buildings going up in Charlottetown. Aim Trimark is locating here. A CGA shouldn't have any problem finding work, but as somebody already mentioned, the difference in pay rates will be lower. But then real estate, rental and traffic should be a major improvement from Vancouver.

You should first check out the PEI Government Website. I think there are places where you can place your Resume on line. A CGA could find work at the Provincial or Federal Government areas. PEI Real Estate Companies post their properties on line, so you can view them as well.

PEI is only 140 miles long and the weather can change from East Point to North Cape. Up west (the area west of Summerside and Miscouche) receives weather similar to what New Brunswick gets. Charlottetown doesn't usually get as much snow as up there. In fact, people are still golfing here in PEI. I went to pay my oil bill today and the flowers in the outside flower boxes were still growing (annuals) so go figure. We really haven't had much winter the last five years, but get prepared for WIND, as we have lots of it. That's great in the summer since we never get too hot and it is refreshing. There are lots of activities and living on PEI in the summer is like one giant kitchen party, lots of church concerts, picnics and outdoor activities. Good luck with your move and check out the government sites first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2007, 11:20 pm 
Almost an Islander

Welcome, Paul.

Calico and Ferry Road are pretty darned accurate in their comments. Maybe I can shed a bit of light for you.....

Years ago, at the tourist centers, they used to show a film entitled "Come in from away". It explained that to Islanders there are two parts to the world. PEI and "Away". Anything off the Island is considered Away. And anyone from off the Island is considered "From Away".

I have been off the Island for 25 years. Technically, I am now from "Away". Should I choose to move back to the Island, I have a 50-50 chance of being accepted again as an Islander. It doesn't mattter that my mother was born on PEI, that my grandparents lived on PEI.

Despite the fact that you may be considered 'from Away', Islanders are very friendly people. Yes, your neighbours will talk to you, ask you all kinds of questions, wonder where you came from and why, but seriously, they are wonderful people.

As I sit here in Southern Ontario in minus 10 weather after our first winter storm of the year..... I would gladly move back to PEI for winters. In fact, I spent two winters in PEI plowing snow, and returning to Ontario to landscape for the summer months. Island weather is far different than Ontario, but probably more like what you are accustomed to. Humidity levels are different on the coast(s). It's a different kind of cold, just like a different kind of heat in the summer.

Winters can be harsh, depending on your standards and expectations. I could send you pictures of the last real storm, I believe it was spring 2004, "White Jaun", but that is not indicitive of normal winters. You will have an adjustment period, for sure, but it is certainly something you can cope with.

I like winter, but my body does not like cold. Arthritis is like that. I would be much happier in PEI than I am today in Southern Ontario. The first time you are 'snowed in', you might feel some angst, but once you realize that nothing is really very far away, neighbours are always close by and willing to help, it can become an adventure, and later, just another fact of life, no big deal.

You don't have to have a four wheel drive or a dog team!

My personal experience is you need to worry more about drifting snow than accumulating snow, because of the winds and everything being 'relatively' close to the coast.

And speaking of coast..... don't buy waterfront property until you understand the real issues of erosion in PEI.

Finally, your wife is a CGA, start looking now for a job. Scope out the job boards and ads, consider the government posts as previously noted. Where you or your wife may work could have a large impact on where you look to live. Nothing on PEI will compare to the city of Vancouver.

Best of luck. I am sure you and your family will be happy on PEI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24th, 2007, 12:57 pm 
Almost an Islander

Thanks for all the insight guys. Very interesting. "from away" eh? Sounds like the Wicker Man..... :wink:

Post subject: Winters on PEI
PostPosted: November 24th, 2007, 2:23 pm 

Just for clarification White Juan was our ONE & ONLY snowstorm that we received that whole year. Yes, it did make up for all the others, but Islanders are not wimps and we survived it OK and it made for lots of interesting situations.

As for the "Come From Away-CFA" and never being recognized as an Islander, that perception has been dying out the last few generation as the older people pass on. The main reason people would ask you who you were and who your parents and grandparents were, was to find out if there was a relationship, especially if you were dating or "courting" back then. In small communities like Rustico, Tignish, Souris, a lot of people were inter related and it was best to know "who you were and where you came from." As in any small place, especially Islands there will be more multiple relationships then you would find in bigger cities.

However, PEI has experienced a boost in immigrant population in the last few year. We are an aging population and we need families with young children. So welcome aboard and I hope you prosper and multiply.

I worked in a Federal Government office where we had many non-Islanders working with us. Many of those families settled here and their children are Island born. If your surname is different and you have an accent, or speak differently then the locals, it would just be a normal thing for them to ask you "are you from away?" It doesn't mean that you will never belong or fit in, but it is part of the Island way of life. I don't think most people are offended or consider it to be standoffish. However, their are prudes no matter where you go, so you may find them some here as well When I first worked in Ontario, they always asked me where I was from, since I had the Island twang. When my nieces visit from Ontario, they speak a lot different from the rest of their Island kin, but that doesn't mean they are not accepted.

The schools here now have many different ethnic groups sitting side by side with Islanders. There has been a lot of changes on PEI in the last 10-20 years and we are not too much different then a lot of places. But if you want friendly and a good place to raise a family, then PEI is the BEST.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24th, 2007, 4:35 pm 
True Islander

We're from away and have never got attitude about it - a couple jokes about it, but nothing that caused us to pause and think we were being slammed (or we were just oblivious to it - which is ok too). We have an island-born little girl now, and although we're moving away, I'll always feel tied to the island not just because she's an "islander" but because it's the one home we've had in 10 years that has truly felt "like home". We've loved it here as a young family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24th, 2007, 10:23 pm 
Almost an Islander

Oh, and to expand on geniebot's posts, when islanders ask you your name, they are usually asking your last name :) I guess this is because everyone knows everyone, so they just want to know where you fit into the genepool. Apparently I have the same last name as someone locally famous, and so people get excited when I tell them my last name!

And yes, people will say hi to you. I am learning to adapt to this!